Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Arrow

Old November 14th, 2013, 10:54 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Arrow

We saw the Canary's non-flashback guest arc come and go. There were a few ripples, but so far nothing earth-shattering. The latest episode was Games in Russia. I come away with a few things

1. The Arrow version of Amanda Waller is surprisingly svelte and stylish (she'd always struck me as having the personality and shape of a bowling ball or a tank).

2. What an absolutely CRIMINAL waste of Summer Glau. Stuntcasting only really works if you give the name something interesting to do. So far, zip. All they're doing so far is enhancing my appreciation for Ms. Smoak.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2013, 1:20 pm
Rocket Scientist

I really liked this latest episode. There was a lot going on. I'm not sure about the canary/sarah storyline or where they are really going with it. And unfortunately i always find the island flashbacks really confusing they come so few and far between and it's often hard to drawn one clear arc between all the scenes. They seem to also skip a lot of time so it gets really confusing. And Sarah's arc in all that seems to be even more confusing as it's unclear whose side she is on and what she's trying to accomplish and how she went from this worthless scared daddy's girl to canary. That storyline leaves something to be desired. I'd love some more information on her training.

As for Diggle's story, I just love his character and I love that he got to play a bigger role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
2. What an absolutely CRIMINAL waste of Summer Glau. Stuntcasting only really works if you give the name something interesting to do. So far, zip. All they're doing so far is enhancing my appreciation for Ms. Smoak.
Agreed. I hope they have something more planned for her other than crawling into be with Oliver and being a wedge between him and Felicity. And I too love Felicity she is one of the best characters on the show.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old November 20th, 2013, 4:59 pm
Curse Breaker

Sarah is supposed to be confusing. We saw her at her endpoint when she came back delivering cryptic messages to Ghul and his kids. The flashback now shows her in the thrall doing whatever she can to survive (including tricking Oliver) but she's trying to spare him. Looks like his metahuman skills and strength might be partially due to being a Serum test subject (which might be interesting).

Old November 29th, 2013, 2:17 pm
Curse Breaker

I wasn't really clamoring for a return of the bananas drug czar, but I'm glad he's been dealt with. I wish Castle's writers would take a hint from this dealing with 3XK.

Old December 9th, 2013, 1:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Just got to say Barry Allen was absolutely fantastic! It's a shame he's getting his own show (or not because he's fantastic) but I really ship him and Felicity!

Old December 9th, 2013, 9:52 pm
Curse Breaker

I...have strong reservations about that, but I'll have to look at the two-parter in its entirety. I'm not a fan of the heroine getting fobbed off on a pair of big shoulders passing thru town just because the writers are bored.

Old December 10th, 2013, 1:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
I...have strong reservations about that, but I'll have to look at the two-parter in its entirety. I'm not a fan of the heroine getting fobbed off on a pair of big shoulders passing thru town just because the writers are bored.
I genuinely think they work well together. I don't think it was a pawn off. I'm actually hoping for a lot of barry allen/arrow crossovers in the future. I think this possibly opens the door for that.

Old December 11th, 2013, 6:47 pm
Curse Breaker

Remember, Hartley shot an Aquaman pilot four years into Smallville. Birds of Prey misfired during Smallville's second season. NCIS Red never materialized. Just because they tease us with a potential spinoff doesn't mean it'll be greenlit.

Okay, I saw the pair back to back. Look, I like the kid. He makes a far more sympathetic and interesting Barry Allen than the 1990 TV show. I like him better than Kyle Gallner. It's a more interesting backstory, and we got a muted origin story for him without detracting from The Arrow. I also believed some of the chemistry they were trying to show between Felicity and Barry. However, at this point, it looks like Chloe Sullivan and Jimmy Olsen on Smallville (with more potential, but not a lot). He's a nice boy and we can see that he's attracted to her (and why). We can see he appeals to her intellectually and as a friend and...maybe we could see a date or two. But a long-term relationship? No. When they launch this series, I'm sure they'll give him zippy female costar with brains and looks that he can play off more easily.

Last edited by jordmundt6; October 8th, 2014 at 4:21 am.
Old October 8th, 2014, 4:27 am
Curse Breaker

And Arrow has its very own bouncing baby spinoff! I like the cast. Cavanaugh is a good choice to play an ambiguous character, and Jesse L. Martin lends more credibility to the police scenes than they might otherwise have. I...don't know about Iris or the doc. Iris is supposed to be working on her doctorate, but Barry routinely leaves her in the dust...is her doctorate in a vastly different field (like say English Literature) and she works as a waitress to make ends meet? Not sure. The meeting between Barry and Oliver to link the two shows was entertaining (though I can't imagine dour Oliver saying "Cool" in any situations--maybe before The Island). Nice potential, and a good mix of FoTW possibilities (like the old Smallville formula) and overarching plot. We'll see where it goes from here. It'll also be interesting to see how both series develop alongside one another.

Old October 8th, 2014, 1:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

Yes! I really enjoyed the Flash and the Arrow crossover there. It started out a tad on the cheesy side with Barry and Iris, but it quickly settled so that was good. I think Iris' PHD is in something liberal arts but not 100% sure. I really liked the meeting between Oliver and Barry, but I'm kind of mad they spoiled the whole scene in the previews. I was hoping there'd be more there and there wasnt. Guess I'll have to wait for their crossover episodes which should be awesome... I'm curious to see since there was a Barry/Felicity moment in the look ahead. Sounds like Felicity is going to have a lot of guys vying for her attention this year. Which I gotta say, about damn time!

