Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Rereading.

Old September 26th, 2009, 12:44 pm
Third Year

Re: Rereading.

What do you think of rereading books?

I find rereading a good idea. When it's an interesting plot with fascinating characters, I am happy at the prospect of reliving the adventures again. Also, I have a tendency to pick up errors such as grammar, spelling and naming when reading a book for the ump-teenth time.

What books do you like rereading?

The books I reread most come from the series that I enjoy. HP is naturally one of them. I can't count how many times I've opened one of those books and took another turn through the pages. I also carry out this process with the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer. The books are captivating and written in a way that makes you never become sick of staring at the same batch of words. So, yes.

Have you ever changed your mind about a book after rereading?

Changed my mind, I have not. But, I have noticed several more details and am thereby able to have a broader understanding of the plot and people involved. Generally, (until I've overdosed), I shall only continues to like the book even more.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2009, 8:55 pm
Banned

Sometimes, when you reread a book, you find something that you missed before and your opinion of the book can also change upon rereading. I definitely like rereading books, though. Only certain ones that are worth it, like ones that capture your attention upon the first read and you just fly through it. Then, you have to read it again to really get the whole plot of it. At least, that's how it is for me at times.

Mainly just the Harry Potter series. That's the only series I've found worth the reread so far.

Yes, actually. I reread the Twilight series and that changed my whole opinion on the series. I thought it was amazing before, but then I got to really see the book and figured out my mistake.

Old September 26th, 2009, 9:13 pm
Gwen's Auntie

I enjoy rereading, but I don't do it very often. I have so many books that I haven't read yet, that I always feel a bit guilty, rereading instead of reading a new one There are some books i've tried to reread and just couldn't get into them like I did the first time.

The Harry Potter series, obviously Also, Little Women, The Giver...anything, really. If I enjoyed it once, I will read it again.
I have had a hard time rereading Can You Keep A Secret for some reason. I suppose I didn't wait long enough between reading and rereading, because I kept wanting to skip ahead to the funny parts I knew would be coming up

Several people have mentioned Twilight, and I had the same experience. When I first read Twilight, I liked it. I didn't think it was great, mind you, but i found it enjoyable, and I wanted to find out what happened. I read the first three books within a few weeks. I found them fairly pointless, cheesy, but not bad. Then upon my reread of Twilight, I realized I didn't like it. Instead of reading to find out the ending, I was really reading it and paying attention, and there was just so much stuff that bothered me, right from the beginning of the book. The more I read, the more I disliked the books, the characters, the author... I am normally a pack-rat, especially when it comes to books, and I keep everything. But I gave the Twilight books to my little sister, who, upon rereading, found them to be "kind of annoying".

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:33 pm
Sixth Year

* What do you think of rereading books?

I do reread a lot. It makes you see things you haven't noticed the first time. And it's absolutely necesary if you want to analyse the text.

* What books do you like rereading?

Mostly the books I liked when I read them first.

* Have you ever changed your mind about a book after rereading?

Yes, but that's quite exeptional. In general, I just noticed some details and understood some more things. Sometimes, I noticed defaults that lessened my admiration. I really changed my mind a couple of times, about books I'd tried to read when I was too young to understand, and liked them only after rereading, some years later - or about books I lked when very yound, and found boring after.

I believe there is a right time to read some books - if you read them in a wrong moment of your life, the magic doesn't work.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:48 pm
Second Year

INDEED!

It helps to understand better, to get details and probably get into the story more.

So far, all books I read

Defintely, yes.

The first time I read Chamber of Secrets it was different, now it´s at my top of favs books, I prefer it over HP 3; when I read HP 3 for the first time it was my favorite HP book, but now I have CoS too...
I am just waiting to finish all the serie and see if my order of favorites HP books will change...

I am right now reading a book I read in 1988, and definitely enjoying it more, and becoming a fan of the autor
HP Lovecraft

Old October 1st, 2009, 6:24 am
Second Year

I reread books a lot. I almost never read a book once. Even though I can remember almost everything from the book, I will turn right to the front cover after reaching the last page.
My dad is always confused by my habits. I am constantly trying to explain to him that, even though I already know the story, I read for the details.

Brought to you with help from the eternally awesome DarkLord7.

Future Ruler of the ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!!!! *Dramatic lightning*

I lost The Game.
Old October 5th, 2009, 1:19 am
First Year

I reread frequently. A lot of the times I find a book more enjoyable the second or third time, because the first time I read it I get ansty for the climax and my eyes skip over some parts that may be important.

Any books that I enjoyed. I reread the climax or end a lot of the time, (see reason above) but I also read over my favourite parts, to get a better feel for them. I've read many books twice and thrice, and enjoy them more each time.

Usually I just enjoy it a little more, because I uncover things I didnt' catch the first time. However, I've reread books I read for the first time a couple years ago, and think, "Why on earth did I like this?"

Old October 5th, 2009, 2:02 am
Registered Animagus

I reread a lot. If a book is good the first time, it is usually even better the second time. I get very invested in the characters, more so than the story, and it's always good to revisit old friends.

HP, of course. I just recently reread 6 & 7. I'm starting up a new year of my HP book club tomorrow, so I'll be reading SS again. I really never get tired of it.

I even like rereading mysteries for various reasons. Some of them I haven't read in a long time and I forget "whodunit" and others I really enjoy the characters.

I think as I get older, I have a different perspective on some books. I think the most notable was Wuthering Heights. I read it first at age 17, and was fascinated by the intensity of the feelings between Heathcliff and Cathy. Ten years later, I got very impatient with them and decided they could use a good dose of B-vitamins. Some time after that, I read it again and just enjoyed the book for what it was.

Old October 17th, 2009, 12:42 am
Knower of things

I'm a huge re-reader. Funnily I assumed that everyone was the same but infact it seems us rereaders are in the minority. There are some books - like the classics for instance that I love to reread every so often. Maybe it's the well loved characters or the comfort of knowing what happens but it doesn't ruin the books for me at all, if anything I think it's the sign of a well written book if the reader revisits it again.

Old October 17th, 2009, 2:12 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I am a huge rereader as well. People watch movies over and over again, what's wrong with reading a book over and over again? So what if I know what's going to happen? I find out new things and I enjoy getting wrapped up in a familiar story with familiar characters. Plus, if it's a book I bought I don't want it just sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old October 17th, 2009, 2:18 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I am a huge rereader as well. People watch movies over and over again, what's wrong with reading a book over and over again?
That was what I said to my friends when they asked why I would read a book I've read before. They still didn't get it.

Rereading is great because you always find new details you didn't see last time, or didn't remember.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old October 17th, 2009, 7:52 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I reread books all the time. Probably more than I should.

Mostly fiction; books that I've really connected with. I do dip into non-fiction books just to reread favourite chapters sometimes.

I'll appreciate certain aspects of it more, or perhaps understand a character's motives better. That's why I love rereading.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Last edited by Mad_Druid; October 17th, 2009 at 8:00 am.
Old October 17th, 2009, 9:31 am
Second Year

* What do you think of rereading books?

I think it's fine and it doesn't mean you have a bad memory. You could just enjoy the book. It's almost impossible to remember everything word for word anyways.
* What books do you like rereading?
The Harry Potter series, Dreamcatcher, Pet Sematary, The gashlycrumb Tinies.

* Have you ever changed your mind about a book after rereading?
Yes, either I came to realize a connection I hadn't seen previously or my thoughts about decisions characters made early on made me change my view abut the character.

Old October 17th, 2009, 3:14 pm
First Year

I usually reread books if I feel like to. Or if I want to check again for the other things I missed on my first read. I just ignore my mom whenever she complains that I'm reading a book that I already read before.

They're mostly fiction. Series, long novels, books like that.

Yes. It suddenly becomes my favorite book or I would think that it isn't that good as I've thought, or I would fully understand why these things happened, etc.

Old October 17th, 2009, 3:44 pm
Fourth Year

It's ok. I mean, if you have nothing else to do, you had no time to buy a new book and you liked the old one, it's the best thing to spend your time.

My fave ones. If I didn't like one book or if I was a little bored while reading it, I don't even think about reading it once more.

I suppose yes. There are some books which I used to like when I was younger(ever tho they were teenage literature) and when I reread them now I find out that they were not so good as I thought.

P.S.: I think the good books are the ones who deserve to be reread. If a book is well-written, the reader won't be bored to read it one more time. (e.g. Harry Potter! )

Old October 18th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Third Year

I do re-read. Sometimes, after a while, or several years, I forget what a book was about, so I re-read it.
Sometimes If I like a book very much I may re-read it all, or just re-read my favourite parts.
One book I read several times is The Perfume. When I was younger I used to re-read Sydney Sheldon's books all the time.
I re-read HP books several times. I haven´t re-read any of them in like 8-9 months.

Old October 18th, 2009, 7:50 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
I re-read HP books several times. I haven´t re-read any of them in like 8-9 months.
How dare you?! (Just kidding! )
I read one HP book about once or twice a month.

Old October 24th, 2009, 4:33 pm
Fourth Year

I can't do without it. I'm one of those people who races through on the first read to find out what happens, sometimes skipping entire paragraphs in eagerness to get to the end. So a second reading is pretty much mandatory. Sometimes if I've really enjoyed a book, I'll start the second reread immediately as soon as finish the first.

In any case I like buying books and owning my own copies and books are not meant to read once; most books I own are well-thumbed irrespective of how much I liked them.

I don't think there's even a single book that I haven't reread at least once. Apart from the HP series that I reread every year, I enjoy re-reading Agatha Christie because I never remember the end usually, P.G. Wodehouse because the books are so mood-lifting, but the record belongs to LotR.
The year I moved to my new house, I had my final school-leaving exams in two months so I packed up all my books in a box to be brought later, and the only book I had was LotR (Fellowship). I read that book about twenty-five times in those 2 months and every single time I came across some new detail that I hadn't picked up before!

Several times. Like people have said before, several books that I read when I was too young to appreciate them and didn't like before, changed for me when I reread them after a few years' gap, Gone With The Wind, The Odyssey and Catch-22 being notable examples.

But I have never liked a book at my first read, and then not liked it the second time.

Even Twilight, which most people bring up, I found annoying when I first read it, but the second time I found it a little more compelling. I don't love it, but I can see the draw.

Old January 10th, 2010, 5:49 pm
Third Year

I love it! I love being able to better understand things and catch things that you missed the first time through.

Anything besides mysteries or other really suspenseful books, because they aren't as fun once you know the ending - Harry Potter, of course, being the exception to that. The only books I can think of that I've read over and over are Harry Potter and Pride and Prejudice, as well as books from my childhood that I reread every once in a while. (P.S. Longer Letter Later springs to mind for that category - every time I see it on my shelf, I really want to read it.)

Not in any extreme way. My order of favorite Harry Potter books and favorite characters change every time I reread them, and I'm appreciating P&P more right now while reading it in class, but generally I love books that I reread and still love them after!

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old January 14th, 2010, 9:38 pm
First Year

I love to reread books. According to me, a book is not good if I do not enjoy rereading it!

I love to reread:
Harry Potter
Lord Of The Rings
Blue Bloods
The Outsiders

I, also, liked Twilight at first. The second time I thought that Edward was way overprotecting, Bella was a stubborn brat, they fell in love too soon, and that the writing was really bad.
The first time I read DH I didn't like it. I think I rushed through it too quickly the first time. I really love that book now.

^Made by leah49, thank you so much!

The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure.

Then Teach Me To See With My Ears, So I'll Find Out What True Beauty Really Is

My Regulus Black FanFic: It Doesn't Really Matter http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=123698

I've Been Sorted.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction