Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Deadliest Catch

Old June 10th, 2009, 4:52 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Deadliest Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Tonight's episode was definitley heart-pounding! I was blinking back tears when the crew of the Wizard came off deck. Scary stuff! Did you see the damage done to the steel pots? Amazing they all managed to hang on. I have never seen an eye as black as Soper's. Hope Monte's okay.
Takes a lot of power to do that much damage to 1" steel bar. Unbelievable. That black eye looked really bad. All we know at this point is about Monte's ribs. We didn't hear the final diagnosis on Soper's eye.

Keith was really shaken up, but he jumped right into action. I can't believe it took 20 hours to get to St. Paul's. Anything could have happened. Shows how tough these guys are.

Quote:
The Harris arguments always make me laugh, though. Jake always talks over Phil. And Phil was exactly right about Jake's lack of people skills. I don't think I had ever seen him act that way toward anyone but his brother before, but tonight he was totally riding Steve. Glad Phil called him on it. I was terrified, though when Jake's foot got caught in the line. Fast acting by Josh and the greenhorn, Ryan (he doesn't seem so green . . .)
I couldn't believe that Phil told the cameraman it didn't bother him to see Jake nearly pulled over the side. He said it had happened to him a hundred times. Happening to yourself is one thing, but watching it happen to your son should be different.

Quote:
New boat . . . meh. Would have rather spent more time with the boats we know, but maybe this boat will grow on me. Is it called the Interceptor or am I just confusing it with Pirates? An interesting bit of trivia about the new boat--a couple of seasons ago, Johnathan Hillstrand and the Time Bandit crew rescued a guy who had fallen over the side of another boat--they saved his life. He was hanging on the side of the stack (much like Edgar was in that other ep I referenced earlier) and a wave swept him overboard. Johnathan happened to see it and get into position to fish him out, saving the guy's life. That boat he was swept off of is this new boat that is on the show this season.
Yes, I remember Jonathan rescued that guy. Neither one of them could stand up afterward. So that was the Interceptor (I think that was her name, too)? The captain seemed super safety conscious last night, but maybe that was just about getting caught in the ice. Maybe having guys hang off the side of the stack doesn't bother him as much.

That was some wave that hit Northwestern, too. When the viewers voted on the part of the show they were most impressed by, it was the waves, all the way.

Did you see that starting next week they will be doing the recap show after? I really enjoyed that last season. I don't think Mike Rowe is hosting it this time, though. I didn't catch the guys name.

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2009, 7:29 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
All we know at this point is about Monte's ribs. We didn't hear the final diagnosis on Soper's eye.
I was worried about the huge bruise on Lynn's back, too. Right over his kidney . . . hope he's okay.
Quote:
I couldn't believe that Phil told the cameraman it didn't bother him to see Jake nearly pulled over the side. He said it had happened to him a hundred times. Happening to yourself is one thing, but watching it happen to your son should be different.
Totally agree. I was shocked to hear Phil say that, too.
Quote:
Did you see that starting next week they will be doing the recap show after? I really enjoyed that last season. I don't think Mike Rowe is hosting it this time, though. I didn't catch the guys name.
The host of Cash Cab is hosting After the Catch. He's not Mike Rowe, but I like him on Cash Cab. Wonder why Mike Rowe's not doing it.

Old June 12th, 2009, 4:29 am
Registered Animagus

I'm watching Tuesday's rerun now.

That other boat is the Incentive. Close enough.

Old June 12th, 2009, 4:31 am

Me too! Me too!

Ah, Incentive. I knew Interceptor was too Pirate-y.

Old June 17th, 2009, 7:51 am

So much to discuss this week.

The Time Bandit--I can't believe the entire experienced crew dropped the ball on the offload count. Even I knew someone should be recording the count just from watching the show! I have never seen Andy get mad before; he was pretty mad tonight. I wonder which deckhand will be fired at the end of the season. I didn't think it was very smart for Mike to keep going on and on when Jonathan was so angry. I know he wasn't saying anything bad, but I would've just kept my mouth shut.

The Wizard--Monte's out with broken ribs, but I'm so glad Lenny's back! I can't believe Soper has a shattered cheeck bone! And he's still working through it. The accident has really gotten into Keith's head. He was really ultra-careful when his crew was dropping their pots. I'm not sure it's a good thing to have a captain who has lost his confidence.

And Crosby just made me laugh when he said, "Yar! We be fishing today!"

The Northwestern--Sig is looking for his pots in that ice! I hope he doesn't lose any of his gear. And Sig and Edgar grumbling at each other--that's so them.

The Cornelia Marie--That ice Phil has to get through to offload his crab! That terrifies me. St. Paul Island often gets surrounded by ice like that. A couple of seasons ago, Johnathan had a terrifying time trying to get out of St. Paul harbor after offloading his crab. Even if Phil gets into the harbor, will he get frozen in there by the time they offload all that crab?

And the water leak! It seemed like the new mechanic caused that by poking around. Glad things are patched up okay. Hope it holds.

The Preview for next week!!! Is Sig having an asthma attack? That looked scary! And then they showed the coast guard chopper saying, "Cornelia Marie." Does Phil have to get airlifted off the boat??? I'm sure they're probably teasing us with the way they're cutting it together--like this week they made it look like Andy was going to fire Russell, but of course it didn't happen that way on the show at all.

Wow, I wrote a ton and I didn't even mention After the Catch. Next time.

Last edited by freelantzer; June 17th, 2009 at 9:32 am.
Old June 18th, 2009, 9:54 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
So much to discuss this week.

The Time Bandit--I can't believe the entire experienced crew dropped the ball on the offload count. Even I knew someone should be recording the count just from watching the show! I have never seen Andy get mad before; he was pretty mad tonight. I wonder which deckhand will be fired at the end of the season. I didn't think it was very smart for Mike to keep going on and on when Jonathan was so angry. I know he wasn't saying anything bad, but I would've just kept my mouth shut.
That whole thing bothered me. It's my boat, I'm the captain, I'm the boss, it's up to me or the deck boss to make sure that someone is watching the count before strolling off to the bar to hoist a few.

Quote:
The Wizard--Monte's out with broken ribs, but I'm so glad Lenny's back! I can't believe Soper has a shattered cheeck bone! And he's still working through it. The accident has really gotten into Keith's head. He was really ultra-careful when his crew was dropping their pots. I'm not sure it's a good thing to have a captain who has lost his confidence.
Poor Lenny. He just retires and there he is right back again. Yeah, Keith has definitely lost his confidence. He's lucky he didn't lose his little brother. It broke my heart when he was checking Monte and called him "mouse." I'll bet he hasn't called him that since they were kids.

Quote:
The Cornelia Marie--That ice Phil has to get through to offload his crab! That terrifies me. St. Paul Island often gets surrounded by ice like that. A couple of seasons ago, Johnathan had a terrifying time trying to get out of St. Paul harbor after offloading his crab. Even if Phil gets into the harbor, will he get frozen in there by the time they offload all that crab?
I remember when Jonathan nearly got stuck in the ice. Scary.

Quote:
The Preview for next week!!! Is Sig having an asthma attack? That looked scary! And then they showed the coast guard chopper saying, "Cornelia Marie." Does Phil have to get airlifted off the boat??? I'm sure they're probably teasing us with the way they're cutting it together--like this week they made it look like Andy was going to fire Russell, but of course it didn't happen that way on the show at all.
Sig's been talking about his breathing problems and chest pains. All these guys really drive themselves. I figure most of the captains have to be in their 50's and they pile a lot on those old bodies. Worse, smoking, gallons of caffeine, drinking heavily. They're all a walking heart attack.

Quote:
Wow, I wrote a ton and I didn't even mention After the Catch. Next time.
Didn't Mike or someone say that he got fired? He looks so different without his hood on.

Old June 20th, 2009, 7:14 am

Quote:
Didn't Mike or someone say that he got fired? He looks so different without his hood on.
Yeah, Mike looked really different. I think I like him better with his hood on...

They said that someone from the Time Bandit gets fired, but that we will have to watch the show to find out which one it is. They've been saying all season that they have to fire someone because they have too many deckhands. I kinda doubt it is Mike, since he is on After the Catch. Dunno. Just don't think he'd come back for that if he got fired.

