Old April 11th, 2011, 4:13 pm
First Year

Re: Electronic Readers

Here is the link with the information about JKR considering ebook formats

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...-potter-ebooks

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:51 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

^I agree with the quote in the article that said the HP books are "seven guaranteed top-selling ebooks just waiting to happen." I know I would buy all of them again (already have both hard cover and paper back sets as well as a UK set); I love the portability of my Kindle and it'd be wonderful to have all 7 HPs in that light, easy to hold format. That being said, it does not really seem like this will be happening any time soon.

Old April 12th, 2011, 1:43 am
Seventh Year

Oh Harry Potter would definitely be a top-seller on Kindle. However I highly doubt that adds any favor in JKR deciding to convert to e-books. I'm not keeping my hopes up. I would definitely be a buyer though if this comes to fruition.

Old April 20th, 2011, 4:24 pm
First Year

Great news for Kindle owners!
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...kindle-books/1

Old April 24th, 2011, 4:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapespet View Post
Yeah! I'm excited about this. It will be great to be able to check out digital library books. This is particularly cool:
Amazon"We're doing a little something extra here," Jay Marine, Amazon's Kindle director, said in a statement. "Normally, making margin notes in library books is a big no-no. But we're extending our Whispersync technology so that you can highlight and add margin notes to Kindle books you check out from your local library.

Your notes will not show up when the next patron checks out the book. But if you check out the book again, or subsequently buy it, your notes will be there as you left them.

Old August 28th, 2011, 3:34 am
Registered Animagus

I bought a nook in January but I hardly use it.
My twin sis loves her kindle.

Old August 29th, 2011, 11:54 am
Second Year

Since a couple of weeks (almost a month now!) I own a Kindle and I absolutely love it. I never thought I'd say it because I was all "I want to hold a book in my hands and flip the pages myself!" but it's absolutely brilliant. I get quite a few galleys to review as well and now I can read them wherever I want instead of on my laptop.

Old August 30th, 2011, 4:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngbooks View Post
Since a couple of weeks (almost a month now!) I own a Kindle and I absolutely love it. I never thought I'd say it because I was all "I want to hold a book in my hands and flip the pages myself!" but it's absolutely brilliant.
Congrats! I was exactly the same--"I only like 'real' books." Then I got my kindle and was completely sold. I read so much faster on it, and my hands don't hurt from holding a heavy book. Plus I can carry around as many books as I want at a time and choose whatever I'm in the mood to read. I wouldn't be without it.

Old August 30th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Congrats! I was exactly the same--"I only like 'real' books." Then I got my kindle and was completely sold. I read so much faster on it, and my hands don't hurt from holding a heavy book. Plus I can carry around as many books as I want at a time and choose whatever I'm in the mood to read. I wouldn't be without it.
Haha I completely know how you two feel. I was an adament, "no I like books thank you very much!" girl until I got one for my birthday. Now my boyfriend says I'm married to my kindle haha.

Old August 31st, 2011, 5:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookshanks1177 View Post
Now my boyfriend says I'm married to my kindle haha.
Haha! I know! Yesterday at work, one of our students told me he hid the neighboring teacher's phone from her because she was always leaving it unattended on her desk and he wanted her to put it away. When I told her what he was doing she was like, "As long as it wasn't Kin!" (her pet name for her Kindle).

Old August 31st, 2011, 1:53 pm
Rocket Scientist

I dont own an ereader and for a while i really fought the idea, as i love to have a book in my hand, but many ya series have been offering ebook only exclusives which is a big pain when you dont own an ereader because then you have to sit at your computer and read and that hurts my eyes.

My question for those who have ereaders, is the difference between the brands just that, a personal preference to the options available or do certain ebooks only come on certain ereaders? I admit I dont know much about ereaders at all, but Im starting to consider getting one and was looking for some more information. If anyone knows a good site where you can compare ereaders that would also be helpful Thanks in advance. And I have to admit the sony ereeader offering all 7 harry potter books is quite enticing.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old September 1st, 2011, 2:49 pm
Third Year

As far as I can tell, once a publisher decides to offer their book(s) in e-reader format, all types of e-readers can obtain the book. Someone may know more on that. I'll just say that I've rarely not been able to find a book on Kindle, and when I wasn't able to find it, it was because the book wasn't available to any e-reader format.