Old October 10th, 2014, 5:31 am
Curse Breaker

Okay, look. They want these two shows to exist in parallel, in the same universe. They've got two different guys claiming to be the head of Star Labs, neither of whom actually is, but they're supposed to be occupying the same space. On Arrow, we have Ray Palmer (played by Brandon Routh who's already giving me Daniel Shaw nightmares from one episode). And on Flash, we have Dr. Wells (who is probably someone else from a different time, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish). Neither of these guys is or ever was the head of Star Labs in any other continuum (so probably not in this one either). This would bug me, even without the bad memories I have of Agent Shaw.

Old October 10th, 2014, 1:59 pm
Member of the Order

I'm pretty sure the head of STAR labs is going to be a major plot point. The writers haven't been at all sloppy and the differences are likely deliberate.
Perhaps a certain Dr. Martin Stein's arrival will shake things up...

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old October 10th, 2014, 2:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

wait I dont remember them ever saying ray palmer was the head of star labs... did I miss something? I thought he was just trying to buy or take over queen consolidated... which is also interesting considering the newspaper at the end of the flash...

Old October 12th, 2014, 5:46 pm
Curse Breaker

This is the danger of not being conversant in comics. I misunderstood. At this point, Ray Palmer is an inventor who's made a gazillion dollars and now wants his next project to be...rebuilding a city. Like crossing Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Ballmer with George Marshall. Ray Palmer has his own storied comic history--and the city rebranding he's proposing actually brings Arrow into line with the comics continuities. I just had too many bad Agent Shaw memories to see this straight.

Better question going forward: "Et tu Speedy?" Has our nutty little trust fund baby gone over to the Dark Side black arrows and all? All thoughts rebuttals, and theories are welcome.

Old October 13th, 2014, 1:10 pm
Rocket Scientist

I'm not overly familiar with the comics but someone did bring to my attention that his suggested name change brought things more in line with them. That said I think some things in Arrow have purposefully strayed from the comics to create it's own world for the tv show. I'm not aware of ray palmer's background though.

As far as the mysterious archer. Not sure if we have another copycat on our hands, or if it's merlyn himself, or if this is someone who works for Ra's al ghul (since he is the big bad this season) or if this is something completely unrelated. I'll be curious to see where this mysterious archer leads though.

Old October 13th, 2014, 1:35 pm
Member of the Order

I'm not too familiar with Palmer's background either. I just know who he eventually becomes.
As for the show, it's like a lot of things...a re-imagining of the comic books.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old October 13th, 2014, 6:15 pm
Curse Breaker

Yes, but as with Smallville--it's meant to be an origin story. We see how the characters we meet develop into the characters we knew from other continua.

You can already tell my guess for the person who shot Sarah.
Spoiler: show
Little sis Thea after Malcolm's poured three months of poison and training into her
I didn't hear that al Ghul was going to be the Big Bad this season. Where'd you hear about that?

And about Palmer, I was referring to who he'll become myself, nothing more. It was a misread of the character based on Agent Shaw nightmares and annoyance.

Old October 14th, 2014, 2:15 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:

You can already tell my guess for the person who shot Sarah.
Little sis Thea after Malcolm's poured three months of poison and training into her
Hmmm that's an interesting theory... I'm just wondering what the motive would be...

Quote:
I didn't hear that al Ghul was going to be the Big Bad this season. Where'd you hear about that?
I've actually seen it a ton of places... here's a couple articles but beware spoilers...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/08/ar...son3-spoilers/

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/27/ar...-ghul-trailer/

http://tvline.com/2014/07/27/arrow-s...r-ras-al-ghul/

Old October 16th, 2014, 8:27 pm
Curse Breaker

Let me just take a second to pause and applaud Tom Cavanaugh for doing a sweet Ripper Giles impression in the first couple weeks of The Flash. I still don't know what "Wells'" real agenda is, but he's proven awesome as he pursues it. I'm still concerned about the casting of the actresses in this show and not thrilled that the blond cop is turning into a passive combination of Riley Finn and Whitney Fordman. Nothing to work with there. Nothing. And yet...this series has real possibilities.

Old October 18th, 2014, 2:55 pm
Curse Breaker

I'm breaking protocol here slightly, but I thought the last episode deserved its own post.

First, I'm having a hard time seeing Ray Palmer as a Steve Jobs or a put-together version of Stephen Bartowski. Again, that could just be bad memories from other roles. I hope I'm wrong. It's good to see Felicity branching out and getting financial compensation for her brilliance. It's also interesting that Ray's plan is something Oliver would endorse to help the city, but he wouldn't have the authority to pull it off. However, we've been down similar roads before with wolves in shepherds' clothing (first, Malcolm Merlyn--who stubbornly refuses to die despite being completely uninteresting; and then Sebastian Blood). So, I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic about this.

Sadly, almost a complete waste of Sarah, and certainly a waste of her death. This is really stupid because she's much more interesting than her "more important" elder sister Laurel who they really aren't bothering to rehab as a character. This is a serious ongoing problem because they seem to have Laurel locked into the path of her comics character. She MUST improve. We're stuck with her. There isn't even the hope of her being written off the show like Lana in Smallville because Oliver's not supposed to outgrow her. He's not supposed to need to. Almost like Lana with no expiration date--though Laurel isn't quite that bad. The writing isn't doing her any favors, though.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television