And I hear what you're saying about them not making sure someone was doing the count. The captains just assumed it would get done without specifically assigning someone to do it. That's why they were really mad, but they couldn't get mad at one specific person--because they didn't make sure it was getting done, either. I guess with a crew that experienced, who have always taken the count before, you don't feel like you should have to micromanage them.

I thought it was really weird when they played the intro for After the Catch, and it was the same footage but a different song. It just seemed...wrong...not to have Dead or Alive there.

Old June 24th, 2009, 4:41 am
Registered Animagus

Whew ... what an episode.

Phil's gotta get himself another mechanic or replace those engines. I can't believe he went through four feet of ice to get back out. Did you see that harbor all iced in? What a sight that was.

Then there's Sig. Thinks he's having a heart attack, but what the heck, let's keep fishing.

Looks like Keith got a wake up call. He's actually showing some concern for his brother and knowing that his men are more important than the catch. I don't think he'll get so greedy again.

No Time Bandit tonight.

Watching After the Catch, and there's Captain Jack of the Katmai. He hasn't been able to go out fishing since. They brought the rescue helicopter pilot in the meet the Captain. Very emotional.

They're showing all the close calls. Every time that 10 lb. hook hits Edgar in the head, I jump. He didn't even ask for a bandaid.

Good show.

Old June 24th, 2009, 7:17 am

Great show.

I was so nervous for Phil and Sig in the ice. Nervous that Phil wouldn't get out of the harbor and nervous that Sig would lose all his gear. We'll have to wait until next week to find out what happens with Phil's gear. I agree about Phil's engines. It seems like with all the money he keeps putting into fixing them, he could have bought new ones by now . . . what a terrible spot to be in.
Quote:
Then there's Sig. Thinks he's having a heart attack, but what the heck, let's keep fishing.
I know! He didn't even let on to the crew that anything was wrong. Did you see last week's After the Catch where he talked about the same thing happening to him while he was driving. He called the doctor and they told him to pull over but he said he was only 10 minutes from home so he just kept driving. He only went to the doctor because his wife made him an appointment.
Quote:
Watching After the Catch, and there's Captain Jack of the Katmai. He hasn't been able to go out fishing since. They brought the rescue helicopter pilot in the meet the Captain. Very emotional.
That was very emotional; I was wiping tears away. Even Sig got choked up and couldn't comment on it. Just goes to show that while on the surface he's a hardnose, underneath he's a regular guy. Phil was also really great in that segment, making sure that the captain of the Katmai knew it wasn't his fault.

I also enjoyed seeing Murray on After the Catch. He said that he had not planned to go fishing at all during red crab season--he had plans to go home. But then Phil couldn't go on the boat, and Murray was suddenly captain. That must be why he went home for opies. And the way Phil, Josh, and Murray were tonight, it seems that they are just as close as ever. So I guess Murray just decided to take a break from fishing for a while.

Yep, overall, great show.

Old June 24th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Did you see last week's After the Catch where he talked about the same thing happening to him while he was driving. He called the doctor and they told him to pull over but he said he was only 10 minutes from home so he just kept driving. He only went to the doctor because his wife made him an appointment.
I missed that part, but I'm not surprised. I guess if you do what they do, you have to be very unemotional about your own mortality. They wouldn't get on a boat if they thought about it.

Quote:
That was very emotional; I was wiping tears away. Even Sig got choked up and couldn't comment on it. Just goes to show that while on the surface he's a hardnose, underneath he's a regular guy. Phil was also really great in that segment, making sure that the captain of the Katmai knew it wasn't his fault.
Yeah, Phil was surprising. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to offer support and comfort like that. Still very rough around the edges, but heartfelt.

Quote:
I also enjoyed seeing Murray on After the Catch. He said that he had not planned to go fishing at all during red crab season--he had plans to go home. But then Phil couldn't go on the boat, and Murray was suddenly captain. That must be why he went home for opies. And the way Phil, Josh, and Murray were tonight, it seems that they are just as close as ever. So I guess Murray just decided to take a break from fishing for a while.
That was good to know. I hope we see him again another season. The way things go, it's quite possible. Lenny retires at the end of king crab season, and a few weeks later, he's got to come back to help Keith with opies.