So, yes. I think the differences are mainly personal preference.

Try cnet.com to compare e-readers. There's also a wikipedia page that lists the features of each type of e-reader and compares them all against each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_readers

Old September 1st, 2011, 4:49 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Kindle does not have native support fro epub and a myriad of other formats.

And after the Nineteen Eighty-Four debacle I wouldn't go near anything Amazon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle#Epub_support

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 2nd, 2011, 5:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaafeMJ View Post
I'll just say that I've rarely not been able to find a book on Kindle, and when I wasn't able to find it, it was because the book wasn't available to any e-reader format.
Kindle does have a huge catalog of titles beyond the free public domain titles. There are many things I love about my Kindle, but I think the thing that sold me was being able to have several Kindles on one account and share all the books purchased. For example, my mom and I are on the same Kindle account; when I buy a book, she gets it too for no additional fee and vice versa. I know a group of teachers at school who are all on the same Kindle account because they all have similar reading tastes.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 8:19 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Kindle does have a huge catalog of titles beyond the free public domain titles. There are many things I love about my Kindle, but I think the thing that sold me was being able to have several Kindles on one account and share all the books purchased. For example, my mom and I are on the same Kindle account; when I buy a book, she gets it too for no additional fee and vice versa. I know a group of teachers at school who are all on the same Kindle account because they all have similar reading tastes.
My co-workers and I do this as well. My boyfriend has the kindle application on his iphone so he has joined in as well. The thing with having mulitple kindles on an account is you have to be careful about the credit/debit card being used. We won't order books straight from the actual kindle anymore just incase one of the others were online purchasing stuff. We don't want to accidently use one another's credit cards. So we will go amazon and order our books from there that way we can more efficiently make sure it is our own card being charged for the purpose. In other words when doing this you have to trust the people that are on the account with you.

I don't know much about comparison of e-readers to be honest. I've went and looked at the Nook a while back out of curiosity. I didn't go over it long, but found myself more content with having my kindle. I think my screen is better. I've seen a Nook with buttons to turn pages, and I also saw one with a touch screen. I wouldn't want touch screen for an e-reader personally. The fingerprints on the screen would irritate me. Also I think the nook had applications such as various games. I can do that on my phone. So I'm fine with the kindle. I know nothing about the Sony E-reader or other brands.

And like said earlier, I think once the author opens up their books to e-books they are open to any e-reader. I haven't heard of authors selling their rights to specific e-reader companies yet.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 3:34 am

Quote:
And like said earlier, I think once the author opens up their books to e-books they are open to any e-reader. I haven't heard of authors selling their rights to specific e-reader companies yet.
And the articles I read about Pottermore said that the HP ebooks will be available for all ereaders.
Quote:
We won't order books straight from the actual kindle anymore just incase one of the others were online purchasing stuff. We don't want to accidently use one another's credit cards. So we will go amazon and order our books from there that way we can more efficiently make sure it is our own card being charged for the purpose. In other words when doing this you have to trust the people that are on the account with you.
You're absolutely right. That's why I declined to join my coworkers' group--I'm too much of a control freak. My coworkers actually just do it all through gift cards. They each apply their own gift cards to the account and keep track of how much they've used and how much they have left on their gift cards. That keeps everyone's credit card safe, I guess. I think it's more common for people in families to link up their Kindles.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 7:54 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
And the articles I read about Pottermore said that the HP ebooks will be available for all ereaders. You're absolutely right.
I'm excited!!!

Old October 24th, 2011, 1:54 am
First Year

any word on when the ereader books will be available? i have a nook, and hopefully all your info is correct and the books will be available on all ereaders!! ahh! i can't waitt!

Length: 12 1/4 in. Wood:Black Walnut
Core:Unicorn Flexibility:Hard
Old October 24th, 2011, 2:43 am
The Next Great Adventurer

The e-books were supposed to be available by the end of October but problems with Pottermore means the release has been put back to sometime in the first half of 2012 at the earliest.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...?newsfeed=true

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old October 24th, 2011, 3:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
The e-books were supposed to be available by the end of October but problems with Pottermore means the release has been put back to sometime in the first half of 2012 at the earliest.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...?newsfeed=true
That's disappointing, but I'm sure they don't want to sacrifice the quality. I've waited this long so I can wait a little longer.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction