Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Biweekly Book Thread #6

Old July 19th, 2010, 9:50 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Biweekly Book Thread #6

Welcome to the sixth of our special threads to discuss anything book-related!

Every two weeks, the staff will have a new topic up for discussion here. Forum Rules will apply as usual. Have fun

In addition, all the previous spotlight threads have been opened. If anyone missed posting in them or has more to post, go ahead

Biweekly thread 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

Now to the topic:

Reading Habits

Here are a couple of questions to get started:
1. Where do you get your books?
2. How often do you buy books? How do you decide if a book's worth buying?
3. Do you like reading books online?
4. Do you use Electronic readers? How do you like them?
5. Where is your favourite place to read?
6. How often do you read books?
7. What genre of books do you read mostly?
8. How do you decide what book to read next?
9. Do you like to have a little snack while reading? If so, what is your favourite snack to go with a book?

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; August 14th, 2010 at 4:47 am.
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:45 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Re: Biweekly Book Thread #6

Usually the library or a charity shop. I'll occasionally buy a book new if it's part of a series where I'm dying to know what happens next (e.g. HP, Stephen Booth's Cooper and Fry detective series) but very, very rarely. I sometimes get given books as presents.

2. How often do you buy books?

It depends - as I buy them secondhand, it depends if I happen to see something I like or not.

How do you decide if a book's worth buying?

Read the blurb, read a few pages, if it's in a genre I like, by an author I know I like or if I've read good reviews of it/herad good word of mouth.

No - my eyes start to go funny.

4. Do you use Electronic readers?

No

In bed or curled up on the sofa. If it's a sunny day, in a park or on a canal bank. But I can read anywhere.

It depends. I have phases where I read constantly and then I can go for a few weeks without reading anything. It probably averages out as a book every 1-2 weeks, though.

I'm totally addicted to detective novels. I should try to read other stuff, though, especially "serious" novels, as I do really enjoy them if I force myself.

No real method - just depends what I feel like.

9. Do you like to have a little snack while reading? If so, what is your favourite snack to go with a book?

I don't usually like eating when I'm reading (the pages get sticky), but there's nothing like curling up with a good book and a mug of hot chocolate on a cold evening.

Old July 19th, 2010, 11:59 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Yay new one!

I buy them - I like to have what I've read; plus books rarely get a second edition here and old books are rather pricey if they can't be easily found. I used to take books from the library when I lived in my hometown, but I don't have a permanent address in Sofia.

If I want to read it and we don't already have it at home, I buy it.

I've only ever read one, and I'm currently reading my second one. But I prefer a book, it's more mobile and easier to read; plus flipping back to check something is easier on paper.

I haven't used one.

In parks, cafes, public transportation, the beach, at home.

I read everyday, even if only a few pages (don't have time for more). I'd stopped reading for a few years, and I'm so glad I started again; I've always loved reading (as a child, my mother would beg me to go out and play with the other children, and force me to stop reading and go to bed already).

Fiction; novels and short stories.

Still going through an enormous to-read list - there's no need to decide, I have tons of book I've been planning on reading for ages.

Not necessarily. I like having coffee, though.

Old July 19th, 2010, 12:55 pm
Second Year

I usually get them from the library or my parents' huge collection they have shoved in the guest bedroom.

I tend to buy secondhand for cheapness and character, so whenever I see something I'm interested in, I'll get it. If I want to read something specific, I might pay a bit more and get it new, but that's rare and depends on pretty covers.

No, not particularly. I can do it if necessary though.

I haven't used one, but a friend has one, and I don't find it particularly appealing.

I really read anywhere, and it depends a bit on the weather. I'm usually happy in a comfy chair, though.

Not regularly enough. I don't have as much time to read as I used to, but I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Um, interesting books? I like reading dramatic things that are a bit different/quirky, historical novels, and teen trash.

Whatever is available, has been recommended to me recently, I'm in the mood for, that kind of thing. I have a rough list of books in my head to fall back on, but something usually strikes my fancy.

Usually coffee with a biscuit or some banana bread.

Old July 19th, 2010, 1:43 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

From the library, mostly. I'm a member of two libraries and I get a whole range of books from them. Secondhand books are great too.

How often I buy books depends on the books that have been published recently and if I'm interested in any of them. But typically, I buy a book every two months or so.

