Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Arrow

Old October 20th, 2014, 1:51 pm
Rocket Scientist

Re: Arrow

honestly when they tried to break up the love triangle in season one i think they killed off the wrong character. It really should have been laurel. Her character needs a serious overhaul. Most people hate her and think she is an utter hot mess. The character needs to seek some help, I mean seriously, there's no denying she has a lot going on in her life, but she does not deal with things well at all (and not in a way that would add to the story). Her character is all over the map and I just want some consistency that doesn't seem to ever be there.

My other issue is Sara's death felt really abrupt and not abrupt in a good way. Yes it's good for some deaths to be shocking but this felt like an after thought.Which is one reason why I think it's so hard to pin down her killer and again not in a good way. There was no setup at all and I find myself a little lost in how things ended for her. It feels like they just needed to pull the trigger for laurel to step into the canary suit. I would have much rather there been a little bit of a build to sara's death... not oh hey she's back and oh hey now she's dead.

I think this season will be a good one but they need to even some things out a bit. That said Felicity continues to absolutely steal the show. She is a phenomenal character.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2014, 9:10 pm
Curse Breaker

You realize she was supposed to be a two episode "Easter Egg" in Season 1, right? There actually is a comics character named Felicity Smoak, and this was supposed to be a nod at her. And then she just up and stole the show. Fortunately, these writers seem to mostly accept that fact rather than trying to stomp the character into oblivion (like the Smallville writers did with Chloe Sullivan). However, this is my point. Laurel is practically the only character besides Oliver that the show as currently constituted CAN'T write off. At her worst, this makes her Lana without an expiration date. They need to do major character rehab (particularly because she's supposed to eventually be convincing in the Canary mask and right now...not so much). Their idea of character rehab seems to be pretending that the writing snags they hit last season never existed.

Interestingly, Felicity seems poised to steal two shows at the moment. She has a fan favorite perch in Arrow (and finally two men realize how awesome she is). And she comfortably outshines what pass for female leads over on The Flash which basically means that she gets to steal that show with Tom Cavanaugh during crossover events. To avoid this, the Flash folks are going to have to come up with and carefully cast a strong, funny, vibrant female character for The Flash and realize that it means reshuffling their cast structure.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; October 21st, 2014 at 6:18 pm.
Old October 21st, 2014, 2:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
You realize she was supposed to be a two episode "Easter Egg" in Season 1, right? There actually is a comics character named Felicity Smoak, and this was supposed to be a nod at her. And then she just up and stole the show. Fortunately, these writers seem to mostly accept that fact rather than trying to stomp the character into oblivion (like the Smallville writers did with Chloe Sullivan). However, this is my point. Laurel is practically the only character besides Oliver that the show as currently constituted CAN'T write off. At her worst, this makes her Lana without an expiration date. They need to do major character rehab (particularly because she's supposed to eventually be convincing in the Canary mask and right now...not so much). They're idea of character rehab seems to be pretending that the writing snags they hit last season never existed.
Agreed Laurel has a long LONG way to go before she is really worthy of the canary mask. Her character is so broken and hopefully they can dig her out of the hole she is in.
Quote:
Interestingly, Felicity seems poised to steal two shows at the moment. She has a fan favorite perch in Arrow (and finally two men realize how awesome she is). And she comfortably outshines what pass for female leads over on The Flash which basically means that she gets to steal that show with Tom Cavanaugh during crossover events. To avoid this, the Flash folks are going to have to come up with and carefully cast a strong, funny, vibrant female character for The Flash and realize that it means reshuffling their cast structure.
agreed felicity is such a strong strong character. And you are correct about her on the flash. That said I think Caitlin has the most potential to rise to the occasion. But the flash is still evening out and finding it's stride. It started stronger than most but it still needs some slight tweaks in my opinion. I'm hoping the appearance of firestorm this week will help Caitlin's character a bit as well.

Old October 21st, 2014, 6:17 pm
Curse Breaker

Firestorm....oh *EXPLETIVE*!!!! That better be two REALLY interesting guys...or an interesting guy....that's who comics Felicity ends up with. *runs off to slam forehead against tree Charlie Brown style*

I would agree about Caitlin because that's basically what happened on the first Flash series nearly 25 years ago, and Danielle Pannabaker has a proven track record...well maybe that's a little strong. She's shown she has the ability to give an interesting performance. I still think they're at least one guest star short here. That said, the supporting framework is stronger on Flash than Arrow Cavanaugh and Jesse L. Martin DO have proven track records and Cavanaugh has been awesome so far.

