Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

JK Rowling's new book: The Casual Vacancy

Old February 29th, 2012, 8:07 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Re: JK Rowling announces new book

If the new book was a romance, I actually would be disappointed, as it is not the type I book I would read.

I just can't see Jo writing a pure romance though. Romance as a sub-genre is fine, but not as the main genre.

(All my opinion of course)

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm surprised at how few posts this thread still has . I thought that there would be more interest.

Old February 29th, 2012, 11:59 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I don't know that I'd be too interested in a romance novel, if it was purely that. I mean Potter had some romance with Harry and Ginny, Ron and Hermione, but I'd hope considering how great of an author she is shed stay away from it and stray somewhere else. Unless of course she plans on re-writing twilight and it turns out ten times better.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:58 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I don't know that I'd be too interested in a romance novel, if it was purely that. I mean Potter had some romance with Harry and Ginny, Ron and Hermione, but I'd hope considering how great of an author she is shed stay away from it and stray somewhere else. Unless of course she plans on re-writing twilight and it turns out ten times better.
Potter had tiny, fleeting moments of romance in an otherwise adventurous, coming-of-age story. I wouldn't even begin to think about calling it a romance or anything close to it.

If her new book was a romance there's no way I'd read it, SO not my genre of preference - but my grandma would probably like it.

Old March 1st, 2012, 2:09 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I'm surprised at how few posts this thread still has . I thought that there would be more interest.
Maybe, aside from expressing their interest, people just don't know what to say at this point. I feel like that. I'm excited for this book. I don't care what genre it is. I'll read whatever she writes next. But I have absolutely no idea what that's going to be nor any decent speculations, so I've posted only once here (til now ) expressing my interest.

Old March 1st, 2012, 2:16 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Yeah I think it's too early right now for the excitement or interest to really kick in.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:39 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
If her new book was a romance there's no way I'd read it, SO not my genre of preference - but my grandma would probably like it.
Like you Romance isn't among my favourite genres. However, I gather you read Twilight, (which I suppose would qualify as Romance), as did many HP fans, . Methinks, if JKR wrote pure Romance I'd still read it without hesitation, (whether I'd like it or not, is another question of course..)

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old March 1st, 2012, 5:26 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Like you Romance isn't among my favourite genres. However, I gather you read Twilight, (which I suppose would qualify as Romance), as did many HP fans, . Methinks, if JKR wrote pure Romance I'd still read it without hesitation, (whether I'd like it or not, is another question of course..)
Without derailing the thread too much, yes I have "read" Twilight (I have it on audiobook so I can't be said to have actually "read" it) which I would classify as something akin to "young adult romance" and I find it to be a tedious, indulgent book with no focus or direction until 2/3 of the way through the first book If I hadn't had them on audiobook I never would have made it through them. If you'd like to discuss Twilight more I'd be happy to take this over to the Twilight thread.

As for JKR venturing into the realm of romance, I, personally, would not read it. I prefer mystery/detective/spy novels myself, which often have scenes of a romantic nature in them but the primary focus of the story isn't the romance, it's whether or not the cop will find the killer in time to save his latest victim, whether the spy will intercept the foreign operative's intelligence before it leads to nuclear war, etc. Harry Potter was a departure for me as up to about 2004 (when I first read the books) I had only ever read two fantasy/sci-fi novels, both of which I had read before I entered my teens.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:22 am
Second Year

My favorite genre is historical fiction and then sci-fi. Outside of HP, I haven't read a lot of fantasy besides the Hobbit and some of Narnia. I think the only way I WOULDN'T read her new book is if it's romance. When I hear romance novel, I think of softcore. I'm not really interested in reading something like that.

I'm not a fan of crime novels (although I did read through L or M of Sue Grafton's Kinsey series), but I'd read one if Jo wrote it. I'd also read a thriller even though I'm a wimp and she already effectively scared me with Goblet of Fire. Whatever Jo writes will be brilliant, no doubt. Sure, people are going to compare it to Potter no matter what, but it's just because they need a story. Whenever I meet people reading the books for the first time, they say "they are so well-written." It doesn't matter if they previously didn't like children's novels or fantasy, there is no denying Jo's skill. So that's why I think her book will be wonderful, and I don't expect it to Potter caliber. IT can't be, but there's not just wonderful and horrible in life.

Pet: Screech owl named Artemis

"...what is easy is often not right."
with a twist of but CoS says i'm
Old March 2nd, 2012, 6:33 pm
Seventh Year

Found out the great news a few minutes ago. So happy to hear!

As we got to know Jo, I think we shouldn`t expect the new book fitting to one genre only. Harry Potter was a melting pot to a bunch of genres, like detective story, adventure, fantasy, coming of age and so on. Never mind what it will be, I`m looking forward to being entertained.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 7:19 pm
The Potions Master

I'm wondering about the publisher's dilemma: How many copies do you make in the first printing? DH sold about 9 million the first day. I suspect her new one won't do as well, but what if it does?

Of course, if they offer digital downloads that could reduce the stress associated with the decision.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old March 2nd, 2012, 8:42 pm
First Year

I'm very excited. I can't wait! Personally, I hope it's crime fiction, mystery or something of the sort-I love Agatha Christie mysteries and the like, and I think JKR would be very good at writing something like that. That's just what I think, though.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
I'm wondering about the publisher's dilemma: How many copies do you make in the first printing? DH sold about 9 million the first day. I suspect her new one won't do as well, but what if it does?
They might be able to make a prediction once the book is available for pre-order.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 3:39 am
Fourth Year

I'm pretty excited to see what this new book is all about. I definitely plan on reading it, even if the genre isn't one I don't like.

Old March 4th, 2012, 2:14 pm
First Year

I don't think it matters too much whether or not the genre the book happens to be is to your taste and I don't think that will determine how good the book will be, most Harry Potter fans probably aren't big fantasy readers.

Old March 4th, 2012, 10:00 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjc View Post
I don't think it matters too much whether or not the genre the book happens to be is to your taste and I don't think that will determine how good the book will be, most Harry Potter fans probably aren't big fantasy readers.
I agree that genre alone can't determine how good the book will be or not but writing a book that it too pigeon-holed into a genre could alienate a whole lot of readers - the romance genre for instance. I don't care how good or bad the book itself is, I just don't care for that genre and don't read it.

The magic of Harry Potter was that while it was technically a children's book and technically a fantasy book, it encompassed enough other genres and story types to get a whole lot of people reading it. It was a coming of age story, a mystery, a detective story and at times a political commentary. Personally I hope her new book is just as much a melding of different story types as HP was.

Old March 4th, 2012, 10:26 pm
First Year

Well, first of all I'm happy that she didn't choose the easy way, which is writing a similar story to Harry Potter and receive similar success. She 's taking a risk here and I want her to show us more aspects of her talent.

Since we don't know much, I 'll wait for further details but I have to say, I got really exciting when I first heard about it.

“The ones that love us never really leave us. You can always find them in here.
Old March 5th, 2012, 5:26 am
First Year

This is really exciting news! I'll take it as a cause for celebration Yoopiie-yo, Jo!

Old March 5th, 2012, 9:16 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjc View Post
I know I'm not. I'll buy this book whatever the genre or the story.

Old March 5th, 2012, 12:21 pm
First Year

So do you guys think this book will have a midnight launch at bookstores? I really hope so as I only went to one midnight launch for Harry Potter.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction