Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The Walking Dead

Old November 8th, 2010, 11:12 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

The Walking Dead

I looked around for a thread relating to this show and couldn't find one...

So here I go...

I just watched the first episode of this new AMC series, and so far it's pretty good.

The writing is ok so far, and the creepiness of the series itself shows through well. I'm planning on watching the next episode to see where it goes from there.

Anyone else?

link to AMC's site about the show

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2010, 3:52 am
Queen of Apathy

Re: The Walking Dead

Yay!! I was just about to start a thread for this show! Thank you for making it.

I am a fan of the books and the show. So far The suspense that flows through the show is really great. I love the look of the zombies. They did a great job. Andrew Lincoln plays Rick very well. The most recent episode introduced Glenn and was pretty similar to the book.

Looking forward to next week.

ETA: And before I forget AMC has already renewed it for a second season. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/tvb...ad-for-se.html

Last edited by alwaysme; November 9th, 2010 at 3:55 am.
Old November 9th, 2010, 4:01 am
Seventh Year

There are three kinds of pilots in television (at least for shows that actually sell and become series):

-Pilots that make you think, "That was okay, it has some potential, I guess." (The Simpsons and Seinfeld, for example)
-Pilots that make you think, "Wow, that was really great - and I hope it isn't all downhill from here." (Lost and Pushing Daisies, for example)
-Pilots that make you think, "That was very good, I want to see the show that this promises, but what it has most is potential to grow."

Really, you want your pilot to be in that last category (I'd imagine), and I think The Walking Dead was; I thought it was a very well-crafted, nicely-directed show, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. I was watching something else last night, so I haven't seen episode 2 yet, but actually, I did just read that AMC's already picked it up for a second season.

Old November 9th, 2010, 4:08 am
Banned

It's "meh" overall. It hasn't brought anything new to the genre and it is highly predictable. I know some of the stuff was written before other films and the like came out, but it should be changed up a bit to make it different. Episode two is inferior to the pilot because of the predictability.

I'll give it one more episode and if it doesn't pick up and do something new, I'm out.

Edit: I'm forgot to say that the speech Rick gave

Spoiler: show
before cutting up that corpse is completely ridiculous. That guy is dead and he's not coming back. Why are you wasting time eulogizing him?

Last edited by NumberEight; November 9th, 2010 at 4:16 am.
Old November 9th, 2010, 6:46 am
Representative Homosexual

I am definitely watching, because my love of zombies doesn't care how good or bad something is. But I definitely am in the good camp on this show. I thought the pilot was great, suspenseful, and even played with some boundaries on television (maybe they've been crossed before but it seems like they were pushing it with shooting that girl in the head first thing).

I liked the contrast between the zombies attacking the horse in the pilot and the humans attacking the zombie corpse in the second episode. Zombie films have always been about watching morality crumble, but I felt there was a real moment of solidarity when none of them turned away from the officer guy chopping up the corpse. I mean, who would actually do that?

Those are just some quick thoughts, but I'm excited to see more.

Old November 9th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post

before cutting up that corpse is completely ridiculous. That guy is dead and he's not coming back. Why are you wasting time eulogizing him?
I actually liked that part because the show digs into human emotions & isn't just about senseless zombie killing with gore & guts flying around. I think it has equal parts gore & equal parts human nature. I love movies & shows that goes into human psyche when society falls apart.

With that said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOW! This & Vampire Diaries are my "cannot miss for anything" shows.

oneinthesandbox.tumblr.com
Old November 9th, 2010, 6:28 pm
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
I actually liked that part because the show digs into human emotions & isn't just about senseless zombie killing with gore & guts flying around. I think it has equal parts gore & equal parts human nature. I love movies & shows that goes into human psyche when society falls apart.
I liked it too. Rick feels empathy for how they have turned. In the first episode you get glimpses of that when he hesitates before killing the little girl. He also apologizes to the legless zombie as it crawls along before killing it.

