Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The Walking Dead

Old December 1st, 2010, 5:34 pm
Queen of Apathy

Re: The Walking Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I also read another interview today with another one of the writers or creators (don't remember which). She talked about how in the comics, the cause of the zombification is never revealed . . . and it may never be revealed in the show, either. It sounded like that was something that was being discussed--if they would explain the cause or not. What does everyone think of that? Are you watching this show for the "mystery" of it all, like Lost? Or are you watching more for the characters? Personally, I'm curious about how this all started, but it won't really bother me if it's never explained.

I watch the show for the edge of your seat ride thrill it gives you. I actually really like the cast too. But see I am invested easily in the characters because I am a fan of the books.

Rick is a great character and I thought in the last episode he was very good in displaying his hopelessness. I admit to not being a huge fan of his wife Lori. Glenn is another favorite, as is Dale. I enjoyed Darrell and Merle for the nasty characters they are. Michael Rooker is a great actor and I am hoping he will return for Season 2. His character is not even in the book but he always plays a good villain.

The problem with this Season is that episode wise it is too short. You really need more then 6 episodes to thoroughly develop characters. This season is really just a teaser imo.

@Fawkesfan1 Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:17 am
Third Year

Ruh roh! I just read Frank Darabont fired the entire writing staff http://blastr.com/2010/12/frank-darabont-fires-enti.php. I hope he knows what he's doing

oneinthesandbox.tumblr.com
Old December 2nd, 2010, 4:37 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
I just read Frank Darabont fired the entire writing staff
Hmm. That's troubling. But according to the article, he did most of the writing, anyway, so hopefully he knows what he's doing.

What actually stood out to me in that aritcle was this:
blastrAMC doesn't plan to launch season two until around Halloween of next year.
I can't wait that long!

Old December 2nd, 2010, 1:12 pm
Queen of Apathy

Ugh Halloween of next year is so far away. I am surprised that Darabont fired the writers. I think so far they did an excellent job. The ratings of the show held on very strong every week.

So that means Darabont will definitely be back for Season 2? I have had a lot of people ask me recently.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 3:22 pm
Fifth Year

Well.... I hope the only reason he fired the writers is because there wasn't enough action in the show. There's a little too much talky-talky for my liking, not enough zombies. Though, when they are on onscreen, they look awesome.
Personally, I'd love them to go into the cause of the zombification. I like details like that, it makes the world more complete, IMO, and I can get into it more. Any show has characters you can get into, the reason I watch "The Walking Dead" and not some typical drama is because it has zombies! I think too many zombie movies never really go into why it happens, including Romero's classic works -I'd prefer to see a well thought out quasi-scientific reason for it though. The more realistic the circumstances, the more plausible the premise, the more you are immersed into the show/movie and the scarier it is.
They could take a cue from Star Trek, where nearly everything is based on real science or at least actual theory, and look at what a cultural phenomenon that is -it's not only because of the characters but because people can really connect with the entire universe. I also think the depth of detail and totality of the Potterverse is a reason that HP has also done so well.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 5:46 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I'm not sure that self-aware, sort of Scream-esque zombie movie has ever been made, but I'd kind of like to see one.
In that case, you need to get your hands on Shaun of the Dead. One of the best zombie movies out there.

And people describing this series as a teaser are right, much too short and much too long to wait if AMC are planning on a Halloween airing for season 2.

DH2A member/Malfoy Manor split supporter

"I like a quiet life, you know me."

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:21 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
Ugh Halloween of next year is so far away. I am surprised that Darabont fired the writers. I think so far they did an excellent job. The ratings of the show held on very strong every week.

So that means Darabont will definitely be back for Season 2? I have had a lot of people ask me recently.
Me too. I thought they did a good job as well.

I hope that things don't get too overly zombie focused series wise. I like to keep things balanced there between that element and the human one.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 2:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowansjet View Post
And people describing this series as a teaser are right, much too short and much too long to wait if AMC are planning on a Halloween airing for season 2.
Yes, that's just it--this "season" was just too short for them to wait a whole year before airing the second season.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 4:54 am
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Me too. I thought they did a good job as well.

I hope that things don't get too overly zombie focused series wise. I like to keep things balanced there between that element and the human one.
If it stays true to the books it will keep the balance. I love the zombie action but getting invested in the characters is the key to success for any show I think.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:36 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
It's the marriage of these two factors which holds my interest. Zombies aren't usually my cup of tea, but the overall scenario fascinates me too much to miss out. I hope that we do find out the origins of the virus and aren't just given unanswered question upon unanswered question.

Glenn and Dale are my favourite characters so far, I think. Andrew Lincoln always gives a great performance, too. I've only ever seen him with his English accent, though, so I'm interested to know how successful his American one is considered to be?

Also, can anyone tell me whether or not Daryl appears in the graphic novel? He isn't quite as horrible as Merle, IMO at least, so I'm interested to see where they take him. Can't wait for the final.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 4:55 pm
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
Also, can anyone tell me whether or not Daryl appears in the graphic novel? He isn't quite as horrible as Merle, IMO at least, so I'm interested to see where they take him. Can't wait for the final.
Darryl and Merle are not in the book. I think they are both great nasty characters. I want Merle to return so we can see what happened after he cut off his hand. Plus Michael Rooker would make a great villain for the show.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 9:17 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
If it stays true to the books it will keep the balance. I love the zombie action but getting invested in the characters is the key to success for any show I think.
That's cool -- there. That's why I'm so involved with NCIS and stuff. They have a good balance in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
It's the marriage of these two factors which holds my interest. Zombies aren't usually my cup of tea, but the overall scenario fascinates me too much to miss out. I hope that we do find out the origins of the virus and aren't just given unanswered question upon unanswered question.

Glenn and Dale are my favourite characters so far, I think. Andrew Lincoln always gives a great performance, too. I've only ever seen him with his English accent, though, so I'm interested to know how successful his American one is considered to be?

Same here with me. And same with that. Those kinds of shows usually are too gross out and stuff. It's nice to find a show in that genre that doesn't just focus on the zombies themselves.

Wow he's (Andrew Lincoln) English? Didn't know that. He does a really good American accent.

Me as well .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; December 3rd, 2010 at 9:20 pm.
Old December 4th, 2010, 5:46 am

The executive producer says that the writers have not been fired. Read article here.

Old December 4th, 2010, 6:09 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
The executive producer says that the writers have not been fired. Read article here.
Multiple seasons?!?!? YES!!!!! I guess the media & rumor mill spun this whole writing staff thing out of control. Oy vey

Old December 4th, 2010, 6:31 pm
Banned

I would like to know what you all think about this:

Spoiler: show
I've only seen 2.25 episodes and that's where I quit. I mainly quit because this plot hole is just too much to ignore. It is established that zombies have intelligence, that they remember past routines that were frequently performed. The example is that family's mother who turned the door knob. Now, if this is true, why wasn't the main character attacked in the hospital? Doctors and nurses worked there and their daily routine involved pushing gurneys/beds and opening doors. So it stands to reason, from this logical progression, that the door or gurney that was blocking the main character's hospital door would have been opened and he would have been devoured.

Old December 4th, 2010, 6:48 pm
Representative Homosexual

That's a weird plothole to quit on. They wanted to bring a character into the middle of the world instead of bringing him in at the beginning, and I'm not too bothered the hospital was empty. There were very few zombies even near the hospital when he left. It's possible they tried to keep the hospital some sort of safe zone or they were in the process of moving the patients. Or the military could have killed all of the hospital people. Who knows. Of all the hospitals in the entire country, it's not too unlikely that one or two of them had survivors. Besides, if he was in a coma, he'd have been half dead and zombies prefer living flesh, don't they? I'm not too worried about it, but I imagine it is going to be something that could be addressed at a later time.

Old December 4th, 2010, 7:40 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I would like to know what you all think about this:

I've only seen 2.25 episodes and that's where I quit. I mainly quit because this plot hole is just too much to ignore. It is established that zombies have intelligence, that they remember past routines that were frequently performed. The example is that family's mother who turned the door knob. Now, if this is true, why wasn't the main character attacked in the hospital? Doctors and nurses worked there and their daily routine involved pushing gurneys/beds and opening doors. So it stands to reason, from this logical progression, that the door or gurney that was blocking the main character's hospital door would have been opened and he would have been devoured.
I can see why you think this is a plot hole but in the show, I don't think the zombies are that intelligent & I don't believe they know their past routines. But I also don't think they're dumb as a rock. I kinda see them as cavemen; they see something & are kinda like "oh, what is this? What will this do?" With the mother returning to her house, I don't think she knew it was her house. She probably smelled human flesh or the writers needed some way of introducing her

I kinda see this show as Lost; there are a lot of questions but new, dramatic plots keep your attention. Well, for me anyways

Old December 4th, 2010, 7:49 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
I can see why you think this is a plot hole but in the show, I don't think the zombies are that intelligent & I don't believe they know their past routines. But I also don't think they're dumb as a rock. I kinda see them as cavemen; they see something & are kinda like "oh, what is this? What will this do?" With the mother returning to her house, I don't think she knew it was her house. She probably smelled human flesh or the writers needed some way of introducing her
But the mother turned the door knob. That denotes intelligence. Isn't there dialogue stating that the zombies may know past routines? I recall dialogue from the husband of the mother saying something before she turned the door knob.

Another reason I stopped watching the show is because the characters aren't very bright. The only reason they aren't so is because their ignorance is used as a plot device to get them from one dire situation to another. I mean, going back to save someone who most likely would have killed them anyway if he wasn't restrained is very, very stupid.

Old December 4th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Queen of Apathy

Morgan's wife was introduced as a way to bring more emotion into the story. Since he never killed her after she reanimated, it's possible she just stayed close by to the area she died in. I agree with Rastaban about Rick. He was in a coma and when he awoke very few zombies were near, besides the ones locked up. It's played out almost the exact same way in the book. Personally, I think Rick got lucky due to his comatose state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
Another reason I stopped watching the show is because the characters aren't very bright. The only reason they aren't so is because their ignorance is used as a plot device to get them from one dire situation to another. I mean, going back to save someone who most likely would have killed them anyway if he wasn't restrained is very, very stupid.

That was not the only reason they went back. They also went back to get more guns and ammo. Rick also wanted to warn Morgan and his son Duane not to come into the city. Remember he gave Morgan the other walkie.

Old December 6th, 2010, 7:57 am

That episode was intense, as usual. What are they going to do now???

I can't believe we have to wait a year for the next season.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television