Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Plot holes, inconsistencies, and contradictions v. 4

Old March 9th, 2013, 4:09 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Plot holes, inconsistencies, and contradictions v. 4

I'm asking why the Ministry never bothered making some words taboo after the first war when the DEs were the ones outnumbered and more or less driven underground.

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2013, 4:50 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
I'm asking why the Ministry never bothered making some words taboo after the first war when the DEs were the ones outnumbered and more or less driven underground.
Do we know for a fact that the DE's were outnumbered?

And what words could they taboo anyway that would guarantee catching a death eater and not some common man walking along the street?

Old March 9th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
Do we know for a fact that the DE's were outnumbered?
Well, if they had enough fighters to keep up the fight after Voldemort fell why wouldn't they keep fighting in his name?

Quote:
And what words could they taboo anyway that would guarantee catching a death eater and not some common man walking along the street?
Illegal dark magic words? There had to be something.

This is assuming the ability to Taboo a word was something that could be done beforehand and wasn't one of Voldemort's inventions or something.

Old March 9th, 2013, 6:00 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Well, if they had enough fighters to keep up the fight after Voldemort fell why wouldn't they keep fighting in his name?
According to Sirius in OotP Voldemort had huge backing in the first war and comparing the time he had to built up his forces the first time around to the 2nd war then I think he would have had a larger backing in the first war.

Quote:
Illegal dark magic words? There had to be something.
The thing is though, there's a difference between Voldemort and the "good guys". Voldemort did not care if the taboo was successful in catching order members 5/10 times because he was....bad.

The ministry can't do that. They have certain standards to uphold. Dark Magic in itself might be illegal but using words is not.There must have been plenty of people who subscribed to Voldemort's theory but weren't death eaters.

There's no full proof way to ensure the ministry only got the death eaters so I don't think the taboo was ever an option.

Old March 9th, 2013, 7:24 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
According to Sirius in OotP Voldemort had huge backing in the first war and comparing the time he had to built up his forces the first time around to the 2nd war then I think he would have had a larger backing in the first war.
That's what I meant, if they had more of an army in the 1st war why NOT keep up fighting after Voldemort was gone?

Quote:
There's no full proof way to ensure the ministry only got the death eaters so I don't think the taboo was ever an option.
If they're willing to do raids on private homes just because they think they might have dark magic artifacts there, then they already have policies in place that wouldn't always get them Death Eaters. Tabooing certain illegal-related words during unstable times wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Old March 9th, 2013, 7:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
That's what I meant, if they had more of an army in the 1st war why NOT keep up fighting after Voldemort was gone?
Voldemort was kind of a figurehead wasn't he? They might have lost their will to fight and I suspect the Ministry itself was scared of Voldemort so after his death they might have been pro-active in dealing with death eaters.

Quote:
If they're willing to do raids on private homes just because they think they might have dark magic artifacts there, then they already have policies in place that wouldn't always get them Death Eaters. Tabooing certain illegal-related words during unstable times wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
I am not sure tbh. For instance I could say the words Avada Kedavra ten times and yet not be doing anything illegal. The Ministry can't work on percentages when it comes to invading people's privacy.

Old March 9th, 2013, 7:53 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
I am not sure tbh. For instance I could say the words Avada Kedavra ten times and yet not be doing anything illegal. The Ministry can't work on percentages when it comes to invading people's privacy.
Right, and presumably raids on houses were only conducted with just cause for suspicion; perhaps even a warrant.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old March 9th, 2013, 8:02 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Voldemort was kind of a figurehead wasn't he? They might have lost their will to fight and I suspect the Ministry itself was scared of Voldemort so after his death they might have been pro-active in dealing with death eaters.
Yet, it was so easy for them to take over the Ministry the second time around when they apparently had FEWER numbers.

Quote:
I'm talking about in states of War, or emergency the Ministry could've put up Taboos and made it clear some things were meant to be outlawed for the time.

Of course, if the taboo was Voldemort's invention then this is all moot.

Old March 9th, 2013, 8:08 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Yet, it was so easy for them to take over the Ministry the second time around when they apparently had FEWER numbers
He never tried taking over the ministry though, did he? And Dumbledore was a king sized obstruction and it took his death for the take over to happen.

Quote:
I'm talking about in states of War, or emergency the Ministry could've put up Taboos and made it clear some things were meant to be outlawed for the time.

Of course, if the taboo was Voldemort's invention then this is all moot.
They could have, but I reckon it wasn't all the hassle it would cause. For every death eater they might have caught there would have been several other common people caught.

Old March 9th, 2013, 8:17 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
He never tried taking over the ministry though, did he? And Dumbledore was a king sized obstruction and it took his death for the take over to happen.
We don't know if he tried before. Descriptions of the first war are rather sparse, though it seems like was an open war while the second one was less so.

Quote:
They could have, but I reckon it wasn't all the hassle it would cause. For every death eater they might have caught there would have been several other common people caught.
Then they'd have more impetus to research ways of identifying dark wizards and uncovering the dark mark.

Old March 9th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Then they'd have more impetus to research ways of identifying dark wizards and uncovering the dark mark.
Did they even know about the dark mark in the first war? Sirius seemed to have no idea about it and a lot of the death eaters like Malfoy who had the mark were let off

Old March 9th, 2013, 8:31 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Did they even know about the dark mark in the first war?
I'd think after the first few captures of DEs, they'd learn.

Quote:
Sirius seemed to have no idea about it
Well, Sirius was the equivalent of a common soldier. I'd think some higher-ups might've known. That his own family we DE-supporters may have made Sirius suspect by some higher-ups so there could've been political reasons to keep him from knowing everything.

Quote:
and a lot of the death eaters like Malfoy who had the mark were let off
Yeah, that they were never put under observation or anything really speaks out about how incompetent the Ministry became after the war.

Old March 10th, 2013, 9:37 am

Quote:
Yeah, that they were never put under observation or anything really speaks out about how incompetent the Ministry became after the war.
How do we know that they weren't put under observation? There is no reason to believe that the Malfoys hadn't learned their lesson, or at least changed their alignment so as to restore some of their old power within the wizarding society.

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old March 10th, 2013, 5:43 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
How do we know that they weren't put under observation? There is no reason to believe that the Malfoys hadn't learned their lesson, or at least changed their alignment so as to restore some of their old power within the wizarding society.
I mean after the first war, where Lucius said he was Imperioed and everyone believed it except Arthur.

Old March 10th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Quote:
I mean after the first war, where Lucius said he was Imperioed and everyone believed it except Arthur.
Once again, how do we know they weren't monitored? Is there ever any indication that the Malfoys were involved in any illegal activity between the first war and the diary incident?

Joseph Joubert

Old March 10th, 2013, 10:07 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Once again, how do we know they weren't monitored? Is there ever any indication that the Malfoys were involved in any illegal activity between the first war and the diary incident?
Arthur's attitude seems to suggest so, and Fudge's own attitude towards Lucius seems to imply that his family has been more or less cleared without any suspicions.

Old March 10th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Arthur's attitude seems to suggest so, and Fudge's own attitude towards Lucius seems to imply that his family has been more or less cleared without any suspicions.
What we see is ten years after the fall of Voldemort. There is no real evidence that he was immediately cleared without any suspicions after the first war.

Joseph Joubert

Old August 4th, 2013, 12:14 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm sure this has been mentioned (by me, for all I know), but I am (as always) too lazy to check the thread. But, in book 2 Ginny has green eyes, but in book 7 they are brown.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old August 4th, 2013, 3:16 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
I'm sure this has been mentioned (by me, for all I know), but I am (as always) too lazy to check the thread. But, in book 2 Ginny has green eyes, but in book 7 they are brown.
As far as I can tell, it's never mentioned in book 2 that Ginny had green eyes. She's not in it very much, just the very beginning, one day at breakfast later in the book, and the very end. No mention of green eyes that I could find.

I also checked book 1, but it's only mentioned that she's red-haired, nothing more.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old August 4th, 2013, 3:29 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
As far as I can tell, it's never mentioned in book 2 that Ginny had green eyes. She's not in it very much, just the very beginning, one day at breakfast later in the book, and the very end. No mention of green eyes that I could find.

I also checked book 1, but it's only mentioned that she's red-haired, nothing more.
How very bizarre, we were listening to the audio book yesterday and all three of us noticed that in Book 2 it was said that Ginny had green eyes, so I just now checked my hardcover and her eyes are brown.

Page 40, American version:

"Harry just caught sight of a pair of bright brown eyes staring at him before it closed with a snap.

"Ginny," said Ron."

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References