Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Arrow

Old January 19th, 2013, 4:13 am
First Year

Re: Arrow

Arrow is best show i ever watched. Now i am watching 10th episode of this show and enjoying it.

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2013, 5:40 pm
Curse Breaker

Hmm, it's okay. I...well, so far there doesn't appear to be a FATAL FLAW in the casting like Kristin Kreuk on Smallville, but...well, I like it. It's not appointment television, but it's entertaining. That's pretty much the bar for the CW these days--is it entertaining?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old January 21st, 2013, 2:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Hmm, it's okay. I...well, so far there doesn't appear to be a FATAL FLAW in the casting like Kristin Kreuk on Smallville, but...well, I like it. It's not appointment television, but it's entertaining. That's pretty much the bar for the CW these days--is it entertaining?
isnt that the truth? I like arrow but it isnt one i feel like i must watch every week. It is entertaining though so i do watch.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old February 20th, 2013, 8:09 am
Curse Breaker

I find I like the tech. Probably just Chloe Sullivan nostalgia on my part.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 7:48 am
Curse Breaker

Okay, I'm getting lost here. So far, they've introduced both versions of speedy and killed off the "original" version of Deathstroke. I got my Chloe substitute fix two episodes ago with the robber who favored exploding collars for his hostages. I...I'm really confused about the Merlin vs. Queen rivalry/dichotomy/war for the soul of the city. They both seem to have similar visions and go to extraordinary lengths to make them real, but...what? Oliver still knows there's a line somewhere?

On a side note--it is great to see Kelly Hu recur as a assassin, but that white wig is the stupidest costume prop in creation. I know it's supposed to be necessary for the "look" of her character, but it's still stupid. She's more intimidating with her real hair in a dress than in stealth gear with that wig.

Last edited by jordmundt6; March 4th, 2013 at 2:56 am.
Old May 29th, 2013, 5:53 pm
Curse Breaker

Interesting ending for the first season, but Arrow seems well set up for a second year, even without the junior Merlin.

Old May 30th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Interesting ending for the first season, but Arrow seems well set up for a second year, even without the junior Merlin.
I loved loved loved the finale except for that bit! It made me so sad. He's my favorite character and I loved Colin Donnell (who by coincidence grew up where I live and graduated in the same year as me just at a different high school right down the road, small world!)

I'm definitely looking forward to next season. They really picked things up in the back half of the first season and raised the stakes

Old June 6th, 2013, 3:39 am
Curse Breaker

Things did pick up and the table is set quite interestingly for Season 2, but I could really do without the sanctifying self-sacrificing death of the Younger Merlin. It felt like his last scene was just tacked on there to put an artificial barrier between Oliver and D.L., er, Laurel. Not necessary. There are already other barriers between them. We didn't need this artificial one.

Looks like the jokes on Colton Haynes for jumping from series regular and foil on MTV summer fare to absolutely forgettable scenery as Roy Harper on the CW. Besides jumping from regular in summer fare to little-used recurring character on the runt mainstream network is a lateral move even in the best circumstances.

Old June 6th, 2013, 1:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Things did pick up and the table is set quite interestingly for Season 2, but I could really do without the sanctifying self-sacrificing death of the Younger Merlin. It felt like his last scene was just tacked on there to put an artificial barrier between Oliver and D.L., er, Laurel. Not necessary. There are already other barriers between them. We didn't need this artificial one.
yeah i really dont like the way all that went down. It wasnt very satisfying especially since they didnt show what happened first laurel is in trouble then its tommy under the beam. Like what? I dont understand... and right after he was starting to redeem himself. Apparently no one is allowed to be happy in TV or books

Old June 30th, 2013, 3:12 am
Curse Breaker

They were using him as a wedge to drive Oliver and D.L. apart. He's the embodiment of the wall between them now and because he died saving her there's almost no way to get past it. They're hedging their bets.

Old October 12th, 2013, 9:51 pm
Curse Breaker

I--look, I think this has potential. I'm thrilled that Felicity Smoak is a regular, and the casting of Summer Glau as a female villain has some possibilities, but
Spoiler: show
so far all she does is show up in a business suit and present a bland stone face
. Seeing Oliver graduate from vigilante to hero might be quite entertaining.

Preview indicates that China White is returning
next episode, or already did return to give Roy some false hope. Right now, I'd settle for this meaning the return of the excellent and gorgeous Kelly Hu, even though I still HATE that wig

Old October 14th, 2013, 1:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

I really like where season two is headed. That said, I'm so sad that they keep mentioning Tommy at every turn. I get it he was a huge loss, and I'm really going to miss his character but if this persists all season I'm going to go crazy!

I'm excited for Summer Glau's character. I think it has a lot of potential.

Laurel is starting to drive me crazy. And Oliver needs to just go run off with Felicity already

Old October 14th, 2013, 8:49 pm
Curse Breaker

I want Felicity to be fabulously, delieriously happy in love while serving as the tech expert to a hero. If that's with Oliver, so be it. But, I get the sense that isn't a good fit. I don't want her to be Oliver's consolation prize for walking away from the mess that is the Lance family that verges on the criminal garbage they kept trying on Smallville with the excellent Chloe Sullivan. And her "happy ending" with a much lesser version of Oliver was stupid, not credible, and unsatisfying. I want her (Felicity this time, but I had the same frustrated hopes for Chloe) in a relationship with someone who truly sees, understands, and loves all aspects of her. A true partner and equal.

And I will say this, as charming and cool as Felicity is, she's a variation of a lesser version of Chloe.

Old October 15th, 2013, 2:02 pm
Rocket Scientist

I don't watch Smallville so sadly I can't relate to the comparison but I agree I think Felicity deserves someone who will treat her right and I'm hoping that will come about with the growth of Oliver's character this season but we shall see what happens.

Old October 20th, 2013, 7:12 pm
Curse Breaker

Saw the most recent episode. Too bad about Dig's relationship. The most fun in the whole episode was Felicity fuming about being turned into a gal Friday. I particularly loved her calming herself down from the embarrassment of an unfortunately worded sentence "3...2, 1" and she was off on her rant again. Excellent.

Old October 21st, 2013, 2:48 pm
Rocket Scientist

yeah i feel bad for diggle poor guy. but i loved felicity in this episode. She was awesome! Way to give Oliver hell! That's why i love her.

Old October 21st, 2013, 3:51 pm
Curse Breaker

The verbal jousting was great. It wasn't just that, though. They did a pretty cheap writing trick, having her almost Freudian slip about the hero work, but her delivery of the line, particularly her pulling herself together after the slip, was both cute and awesome.

Old October 30th, 2013, 7:41 pm
Curse Breaker

Nice episode last week:

Seeing Laurel work through her guilt and The Arrow save both Lances was excellent. Getting a view of the First Canary was interesting

Which brings me to a question--I was under the impression that the Black Canary was Dinah Lance in the comics. Is there an iteration of the BC that's connected to Ras Al Ghul? An experiment by his daughter or by Katana before landing on something else? Did a League of Assassins defector train Dinah in one of the continua?

Old October 30th, 2013, 8:16 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
I was under the impression that the Black Canary was Dinah Lance in the comics.
MASSIVE SPOILER BELOW!!!
I've read that Black Canary is Laurel's sister. Seems a bit weird to bring her back from the dead, but that gives you the Lance connection

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old October 30th, 2013, 8:22 pm
Curse Breaker

I've heard about a few continua where the Black Canary's identity is:

Dinah Laurel Lance
I think I read in TV Guide somewhere last year that Laurel on this series actually goes by her middle name--and once, in court she was identified as "Dinah Laurel Lance." This leads to an equally intriguing and spoilerific possibility for closer to the end of the series, but clearly it's not happening right now.

Also of note, the younger Lance sister is presumed dead because she washed out to sea, but no body has been recovered. There was an investigation last season into a possible sighting of her on the coast somewhere, but Laurel and her father debunked it. I think they even brought in Alex Kingston as Laurel's mother for that two episode mini-arc. So, she's presumed dead, but we don't have certainty one way or the other.

Last edited by jordmundt6; October 30th, 2013 at 8:25 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television