Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Blue Bloods

Old September 25th, 2010, 9:08 pm
Second Year

Blue Bloods

Another new series (on CBS). Anybody watch? What did you think?

I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. The brother and sister seemed a little too one-dimensional so far. The "do whatever it takes to get the job done" vs. "we have to respect the law" battle seemed a little, forced, I guess is the best word I can come up with. The subplot with the younger brother might be interesting, but it's too early to tell. I'll probably give it a few more weeks to see what kind of plot developments we get.

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2010, 7:13 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Blue Bloods

I liked it a lot. I like Tom Selleck and Donnie Wahlberg, so they're enough to keep me tuning in.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:54 am
Second Year

This episode was definitely better. The debate didn't seem as forced as it did the first episode.

Old October 4th, 2010, 7:19 pm
Sixth Year

Darn it. I missed last weeks episode. I'll have to catch it on the net later.

Old May 21st, 2011, 7:36 am
Second Year

This show has definitely grown on me. The characters have become much more nuanced and interesting. And I like how they wrapped up the big mystery (maybe in case the show didn't get renewed?). I wonder what the story arc will be next season?

Old May 21st, 2011, 8:34 pm
Curse Breaker

They went in a completely different direction after the respnse from the first three episodes than they thought they were going. Frank was supposed to be aloof and morally ambiguous. Part of the mystery initially was whether or not he was complicit in his own son's murder and was carrying guilt for it. He feels guilty that he wasn't able to protect Joe, but the very thought that he could be corrupt is patently ridiculous.

The only problem they might have is that Frank (Selleck's character) seems to be the pinnacle of his own gene pool. He's a better commissioner than Henry (his father) was, and he's a better line cop and detective than Danny is.

Appointment television on Friday nights...what a concept.

It should also be noted that Michael Weiss' character took the weight and committed suicide, but he never actually admitted pulling the trigger. I think this series is strong enough to function on its own without an overarching mystery. I guess we'll see.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 6th, 2012, 6:31 pm
Curse Breaker

Okay, it's been an entire second season and into a third.

Second season was excellent even if I didn't care for Jamey's subplot. The episodes for the third season have been a little up and down, but the quality is there. However, I am fuming over Jennifer Esposito getting dismissed for medical issues. It took them half a season to find a partner for Danny who clicked as an actor and a character. Then they gradually integrated her in until she became almost an unofficial "Reagan" by the end of the second season. And now, they're back to auditioning replacements. Hey CBS, take a break from counting the money and hire Espo back on a mecially feasible shooting schedule.

Old November 7th, 2012, 5:37 pm
Second Year

I knew she was off the show, but I thought it was temporary. Has CBS made is permanent? She's a great fit, they should keep her.

Old November 7th, 2012, 11:34 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, it was supposed to be temporary, but they haven't paid her for the work she already did, they aren't willing to work with her on scheduling, they already shot some eps (sounds like 4 or 5) with auditioned replacement partners for Danny. Last week was supposed to be her last episode, but the only thing in it was her name. I think one of the eps already ran, remember two weeks ago that episode with the officer from the intelligence unit abducted? That actor you barely remember being onscreen was sort of auditioning as Danny's new partner, and they wrote him in because, supposedly, he knew the vic from his time on the job before going overseas.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 4:02 am
Curse Breaker

So, they've had the auditioned replacement blonde (Megan Ketch playing Det. Kate Lansing) in for two episodes now. They're not writing much for her, and she hasn't been able to elevate what she's been given like most of the regular cast and Esposito could.

I liked the Frank/Erin/Nicki story, but Jamie's plotline was annoying because it was the third rehash of the same thing. He's protected two intelligent victims/witnesses who were surprised he went to Harvard (the gal who was being set up to be institutionalized by her brother, and the...witness he protected in the hotel) both affluent and well-educated and surprised that a grunt beat cop actually had a Harvard Law degree. He had decent spark with both, but neither ever came back. So, in Season 3, we have another spin. A classmate of his at Harvard crosses paths and is then the victim of a crime and has to look to him for help. The actress worked fine with Estes, but we've seen this before, and her questions about why he walked away from law practice mirror those of his fiance back in Season 1. Additionally, they keep rewriting the history of events in the Reagan household so I can't keep them straight. They can't even agree on the order in which the Reagan kids were born.

Most of the time it's the twins Danny and Erin (Danny a couple minutes older) then Joe, the peacemaker (now deceased), then Jameson (Jamie) the baby of the family. However, in the Season 2 episode where Frank learns that a man he helped convict on sexual assault charges is innocent, Frank makes reference to Joe just being born when he was 20. If he's (the inmate) Joe's a beat cop before he gets released because of DNA evidence. Also, so far as I know, the accepted order of events that led to the pilot

1. Henry Reagan was forced out as PC (perhaps Jamie's senior year of college)
2. Jamie gets accepted at Harvard Law
3. Mary Reagan (Frank's wife) contracts cancer (Jamie's second year of law school)
4. A few months later, two years and a half years after his father's forced retirement, Frank accepts the appointmnet to the PC's position at Mary's urging.
5. One year later, Jamie graduates Harvard Law, Mary's health has deteriorated, but she is present at the graduation. Joe begins trying to infiltrate the Blue Templar
6. One month after graduation (or thereabouts) Mary succumbs to cancer.
7. Three months after Mary's death, Joe is assasinated by members of the Blue Templar, who cover it as a drug bust gone bad
8. Less than six months out of Harvard and still grieving his mother, Jamie takes the entrance exam to the NYPD Academy.

Most of those are rough estimates, but we know that Mary was alive for Jamie's graduation from Harvard, that Mary was sick, but alive to encourage Frank to take the PC appointment, that Frank didn't immediately succeed his father in the position.

We know that Mary predeceased Joe and that Joe was killed after Jamie's law school graduation. This isn't even a complete list. When you consider that Erin and Danny are twins, things get even more complicated.

I bring Jamie's timeline up (as I understand it) because some of the comments his law school chum made

Something along the lines of "I remember what it was like at school when you learned your brother died." That's just stupid, lazy dialogue. Mary died before Joe and Mary saw Jamie graduate law school, so there's no way this woman remembers Jamie reacting to news of Joe's death while at Harvard. It couldn't have happened.

Last edited by jordmundt6; December 2nd, 2012 at 4:12 am.
Old December 19th, 2012, 2:24 am
Curse Breaker

I recently saw the last ep before the new year. It showed Jaimie in another personal crisis, and it was mildly interesting...sorta. It served to highlight the differences between Jameson, Frank, and Henry. Henry would have let the guy fall, Jamie was sorely tempted, but risked his life to save him. Frank would have maintained contact with his partner and busted the guy before the roof. *yawns* And now, we're supposed to love the dishrag blonde because she maybe saved Danny's life. This gal isn't able to elevate the writing the way that Espo did. They need Jackie back. C'mon CBS. Now's the time to eat crow.

Old December 30th, 2012, 7:01 am
Second Year

I don't think Erin and Danny are twins. According to the show's website, Danny is the eldest, and it doesn't mention anything about them being twins.

Old December 31st, 2012, 1:11 am
Curse Breaker

Frank calls them twins in several episodes (though I can't tell if this is a private joke, an indication that they're actually twins, or the possibility that they're "Irish twins" born a year apart).

Old December 31st, 2012, 2:36 am
Second Year

I always thought that was an allusion to the fact that their personalities are so similar, not that they were actually twins.

Old May 29th, 2013, 5:56 pm
Curse Breaker

They found an "okay" temporary replacement for Jackie after a diastrous first casting. Unfortunately, the big emotional pull for the season finale was supposed to be about Jamie's annoying partner. Not effective at all. However, with the guy who plays the Mayor committed to Arrow for the foreseeable future, looks like we'll have more turnover at the mansion.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 4:38 pm
Curse Breaker

So, Blue Bloods is back and still ticking. Now, Jamie's going to be Sam Swareck on Rookie Blue. Really? I still miss Jackie, but Danny's now established new partner is competent.

About the preview--
Spoiler: show
Mark "Captain Corne Pone" Blucas in a Hard Way script? Oh, come on.

Old October 12th, 2013, 9:46 pm
Curse Breaker

So, Captain Corn Pone was perfectly competent in their twist on the Hard Way plot.

I LOATHE the direction they have Erin trending. I don't mind Jamie so much, but I'm still not sure that a Swarek situation could actually play well on Blue Bloods. Plus a Swarek romantic mess doesn't really fit Jamie's perfect knight persona.

Old October 21st, 2013, 3:55 pm
Curse Breaker

I....well, Boyle was absent from this episode. That was a plus. I...well, tunnel vision during a chase with a suspect has already been dealt with far better on CSI, and we've seen honor killings crop up as a plot element on CBS dramas recently (NCIS and Blue Bloods in the same week), after they were discussed in 2000 on SVU. It was a little tough to take the father's old-world disapproval seriously because he was being portrayed by C.S. Lee and I kept imaginining Vince Masuka's goblin-giggle reaction to this situation.

Old August 26th, 2014, 9:16 pm
Curse Breaker

Blue Bloods was renewed for another season. Tough to tell exactly what they plan to emphasize. Will it be Erin's career in the wake of her attempt to take down her boss for corruption? Jamie eyeing a transfer to the detective bureau (or will this partner stick)? Danny being his maverick self? Or Frank actually exploring the idea of a serious relationship for the first time since his wife's death more than 5 years ago?

Old September 28th, 2014, 6:42 pm
First Year

I like the show alright. I've been watching it on and off lately. It's better than some of the shows that are out there right now.

#1 Rocky and Bullwinkle fan!!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television