Old June 25th, 2009, 6:53 am

Quote:
Yeah, Phil was surprising. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to offer support and comfort like that. Still very rough around the edges, but heartfelt.
Yeah, I think his brush with his own mortality has really had an impact on him. Sig said as much on last week's After the Catch. He said he has known Phil for years and years and he is an entirely different man now.

Old July 1st, 2009, 4:07 am
Registered Animagus

Sig picked a heck of a day to quit smoking. Three hours.

My daughter called halfway through the show so I missed a lot. Is the greenhorn leaving Keith? When I got back, Keith was calling Monte.

Can you believe that Phil didn't know he had to back off the ice so he didn't blow a piston? How many years experience does he have?

Andy is definitely on the crab.

Gotta go. Watching After the Catch.

Old July 1st, 2009, 5:54 am

Quote:
Sig picked a heck of a day to quit smoking. Three hours
That whole segment was hilarious! He was soooo grouchy! And only three hours!
Quote:
Is the greenhorn leaving Keith? When I got back, Keith was calling Monte.
The greenhorn is staying. Keith called Monte to come back because Lenny is going back into retirement. He just agreed to help them out for the one trip. It was very touching when Keith talked about Lenny and what a great friend he is for coming out of retirement to help them.
Quote:
Can you believe that Phil didn't know he had to back off the ice so he didn't blow a piston? How many years experience does he have?
I know! He said in the last episode that he has been a captain since he was 21 years old. I'm shocked he didn't know that.

And what in the world is up with his "crab fart" theory? That sounded like a joke and then when they pulled the pots they acted like he was being serious about it.

Previews for next week--looks like a fight is brewing between Phil and Keith. They seemed okay on After the Catch; wonder how it will play out on the show.

And Keith goes on deck while Monte captains the boat. Am very interested to see how that plays out.

After the Catch--I thought it was interesting to hear them talking about taking huge waves with ice chunks as large as box cars! That had to have been some dramatic footage. Wonder if they will show it on the show.

Sig's fish cakes looked yummy.

Old July 1st, 2009, 7:47 am
Banned

Quote:
Sig picked a heck of a day to quit smoking. Three hours.
Well, he's gotta start somewhere. Maybe he'll try and quit for five hours next time.

I dunno why, but this show is pretty interesting. When you turn it on, you've just gotta watch it and I really like it.

Old July 1st, 2009, 1:16 pm
Registered Animagus

[quote=freelantzer;5344572]
Quote:
That whole segment was hilarious! He was soooo grouchy! And only three hours!
I've quit smoking many times, and three hours is not a lot to get through. I don't start getting grouchy until the third day. The problem is the patch. It affects some people that way. The first (and only) time I used it, I had horrendous nightmares all night. Woke up in the morning ready to kill. I grabbed my daughter and screamed ... give me a cigarette!! She knew right away I was on the patch and ripped it off my arm. I felt so much better.

Been smoke free for five years now and I did it without the patch.

Quote:
The greenhorn is staying. Keith called Monte to come back because Lenny is going back into retirement. He just agreed to help them out for the one trip. It was very touching when Keith talked about Lenny and what a great friend he is for coming out of retirement to help them.
Awww. So sorry I missed that.

Quote:
And what in the world is up with his "crab fart" theory? That sounded like a joke and then when they pulled the pots they acted like he was being serious about it.
Walrus pods and crab farts? That man has a serious superstition problem. So, tell me about the crab farts. Another thing I missed.

Quote:
Previews for next week--looks like a fight is brewing between Phil and Keith. They seemed okay on After the Catch; wonder how it will play out on the show.
Sig and Keith seem to have gotten over the bait thing, so I think they'll enjoy fighting for a while and then be friends again.

Quote:
And Keith goes on deck while Monte captains the boat. Am very interested to see how that plays out.
I can't wait to see that. Keith said it had been 15 years since he had worked the deck.

Quote:
After the Catch--I thought it was interesting to hear them talking about taking huge waves with ice chunks as large as box cars! That had to have been some dramatic footage. Wonder if they will show it on the show.
That would turn my hair white.

After the Catch was a lot of fun tonight. I loved the part where they showed the clips in different languages. Talking about the different style boats was really interesting. So was interviewing the kids and talking about how the show has changed their lives. And that woman that fainted when she recognized Jonathan? I might faint for Andy or Edgar, but definitely not Jonathan. Well, maybe if he did his little dance for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
Well, he's gotta start somewhere. Maybe he'll try and quit for five hours next time.
The man fishes on the Bering Sea in the dead of winter through 30 foot waves and 70 knot winds, and he can't face a few hours without a smoke.

Quote:
I dunno why, but this show is pretty interesting. When you turn it on, you've just gotta watch it and I really like it.
Yeah, we're hooked (no pun intended), too. It's scary and dramatic and funny and interesting.

Keep watching.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 6:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
Yay, PBG! Welcome to the thread! Come back and discuss next week's ep with us.
Quote:
I've quit smoking many times, and three hours is not a lot to get through. I don't start getting grouchy until the third day. The problem is the patch. It affects some people that way. The first (and only) time I used it, I had horrendous nightmares all night. Woke up in the morning ready to kill.
Wow, I never knew that about the patch. That's scary! My dad quit smoking for one day without the patch (before the patch was invented, actually) and he was soooo grouchy! That's awesome that you were able to quit.
Quote:
Walrus pods and crab farts? That man has a serious superstition problem. So, tell me about the crab farts. Another thing I missed.
It was actually Phil with the crab fart theory. He was moving his pots to a new location, and Josh was up in the wheel house with him. Phil was telling him that crabs are really gassy and fart a lot. He said when the sea is calm like that, you can see the tiny fart bubbles and smell crab farts. That's how you know where to set your pots. Josh was just laughing and laughing. They showed Phil outside smelling the air and talking about the smell of crab farts. All the guys on deck were smelling the air and laughing about crab farts. It seemed like a huge joke. But later, when they pulled their pots (full pots, btw) they acted like it was a serious theory.
Quote:
And that woman that fainted when she recognized Jonathan? I might faint for Andy or Edgar, but definitely not Jonathan. Well, maybe if he did his little dance for me.
I love Edgar, too, but my absolute favorite is Josh Harris. I know he kinda looks like a convict, but I still swoon over him because he's such a sweetheart--the way he looks after everyone on that boat, the way he took care of his dad and Murray when he was captaining.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 3:39 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
It was actually Phil with the crab fart theory. He was moving his pots to a new location, and Josh was up in the wheel house with him. Phil was telling him that crabs are really gassy and fart a lot. He said when the sea is calm like that, you can see the tiny fart bubbles and smell crab farts. That's how you know where to set your pots. Josh was just laughing and laughing. They showed Phil outside smelling the air and talking about the smell of crab farts. All the guys on deck were smelling the air and laughing about crab farts. It seemed like a huge joke. But later, when they pulled their pots (full pots, btw) they acted like it was a serious theory.
OMG, I'm going to have to catch the rerun. That's hysterical.

Quote:
I love Edgar, too, but my absolute favorite is Josh Harris. I know he kinda looks like a convict, but I still swoon over him because he's such a sweetheart--the way he looks after everyone on that boat, the way he took care of his dad and Murray when he was captaining.
I agree. Josh is a sweetheart. I don't think he looks like a convict at all. Maybe a little dangerous ...

Just saw Phil and the crab farts. Hilarious. He was so serious about it and Josh couldn't keep a straight face.

Old July 8th, 2009, 4:47 am
Registered Animagus

I missed it. I had recommended a book to a friend of mine, and she just finished it. She called me long distance to rave about the book, so I missed the show.

Old July 8th, 2009, 7:58 am

Oh, no! It was really good! And so was After the Catch. I don't know if I should post any comments...don't want to spoil you.

Old July 8th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Oh, no! It was really good! And so was After the Catch. I don't know if I should post any comments...don't want to spoil you.
Don't worry about spoiling me. I'll watch the rerun on Thursday anyway. Go ahead and post your comments.

I did see After the Catch, which was great. Tearing up over Edgar proposing to his wife again. Tux, red rose, ring.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television