Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

A Game of Thrones

Old January 23rd, 2011, 3:33 pm
Third Year

Re: A Game of Thrones

Thanks guys Already ordered Game of Thrones from Amazon. It'll arrive here next week. I'll let you know what I think of it when I'm done.

Does anyone know the structure of the series? One book = one season?

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:05 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyesbo View Post
Thanks guys Already ordered Game of Thrones from Amazon. It'll arrive here next week. I'll let you know what I think of it when I'm done.

Does anyone know the structure of the series? One book = one season?
For the first two seasons that will be the format (assuming it gets picked up for a second season). But Martin said that from there on they will need to split the third book into two seasons. And the fourth and fifth books will make it even more challenging as they are two whole books that run simultaneously. So Season 5 would be a combination of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, and Season 6 will be the continuation of that. From there the speculation is that Season 7 will be the rest of A Dance with Dragons (since the end of the book is supposedly returning us to all the characters not just half) then Season 8 would be The Winds of Winter and Season 9 would be A Dream of Spring. So it would take 9 seasons to finish the series (which gives Martin enough time to finish writing it ) That is, of course, assuming the series gets picked up for that long.

This brings up another interesting point though: the ages of the younger characters. The first five books really only take place during a two year period, IIRC. However with the TV show that is 6 or 7 years, so the younger characters will not be so young by the time the story is being told. Although the first season will run with the first book, I think they will have to have the story happen over a longer period of time, probably one year per season, instead of a few months per book. That way if we do get 9 seasons it wont be weird to see a 20 year old actress playing Arya who should be probably 14.

Old January 31st, 2011, 3:48 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
For the first two seasons that will be the format (assuming it gets picked up for a second season). But Martin said that from there on they will need to split the third book into two seasons. And the fourth and fifth books will make it even more challenging as they are two whole books that run simultaneously. So Season 5 would be a combination of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, and Season 6 will be the continuation of that. From there the speculation is that Season 7 will be the rest of A Dance with Dragons (since the end of the book is supposedly returning us to all the characters not just half) then Season 8 would be The Winds of Winter and Season 9 would be A Dream of Spring. So it would take 9 seasons to finish the series (which gives Martin enough time to finish writing it ) That is, of course, assuming the series gets picked up for that long.
Wow, it sounds like a logistical nightmare. And Martin really needs to write faster in some way, because it could run in the danger of halting production for a long time (which could kill the show), or have it shot at the same time that Martin is writing it.

Quote:
This brings up another interesting point though: the ages of the younger characters. The first five books really only take place during a two year period, IIRC. However with the TV show that is 6 or 7 years, so the younger characters will not be so young by the time the story is being told. Although the first season will run with the first book, I think they will have to have the story happen over a longer period of time, probably one year per season, instead of a few months per book. That way if we do get 9 seasons it wont be weird to see a 20 year old actress playing Arya who should be probably 14.
That'll be interesting too. It wouldn't be nice to see different children play the roles because they grew up. We luckily avoided that for the most part in HP.

So I guess that, for now, everything is taking it a season at a time. Seems the smarter thing to do now. In other news, my book hasn't arrived ¬¬ I guess it'll arrive soon this week

Old February 9th, 2011, 1:35 am
Third Year

Okay, so the book arrived Friday. I finished it today. So, yeah, I really liked it

I think it'll play well as a TV series. It has great intrigue, awesome characters, and several cliffhangers. I'm eager to see how one particular development (you all know which) will be received. It would be a great way to end an episode, though.

For the most part, I think they can keep the budget in line. Bigger battle scenes might be difficult, but even then...we don't see much of them. We either hear them narrated, or it's just a small part in a bigger battle.

Old February 20th, 2011, 4:20 am
Squee-worthy

Another new trailer has been released. This one is entitled "An Invitation to Westeros:"

I really didn't think they could get me more excited for this show, but I definitely get more and more excited with each trailer they release. It was great to see some new footage, I loved seeing a glimpse of Tyrion at the Wall, I just wish they would show a little bit of Tyrion is action. I'm dying to see Peter Dinklage's take of Tyrion.

It looks like the show is going to be very rich in cinematography, some of the shots from the trailers have been very fascinating. Also I love the clear distinction there is between the different locations. Whereas King's Landing looks very exotic, Winterfell and the Wall look cold and barren. From what I've seen they've done a fantastic job of bringing the different locales to life.

Old February 20th, 2011, 11:11 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
It looks like the show is going to be very rich in cinematography, some of the shots from the trailers have been very fascinating. Also I love the clear distinction there is between the different locations. Whereas King's Landing looks very exotic, Winterfell and the Wall look cold and barren. From what I've seen they've done a fantastic job of bringing the different locales to life.
It definitely looks like they're spending a huge amount of money on this series. This is of course great. The series is epic and it deserves an epic setting. On the other hand, it's also risky. If the production is expensive, a series needs extra high ratings and it's quickly axed even though it's doing well (see Rome).

Old February 28th, 2011, 5:03 pm
MODLY CREW

The new extended trailer looks amazing! I didn't think I could become more excited for this but I am now!

Old February 28th, 2011, 5:32 pm
Squee-worthy

It does! I love the fact that they're finally showing us a bit of the scenes, interactions and dialogues between the characters. Although I really want to see Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, but I love that we've seen Ned and Catelyn and Jaime and Cersei and Robert. I really can't wait to see the younger characters in action too.

Also, HBO has launched a website called The Maester's Path, a viral marketing campaign based off the Maester's Boxes sent out to various fansites and reporters last week. It looks like there will be a new link in the Maester's chain to forge every Monday for the next five weeks. And while we're told not to share the rewards for earning the first link, I promise you, they are fulfilling and sweet

Last edited by Lord Godric; March 1st, 2011 at 1:14 am.
Old March 1st, 2011, 8:52 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Also, HBO has launched a website called The Maester's Path, a viral marketing campaign based off the Maester's Boxes sent out to various fansites and reporters last week. It looks like there will be a new link in the Maester's chain to forge every Monday for the next five weeks. And while we're told not to share the rewards for earning the first link, I promise you, they are fulfilling and sweet
I obtained my first link this afternoon. Definitely worth it.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old March 4th, 2011, 12:05 am
Squee-worthy

In all the excitement of a release date for ADWD, it seems like no one noticed that a new trailer was released for Game of Thrones today. This one was exclusively obtained by Entertainment Weekly and really is the best one yet. It is the first real trailer we have seen, with glimpses of many scenes and characters.

We get to see the Wall for the first time as well as a quick glimpse of the "White Walkers" aka The Others. Finally we see a little bit of Tyrion and the Stark kids in action! Also we got to see a little bit of the deviousness of Littlefinger.

Here's a link to EW's site with the trailer but be warned "The trailer, which you’ll only find here on EW, is slightly NSFW (sort of PG-13-ish … the show itself, btw, is very NSFW)."

Last edited by Lord Godric; March 4th, 2011 at 12:35 am.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:34 am
Zonko's Employee

I just saw it. Can I just say that I'm loving Littlefinger so far?

Old March 6th, 2011, 10:29 pm
Third Year

It is a great trailer indeed. I would embed the HD Youtube version here, but as Lord Godric says, it's slightly NSFW.

Anyway...I agree with all of the above The Wall looks stunning, I'm loving both Dinklage and the actor playing Littlefinger (disregarding how I feel about the character (I've only read book 1, though)). I got a feeling that the actor playing Jon Snow will grow on me, as the character did. Can't this show premiere already? Or my shipment of books 2-4 arrive?

PS. The Maester Path's reward = totally worth it. It's one instance where I don't want to spoil the surprise.

Old March 7th, 2011, 5:34 am
Squee-worthy

And there should be a new puzzle and reward later today.

Also, it looks like HBO is gonna be airing the first full 15 minutes of Episode 1 (entitled "Winter is Coming") on April 6th!

Old March 7th, 2011, 7:12 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
And there should be a new puzzle and reward later today.

Also, it looks like HBO is gonna be airing the first full 15 minutes of Episode 1 (entitled "Winter is Coming") on April 6th!
Oh, evil teasers! I want the whole pilot now. *wibbles* But the first 15 minutes most likely introduce us to the Others, which I would love to see very, very much.

Old March 7th, 2011, 6:06 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Oh, evil teasers! I want the whole pilot now. *wibbles* But the first 15 minutes most likely introduce us to the Others, which I would love to see very, very much.
We saw a quick glimpse of an Other (or White Walker as they're called on the show) in the EW trailer. They're not exactly what I imagined, but they got the eyes right, and if you look closely you can see it wielding a sword made of ice.

Also this week's link to earn for the Maester's Path was significantly harder than last weeks. It really requires some knowledge of the Seven Kingdoms and some heraldry. But I was very satisfied by the reward again. I love this marketing campaign.

Last edited by Lord Godric; March 8th, 2011 at 8:54 pm.
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:28 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
We saw a quick glimpse of an Other (or Walk Walker as they're called on the show) in the EW trailer. They're not exactly what I imagined, but they got the eyes right, and if you look closely you can see it wielding a sword made of ice.

Oh that's not what I imagined at all. For one thing I always thought of them as rather expressionless. There's something about a creature that doesn't show any emotion (not even happiness/satifaction/disappointment) whether you live or die that has always frightened me. And pale skinned.

Old March 8th, 2011, 3:54 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
Oh that's not what I imagined at all. For one thing I always thought of them as rather expressionless. There's something about a creature that doesn't show any emotion (not even happiness/satifaction/disappointment) whether you live or die that has always frightened me. And pale skinned.
But they do have emotion. In the Prologue to GoT they laugh as they killed Ser Waymar Royce.
GoTThe watchers moved forward together, as if some signal had been given. Swords rose and fell, all in a deathly silence. It was cold butchery. The pale blades sliced through ringmail as if it were silk. Will closed his eyes. Far beneath him, he heard their voices and laughter sharp as icicles.
So they do show at least some emotion, that is joy in killing humans. Tbh, I always just imagined them as ruthless, murderous, humanoid creatures that, like you said, had skin so pale it was nearly blue, and then obviously with their blue eyes.

Old March 8th, 2011, 4:51 am
Banned

Quote:
I haven't followed this thread for so long I'm hopelessly behind. A 15 minutes episode? How many episodes in one show?

"Walk Walker" for the Others? Strange. Where did that come from?

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
But they do have emotion. In the Prologue to GoT they laugh as they killed Ser Waymar Royce.
GoTThe watchers moved forward together, as if some signal had been given. Swords rose and fell, all in a deathly silence. It was cold butchery. The pale blades sliced through ringmail as if it were silk. Will closed his eyes. Far beneath him, he heard their voices and laughter sharp as icicles.
So they do show at least some emotion, that is joy in killing humans. Tbh, I always just imagined them as ruthless, murderous, humanoid creatures that, like you said, had skin so pale it was nearly blue, and then obviously with their blue eyes.

Huh. I had forgotton that part. (I really do need to read the series again) Or maybe it was the fact that they killed in silence that I remembered rather than the laughter afterwards. (Isn't it funny what we choose to accept and discard visually when we are reading a story?) And this might be because I haven't read the GoT for a while but their kills sometimes come back as zombie like creatures. I thought I saw one in the trailer? So I do think beyond their magical-type weapons they must be somewhat supernatural in and of themselves. But the pale skin thing just seems to go with the coldness that they seem to bring with them. The Other in that pic you showed looks like something out of Planet of the Apes. Nothing really "other" to them. But the pic is kind of blurry so maybe I am not getting the full effect?

The series isn't done yet but I think the Others are going to be part of the ultimate showdown with Dani and Jon. I mean we were introduced to them right out of the gate. And they've been a menacing presence all through the series even though we've seen so little of them. So I really want them to to be "right", you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic View Post
I haven't followed this thread for so long I'm hopelessly behind. A 15 minutes episode? How many episodes in one show?
Not, fifteen minutes per epi. The first 15 minutes of the first epi. I imagine each episode would be about an hour long. Isn't that typical for HBO?

Old March 8th, 2011, 5:25 pm
Third Year

By the way, it hasn't been confirmed, but HBO Canada said that we would get 2 episodes on April 17th! This past week has been a good one for fans.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television