Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Once Upon A Time

Old January 30th, 2012, 7:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Re: Once Upon A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
So... erm... I had a case of the "Aw cute!" attacks when during the Mary Margaret and David scene with the wine. That was so adorable. I love those two! Such good chemistry as actors and so cute as a couple in the show.
I know me too! They are super cute!

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
So... erm... I had a case of the "Aw cute!" attacks when during the Mary Margaret and David scene with the wine. That was so adorable. I love those two! Such good chemistry as actors and so cute as a couple in the show.
I always get excited when I see them on screen.

Old January 30th, 2012, 10:56 pm
First Year

Last night's episode was probably my favorite one so far!
Although, that might change, the next episode looks amazing!
I didn't see the ending of last night's episode coming at all,
Spoiler: show
When they showed the Genie the first thing that went through my head was all the Disney songs from Aladdin

Old January 31st, 2012, 7:12 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
Rumpel's back story had to be at least 50 or 60 years in the past and it could have been further. In the Jiminy Cricket episode, Geppetto is just a boy of around 10 when Jiminy gets turned into a cricket and Geppetto is around 60 or 70 at the time of the curse which means 50 or 60 years have passed since the time Jiminy was turned into a cricket and Rumpel was already the magical Rumpel when Jiminy was turned into a cricket so Rumpel's back story had to have been before that because he was still a man at the beginning of his back story.

So at the least 50 to 60 years in the past maybe longer.

I also totally agree with you that i don't like the idea of The Stranger with the typewriter being a Grimm brother. If he is going to be the author of the book then i think it would make more sense for him to be a generic author. Though i do think the Evil Queen recognized him so he could be a fairytale character or someone who visited the fairytale world like Alice from Alice in Wonderland or Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz, someone who visited but returned to the real world.
Ah, OK, thanks. I completely forgot about Gepetto in Jiminy Cricket's backstory. There's a theory making the rounds right now that I really like. It says that the Queen is actually the Miller's daughter from Rumpelstiltskin. You know the name-play they like to have? (Dr. HOPPER = Jiminy Cricket, RUBY = Red Riding Hood, Mary Margaret BLANCHE = Snow White, Sydney GLASS = the Mirror, etc)...well, Regina's last name is MILLS...like miller. And this certainly fits nicely into that timeline.

Old January 31st, 2012, 2:13 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaafeMJ View Post
Ah, OK, thanks. I completely forgot about Gepetto in Jiminy Cricket's backstory. There's a theory making the rounds right now that I really like. It says that the Queen is actually the Miller's daughter from Rumpelstiltskin. You know the name-play they like to have? (Dr. HOPPER = Jiminy Cricket, RUBY = Red Riding Hood, Mary Margaret BLANCHE = Snow White, Sydney GLASS = the Mirror, etc)...well, Regina's last name is MILLS...like miller. And this certainly fits nicely into that timeline.
Thats an interesting theory about regina, but im not sure if she is the miller's daughter. Wasnt there a scene this week where she was talking to her father who was a king? Im rusty on my Rumpelstiltskin lore but i dont remember the miller becoming a king.

Old January 31st, 2012, 5:45 pm
Queen of Apathy

I think this past episode was one of the best ones yet. I really liked that they gave the mirror a back story. I knew the queen was manipulating him in the fairy tale world. I was a bit shocked by the ending in the real world. It definitely fits though with Sydney being completely blinded with love for her.

Next week looks to be so good. An interesting twist on Beauty and the Beast.

As for the stranger having Henry's book, I had a gut feeling he had it. Nice to see where that goes.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 9:53 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Thats an interesting theory about regina, but im not sure if she is the miller's daughter. Wasnt there a scene this week where she was talking to her father who was a king? Im rusty on my Rumpelstiltskin lore but i dont remember the miller becoming a king.
I'm pretty sure her father (Henry) was a servant or butler or something. The king in this past episode was her husband. The king was also Snow White's father.

The short version of Rumpelstiltskin is this: A miller boasts to a king that his daughter can spin straw into gold. The king brings her in, locks her in a tower overnight, and tells her that if she cannot spin the straw into gold she'll be locked away forever (or killed, depending on the version).

She cries in despair because she doesn't know how. That's when Rumpelstiltsking shows up. He offers to spin the straw into gold in exchange for her necklace. The following night he again spins the straw to gold for her ring. The third night, he did it again...but she had nothing left to offer him. So she offers him her first born child.

The king, being impressed with the trick, marries her. They have a baby, and when Rumpelstiltskin shows up to claim the child, she refuses. Rumpelstiltskin eventually agrees to give up his claim if she can guess his name in three days time.

She sends messengers out all over the land to try to find out his name. The first two nights, she's unsuccessful. The third, however, one of the messengers said he heard someone boasting that his name was Rumpelstiltskin, and that the queen would never guess his name. When Rumpelstiltskin comes the third night, she guesses correctly. Rumpelstiltskin leaves in a rage (or is so angry he tears himself in two, depending on the version), and the queen, king, and prince live happily ever after.

So in those events, Regina would be the miller's daughter who eventually becomes queen and who thwarts Rumpelstiltskin. Which, now that I think of it, Mr. Gold's disdain for Regina could be because she beat him at his game.

Or, I could have posted all of that for nothing, lol.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:38 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaafeMJ View Post
She cries in despair because she doesn't know how. That's when Rumpelstiltsking shows up. He offers to spin the straw into gold in exchange for her necklace. The following night he again spins the straw to gold for her ring. The third night, he did it again...but she had nothing left to offer him. So she offers him her first born child.
Which is the logical flaw in the story. If he could spin gold why would he be interested in her trinkets?

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 3rd, 2012, 3:49 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Which is the logical flaw in the story. If he could spin gold why would he be interested in her trinkets?
Because he didn't want the trinkets he wanted the firstborn child.

Old February 14th, 2012, 2:35 am
Inconceivable!

I thought that last night's episode, Skin Deep, aka the Beauty and the Beast episode, was pretty good. I was most interested in what is going to happen to the StoryBrooke Beauty. Will Emma ever find out about Regina's secret prison?

Mr. Gold obviously remembers his past. I wonder if he remembers everything and knows who all the people really are?

I liked the Heart is a Lonely hunter, too. Jamie Dornan did a great job as the Huntsman/Grahame. It was a shame to kill him off just when Emma was beginning to like him.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; February 14th, 2012 at 2:38 am.
Old February 14th, 2012, 2:54 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm so glad Mr. Gold is not one-dimensional evil. I hope they expand Regina the same way.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old February 14th, 2012, 2:01 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post

Mr. Gold obviously remembers his past. I wonder if he remembers everything and knows who all the people really are?
I wonder if he's remembered the whole time or if the queen discovered he's starting to remember because of emma's appearance. Should be really interesting to see how all this develops.

Old February 14th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I wonder if he's remembered the whole time or if the queen discovered he's starting to remember because of emma's appearance. Should be really interesting to see how all this develops.
But all along he has said "please" to her when he's wanted her to do something. I think he has always known. Especially in light of the fact that he procured Henry for Regina. That can't have been a coincidence.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old February 16th, 2012, 3:39 pm
Third Year

He never forgot anything. He knows who everyone is, and I think it's safe to say he knew all along. Also, I think it's fairly obvious we're going to get a Little Mermaid story at some point. The Queen (I think) mentioned a certain redheaded mermaid to Rumpelstiltskin.

One thing I've noticed that they've done a really good job with is the background. If you pay attention, you can find all sorts of different callbacks to the Disney movies, and even some looks ahead as to what might be coming. In this episode, there was a prominently displayed candlestick (Lumiere), a clock (Coggsworth), and obviously the tea set. In a previous episode, before the Mr. Glass backstory, in Mr. Gold's shop there was a genie lamp, foreshadowing that story. I wonder if Mr. Gold is collecting that sort of thing for a reason?

Old February 16th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Queen of Apathy

I also think Mr. Gold has always known. Being that it is his curse. He gave Regina the instructions on how to cast it.

Skin Deep has been the best episode for me so far. I love how they have made Rumple more of a grey character.

The ending was shocking and made me so angry with Regina. I assume she lied to Rumple about Belle throwing herself off the tower. Now I am waiting to see how long it takes before someone in Storybrooke finds out she is locked up, in what looked like an asylum.

Old February 17th, 2012, 2:29 pm
Member of the Order

After only seeing the first few episodes some thoughts...(Yes I know, a few episodes? A deficit that needs attending to, and I certainly will)

The show is in essence a romantic one in the full sense of the word. There are many moments of poignancy that aren't highlit in any way but they can really hit. As an example;
Spoiler: show
Henry tells Emma flat out that she was the daughter of Snow White. In a later scene, Mary-Margaret...(interesting name) mentions Henry's delusion to Emma and she askes in turn "Who does he think you are in the book? And she replies; "Snow White. Who does he think you are?" Emma's facial expression was a bit aghast (to me) as she replied rather weakly; "I'm not in the book." This exchange invited one to think at what was going on in Emma's mind...

Then there's the obvious (at least to me) that the "fairest one of all" just isn't the hottest. Although seeing Snow White in the ranger leathers and carrying a spear did wonders to boost her image to me...

And then there's Red Riding Hood..who doesn't have to look far for wolves.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old February 19th, 2012, 2:19 am
Inconceivable!

I've been going back to watch earlier episodes and have been discovering all kinds of things in those earlier episodes that I missed the first time around. One thing I noticed in the second episode that didn't seem important until after the Beast episode was when the Queen went back to Rumpelstiltskin in prison, to get him to tell her the final ingredient for her evil curse, he said he would tell her if she promised to give him whatever he wanted in the next world, as long as he said please. Since she didn't think he would remember who he was in the next world, she said she didn't mind granting his wish. So that explains why she asked him what his name was. She needed to be sure that he did remember his fairy tale existence. And it also explains why he says "please" to her.

He probably kept tabs on Emma her whole life, too, just so that he could find a way to bring her back to Storybrooke when she turned 28. I wonder if he had anything to do with the book? Mary Margaret gave the book to Henry, but I wonder where she got it?

I love the mysteries in this show.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old February 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm
Seventh Year

Good catch SusanBones. I have been wanting to go back and rewatch these episodes to see what I missed as foreshadowing myself. I suspected Mr. Gold atleast had an idea of the fairytale world and his identity the whole time, but was pleased when it was better implied that he remembers it all.

Also, he still doesn't have all the cards. As far as he knows Belle threw herself off the tower in fairytale land, therefore doesn't exist in Storybrook. It will be interesting to see when he learns that the queen had lied in fairytale land and that the mayor has Belle hostage in an asylum.

Also regarding Henry's book, that is still missing right?

Old February 19th, 2012, 6:13 pm
Queen of Apathy

The stranger has Henry's book. That is the storyline that I find most intriguing.

Old February 19th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Registered Animagus

I still think that they should have made it so that Rumpel didn't have his memories in the real world. Though i am so glad that they just said it. It may be that Rumpel didn't get his memories back until he met Emma in the real world.

And i agree that Rumpel does not have all the cards because while they said he can see the future, he doesn't seem to be able to really See the future. He just seems to know a lot of things.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television