Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Project Runway - All Stars

Old January 20th, 2012, 6:22 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: Project Runway - All Stars

I've realized with the shorter episode, it makes me want to go back and watch it again. A plus over last season.

Kara - I thought hers was going to be one of the bottom for sure. The top straps were proportionally off. I liked the idea of the dress, but I thought the execution was terrible.

April - April is not going to last much longer in this competition. That's all I can say.

Gordana - She was given warnings, but alas, she couldn't stop making pajamas for Miss Piggy. Pretty dress, but not at all the right style. We needed Tim to remind her to Make It Work!

Kenley - Super cute. I liked it for this particular client. It was fun and flirty, and as much as they've made Miss Piggy more of a Parisan fashionista, I still could see Miss Piggy in this dress. Maybe not for a premiere, but still.

Rami - Same comment for Rami. I thought his dress was perfect. But for a daytime event. Not red carpet.

Jerrell - Honestly, I don't even remember Jarrell's...

Mila - I tend to agree with the judges. That dress could have been for anyone anywhere. Great dress, but not specific to this challenge.

Mondo - Mondo has to step it up a bit I think. Safe in the last 2...

Anthony - This is one of the few Anthony looks that I actually liked. Good fabric, nicely done. I guess there were just others that were more interesting to talk about.

Austin - Oh Austin. That was hideous. The colors were bad, the patchwork was bad. The bows - I mean really. If he just put one of them in the back and left it at that he might not have been bottom 3.

Michael C - I know I'm like a broken record here - I just don't like Michael. I find that every time he talks I see such a lack of confidence and he's so insincere at the same time that it makes my skin crawl. His dress was great. He took some ideas from Mondo's & Rami's 99cent store dresses and incorporated them into this look. I think he's smart in noticing what the judges like and using that in his work.

But I still think his taste is on the tacky side. I think the dress was a tad short and a tad low cut. It's a 40 year old pig, super short wouldn't work for her. Does he design like that to make him question his sexuality? lol. sigh. It's those kind of comments that are just so fake.

I think Michael is probably a very good student and has an eye for what is fashionable. I just think he has execution issues and his viewpoint is too referential of other people's work.

Old January 20th, 2012, 9:39 pm
Fifth Year

I kind of hated the Miss Piggy episode. I mean, I like the Muppets, but the whole thing felt gimmicky and forced. I couldn't take it seriously! The only redeeming factor was that they didn't make the designers make outfits scaled to muppet size.

I liked Michael C's dress, but I think it would look funny on the actual muppet.

I hated the top of Kenley's dress. I know doing a standard cut would have been a little safe, but with that print a standard cut wold have been fine. Just do a sweetheart neckline and let the print speak for itself. (Not that I liked the print, but still). The head piece was cool, though.

Austin. Yikes.

I figured Gordana would be an early cut, seeing as she got almost no screen time the first two episode and suddenly hate multiple confessionals. Hers was boring, but it wasn't as yikes-worthy as Austin's. I prefer Austin, but his dress was eeeeeeek.

Mila should have thrown in some pink stripes or something. I like her aesthetic and I understand not feeling comfortable doing something flamboyant, but how hard would it have been to make one or two of the stripes in color?

I actuallu liked Anthony's the best this week. I thought it should have been top 3.

Rami's fit the challenge, but gods was it frilly! I hate frills. And pink. And polka dots. I felt about Rami's this week the same way I felt about Kenley's pink polka dot dress from last week, basically.

I don't remember Mondo's, Jerrell's, or Kara's. I remember April's, but it was a little boring and I think she's lucky she didn't land in the bottom 3 for the same reason Mila did (no color).

Old January 20th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry18 View Post
I hated the top of Kenley's dress. I know doing a standard cut would have been a little safe, but with that print a standard cut wold have been fine. Just do a sweetheart neckline and let the print speak for itself. (Not that I liked the print, but still). The head piece was cool, though.
Or a halter top which I know Miss Piggy has rocked in the past. She could have just extended upwards and it would have had more of a Marilyn Monroe sex appeal to it.

And totally random - I was indulging in my favorite guilty pleasure - watching "Say Yes to the Dress" and who shows up as a representative for the Kenneth Poole trunk show. Mr. Austin Scarlet. Which reminded me that he's a really sincere and sweet guy and fancy dresses is his thing.
Austin pic:    

Old January 21st, 2012, 1:41 am
Fifth Year

I really do love Austin. He even made Santino likable on their show together, because Austin Scarlett makes everyone better. I really want him to make it far this season (as long as this week was just as fluke).

Old January 21st, 2012, 3:27 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I agree with you, Merry, about this Piggy challenge--it felt forced and gimmicky. I couldn't abide the endless talking heads of the designers gushing over what an icon and inspiration Miss Piggy was. That lasted for half the show! Once they got to the runway and judging it was much better, back to normal.

I was shocked Kara wasn't in the bottom, and I also thought Anthony would be in the top. I'm surprised Michael won; I thought he should've won last week for the opera challenge and Rami should've won the Piggy challenge. And I was worried for a moment that they were going to send Austin home; that was just bad. I guess boring was worse, so Gordana had to go. I sometimes think they eliminate the person with the least potential.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 2:40 am
Rocket Scientist

I agree the piggy challenge was odd. Because what piggy would wear isnt necessarily high fashion. Rami's dress never would have been ok normally but because it was for piggy it worked. And only kenley would excel at a challenge like this.

Im surprised they only have 6 hours for next weeks challenge thats a bit insane.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old January 22nd, 2012, 4:38 am
Fifth Year

I really don't like it when they put insane time constraints on the designers. I feel like watching All-Stars should be about watching them put their best effort into each challenge, and giving them such short time limits really limits what we can see of their abilities.

Old January 27th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Mondo was robbed last night. Thoughts?

April - it was her time to go. She just needs more experience, but has a lot of potential.

ps. Why is it that the male judges (Kors, Mizrahi) on this show don't understand that sexy happens even when a lot of skin is covered? It's twice that Mondo has gotten that criticism. Puzzling.

Last edited by HMN; January 27th, 2012 at 1:55 pm.
Old January 27th, 2012, 1:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post

April - it was her time to go. She just needs more experience, but has a lot of potential.
Mondo was robbed. I dont know why they are so impressed with michael. He does interesting things but im not sure he deserved the win this week.

I would have sent Kara home over april this week but really she probably would have gone soon after if she didnt go this week so im not hugely upset. She does have a lot of potential but she needs to work on her skill and build her "brand" so to speak. She failed at this challenge because of lack of experience. She's never had a deadline like this before so she really hasnt had to work under that kind of pressure. She needs some real world experience the rest of the designers have had that.

Old January 27th, 2012, 4:22 pm
Fifth Year

Well, I didn't like any of those designs. I thought it was ridiculous that they gave them 6 hours for a challenge, and the time constraint clearly hurt them.

April - I thought Kara's was worse, but April probably would have gone next week anyway. The construction was pretty bad.

Kara - I agree with Jerrell's assessment that the dress made the model look like a pregnant cupcake. Kara will probably be gone soon. I like her for being a bit quirky but she really hasn't brought her A game.

Anthony - I didn't mind his that much.

Kenley - The print screamed 6 year old, and it wasn't exactly a ground-breaking design, but at least it was constructed well, fitted perfectly, and overall looked finished.

Rami - I thought he was lucky he wasn't in the bottom 3. It just seemed haphazard.

Jerrell - Not terrible, but it was like a low-rent version of the dress he made the first week.

Austin - Not terrible, but kind of boring and - pun intended - kind of vanilla.

Mila - Weird flavor of gelato, first of all. I didn't like her dress, but I was glad she was in the top because it's felt a little male-dominated so far.

Mondo - Well made and moved nicely, but it was a little too literal for me with the skin-colored fabric on the trim. I would have been fine with Mondo or Michael winning...

Michael - ...because I didn't particularly care for this either. Even with the low cut in the front it seemed kind of Golden Girls. Maybe Miranda Kerr can pull it off considering she can pull off just about everything, but I was a little surprised this was picked for the win when it wasn't Miranda's favorite.

I REALLY hope the challenge next week doesn't have absurd time constraints, though I do love when the designers kind of dis the producers for setting them. I feel like I'm not seeing the designers' best work when they have so little time; these girls and guys have been on the show before, I know they can finish something within a small amount of time, so testing them like that seems superfluous. Give them time so they can do something really impressive!

Old January 27th, 2012, 7:03 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:

ps. Why is it that the male judges (Kors, Mizrahi) on this show don't understand that sexy happens even when a lot of skin is covered? It's twice that Mondo has gotten that criticism. Puzzling.
I shouldn't say hate, but yes, I dislike April so much. I was upset to see her included in the All Stars, because I dislike her so much. Glad she's gone.

My mom hated Michael C's dress. I thought it looked like a dressing gown. Was Mondo robbed? I think he should have won, but according to the judges it was SO close (btw, I wonder what chocolate with cayenne pepper gelato tastes like).

Kara and April, the bottom two. Kara's dress was awful, but it was well constructed. April's dress had the potential to be beautiful, but it was poorly constructed. That's why April goes home instead of Kara.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old January 27th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Well, I didn't like any of those designs. I thought it was ridiculous that they gave them 6 hours for a challenge, and the time constraint clearly hurt them.
I feel like Diane Von Furstenberg had 6 hours to give the show, and that's why they had the crazy deadline. And if that was the case, they should have just said make a pretty dress and you have 6 hours. The gelato part was sort of silly and since there was no gelato payoff it was clearly just there for product placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Mondo was robbed. I dont know why they are so impressed with michael. He does interesting things but im not sure he deserved the win this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
My mom hated Michael C's dress. I thought it looked like a dressing gown.
Quote:
Michael - ...because I didn't particularly care for this either. Even with the low cut in the front it seemed kind of Golden Girls. Maybe Miranda Kerr can pull it off considering she can pull off just about everything, but I was a little surprised this was picked for the win when it wasn't Miranda's favorite.
Well we all know how I feel about Michael. I felt like his dress was very old fashioned. There wasn't an ounce of modernity in it. I could see my grandmother wear it with gold flats.

Golden Girls! You hit the nail on the head!

Old January 28th, 2012, 5:13 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

The whole show was just meh to me. The time constraint was ridiculous and just brought everyone down. Anthony was exactly right--it wasn't a design challenge, it was a who's the fastest seamstress challenge. They all had to simplify their designs so much that what we were left with was ho hum.

The only other thing I took away from this episode: April is only 22??? Isn't that how old she was several seasons ago when she was first on the show? I almost thought they'd replayed an old clip because I swear she's said that exact thing several times before on her previous season.

Old January 28th, 2012, 5:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post

The only other thing I took away from this episode: April is only 22??? Isn't that how old she was several seasons ago when she was first on the show? I almost thought they'd replayed an old clip because I swear she's said that exact thing several times before on her previous season.
she was on the show last season so its at most been a year. So id imagine she's the same age or a year older.

Old January 28th, 2012, 7:18 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Yeah, she was on Mondo's season, which was the one before last, I think.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 7:04 pm

Yay for Mondo. It was clearly the best. Austin always goes a bit too costume-ish, but his was good too. I thought Rami was better than Austin, but that's just me.

Not gonna say a word about the granny panties. Just because they worked for Gretchen...

Old February 3rd, 2012, 7:27 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:

Not gonna say a word about the granny panties. Just because they worked for Gretchen...
I was thinking the same thing!

Yikes, Michael. Talk about regression - going from the top 3 every week to the bottom 2!

Although I think Jerrell should have been in the bottom 2 as a warning about his taste level - if he wasn't eliminated altogether. I am a big Jerrell fan, but goodness gracious was that an eyesore of an outfit. I didn't mind the skirt if it hadn't been so low-riding, but the top was just...bleargh.

Poor Anthony. I've never thought his designs were crazy amazing or anything, but he was always pretty consistent and he deserved an Emmy for his one-liners last night.

Mila, Kara, and Kenley - I was glad another female didn't get sent home, especially since none of them deserved it this week. I kind of think Kenley is making essentially the same outfit with different materials every week, so I wish the judges call her out soon. I liked the top of Kara's, but hated the pants. Mila's was pretty cool, though maybe a little generic Brooklynite.

Austin's muse looked like a hipster from Brooklyn, and I loved what he did with it. It was my favorite this week by a landslide.

Mondo's was good, too. I preferred Austin's, but I'm glad he got a challenge win.

I was indifferent on Rami's look. I didn't like the shorts like the judges did, I hated the hat like the judges did, and the blouse I thought was nice. Overall, I thought it was forgettable.

The previews are making it look like there's going to be a Michael vs Jerrell thing going on next week. Huh.

Old February 4th, 2012, 9:20 pm
Rocket Scientist

YAY! So happy mondo won! about time! There were some really interesting things this week. I thought this was a great challenge.

I agree Michael had a huge regression this week. He had a good idea in theory but it was not executed well at all. Question about him, with regards to next week. Weren't they having issues with others accusing him of copying the work room on his season? Its like he gets halfway through and loses his inspiration.

Old February 6th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I agree Michael had a huge regression this week. He had a good idea in theory but it was not executed well at all. Question about him, with regards to next week. Weren't they having issues with others accusing him of copying the work room on his season? Its like he gets halfway through and loses his inspiration.
I do think that it is an ongoing theme with him. I don't think he does it consciously (like getting the same mop heads as April) but it happens often. Either with color or silhouette. And the judges have called his work referential more than once.

It does seem like Jerrell is going to call him out on it next week. I guess it's the drama they love to show!

Old February 6th, 2012, 2:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
I do think that it is an ongoing theme with him. I don't think he does it consciously (like getting the same mop heads as April) but it happens often. Either with color or silhouette. And the judges have called his work referential more than once.

It does seem like Jerrell is going to call him out on it next week. I guess it's the drama they love to show!
for me im starting to wonder. Its happened so frequently im starting to wonder if its not just coincidence. And Im glad to see someone call him out on it. More drama yay!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television