Old October 28th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

yes agreed Cavanaugh has been awesome. I think the things I look forward to most week after week is what twisted thing will happen with his character next. I'm still not sure who he is (or what time he comes from) and I think that's one of the things that makes him so intriguing.

And Arrow is continually stepping up it's game. So many awesome action/fight scenes. And this week's trip with the boys was awesome. I'm ready for some more awesome Thea butt kicking. and Felicity once again steals the show with her multi call scene in front of Ray Palmer. Hilarious!

Old October 29th, 2014, 7:23 pm
Curse Breaker

She took time out from her regular gig to steal an episode of Flash from Cavanaugh (may Cisco never know how close he came to dying). There were fewer edges in her humorous/embarrassing patter. And I think she was wrong that the moment she planned in her head wasn't awesome. It ROCKED. The sad part of all this is that her quick drop by served to demonstrate how lacking both of the supposed female leads are on Flash though I'm still holding out hope for the doc.

Old November 3rd, 2014, 5:09 pm
Curse Breaker

Plus, they definitely missed Felicity on Arrow. Weird how CBS knows how to do cheap remotes, but their sister network hasn't mastered it yet.

About Sarah's death

Spoiler: show
It feels like they're leading more towards Speedy as the culprit...which could be interesting, but seems mostly just sad.

Old November 6th, 2014, 6:12 pm
Curse Breaker

Okay, that might be the most fun Arrow has ever been!!

We went from a single line because she was busy on a spin-off to a Felicity episode. Absolutely adorkably awesome!

I'm suddenly more than ever curious about her father. That will be some complicated casting.

I have to say, I'm still underwhelmed by their attempt at character rehab for Laurel. It feels like that ship has already sailed.

While I enjoyed the backstory, the transformation, and the shift from uncomfortable to awesome to adorable between Felicity and Donna, I have to ask about Ray's question.

After listening to Felicity have explain the concept of texting to her mother (for what's probably the umpteenth time), he asks the understandable, half-joking question

"Were you adopted?" and Felicity jerkily nods and makes an unintelligible noise in her throat. Does that mean "Yes." Or "I get that all the time," or both?

Possible developments concerning Sarah's death are exceptionally intriguing.

Old November 6th, 2014, 6:53 pm
Member of the Order

Felicity is...something..LOL

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 10th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

I <3 Felicity! She is such an amazing character and I loved getting some of her back story. I have to say I'm not entirely sure why everyone is so intrigued by her dad. I'm kinda indifferent about learning more about him. But if it means more felicity im okay with that

Unfortunately I don't love laurel and every time i see her I'm all "who let her out of her cage" cause all she does is make mistakes and not the good kind that seem to support characters beliefs and deepen the story. Her character is just a hot mess.

Old November 10th, 2014, 6:45 pm
Curse Breaker

And again, she's the "heroine" of this piece. They're trying to build toward her taking Sarah's place...and that's not getting any more credible as we go along. It's a worse manifestation of the problem Flash might be having with the writing for its female cast.

Old November 11th, 2014, 1:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
And again, she's the "heroine" of this piece. They're trying to build toward her taking Sarah's place...and that's not getting any more credible as we go along.
agreed the character needs a complete overhaul otherwise this transformation is not going to be believable which is an utter shame because every other character in arrow is so unbelievably strong. I still stick to the fact that they killed the wrong character in season one. I know she's supposed to be the new canary but honestly I miss tommy so much! And his character was actually interesting.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 12:10 am
Curse Breaker

Interesting is a bit of a stretch for Tommy. I wasn't thrilled with the lovestruck "Cupid" stalker or how Oliver tried to resolve it. Felicity does seem to have a type. She is attracted to and attractive to men who would be heroes. The most humorous part of the whole thing is that she's quietly transforming herself into a sort of techie Helen of Troy and is completely unaware of it. There's Oliver, Ray Palmer, Barry, and (according to comics continua) the guy who sealed himself in the particle accelerator the night of the mutation cloud (the one who was engaged to the other tech). That's five heroes who all feel a bond with her. And it does have a romantic element with all of them. Kind of annoying that Barry and Oliver are doing the "break up for the girl's own safety" routine at almost the exact same time.

Doc Wells remains the most interesting and ambiguous thing on The Flash. He is from the future, and he might be The Reverse Flash, but then again, he might not.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 3:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Oh Wells... he is so darn tricksey. I want to know so badly what he is up to. I feel like at this point, if he is the reverse flash it will both be awesome and huge disappointment. I almost want him to be someone else that we aren't expecting.

As for Oliver and the whole we dont get the girls bit... I wanted to smack him. I know he honestly thinks this but he needs to listen to Diggle a bit more often. And now i fear oliver will realize he's wrong just in time for the mother of his child coming back into the picture to mess things up with other obligations. Or maybe it could work in his favor and show him he can have family and be the arrow. who knows.

Either way the crossover was fantastic last night and i can't wait for part 2 tonight!

Old December 6th, 2014, 11:01 am
Curse Breaker

The crossover was cool. I especially liked Diggle's reaction to seeing Barry in action. Also, the more I see Felicity stealing both these series, the more I find myself asking this fun question

"What if Helen of Troy was actually a 'nerd?'"

I mean take a look. Oliver [Green Arrow], "Honey" Ray Palmer [Captain Atom in waiting], Barry [The Flash] and according to comics continuity, that Inferno hero we just caught a glimpse of. That's three heroes confirmed with possibly more on the way. And this is the situation where I understand the attraction.

I don't get Laurel's appeal (for...anyone, really). Sarah matured in an interesting way, but the foundation of that relationship is a total mess. Plus, the whole...um, murder thing. Iris is...frustrating. Sometimes, she seems inspired and interesting, sincere, and alive. Very occasionally, funny. Most of the time she drifts between forgettably cute and forgettably vapid like she's on the Lana Lang track. This is a very large mistake.

Incidentally, while I liked both crossover episodes, I didn't care for two things.

1. Harrison Wells' heaping helping of hypocrisy concerning The Arrow. Especially when you consider HIS actions so far in the series, and he doesn't self-identify as a villain.

2. The fact that they somehow shoehorned a "Red Kryptonite" story (rage version) into The Flash where it doesn't really fit. This has the potential to be a superb series. Do NOT sabotage it!!

Old December 8th, 2014, 2:16 pm
Rocket Scientist

I loved the crossovers. I was surprised that I liked the flash side a bit more than the arrow side, but both were very VERY well done and some of my favorite episodes to date. The two casts work so seamlessly together. It's amazing.

I want to smack Oliver for his "Barry we don't get the girls comment" He needs to get his head out of his butt.

Iris annoys me at times too. For a girl that's supposedly pretty smart, she's super dumb about a lot of things. And for lack of a better word I agree jordmundt6 I find her extremely frustrating.

I'll keep saying it till they fix Laurel's character but she is a hot mess. I was kind glad she didnt play into the crossover. I'm hoping her transformation into Black Canary smooths over her character but I wont hold my breath.

Wells continues to be an utter enigma.

Looking forward to the midseason finales. Lots of good stuff coming

Old December 9th, 2014, 10:38 am
Curse Breaker

The Flash side was more fun. That's why it was easier to enjoy--with Felicity being her usual self and Dig carving a slice of the episode for himself with his reaction to Barry's powers.

Oliver's "relationship advice" to Barry is frustrating for fans of both series. However, this isn't the first time we've seen the "break up for [her] safety" speech. Even L&C had Clark struggle with this same thing a couple of times before Lois put her foot down.

Last edited by jordmundt6; December 11th, 2014 at 6:22 pm.
Old December 9th, 2014, 3:03 pm
Rocket Scientist

yeah I mean i get the "break up for her safety speech" but I was hoping they'd find a new twist on it... It's so tired... we get it... being a superhero is dangerous... it puts you in danger, it puts your friends in family in danger but come on!

Old December 11th, 2014, 6:21 pm
Curse Breaker

There is no way to spin that. Most often the hero is confronted by his own shortcomings (most often his) and makes a rash decision to not allow himself to be the pathway to harm for his beloved, figuring that the heartbreak of separation is better than the soul crushing loss of her death or maiming.

Concerning Wells--he seems to be a living, breathing paradox in several senses.

Last edited by jordmundt6; December 11th, 2014 at 8:51 pm.
Old December 13th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Curse Breaker

An excellent winter finale for Arrow with a decent cliffhanger and two shining Felicity moments. One was humor "Why does this keep happening to me?"

And the other was Oliver's long overdue admission.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television