Old November 9th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
I liked it too. Rick feels empathy for how they have turned. In the first episode you get glimpses of that when he hesitates before killing the little girl. He also apologizes to the legless zombie as it crawls along before killing it.
Yea I noticed that. It's something different than what we've seen in other zombie films and such. Dealing with the human side of things... and feeling sorry for those who have been affected.

@ alwaysme: Cool and you're welcome .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; November 10th, 2010 at 1:42 am.
Old November 14th, 2010, 5:05 pm
Third Year

I love this show so far! I wasn't a big fan of zombie movies, or anything like that for that matter however, it got me to like zombie-type movies. I really hope the show continues to be good.

Although it was sad, I liked the part where the black man sees his wife walking around outside the house, and he tries to kill her, but can't. I like it because it shows some emotion in the show so far.

Old November 14th, 2010, 6:18 pm
Queen of Apathy

Here is the TV guide scoop for tonight's episode. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Walking-...s=breakingnews

Anxious to see how Lori reacts when she realizes Rick is still alive. After everything that has happened it should be interesting.

Old November 14th, 2010, 7:22 pm
Third Year

Quote:

Doesn't that apply to any euology?

I do agree that the second episode was a step down from the first, but hey, there's only been two episodes. I'll see the complete first season, as it is just 6 episodes long, and then decide if I want to keep watching or not. It could very easily take the spot for gory good fun that True Blood previously had (season 3...ugh).

Old November 14th, 2010, 8:37 pm
First Year

I'm a big fan of zombie movies, so I was interested in checking out a zombie television show. The first episode was pretty good, but I didn't think much of episode 2.
I wish there was a place I could watch these episodes online. Hulu only has one episode up.

Old November 14th, 2010, 9:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyesbo View Post
Doesn't that apply to any euology?
No. The problem is that the guy didn't know the person he was eulogizing. He's also in the midst of a zombie apocalypse: he shouldn't be wasting time.

Old November 15th, 2010, 12:53 pm
Queen of Apathy

I thought last nights episode was really good. I liked when Rick made it into the camp. Talk about awkward. Then the ending when they went back into the city to get Merle. This episode was better then the last.

Old November 15th, 2010, 4:58 pm
Representative Homosexual

I thought this episode was great too! Lots of tension and a great cliffie.

Old November 15th, 2010, 11:25 pm

I got to see the second episode last night and it was ok.

Loved how the cop left the one guy handcuffed to the pipe -- he was kind of owed it ... due to his attitude.

Hopefully Rick will be able to rescue him...

Old November 16th, 2010, 1:03 am
Banned

Man, every time I see that idiotic image of the traffic in one direction I can't help but wonder: did no one not think to use the the other lane of traffic? It's empty now and it would have been when they all attempted to leave the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
IThen the ending when they went back into the city to get Merle.
What? What was the rationale behind going back to save someone and putting their lives in danger?

Last edited by NumberEight; November 16th, 2010 at 1:06 am.
Old November 16th, 2010, 4:50 am
Third Year

In the new episode,
kind of figured he would cut off his hand at the end. Thought it was a good ending to an episode though.

Old November 16th, 2010, 1:35 pm
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
What? What was the rationale behind going back to save someone and putting their lives in danger?
Well for one Darrell (Merle's brother) who was back in camp was none to happy when he found out they left his brother handcuffed on top of the building. Rick felt guilty about that but it was also because he wanted to get the bag of guns and ammo he dropped in the first episode.

Inside the bag there was also a walkie. Morgan and Duane have the other one. Rick wants to be able to warn them away from the city if he can. He feels that he owes them his life. Which he does.

I think this episode was meant to focus a lot on the human emotion of the show.

Old November 17th, 2010, 12:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuggleGirl09 View Post
In the new episode,
kind of figured he would cut off his hand at the end. Thought it was a good ending to an episode though.
Woah, that sounds painful . Didn't think that they'd have to resort to something like that though... thought that they'd find a way to cut through the hand cuffs or something.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television