A book's worth buying, usually if I feel guilty about putting it back on the rack after reading the blurb Like The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which I saw in the bookstore for two days in a row and bought it the third day. It's one of my favourite books ever, now I always think of how I'd enjoy or need the book before I buy it. I buy a lot of non-fiction and history, primarily because I feel the need to own them and also because I refer to them when I prepare assignments for Uni. I buy a lot of classics too. And yeah, I rarely make impulse buys

No. I'm very old-fashioned in the sense I don't feel like I'm reading a book, unless I can flip through the pages.

No. I'm not sure I want to, either.

The sofa or my bed.

Like Yoana, I almost always read a couple of pages of a book every day. Nowadays, I'm reading too many articles and magazines for work that I don't find time to read as many books as I'd like to

Fiction, history, biographies, non-fiction. Not much of YA or travel. I never read self-help too.

I have a huge TBR list already (), but I decide based on what I feel like reading next, what books are making news and seem like something I might enjoy, as well as recommendations from people who usually have a reading taste similar to mine in one aspect or the other.

I love having tea while reading a book. Chocolate chip cookies are a great snack to go with a book too. I ate them because the book I was reading at that time (Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani) had gorgeous descriptions of food and I was hungry

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; July 19th, 2010 at 1:53 pm.
Old July 19th, 2010, 2:04 pm
Registered Animagus

I cannot possibly stress enough how great THIS website is! I get all my books for uni, and recreational reading from there because they're so cheap. It's a UK-based website that has thousands upon thousands of books, all sorts, ships worldwide for FREE and even with the exchange rate to Australia (which sucks by the way) it's still dirt cheap. I managed to get 10 books for English last semester for $A100... that's astounding, especially as buying them here would have cost me at least four times that.
(I don't make any money off the site lol, I just love it and want to share it with anyone who wants/needs books )

At least twice a year for uni, and maybe six times between that? I never buy books from Australia 'cos the costs are outrageous, I always order from the link above. At least then if the book isn't great I haven't wasted my money (much). I'll generally read a book I've heard is good via word of mouth, or by an author I know is good.

No, only on paper.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I think some electronic readers are quite clever and handy, but I'll always be a sucker for printed versions.

On my bed

For recreation, generally only during university holidays 'cos I have no time to read other stuff during the term. I get through about 30-40 books a year on average.

Hmmm probably thriller/mystery/drama but I've read sci-fi, fantasy, comedy and all sorts of other stuff.

I have a pile of books (about 50 high at the moment ) next to my bed and I just work my way through it.

I just drink coffee. A lot of coffee.

Old July 19th, 2010, 2:46 pm
Malum Veneficus

Usually from a nearby bookshop and very often from online libraries.

I buy books quite often. Much more than I really need to. I can't pass the bookshop without having a look. And I can't have a look without buying something! . My regular visit though, is probably once every two weeks.
I choose books written by authors I already know and have read some of their stuff. I also look for books that I've seen/heard discussed here.
Also, I'm subscribed to an online library which sends me new books in categories I've chosen.

Just a few opening pages or perhaps the first chapter.
I did that with DH, .

I don't have an Electronic reader. But I currently use my phone and pc for that purpose. I think Electronic users are quite useful and I'm planning to buy one soon enough because reading consumes my phone battery quickly.

Either my bedroom or the balcony whenever the weather is good. But I read in other places, too.

In summer and vacations in general I read everyday. What else is there to be done? . In the school year I try to dedicate an hour of each evening for reading, but it often happens that I miss that hour due to school work. So during the school year, its probably only in weekends that I manage read something.

I love Fantasy the best, but almost any well-written book will do.

If I'm reading a series, it's easy to decide which book I'd read next. I can't rest till the whole series is finished! If I'm reading individual books, probably I might be interested in a book by the same author. It's nice to make comparisons between an author's different books.

No, I rarely eat snacks while reading. However, when I do, it's usually chocolate.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old July 19th, 2010, 3:01 pm
Third Year

My cousin's house, library, Barnes & Noble, Mardel (Christian Bookstore), Half Price Books

When it's in the budget.

Usually if it's an author I'm already in love with, if the cover looks good, if I checked it out from the library and read it a few times before turning it in.

Nope.

Nope

Seriously, the bathtub while having a bubble bath but really anywhere, living room recliner, bed, desk at work...

All the time!

Christian Fiction, Young Adult, Classics, Kids, Romance, Fantasy, mysteries, general fiction

well it's usually whatever I'm in the mood for. Or as in the case currently, I'm going to finish my current library book and pick up my next one.

Milk.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old July 19th, 2010, 3:06 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

The book store most likely. I usually wait around awhile for new books to go on clearance instead of rushing out to get it when it first hits the shelves. Or I wait for the paperbacks to be released, but that usually takes forever. Lately though I've been hitting a lot of rummage sales and thrift stores, so I've been getting books for cheap.

Erm....I probably buy them way too often. Like now for instance I have about twenty books that need to be read, they're just sitting on the shelf at the moment. I can't pass them up if I can get them at a good price. It really depends on how much I hear about it. If I read someone's post here that it's really good, and if I hear a co-worker or a friend talk about it, then I usually pick it up.

NO. I wouldn't know where to anyhow.

NO. I don't plan on using one at all.

Usually I like to read in my bedroom. During the winter time when it's not so hot, I sit outside in my backyard, or by the lake on the school campus.

I've been picking up on my reading. According to shelfari, I've read sixteen books this year. Not sure whether that's good or bad.

My preference is normally fiction. I've been reading quite a few non-fiction books lately, and I'm rather enjoying it. I don't stray too much toward science fiction, that's not generally my area. However, I am reading a rather good science fiction book at the moment.

It depends on how much or how long I want to read it.

Erm, I try not to eat when I read, only because I've been known to leave finger marks on the pages.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 19th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Gwen's Auntie

Usually at used book stores or library purge sales. If it's something I really want, or if I have enough money, I'll go to Barnes & Noble or Amazon or some such place to order it.

I buy all of my books because I like owning them. To me, pretty much every book is worth buying.

Not so much. The screen tends to hurt my eyes and I end up losing my place a lot.

My little sister has one and I've used hers. It's not as good as having the actual book in your hands, but it isn't bad. My only complaints are that 1) after awhile the screen hurts my eyes and 2) the touch screen makes it hard to turn pages, and if you click the link to go to the footnotes, it takes forever to get back to where you started, you can't just flip through it like a regular book.

Anywhere, really. So long as it's quiet enough that I can concentrate, but not too quiet (because then I can't concentrate either), I can read anywhere.

For as long as I can remember, I've been in the middle of at least a few books. Some days I only read a few pages or chapters and other days I read nonstop all day, but I always read something every day

Literary Fiction

Basically whatever sounds good is what I read...a lot of the books on my shelf I haven't read yet, so I just go through my bookshelf and pick one out.

Coffee, chocolate, cookies For some reason, they all go well with books

Leave people better than you found them.
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old July 19th, 2010, 4:33 pm
Banned

Bookstores or as Christmas gifts.

I buy books once per year, then spend an obsessive amount of time analyzing each one as I read and re-read it. I've been working on Ulysses for five months on-and-off and only recently began to understand any of it (the first 5 of 18 episodes). Between attempts, I spent about a month or two on Pride & Prejudice.

Not really. It sort of hurts my neck.

I don't use them.

On my bed. In theory it would be outside on a rocker, if I still had one.

Frequently, and when I'm not reading them I often spend time analyzing them, whether it's through online discussion or internal monologue.

Classical romance, horror, epic fantasy, psychological thrillers, dystopia... as long as it's written in a manner that takes deep thought to really peel away 4 or more layers of analysis (or occasionally something that doesn't but is just fun to read and does take some thought, HP being my favorite of that group) I'll read it.

I have a number of goals bookwise, many of which were chosen for their reputed challenge factor. The reason I chose Ulysses was because I was told it'd be a good choice for someone with my experience and was the most challenging book in the English language (I've been since informed that Finnegan's Wake is like reading Ulysses at 1/10th of the speed). I also choose some books to learn new writing styles, among my reason for choosing both Ulysses and A Clockwork Orange this year. However, I also like to immerse myself in a different world with my books as well as my movies. I consider a good book to reflect the contemporary society but a great book to foster an escape from the present one.

It depends on what I'm reading. Different books give me different tastes. Jane Austen, for instance, gives me cravings for fresh Italian Ices or tea. Harry Potter gives me a taste for peanut butter & jelly. Ulysses is semi-unique, along with The Great Gatsby, in that it gives me no particular taste for anything.

Last edited by APolaris; July 19th, 2010 at 4:37 pm.
Old July 19th, 2010, 4:37 pm
do you want fries with that?

The majority of the books that I have now I ordered through school. Now I tend to order them online through half.com or Amazon. If I absolutely can't wait for a book to be shipped her and have to get my hands on it immediately, I usually purchase it at Barnes and Noble.

Unfortunately I don't buy them very often. I just don't have the opportunity to read as much as I would like. To me, pretty much any book is worth buying. I'm sorta a collector of books, and the more the better.

Yes. I'm legally blind so reading books online has a huge advantage: I can enlarge the font and make it much more relaxing to read. It is also much cheaper than buying large-print books. Nonetheless, I like to have an actual hard copy of books.

No. I do use book apps on my iTouch though, and that is pretty decent at times. I would love the chance to get an e-reader.

On my Oma's couch in Germany. Haha, I don't get the opportunity to read there very often, but I love it! Other than that I usually read on my bed.

*sigh* Not nearly as often as I would like. I love to read but reading is really a strenuous activity for me. I do get into moods where I absolutely have to read.

I love historical fiction and I love to read non-fiction especially books about culture, language, geography, and travel.

Usually I just choose randomly. Sometimes I go off of suggestions given to me by others.

Nah, I prefer not to eat and read. I don't like to risk getting my books dirty.

The Next Mesut zil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old July 19th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Sixth Year

In bookstores.

Too often to my own good. I usually look at the index and some pages inside the book to decide. Of course, there are some authors I buy because I know it will be good.

No, my eyes don't support it.

No.

I can read everywhere. But I like reading when lying on the bed.

All the time. My work is about reading books, and my leisure time - too.

To my pleasure - fantasy, Sci-Fi, horror, detective stories...

*gulp* I look at my shelves where some fifty new books wait their turn... and I pick one...

I try not to eat while I read, but sometimes... things like fruits or nuts.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old July 19th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Fourth Year

I tend to buy most things online now, but if I'm in a book shop and I see a book I like the look of then I'll buy it there

I don't buy them that often - the library is around the corner from me so it's easier (and cheaper) to borrow them if I'm planning to read a specific book. But I will buy them, as I said before, if I just see one in a shop that I fancy.

I never have done, only fan fiction. But I don't think I'd like it - I don't have a laptop so it's much easier to read a book.

Nope, I'd quite like to try one though because it's probably easier than carry a laod of books around on holiday.

In my bedroom, but if no one else is in the house then I'll read in the living room

I'm always reading a book, a lot of the time it's one that I've already read though.

Mostly action/adventure type books like Harry Potter, but I will read the odd classic occasionally.

Normally recommendations off the internet or I'll hear of a book in passing and then decided to read it because my mum always complains that I'm reading the same books

I don't eat while I'm reading usually but if I'm feeling lazy then I'll have a few biscuits or whatever's in the cupboard Although, if I'm really into a book then I'll read it while I'm eating meals.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old July 19th, 2010, 8:37 pm
Seventh Year

I buy mine mainly through Amazon.com, Science Fiction Book Club, or from independent sellers via Amazon.

I buy at least one per month. For me, it has to hit my interest buttons. That means, usually, space adventure, sci-fi, fantasy, includes witches, wizards, space combat, historical combat, alternate history... Many differing qualities.

If you mean going to a site to read a novel, no. I don't mind reading snippets, but I prefer books with actual paper I can feel and smell as I read. lol... I don't mean I sniff the book, it just means that I like the smell of a book as I read.

I've used the Microsoft Reader for a few free novels I could download from Baen Books. It wasn't bad, but I prefer paper books.

Anywhere. Car, home, outside.... Doesn't matter.

Daily.

Historical, political, alternate history, fiction, science fiction, fantasy.

By feel. I take into account how I'm feeling. Am I in the mood for witches, wizards, and vampires? Or, am I in the mood for history? Maybe I'm in the mood for science fiction(which includes many sub-genres)?

Don't need a snack usually, but if I'm hungry while I read, I make some Koolaid and perhaps a PB&J and read some more.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:25 pm
Elvendork

I usually buy them or borrow some from people I know. I just started to go back to the library, but hopefully I won't I get fines again.

I definitely buy a book if it's a sequel to something I already love. It's a bit irresponsible that I buy any book that interests me, but I love the feeling of owning another book. Usually I end up liking the books I buy, though.

Ugh, no, I absolutely hate it! I need to be in a really comfortable spot when I'm reading, like a bed or a sofa. Plus it kind of hurts your eyes after a while when you sit in front of a screen for so long.

N/A

My bed. I need to be in a quiet area and completely alone, usually. Plus when I react to the books, I'd rather not have someone look at me while I do so.

I used to pretty often but I've only read two books voluntarily during the school year. So, naturally, I've been obsessed with reading because I miss it so much!

I'm pretty open to reading any genre, really. I'm a bit wary of reading a classic because usually that means I have to analyze it a bit, so I have to be in the right mindset for them. As long as a book is good, I'll read it!

But, now that I think of it, I don't read non-fiction. I like escaping into a new world so I can draw my own conclusions about what can happen.

I read summaries and look at the general opinion, whether it's form random readers on Amazon.com, an author, or a critic.

I can't really eat while reading because I'm too absorbed - I'll make a mess of myself!

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
Old July 20th, 2010, 10:00 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Mainly buying from bookshops (new & second hand), charityshops or borrowing from the Library.
I’ve also found using book swapping web sites really good – more space on my bookshelves, a better turnover and I’ve tried a lot of new authors who I probably wouldn’t have bought books by but swapping costs so little that there really isn’t a big risk!

2. How often do you buy books?

Money is an issue for me, but if I have some spare then books do tend to get bought,

How do you decide if a book's worth buying?

: hmm: Well there are certain authors I know I’ll probably like, if I’ve heard people talking about a book and it sounds interesting. There have been times when I have really like the look of a book cover and so have read the blurb on the back and if that didn’t put me off then I’ve brought it – oddly despite the old saying about not judging a book by its cover it seems to have worked out quite well!

Not really – It’s just not as pleasant as a real book, books are really portable and easier on the eyes than a computer screen imo.

Most places but my favs would be curled up on the sofa or lounging on my bed.

One place I just can’t / won’t read a book is in the bath! It just feels wrong to me, all that water damages the book.

It’s rare for a day to go by with out me reading.

I tend to go through phases – there are only a few genres I don’t tend to read. Crime just doesn’t appeal to me (but I adore Sherlock Holmes – he’s just in a different category in my head I guess) I also don’t tend to read horror, although I love horror films of the Hitchcock type not the gore type.

Well I have a big stack of books on my to be read list – recently I actually separated them from my other books and gave them a shelf to themselves & that has actually helped me get through them quicker!

9. Do you like to have a little snack while reading?

It would distract me from reading too much and getting crumbs/oil etc on the book would worry me.

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)

Last edited by kittling; July 20th, 2010 at 10:09 am.
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:41 pm
Third Year

School library, usually, if it's a book I hadn't read before.

I buy used books a great deal of the time; But I'd have to have read the book from somewhere else more than once and liked it a great deal. I also like to buy series that I've read. (Ironically enough, the fifth Mistmantle book came out today--all sold out. Boo!)

Sometimes, I just can't buy an entire series because the books have gotten far from the origin.

Not really. It strains and hurts my eyes.

No

In the bathroom. Ever notice that people don't bother you there?

All the time. There's always something on my "Reading Now" list.

Anything that catches my attention, but I have an abundance of fantasy books.

Careful consideration. I go "Can I remember what happened in this book?" If I can't, I pick it up.

When school is in session I read at lunch. So whatever they're serving.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old July 20th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Suteki da ne

Charity shops, people from work. If it's a book I really want, I'll buy it new
As often as I can, and I read the blurb on the back. If it sounds good, I'll flick through the pages and see what the writing's like
Not really- I like my books
I've never used one
ANYWHERE!!!
As often as I can
Bit of everything, really
I don't decide until I need another book, then I look at what I've got and see what I fancy
Not always, but I do will read and eat while reading, if I'm hungry or thirsty. I won't sit down and think "This book needs a bag of crisps to go with it" or whatever

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old July 20th, 2010, 5:45 pm
Second Year

1.Where do you get your books?
I prefer buying them, but I can't buy every book i want to read, so i use the library.
I spend all of my money on books whenever i can, and i decide by the Title usually, or mostly if it's by an author i like i trust that, and buy the book.
3. Do you read books online?
No. Never, nothing beats having a book in your hands.
4.Do you use Electronic Readers? How do you like them?
See answer to number 3 =]]
5. Where is your favorite place to read?
In my bed, or on my favorite couch, by the fireplace, preferably if it is lit.
ALL THE TIME, for the last three years, i havent been without a book to read!
7. What genre do you read mostly?
Well, i read anything, but I'm partial to mystery and adventure, but a little romance never hurt anyone
8.How do you decide what book to read next?
Well, basically if i like the author i just read then i will go deeper into what else they've written, or i usually make lists beforehand of all the books i want to read.
9. Do you like to have a little snack while reading? If so, what is your favorite snack to go with a book?
Twizzlers, i like eating twizzlers while reading, because they aren't sticky and last long

July 15,2011
<33333333333

Wit Beyond Measure is Mans Greatest Treasure
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction