Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Once Upon A Time

Old November 7th, 2011, 4:57 pm
Queen of Apathy

Re: Once Upon A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
People on the IMDB board for the show think David Anders' character could possibly be the Big Bad Wolf, judging by the fact that he seemed to have a fancy for Ruby (Red Riding Hood).
I thought the same.

Last night's episode was really good. Loved all the back story. Never imagined I would enjoy the show this much. I am curious as to what the ratings are?

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:04 am
Fourth Year

ABC has ordered 9 more episodes for Once Upon a Time, which would leave season one with 22 episodes.

I thought this episode was great! Snow White and Prince charming are absolutely adorable. I love the back story.

Old November 8th, 2011, 1:09 am
Third Year

I am enjoying this show a lot more than I thought I would. I remember thinking that the "backstory" parts seemed cheesy but now I really look forward to them.

Episode three was wonderful and I'm really excited about next week.

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old November 8th, 2011, 2:09 am
First Year

I agree--this episode was really good. The effects could be better of course but I really like all of the actors. Especially Lana Parrilla who plays the Evil Queen!

sig by DarkLord7

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
~Sirius Black

Pottermore:
CauldronPixie6904
Hufflepuff
Wand-black walnut, phoenix feather core, 10 3/4 inches, hard flexibility
Old November 8th, 2011, 2:10 am
Registered Animagus

This show has been getting better and better. I didn't like the switch back and forth between the real world and the fairytale world in the first episode either, but the last two episodes have been much more cohesive between the two storylines. Which has been great. I love how they connect the two storylines between the present and the past in the fairytale world. I think they just had to do a lot of explanation in the first episode which can be too much. Good start. I am glad to hear we are going to have a whole first season at least.

I like the idea that Charming's "wife" or whomever she is is an evil stepsister. Who knows though. I like how they are weaving in all the different fairy tales like Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty and next week with Cinderella.

Old November 8th, 2011, 2:50 am
Registered Animagus

The blonde woman (Kathryn) could be Odette/Swan Princess in the storybook land. She had feathers on her dress.

Old November 8th, 2011, 2:53 am
Third Year

I also like the idea of the stepsister being the fiance/wife. And David Anders' character being the Big Bad Wolf certainly makes sense with what little we know about him. Disappointed there was no Rumpelstiltskin in this episode

Someone asked about the ratings: They've been very good so far. They slipped a tad this week, but not much. With the exception of football on NBC, Once Upon a Time was tied with the Simpsons as the highest rated show on TV Sunday night (both had a 3.7 rating). For reference, Family Guy had the next highest rating, at 3.0. So even though it's slipped just a tad (I think it was a 3.8 last week), ABC's got to be happy. If it keeps winning the night (nothing will beat football) the show will last for awhile. It's already been picked up for a full season, and I see no signs of it not being granted a season 2, unless ratings just absolutely tank. Since this is the type of show that can appeal to a wide audience, I do think it will last.

Incidentally, I think the main writers are LOST alums. This bodes well for the storytelling aspect, as LOST was famous for its storytelling.

I'm really excited for next week. A lot of times, the 4th episode of the season will move the overarching plot along in big ways in these serialized dramas. Alias' 4th episode was big, LOST's 4th episode (Walkabout -- Locke's wheelchair reveal) was amazing, and every season, episode 4 on Fringe is a big one.

Old November 8th, 2011, 2:56 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaafeMJ View Post

I'm really excited for next week. A lot of times, the 4th episode of the season will move the overarching plot along in big ways in these serialized dramas. Alias' 4th episode was big, LOST's 4th episode (Walkabout -- Locke's wheelchair reveal) was amazing, and every season, episode 4 on Fringe is a big one.
Mmm, for some reason when I saw the preview for the episode, the first thing that came to my mind was "it's a filler episode", because it seems to go off the plot-line a bit. Emma helping Cinderella? Seems just a bit different than the plot going on.

Old November 8th, 2011, 2:59 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Incidentally, I think the main writers are LOST alums. This bodes well for the storytelling aspect, as LOST was famous for its storytelling.

The way the show flips back and forth between the past and the present, between the fairytale world and the real world reminds me a lot of Lost and how it would go back and forth between the island present and the mainland past where we would learn about the characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Mmm, for some reason when I saw the preview for the episode, the first thing that came to my mind was "it's a filler episode", because it seems to go off the plot-line a bit. Emma helping Cinderella? Seems just a bit different than the plot going on.
I thought the same thing as well. I hope that we get a bit more about Charming though with Snow and not just sort of episodic side characters. I have a really hard time remember the characters names because they have names in the real world that are different then there real names from the fairytale world. It is a bit confusing.

Old November 13th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Registered Animagus

Why would the evil queen adopt a child? Are they saying that she wants him even though we know she doesn't care for him? I guess she is trying in a way to replace her father in a way, but why would she care for a child?

Also who is this loved one of the evil queen's that was killed? How could Snow have stopped the queen from getting married? I assume that the evil queen is in the end a redeemable character. We will see though.

Maybe the queen desires to return to the fairytale world after all. Because there would be a loss for her being in the real world as well.

PS. It is funny that Snow's name is Mary Margaret in the real world and Red Ridding Hood's is Ruby. And Mr. Gold. What is the witches name? Regina? Tina? Something.

Last edited by decarus; November 13th, 2011 at 2:15 pm.
Old November 15th, 2011, 6:20 am
Registered Animagus

The fourth episode was nice. I didn't like the Cinderella part quite as well, too much exposition, but there was a lot of nice Emma and Henry moments. Though i guess they are still trying to world build so the explanations were necessary. I am getting sick of Rumpelstiltskin. They need more explanation there.

Old November 15th, 2011, 3:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
The fourth episode was nice. I didn't like the Cinderella part quite as well, too much exposition, but there was a lot of nice Emma and Henry moments. Though i guess they are still trying to world build so the explanations were necessary. I am getting sick of Rumpelstiltskin. They need more explanation there.
Im iffy on cinderella she seemed really juvenile to me, and I've always know cinderella to be more of a mature character. I think its interesting that each female "princess" gets her own prince, since its always the ambiguous prince charming. I like that only snow's prince is charming.

I have to disagree a bit about rumplestiltskin, from fairy tales he's always been a meddler and he's always been after babies in exchange for some good in people's lives, so I think his character has stayed true to that. But if that's going to be the extent of his character stealing babies, I think it will get old fast. I guess we've seen a small hint of him meddling with the queen but even still, going after cinderella's baby and now after emma, is a fishy.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old November 15th, 2011, 6:55 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Why would the evil queen adopt a child? Are they saying that she wants him even though we know she doesn't care for him? I guess she is trying in a way to replace her father in a way, but why would she care for a child?

Also who is this loved one of the evil queen's that was killed? How could Snow have stopped the queen from getting married? I assume that the evil queen is in the end a redeemable character. We will see though.
I think whatever it was that Snow White did to her damaged her psyche in such a way that she was willing to destroy a world and ruin the lives of everyone she knew in an effort for revenge. And I think that her search for a child was an attempt to fill the void in her life where love should be. She wants to love Henry (and maybe she does, I don't know), but more importantly I think she wants Henry to love her. I think that's a big part of why she sees Emma as such a threat.

I agree that the queen has the potential for redemption. I think Rumpelstiltskin is the wild card here. What are his motivations? What's his endgame? Why the obsession with children?

As for the show, I now think we're going to spend the rest of 2011 building backstory and introducing characters. I do expect the plot to move forward in the last episode of 2011 though...December 18, I think it is.

Old November 16th, 2011, 1:55 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Im iffy on cinderella she seemed really juvenile to me, and I've always know cinderella to be more of a mature character. I think its interesting that each female "princess" gets her own prince, since its always the ambiguous prince charming. I like that only snow's prince is charming.
I think that is how i felt as well. Cinderella just seemed so immature and lacked confidence in a way that did not seem like Cinderella to me. They can't make all the Princess' the same though i guess. And she was supposed to be very young and pregnant in the real world. I think i would have liked her to be more confident in the Fairytale World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I have to disagree a bit about rumplestiltskin, from fairy tales he's always been a meddler and he's always been after babies in exchange for some good in people's lives, so I think his character has stayed true to that. But if that's going to be the extent of his character stealing babies, I think it will get old fast. I guess we've seen a small hint of him meddling with the queen but even still, going after cinderella's baby and now after emma, is a fishy.
I think that is my issue. It has already gotten old for me. Maybe i need to reread that story, but him just trying to get names and in general deals has gotten annoying. I don't get why anyone would make a deal with him unless it was life or death like it was with Snow and Charming and their baby. At least Cinderella got tricked. I think i just don't like the character because he doesn't seem sinister enough to me and i don't get why anyone would make a deal with him.

Quote:
I think whatever it was that Snow White did to her damaged her psyche in such a way that she was willing to destroy a world and ruin the lives of everyone she knew in an effort for revenge. And I think that her search for a child was an attempt to fill the void in her life where love should be. She wants to love Henry (and maybe she does, I don't know), but more importantly I think she wants Henry to love her. I think that's a big part of why she sees Emma as such a threat.
I think that there has to be more of a reason there then she wants Henry to love her. I mean at the beginning of the first episode Emma asked the Evil Queen if she loved Henry and clearly didn't believe her when she said yes because she stayed. I think that the Evil Queen must have a purpose for Henry. Maybe she is sick of the Real World and ready to return to the Fairytale World even with it's happily ever afters.

Quote:
I agree that the queen has the potential for redemption. I think Rumpelstiltskin is the wild card here. What are his motivations? What's his endgame? Why the obsession with children?
Yeah, exactly. I just think i need to know more about his reasoning. I do think that he just is working for himself though and not with the Evil Queen.

Quote:
As for the show, I now think we're going to spend the rest of 2011 building backstory and introducing characters. I do expect the plot to move forward in the last episode of 2011 though...December 18, I think it is.
I agree that they will continue to world build the show this season. It is necessary i enjoy good world building which it has been so far. I do think they will revisit the main characters stories again like we will see more of Snow and Charming's back story and such.

I think i just don't think Rumpelstiltskin is an interesting bad guy.

Old November 19th, 2011, 8:07 pm
First Year

Quote:
I think that is my issue. It has already gotten old for me. Maybe i need to reread that story, but him just trying to get names and in general deals has gotten annoying. I don't get why anyone would make a deal with him unless it was life or death like it was with Snow and Charming and their baby. At least Cinderella got tricked. I think i just don't like the character because he doesn't seem sinister enough to me and i don't get why anyone would make a deal with him.
I was thinking the exact same thing! It is getting old really fast

Old November 20th, 2011, 4:57 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BellaLestrange View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing! It is getting old really fast
Exactly. It is like how many times are they going to play that card? How many times are people going to make bad deals with the guy? I hope that isn't a continued part of the show for all characters. I just don't get why people would continue to have anything to do with him unless they had no choice. I am assuming that his story will come around and someone will know his name at the end of the series.

Old November 20th, 2011, 6:48 pm
Third Year

I thought of him as kind of like the paperclip game, where you start with a paperclip, and keep trading that for items. Eventually, you work your way up to something big, like a car or a house. I got the impression that's what Rumpelstiltskin was doing -- working his way up, trading and working deals so that he ends up at some endgame. Hopefully he IS working towards an endgame, and they're not just having him deal just to deal. I'll agree, that would tick me off.

Old November 20th, 2011, 9:06 pm
Registered Animagus

I just think that gives Rumpelstiltskin more credit then he deserves. I don't see that he is really playing that much of a long game with his deals, but maybe he is. To me it seems like he is just playing a short game for the most part. Like he makes the next deal that comes and not that he makes one deal in the hopes of getting the next deal. Like i don't think that he made a deal with Cinderella just so that he could get the favor from Emma. I think he made the deal with Cinderella because it was a good deal for the moment, but then once it came down to it he would rather have the favor from Emma then the child, so he switched the deal. I just don't think the knowledge of the favor with Emma was the reason he made the initial deal with Cinderella. I don't know.

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:42 pm
Seventh Year

I don't know, I love Rumplestilskin. Creepy little guy. I think his character building will be interesting. I don't think he's working with the queen per se, unless it benefits his initial plan.

Old November 29th, 2011, 6:15 pm
Registered Animagus

So I just watched the most recent episode, and it was great! Interesting seeing how Jiminy Cricket became -- well -- a cricket! I love these little back stories. Also love that Archie's dog is Pongo (101 Dalmatians). Thought that was cute! Interesting seeing Snow White's Coffin at the bottom of that mine. And I loved Archie's speech to the Mayor near the end of the episode... go Archie!

Can't wait for more!