Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Have you ever cried while reading a book

Old October 29th, 2010, 9:32 am
Second Year

Have you ever cried while reading a book

I'm not a very emotional person when it comes to crying, i can probably count the times i've cried in the last few years on one hand. but I recently read Marley and Me and the ending of the book really got to me. there were points where i pretty much had to stop for a second to regroup.

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:29 am
Malum Veneficus

Re: Have you ever cried while reading a book

I don't cry much while reading. It has to be something really emotional. I remember crying a lot at the end of My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult. I just couldn't bear the twist at the end, it was so unexpected for a book that went on straight without any turns. It really got to me .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old October 29th, 2010, 12:46 pm
Third Year

Oh my yes. I'm a sap. Big time. There was one book I was reading while on the bus with the youth group that had me in tears. Happy tears. Most of Karen Kingsbury's books I cry my way through. I cried while reading DH the first time through. Started crying when Hedwig was killed and didn't really stop til the end.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old October 29th, 2010, 12:48 pm
Third Year

I may have cried at the end of Martin The Warrior when I was younger, but I don't know.

And, of course, The Hunger Games - If you've read it, you know which part I'm talking about.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old October 29th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Zonko's Employee

I cry at the end of The Lord of the Rings. All those goodbyes are very sad...

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old October 29th, 2010, 1:28 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

I cry at all sorts of books all the time. I cried buckets reading Ann of the Green Gables, for example (admittedly, I was 11 or 12).

Old October 29th, 2010, 4:50 pm
Sixth Year

I consider myself a tough girl, but I admit (without any shame) that I cried at the end of A Tale of Two Cities. Also a bit in The Lord of the Rings, The Woman in White, and the end of Portrait of a Lady.

Old October 29th, 2010, 5:14 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

I cry quite easily and actually love the fact that a book was powerful/moving enough to make me cry. I tend cry more for non-fiction (is that weird?), biographies and memoirs especially. Basharat Peer's Curfewed Night, for instance, is probably the book that made me cry the most in recent times. M.J.Akbar's masterful biography of Nehru was so powerful and moved me to tears as well. I think the emotion a book evokes in me also has a lot to do with how I connect to the subject or theme of the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I cry at all sorts of books all the time. I cried buckets reading Ann of the Green Gables, for example (admittedly, I was 11 or 12).
That is a great book and had me in tears when I read it for the first time this year I still cry while reading some parts of Little Women which used to be my favourite book when I was about 10 or so. A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith is equally powerful. Some of Jhumpa Lahiri's short stories from Interpreter of Maladies and Unaccustomed Earth are amazingly intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I don't cry much while reading. It has to be something really emotional. I remember crying a lot at the end of My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult. I just couldn't bear the twist at the end, it was so unexpected for a book that went on straight without any turns. It really got to me .
Picoult's Nineteen Minutes had me in tears throughout the ending. It is an incredible book.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; October 29th, 2010 at 5:17 pm.
Old October 29th, 2010, 6:07 pm
Third Year

Quote:
posted by Clockworthy And, of course, The Hunger Games - If you've read it, you know which part I'm talking about
I forgot about Hunger Games. And Mockingjay.

I also forgot about the Anne books. Admitedly, I cry more in the movies than I do the books, but they make me cry too.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old November 1st, 2010, 1:48 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
Oh my yes. I'm a sap. Big time.
Same here. I cry at books, TV shows, movies, commercials.

I don't think I've ever made it through Where the Red Fern Grows without crying. I cried buckets when reading The Lovely Bones. Of course I cried in the Potter series several times: when Harry stared into the Mirror of Erised night after night; when Harry had to feed the potion to Dumbledore; when Fred died.

Old November 1st, 2010, 5:34 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Same here. I cry at books, TV shows, movies, commercials.

I don't think I've ever made it through Where the Red Fern Grows without crying. I cried buckets when reading The Lovely Bones. Of course I cried in the Potter series several times: when Harry stared into the Mirror of Erised night after night; when Harry had to feed the potion to Dumbledore; when Fred died.
I cried as well when Harry looked into the Mirror of Erised!! I remember that first time I had read it, I was eleven and sitting in the middle of class just bawling, and everyone was looking at me like I was weird. I think the Potter series is really the only one I've cried through. And the Green Mile, such a good book.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old January 15th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Registered Animagus

I cry at everything, especially books!

Marley and Me was the book that got to me the most though- I have a dog who is pretty much Marley and it's like that book was written about my life and when I got to the end, already knowing the pain of losing a childhood pet, I cried and cried and cried. I actually had to put the book down for an hour so I could cry!!!

in our family portrait
we look pretty happy
let's play pretend
let's act like it comes naturally

Old January 15th, 2011, 12:42 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Last time was Superman #75.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 15th, 2011, 1:43 pm
Second Year

Yup. I cried my eyes out with Harry Potter - mostly when Dumbledore died (had to put the book away and calm myself down) and then at the funeral (I decided I was just going to continue reading even though I cried my eyes out). Deathly Hallows was even 'worse' in that aspect: I cried when Hedwig was killed, when Mad-Eye died, at the graveyard, when Dobby was killed (OMG!! so sad), when Fred died, when Snape died, during the Prince's Tale, then when Harry went to go and face Voldemort - especially when he turned the Stone, I cried when McGonagall cried "NO!".. Er, well, my point is - that book really touched my heart and even when re-reading it, I completely tear up.

Old January 19th, 2011, 5:55 am
Second Year

I never really cried in books until the release of DH (in which I cried...a lot), and after that I started to cry regularly in books...I've become a huge sap.

In DH, I cry on and off throughout the book. Especially when I read about the Prince's Tale, Fred's death, Hedwig's death (and everytime she's mentioned afterwards), the part where Harry looks around Privet Drive before leaving forever, the walk in the forest (gives me goosebumps just thinking about it), and the epilouge.

I have never cried harder in a book than in a Tree Grows in Brooklyn...saddest book in the world, no joke.

There's a lot more, but the post would be way too long...I'm sad now.

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."

Proud Ravenclaw

Pottermore: CentaurCrimson47
Fremione - Because love isn't always canon.
Old January 19th, 2011, 2:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

I dont usually cry when reading books but a few really got to me. I was bawling buckets in Deathly hallows when harry entered into the forest to meet voldermort.

Other than that i was very near tears in a couple of points in the hunger games series. Once in hunger games and once at the end of mockingjay
Do not read below if you havent read hunger games
Spoiler: show
especially when rue died

And i was very near tears at the end of I am number four. I became really attached to the characters in this book.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old January 19th, 2011, 3:27 pm
Suteki da ne

I cried while reading "Wasted" by Marya Hornbacher, although I did feel it was a bit self-involved...then again, it is a book about eating disorders, so perhaps that's why it feels that way. I've also cried reading the Harry Potters, some Jacqueline Wilson books and Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes. I think that sometimes books just hit you...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old January 19th, 2011, 3:53 pm
Fourth Year

I hardly ever cry while reading a book. The Notebook made me cry though... That was so sad.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old January 19th, 2011, 6:12 pm
Fifth Year

I usually don't. I know lots of people were sobbing through DH, but only one moment made me get misty (when Mrs. Weasley is lying over Fred's dead body).

But there were two books that made me actually spill tears.

The first was The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall
I cried when Jamie killed herself after Barbara died because she didn't want to defile her name through openly mourning her as the woman she loved.

I read that scene on the public bus and cried right there forgetting where I was

The other was when reading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Through all the deaths and horribleness that happened throughout the book I didn't cry. But when Katniss and Peeta did the book at the end of all the people who died, I cried. Remembering all those characters who died and the unfairness of their deaths and the world they lived in was just too much. When Haymitch came in and added all the kids he had to watch die it made me think about how sad his life had been. This was a way for the three of them to begin to heal from all they had been through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I dont usually cry when reading books but a few really got to me. I was bawling buckets in Deathly hallows when harry entered into the forest to meet voldermort.

Other than that i was very near tears in a couple of points in the hunger games series. Once in hunger games and once at the end of mockingjay
Do not read below if you havent read hunger games
especially when rue died
What part in Mockingjay?

Old January 19th, 2011, 6:37 pm
First Year

I don't cry very much at all . But i noticed i cry during lots of movies and while reading some books . in harry potter and the deathly hallows movie i cried so much when Dobby died I also cried when he died in the book it was so sad .

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction