Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Deadliest Catch

Old May 25th, 2009, 3:17 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Deadliest Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I know! I was so happy to see that! Hopefully he's really back and not just hanging out on board before they leave for opie season. Does Deadliest Catch try to trick us with their promos the way some other shows do?
I'm sure they do. If it isn't a trick, and if Phil is really back, I'm sure those boys of his will be so happy that they won't care how much he yells.

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 9:31 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I saw that promo again today and it shows Phil getting out of his truck while the announcer says, "A captain's return," and then Phil says to Jake, "If I can't haul my gear, you're gonna be lookin for a job." It could go either way. I'm kind of leaning toward Phil not actually going out to sea with them--just because of the truck shot. It sort of seems like he's just there to sort some things out.

The other part of the promo that intrigues me is the close up of someone's face--I can't tell who it is, but they show it right when the announcer says, "And mother nature shows no mercy." It looks like he has blood on his face and he's just staring off vacantly. Then it cuts to that shot that terrified me in the promos that aired just before the season began--the guy laying on top of the stack reaching for a guy hanging off the side of the stack with huge waves in the backgroud. And then Keith says, "Get off the stack now!"

I'm clearly way too obsessed with this show. Well, all my speculation will be answered tomorrow!

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:28 pm
Registered Animagus

I've been more listening than watching the promos. Sounds like tomorrow night is going to be pretty intense. I think I'll wait until then.

Old May 26th, 2009, 12:56 am

Ah, it won't be answered this week. This week is the end of red crab season. But the part with Phil was in a later section of the promo, which says something like, "This season on Deadliest Catch." We'll have to wait until opies to find out . . .

Old May 27th, 2009, 3:04 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Ah, it won't be answered this week. This week is the end of red crab season. But the part with Phil was in a later section of the promo, which says something like, "This season on Deadliest Catch." We'll have to wait until opies to find out . . .
So I see. It did look like at the end that Phil was back in the captain's chair for opie season.

After everything that Murray went through, did the Cornelia Maria come out on top? $54K for each deckhand? Here we've been feeling sorry for the guy, and he ended up on the crab. I got so upset when they dumped all that dead crab overboard. Just gave me the shudders.

Good episode.

Old May 27th, 2009, 5:42 am

This was a great episode! So much happened that it felt a lot longer than one hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
It did look like at the end that Phil was back in the captain's chair for opie season.
I saw that! Yay! It also sounded like maybe Jake had messed something up when Phil said, "If I can't haul my gear, you're gonna be looking for another job."
Quote:
After everything that Murray went through, did the Cornelia Maria come out on top? $54K for each deckhand? Here we've been feeling sorry for the guy, and he ended up on the crab.
I was wondering about that when they showed the totals. Some boats caught more crab and the crew got paid much less. It must have to do with the overhead of running the boat plus the price they get from the processor they contract with to sell their crab. The crew of the Corneila ended up doing well. But that was the longest season I've ever seen on the show. Freddie had a mohawk on the trip but a full head of hair when they delivered the crab. And with all their dead loss, they had to go out again to catch the rest of their quota. (Those dead crab were really upsetting to see. *shudder*)

But I do so love those Harris boys, especially Josh. He's always trying to take care of everyone.

I've never seen Sig at a loss to find the crab like that, resorting to radio fishing. It was cool to hear him speak Norweigen, though. And I don't recall ever seeing the crew of the Northwestern that beat down. Zombie-like, sure, but this episode showed a whole new level of that.

And it was hilarious to see the Hillstrands yucking it up in Baja! They are maybe the most fun-loving crew. They always make me laugh--Johnathan's gravelly laugh and crazy crab dance.

Keith was really kind to the greenhorn, Josh, giving him a compliment. And that was kind of sad to see Lenny retire, but I'm glad he'll be spending more time with his daughter. What nice things Keith said to him! Keith is so manic, I swear. Sometimes he's this really sensitive guy, talking to his kids or shedding a tear over a lost ship. And other times he's telling Monte, "I hate you. You're no longer my brother."

Yeah, overall, great episode. Tons of action. Can't wait for opies!

Old May 27th, 2009, 5:56 pm
Registered Animagus

For opie season I wear my parka and mukluks. All that ice ... (shiver)

Old May 29th, 2009, 3:57 am
Registered Animagus

Just watched the episode again. I was at Karaoke night at the Big Apple pizza, and two little boys murdered Dead or Alive. I was still inspired to watch it again.

It's so funny that the Hillstrand boys idea of relaxing after a tough season of fishing is to go out on a boat and fish.

Old June 5th, 2009, 2:38 pm
Registered Animagus

I missed the show on Tuesday, but caught the rerun last night.

Great episode. Good to see Phil back. What a shocker that Murray quit. They didn't give it much time. Just, Murray's leaving, here's the new guy, Murray gets in car to go to the airport to fly home.

Nothing from Phil like, gee, Murray we've been together so many years, can't believe you're leaving. Think they had a fallout?

Josh gets full shares this year. That's good news.

Some good fun, too. But ...

Talk about a cliffhanger with the Wizard. Guys up on the stack with a 30' wave about to hit, overloaded boat, 50 knot winds. Recipe for disaster. Couldn't sleep after that.

Old June 6th, 2009, 4:17 am

I finally got to watch this week's episode today. What a great ep! I wrote down some comments as I watched because so much was going on.

Jake's Johnathan impression-- I can't believe Jake stole the USA jacket! And those Hillstrands don't mess around with pranks. I wouldn't be surprised if they still had some prank coming for Jake. As for other events on the Northwestern--this was the first time that the herring tradition really disturbed me. I think it was the microwaving. I seriously couldn't watch. I was actually gagging just at the thought . . .

I'm so happy that Phil is back! But I was shocked that Murray is leaving ! And they just glossed over it! I don't think he had a falling out with any of the Harris'. Murray wasn't on the boat a couple of seasons ago. He came on the season before Phil got sick and the narrator said he was a longtime friend who had fished with them in the past. So I guess Murray maybe doesn't always fish year-round? Maybe he wants a break after the stress of running the boat? I wish they would have given more time to that.

What exactly is up with Jake Harris? Isn't he a full-share guy? I remember an episode a couple of seasons ago with Phil yelling at him for leaving deck while the others were still working. Phil said that he needed to act like a full-share guy and do the same job as the others. Jake agreed. So why is Jake now begrudging Josh a full share? Josh hustles just as much as every man in that crew, and he does all the jobs. I was actually a bit surprised that Josh had not received full share before. I just don't understand why Jake would be angry about it or want to keep his brother "lower" than himself.

Keith--why in the world is he carrying so many pots? On an engine that just stalled in port and especially under these icy conditions, with the ice pack so far South? And why not put the tarp on while in port? Why did they have to wait until they were in huge seas and winds??? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And I screamed, "NO!" when the episode ended there. That scary shot of the guy on the stack with a wall of water behind him that they have been showing since the season teasers--it was finally there . . . and we didn't get to see what happened!

Old June 6th, 2009, 5:13 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Damn it !,I really hate being a week behind all of you . I just saw the show for the end of Red Crab season with all the dead loss and the boys down south fishing for Marlin .So now I know what I will get to see this week Oh well I hope that Murry wasn't fired because he couldn't find the red crab?.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old June 6th, 2009, 5:18 am

Oh, no, Twins! You have to remember not to read the newest posts here . . . or maybe we should post in spoiler tags!

I did not get the impression that Murray was fired at all. I really don't think Phil would do that. I've seen him have some really tough seasons, too. I got the impression that Murray chose to go, but they didn't explain why at all.

Old June 6th, 2009, 1:04 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Jake's Johnathan impression-- I can't believe Jake stole the USA jacket! And those Hillstrands don't mess around with pranks. I wouldn't be surprised if they still had some prank coming for Jake.
Didn't they tape him up and give him a dunk in the water?

Quote:
As for other events on the Northwestern--this was the first time that the herring tradition really disturbed me. I think it was the microwaving. I seriously couldn't watch. I was actually gagging just at the thought . . .
I missed that. Must not have been paying attention. I did hear something about them having the new guy do it.

Quote:
I'm so happy that Phil is back! But I was shocked that Murray is leaving ! And they just glossed over it! I don't think he had a falling out with any of the Harris'. Murray wasn't on the boat a couple of seasons ago. He came on the season before Phil got sick and the narrator said he was a longtime friend who had fished with them in the past. So I guess Murray maybe doesn't always fish year-round? Maybe he wants a break after the stress of running the boat? I wish they would have given more time to that.
I really want to know, too. Maybe they'll post more about it on the website.

Quote:
What exactly is up with Jake Harris? Isn't he a full-share guy? I remember an episode a couple of seasons ago with Phil yelling at him for leaving deck while the others were still working. Phil said that he needed to act like a full-share guy and do the same job as the others. Jake agreed. So why is Jake now begrudging Josh a full share? Josh hustles just as much as every man in that crew, and he does all the jobs. I was actually a bit surprised that Josh had not received full share before. I just don't understand why Jake would be angry about it or want to keep his brother "lower" than himself.
Jake's been on the boat longer than Josh; I think two years. Jake should have been a full-share deckhand by now. I don't know why he isn't. From what Phil said, he's making Josh full-share because he's better at handling the men. Jake can be a little p***-ant. A lot.

Quote:
Keith--why in the world is he carrying so many pots? On an engine that just stalled in port and especially under these icy conditions, with the ice pack so far South? And why not put the tarp on while in port? Why did they have to wait until they were in huge seas and winds??? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And I screamed, "NO!" when the episode ended there. That scary shot of the guy on the stack with a wall of water behind him that they have been showing since the season teasers--it was finally there . . . and we didn't get to see what happened!
Keith got greedy. When the Katmai went down <shudder> he's the one that said every year someone doesn't come back. Doesn't he think it might be his boat or one of his crew, maybe even his brother? Sig is all about safety. Jonathan may be a maniac, but he doesn't take a lot of chances, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Damn it !,I really hate being a week behind all of you . I just saw the show for the end of Red Crab season with all the dead loss and the boys down south fishing for Marlin .So now I know what I will get to see this week Oh well I hope that Murry wasn't fired because he couldn't find the red crab?.
They made a big deal out of Murray not being on the crab, but in the end, even with the dead loss, he did better than the other boats.

Quote:
I did not get the impression that Murray was fired at all. I really don't think Phil would do that. I've seen him have some really tough seasons, too. I got the impression that Murray chose to go, but they didn't explain why at all.
Did you see last year when Mike Rowe talked to all the captains after each episode? All of them have something else they do off season. Murray probably does, too. Maybe whatever it is he just wants to do that and not put his life on the line anymore. He's no spring chicken, and he's not in that comfortable and relatively safe wheelhouse all the time. Remember last year when he had to crawl out on the crane and fix a hydraulic line? I think that was during opie season. Pretty dangerous stuff.

I'm hoping that's what it is.

Old June 6th, 2009, 9:00 pm
Seventh Year

That last episode was very good. Can't wait to see the next to find out what happened on the Wizard.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old June 7th, 2009, 2:26 am

Quote:
Didn't they tape him up and give him a dunk in the water?
Yes, they did. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Hillstrands were cooking up a more elaborate, planned out prank on Jake or the Northwestern.
Quote:
Jake's been on the boat longer than Josh; I think two years. Jake should have been a full-share deckhand by now. I don't know why he isn't. From what Phil said, he's making Josh full-share because he's better at handling the men. Jake can be a little p***-ant. A lot.
Yes, Jake seems to just nag for the sake of nagging, especially at Josh. Josh always seems much more cool and reasonable. But I could swear that Jake was already getting full share. In that episode I mentioned, Phil told Jake that he would take 1/2 a percent pay from him if he slacked again. To me that indicates that Jake was getting a full share. So I just don't get why he is angry that his brother is getting a full share now. Unless Josh earned it faster than Jake did. Jake always seems quick to criticize Josh and his work--and not because Josh actually does a bad job, but just to be a p***ant, like you said.
Quote:
Sig is all about safety. Jonathan may be a maniac, but he doesn't take a lot of chances, either.
Phil, too, is very concerned with safety. I just don't get Keith's arrogance in this instance. He does always seem outwardly upset by the losses of men each season. This decision was not very rational. But then again, Keith is not the most rational guy . . .
Quote:
Remember last year when he had to crawl out on the crane and fix a hydraulic line? I think that was during opie season. Pretty dangerous stuff.
Those kinds of things terrify me. They always show Edgar doing that sort of thing, too. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray was just taking some time to attend to things back home, like you said. Maybe he didn't want to discuss it on the show . . .

Old June 7th, 2009, 5:04 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Yes, they did. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Hillstrands were cooking up a more elaborate, planned out prank on Jake or the Northwestern.
Can anyone top the pick-up truck?

Quote:
Yes, Jake seems to just nag for the sake of nagging, especially at Josh. Josh always seems much more cool and reasonable. But I could swear that Jake was already getting full share. In that episode I mentioned, Phil told Jake that he would take 1/2 a percent pay from him if he slacked again. To me that indicates that Jake was getting a full share. So I just don't get why he is angry that his brother is getting a full share now. Unless Josh earned it faster than Jake did. Jake always seems quick to criticize Josh and his work--and not because Josh actually does a bad job, but just to be a p***ant, like you said.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember Phil commenting that Jake was making about $120K a year. That sounds like full-share to me.

Quote:
Those kinds of things terrify me. They always show Edgar doing that sort of thing, too. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray was just taking some time to attend to things back home, like you said. Maybe he didn't want to discuss it on the show . . .
Yeah, I'll never forget Edgar throwing himself over the side to grab the anchor chain and yelling, "Grab my feet." That one had my heart pounding so hard, I could barely breathe. What was it he said a couple of weeks ago? He was all over the stacks and said, "I forgot my life jacket, oh well."

Old June 8th, 2009, 5:23 am

Quote:
Yeah, I'll never forget Edgar throwing himself over the side to grab the anchor chain and yelling, "Grab my feet." That one had my heart pounding so hard, I could barely breathe. What was it he said a couple of weeks ago? He was all over the stacks and said, "I forgot my life jacket, oh well."
I know! That "grab my feet" thing . And I have also seen Edgar hanging off the side of the stack, with his feet on the bottom pot, holding on with only one hand, just hanging there completely over the water! I don't think he had a life jacket on then, either!

Old June 8th, 2009, 6:38 pm
Registered Animagus

I'm not sure my stomach can take tomorrow's episode. I'd better have my Tums handy. It's going to be a doozy. I'm already nervy with the little we know about what happened on the Wizard.

Old June 10th, 2009, 3:07 am
Registered Animagus

Unbelievable. Opie season is always bad, but this one beats them all and this is just the beginning.

Those two guys on the Wizard were lucky they didn't lose their eyes. Monte could have punctured a lung. At least Keith knew what to do in an emergency. I guess they all have to have basic first aid knowledge.

Did Jake, Josh and Phil notice that they were all taking at once and nobody was listening to what anyone else was saying? That was a trip.

New boat. Looks like state of the art. They're in the lead, but I can't see them beating the Time Bandit or Northwestern. We'll see.

Some heart-pounding episode, wasn't it.

Old June 10th, 2009, 8:46 am

Tonight's episode was definitley heart-pounding! I was blinking back tears when the crew of the Wizard came off deck. Scary stuff! Did you see the damage done to the steel pots? Amazing they all managed to hang on. I have never seen an eye as black as Soper's. Hope Monte's okay.

The Harris arguments always make me laugh, though. Jake always talks over Phil. And Phil was exactly right about Jake's lack of people skills. I don't think I had ever seen him act that way toward anyone but his brother before, but tonight he was totally riding Steve. Glad Phil called him on it. I was terrified, though when Jake's foot got caught in the line. Fast acting by Josh and the greenhorn, Ryan (he doesn't seem so green . . .)

New boat . . . meh. Would have rather spent more time with the boats we know, but maybe this boat will grow on me. Is it called the Interceptor or am I just confusing it with Pirates? An interesting bit of trivia about the new boat--a couple of seasons ago, Johnathan Hillstrand and the Time Bandit crew rescued a guy who had fallen over the side of another boat--they saved his life. He was hanging on the side of the stack (much like Edgar was in that other ep I referenced earlier) and a wave swept him overboard. Johnathan happened to see it and get into position to fish him out, saving the guy's life. That boat he was swept off of is this new boat that is on the show this season.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television