Fans of British television shows...

Old August 5th, 2009, 11:41 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Fans of British television shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbouthp View Post
Vicar of Dibley and Only Fools and Horses

I would defiantly recommend watching these... Very, very funny
Gawd I love that show . The characters all make me laugh. I just saw one of the old Christmas specials recently and it had me in stitches... even though whoever put the sound in with the episode didn't match the voices to the mouth movements worth a horse's rear end . So I ended up having to turn on Closed Captioning just to keep up with the dialogue .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Suteki da ne

I adore the Vicar of Dibley. Well, I think I adore anything with Dawn French in it

I watched a series once, it had Dawn French and Catherine Tate in it (and also the dude that plays Filch in HP). Wild West I think it was called. It was great

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 6th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Anyone here fans of A Touch of Frost and Inspector Morse? My mom and I are big fans of both shows and loved to watch them every so often on dvd.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:05 am
First Year

Argh! Why did BBC America not pick up the last season (or future seasons) of MI-5 / Spooks? I am/was a fan of that show!

P
r O x Y

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:23 am
Suteki da ne

FawkesFan- I love Frost, not the biggest fan of Morse though

Have you tried Lewis, the Morse spinoff?

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
FawkesFan- I love Frost, not the biggest fan of Morse though

Have you tried Lewis, the Morse spinoff?
Awesome... good to see another Frost fan here . Who's your favorite character on it, besides Frost ? I like Mullet somewhat ...

Ah... I loved the last ep of that show the best... it was so touching to see Lewis react in the way that he did after finding out that his mentor Morse had passed away... it was so sad ...

Yep I have and it's just funny to see how many of Morse's ideosycracies have snuck into Lewis's character . Especially his love of opera .

Old August 7th, 2009, 1:09 am
Suteki da ne

Well I love Kevin Whately anyway- he's in one of my all time favourite British shows- Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Timothy Spall (peter pettigrew) is in that too

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 7th, 2009, 1:16 am

Quote:
Well I love Kevin Whately anyway- he's in one of my all time favourite British shows- Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Timothy Spall (peter pettigrew) is in that too
Cool . Both my mom and I are fans of his too. He's a good actor. Awesome, I'll have to check that show out sometime.

Old August 7th, 2009, 1:28 am
Suteki da ne

Now, this might be a controversial thing to say, but if you ever watched the American Life on Mars, try the British one. It's a million times better. It makes more sense for starters.

Besides, our one has John Simm...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 7th, 2009, 2:40 am
Fifth Year

I love A Touch of Frost and I love Lewis better than Morse.
I enjoy most of those British Detective series.
Midsummer Murders, The Last Detective and Foyle's War are some of my favourites.
Has anyone seen Silent Witness or Wire in the Blood? They are very good as well.
I agree, that the British Life on Mars was better than the American version.
I love Dr Who, as well.
What about period dramas? I also love Heartbeat which was set in the 60s, and there was one I can't remember the name of, that was set in the 50s and was about a doctor and his family in a small village.
Edit - I just remembered it's called Born and Bred.
I also love Wild at Heart which is about a vet and his family in Africa.

Last edited by snugglepot; August 8th, 2009 at 12:18 am.
Old August 7th, 2009, 3:40 am
Suteki da ne

I don't like Midsomer Murders.

To me, every storyline is: someone moves to the village. murders happen. they find the killer. New people move into village. and the whole thing happens again.
Sorry- I just don't think it's plausable.

Wire in the Blood on the other hand, is fascinating. Robson Green gives the profiler's character something that I can't quite put my finger on...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 7th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
I love A Touch of Frost and I love Lewis better than Morse.
I enjoy most of those British Detective series.
Midsummer Murders, The Last Detective and Foyle's War are some of my favourites.
Has anyone seen Silent Witness or Wire in the Blood? They are very good as well.
I agree, that the British Life on Mars was better than the American version.
I love Dr Who, as well.
What about period dramas? I also love Heartbeat which was set in the 60s, and there was one I can't remember the name of, that was set in the 50s and was about a doctor and his family in a small village.
I also love Wild at Heart which is about a vet and his family in Africa.
Awesome another Frost fan -- who's your favorite character?

I like Midsummer Murders ok along with Foyle's War. I've seen some of Wire in the Blood. It's an interesting show... it reminds me of Law and Order and some of those other crime shows out there. And it has some pretty good writing as well.

Quote:
I don't like Midsomer Murders.

To me, every storyline is: someone moves to the village. murders happen. they find the killer. New people move into village. and the whole thing happens again.
Sorry- I just don't think it's plausable.

Wire in the Blood on the other hand, is fascinating. Robson Green gives the profiler's character something that I can't quite put my finger on...
Ah. I can see what you mean by that Schlualybub. It's not the most believable murder mystery show. It's mainly just an escape for me every now and then.

Old August 8th, 2009, 12:26 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Awesome another Frost fan -- who's your favorite character?

I like Midsummer Murders ok along with Foyle's War. I've seen some of Wire in the Blood. It's an interesting show... it reminds me of Law and Order and some of those other crime shows out there. And it has some pretty good writing as well.

Ah. I can see what you mean by that Schlualybub. It's not the most believable murder mystery show. It's mainly just an escape for me every now and then.
Frost is my favourite character, and I also like George. Mullet is good too, or should I call him Hornrimmed Harry?
A funny thing, though, I borrowed one of the books the series is based on, out of the Library, recently, and Frost does not come across as the likeable and sympathetic character he is on TV. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't like book Frost as well as TV Frost.
I also agree about Midsummer Murders, but it is escapist fun and the scenery around those villages is gorgeous.

I like American crime shows, too. My favourites are Cold Case and Law & Order SVU. Criminal Minds is the one that reminds me mostly of Wire in the Blood. Both are about profiling serial killers.

Old August 9th, 2009, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Frost is my favourite character, and I also like George. Mullet is good too, or should I call him Hornrimmed Harry?
A funny thing, though, I borrowed one of the books the series is based on, out of the Library, recently, and Frost does not come across as the likeable and sympathetic character he is on TV. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't like book Frost as well as TV Frost.
I also agree about Midsummer Murders, but it is escapist fun and the scenery around those villages is gorgeous.

I like American crime shows, too. My favourites are Cold Case and Law & Order SVU. Criminal Minds is the one that reminds me mostly of Wire in the Blood. Both are about profiling serial killers.
I love George too . He makes me laugh my butt off . Awesome, and I remember watching a documentary about the show and David Jason said that he made Frost a funnier and more likable character than he is in the books themselves.

Yep. And some escapism doesn't hurt .

Awesome, I love Cold Case myself too. Don't you just love how they use period film for each of the case's flashbacks? I think that it's pretty neat and ingenious. I've never seen another show like it.

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:33 pm
Fifth Year

Awesome, I love Cold Case myself too. Don't you just love how they use period film for each of the case's flashbacks? I think that it's pretty neat and ingenious. I've never seen another show like it.

The details in the flashbacks are awesome! The costumes, furniture, cars etc. And the music. I love that! Especially, at the end when the suspect is caught and they play a song from the time of the crime that fits the situation, perfectly. Oh and when someone sees the victim, that is so touching. I admit to having tears in my eyes sometimes at that.
It is a brilliant show. I admit, to prefering the older crimes, like from the 80s and earlier. The contrast between now and then is more pronounced with them.

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Coupling
I was taught by the woman who played Jeffrey's mother in Coupling, what a claim to fame that is! She also starred in the wonderfully named Fondue, Sex and Dinsoaurs, although I haven't actually seen that one!

QI is good, as are most stuff on Dave. I really like the IT Crowd as well, tried watching Garth Meranghi and Dean Learner too, and while they have some funny bits, they're mostly just weird!

Old August 10th, 2009, 8:20 am
Registered Animagus

Oh and Faulty Towers! How could I forget. Hilarious stuff

I also loved The Bill back way before it became a soap opera. Back in the days of Kerry, Smithy, Julian and whatever Dan Mcpherson's character's name was. Around the time Kerry died, that was it for me

Last edited by Hysteria; August 10th, 2009 at 8:22 am.
Old August 11th, 2009, 6:20 pm
Second Year

My fav shows are Only Fools & Horses, My Family (), Dr Who, Gimme Gimme Gimme, & Some Mother's Do Ave Em (i love frank spencer <3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9USvi173GE

Old August 11th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Quote:

The details in the flashbacks are awesome! The costumes, furniture, cars etc. And the music. I love that! Especially, at the end when the suspect is caught and they play a song from the time of the crime that fits the situation, perfectly. Oh and when someone sees the victim, that is so touching. I admit to having tears in my eyes sometimes at that.
It is a brilliant show. I admit, to prefering the older crimes, like from the 80s and earlier. The contrast between now and then is more pronounced with them.
Yea they are. The clothing people and all that do an excellent job on the show itself. They keep everything period from the music, all the way down to the clothes and stuff.

Same here for me. They do a really believable job in terms of that.

I do too -- especially to see the film from before then... definitely true there. So, so much difference. Even though it is funny to see ones where the crimes take place when I was a kid (80's -- 90's) -- I remember so much music wise and all that -- so it's rather scary .

Old August 11th, 2009, 11:57 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Yea they are. The clothing people and all that do an excellent job on the show itself. They keep everything period from the music, all the way down to the clothes and stuff.

Same here for me. They do a really believable job in terms of that.

I do too -- especially to see the film from before then... definitely true there. So, so much difference. Even though it is funny to see ones where the crimes take place when I was a kid (80's -- 90's) -- I remember so much music wise and all that -- so it's rather scary .
For me, it's the 60s and 70s that I remember, as a kid!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television