Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Book Communities Online - Goodreads, Shelfari etc

Old December 12th, 2010, 1:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Re: Does anyone use Goodreads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I know what you mean. Certain books I give higher ratings because they're part of my favorite series, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think they're better than books I give lower ratings to.

BTW, here's the link to me: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3725802
I know what you mean, a lot of my ratings, i look back and say did i really give it that? a lot of how i rate depends on how i feel the day i rate it and what kind of mood im in.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2010, 3:53 am
Malum Veneficus

At least the rating can be changed. If I reread a book and thought it was better/worse on the second read, I usually change the rating accordingly.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old December 12th, 2010, 4:45 am
Conquering Reading Lists

I agree about the rating problem, but the thing I love about Goodreads is the fact that the moment I hear about a good book or someone recommends a book to me, I can add it to my 'To-Read' list. That keeps track of all the books I'd like to buy/read, which is a huge help. I also love the fact that I can add as many tags or labels in the form of shelves to sort my books and they also have book lists/book clubs which is great.

This is me http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/83712-lilyrose

ETA: I have changed the thread title to include all book communities like Shelfari, LibraryThing etc and not limit it to Goodreads alone

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; December 12th, 2010 at 5:12 am.
Old December 12th, 2010, 5:48 am
Malum Veneficus

Re: Book Communities Online - Goodreads, Shelfari etc

In this case here's my Shelfari account. I use it more often than I use Goodreads. (feel free to add me )

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old December 12th, 2010, 7:13 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I have a good reads account, but I haven't been on it since I created it. Every now and then I get some random email from it. I do have a shelfari account which I update regularly. I'll post my link when I'm on the computer. I like browsing through peoples virtual libraries.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old December 12th, 2010, 1:54 pm
Second Year

I've added everyone who sent me a request

Old December 12th, 2010, 3:20 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
I agree about the rating problem, but the thing I love about Goodreads is the fact that the moment I hear about a good book or someone recommends a book to me, I can add it to my 'To-Read' list. That keeps track of all the books I'd like to buy/read, which is a huge help.
I always do that on Shelfari, too! My To Read shelf is getting very, very big. Here is my account. Just let me know your CoS name if you add me.

Old December 12th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

my to read list is probably more books than i can read in my lifetime I best get cracking

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old December 12th, 2010, 7:42 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

My To-Read list mostly contains books I want to check out from the library. The thing is I have a lot of books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read so I don't plan on going to the library soon. Thus, that list keeps growing and growing...

I do like looking at friends' shelves to see what they read and what they've rated high. Maybe if they gave a book a five I might check it out to see if I'm interested. I know we all have different tastes, but it is a way to find new material.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old December 14th, 2010, 2:11 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

The Never-Ending Quiz on Goodreads is fatally addictive. I wasted about an hour and a half on there this morning, when I only thought I'd been doing it for about 10-15 minutes. I'm absolutely rubbish at it, as well.

Old December 14th, 2010, 2:20 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
The Never-Ending Quiz on Goodreads is fatally addictive. I wasted about an hour and a half on there this morning, when I only thought I'd been doing it for about 10-15 minutes. I'm absolutely rubbish at it, as well.
Ooh me too! It's such a good way to waste time I've answered 190+ questions so far, I think Adding questions to it is fun as well.

I found something quite awesome in Goodreads yesterday when I went to 'Stats' via 'My Books'. It provides an excellent chart of all the books I've read every year from when I joined Goodreads along with my rating for those books. There's also a marker pointing out the 'longest book' I've read each year and a pie chart showing my 'top shelves'. It sums up years of reading in one page. So cool

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old December 14th, 2010, 2:23 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
I know! When I discovered it, it cost me many hours of additional stay at work. And I'm bad at it, too.

Old December 14th, 2010, 3:00 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I know! When I discovered it, it cost me many hours of additional stay at work. And I'm bad at it, too.
You're much better than me (and that was even before I hit a run of Twilight questions ).

Old December 14th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Ooh me too! It's such a good way to waste time I've answered 190+ questions so far, I think Adding questions to it is fun as well.

I found something quite awesome in Goodreads yesterday when I went to 'Stats' via 'My Books'. It provides an excellent chart of all the books I've read every year from when I joined Goodreads along with my rating for those books. There's also a marker pointing out the 'longest book' I've read each year and a pie chart showing my 'top shelves'. It sums up years of reading in one page. So cool
Oh that sounds really awesome. I would join Goodreads just for that if I didn't already have Shelfari.

Old December 14th, 2010, 3:45 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
You're much better than me (and that was even before I hit a run of Twilight questions ).
Um... that's actually because, after I saw how abysmally I was doing, and since I hate being bad at anything I attempt, I took to answering something like 15 pages of questions about Harry Potter. So, basically, I cheated. And I still got plenty of them wrong.

Old December 14th, 2010, 5:01 pm
Suteki da ne

It's the neverending trivia that's appealing to me, since TVLoop vanished from Facebook

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old December 14th, 2010, 8:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Anyone else finding the star rating a bit nonsensical, because you're not comparing like with like? When I gave The Da Vinci Code more stars than Mrs Dalloway, I realised I was committing an act of heresy, but how do you compare a throwaway piece of pulp fiction which you nonetheless found a thumping good read with a beautifully crafted literary masterpiece which is just not particularly to your taste?
Good breakdown on why not all stars are equal.

IMHO, I think most of us, but perhaps not most of everybody else knows a great read. For example, one author I enjoy but I know will never be a classic but I keep one or two of his books in the bathroom. I can pick it up at any moment and don't have to think about it. Another writer I'm reading right now I'm paying attention with great detail to every word because he's a craftsman. I don't know if his work will be a classic but I do know it has a better shot.

This is the difference between four and three stars.

Old December 14th, 2010, 8:12 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Oh, gosh I love it.

Quote:
Oh, wow. I didn't know about that. I've got to look that up.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:52 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
That sounds AWESOME. I'm jealous Shelfari doesn't have statistics now.

Old December 24th, 2010, 4:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Actual shelves? I know you can categorize your books, but I don't if you can display them on an virtual shelf (like this).
Yes, that's possible. It's just a setting in your profile that's put on 'table' for everyone, but you can change it if you want.

Just go to your books on Goodreads, any shelf will do. There's a 'search my books' search field in the upper right corner, and underneath that there are two buttons. The left one says 'covers' and the other says 'table'. It's normally put to 'table', but just click 'covers' and every book you listed on your shelves will be shown on their shelves, just like they would be displayed on Shelfari This is what it looks like on my account, so you can see: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list...helf=%23ALL%23

Hope this helps!

Also, about the different covers: you can change that, too.

Go to the book with a cover that you want to change. Click in the 'other editions' section on the right - where you see all the covers there are (listed) for that book - and click the cover you have/want. The screen will refresh now, and you'll see the same page, just with a different cover on display. Go to 'my review', right under all the info on the book, and click 'switch to this edition' (besides 'my review' and 'review this edition'). The cover on your shelf will be changed to the cover that you just clicked, which means that you don't have the 'standard' cover anymore.

Hope this helps, too!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction