Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Deadliest Catch

Old April 5th, 2009, 11:01 pm
Registered Animagus

Deadliest Catch

Does anyone watch this series on The Discovery Channel? The new season is starting Tuesday night.

If you haven't watched it before, it's a reality show about crab fishermen on the Bering Sea. I have a whole new respect for the high cost of Alaskan King Crab after watching what these guys go through.

CORRECTION: The new season starts Tuesday, 4/14. I kind of got ahead of myself.

Last edited by Desraelda; April 6th, 2009 at 5:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2009, 3:19 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Re: Deadliest Catch

The Deadliest Catch is one of my favorite shows! I've watched it for several seasons now, and really cannot get enough--it's so compelling. I never cease to be amazed at the risks these fishermen take every single day on the job. So excited for the new season to begin!

So, Des, who's your favorite captain?

Old April 7th, 2009, 5:02 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
The Deadliest Catch is one of my favorite shows! I've watched it for several seasons now, and really cannot get enough--it's so compelling. I never cease to be amazed at the risks these fishermen take every single day on the job. So excited for the new season to begin!
Remember when the Northwestern lost its anchor? Edgar yells ... grab my feet ... and practically throws himself over the side. And I thought he was the sane one.

Quote:
So, Des, who's your favorite captain?
I have a hard time deciding. I think I like Andy Hillestrand the best. (Bet you thought I was going to say Sig) Remember when Johnathan fell off the dock at Halloween and landed in the water.

Seems like Andy and Edgar (except for throwing himself over the side) are the calmest. Sometimes, I expect Sig, Johnathan and Phil to start frothing at the mouth. Wait, I think I did see Sig do that once.

Really, I love them all. So, who's your favorite?

Looks like Phil will be back. I'm glad of that. The man is passing a blood clot through his heart, and he's chugging Red Bull and chain smoking. Hope those boys make him take better care of himself.

Two new boats; Lisa Marie and Trailblazer.

Do you watch the show with Mike Rowe afterward where he talks to the captains and crew? Did you see the one featuring the camera crews? Those guys are crazy, too.

I'm going to have to miss the DWTS results shows (sigh), but I can tape those. I'm not going to miss Deadliest Catch.

We love our reality shows, don't we.

Old April 7th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I have watched the show for a few years now . I just love the pranks like the Outhouse on the Crab line or the PU truck hulk prank . I'm glad that Phil is going to be ok that was a scary time .

Talk more later .

twins

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old April 8th, 2009, 1:11 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I have watched the show for a few years now . I just love the pranks like the Outhouse on the Crab line or the PU truck hulk prank .
Funny. Those guys live large and they play large.

Quote:
I'm glad that Phil is going to be ok that was a scary time .
twins
I hope Phil's not going against doctor's orders. I wouldn't put it past him. Jake and Josh were really scared. They know how to push the old man's buttons, but it's pretty obvious they love him.

Old April 8th, 2009, 6:37 am

One of the things that bugged me on the show was the muntiny by that one crew led by the boat owners son . That poor Capt. I bet he wanted to throw that s.o.b. overboard. They phoned the boat owner and convinced him that the Capt. couldn't find crab ,To me that is just wrong . I hope that doesn't happen again .

I like the way the Noobie/Greenhorns are treated the pranks on them are funny.

About Phil I think he had a true scare ,I don't think he would go out fishing again if it could cost him his life. That said I also believe that he will push it to the limit but not beyond . I wonder if the show has any say on if he goes out or not . I mean I don't think that the show wants any deaths amoung the Capts. or crews If there is a way to prevent it.

twins

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old April 8th, 2009, 7:17 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
One of the things that bugged me on the show was the muntiny by that one crew led by the boat owners son . That poor Capt. I bet he wanted to throw that s.o.b. overboard. They phoned the boat owner and convinced him that the Capt. couldn't find crab ,To me that is just wrong . I hope that doesn't happen again .
Yeah, that kid was just a spoiled brat. The captain had a lot of experience; definitely a lot more than the kid. The owner should have listened to his captain, and not his lazy, whiny son.

Quote:
I like the way the Noobie/Greenhorns are treated the pranks on them are funny.
Especially when they graduate from greenhorn to deckhand and get dunked in the Bering Sea. Brrr.

Quote:
About Phil I think he had a true scare ,I don't think he would go out fishing again if it could cost him his life. That said I also believe that he will push it to the limit but not beyond . I wonder if the show has any say on if he goes out or not . I mean I don't think that the show wants any deaths amoung the Capts. or crews If there is a way to prevent it.

twins
The producers could refuse to film the Cornelia Marie if Phil wasn't fit to captain the boat. Remember, it was the cameraman that saved him, and I don't think the producers want one of their guys to be in that position again.

Phil was very concerned as to what would happen to his boys if he couldn't go crabbing. They don't have enough experience to take over the business. They've got Murray, at least (I really like Murray).

We'll see next Tuesday.

Old April 10th, 2009, 1:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
Seems like Andy and Edgar (except for throwing himself over the side) are the calmest. Sometimes, I expect Sig, Johnathan and Phil to start frothing at the mouth. Wait, I think I did see Sig do that once.
I think my ultimate favorite is Edgar. He is so mellow but such a prankster at the same time. I love him! My favorite captain is probably Sig, but I really love all the captains, too. They're all totally crazy! Those Hillstrands crack me up, and I love watching the exchanges Phil has with his boys when they're driving him crazy. Glad he's going to be back.

The one captain I really kinda dislike is the one with the beard. His brother (who has also been a captain) works for him. I don't remember his name, but he is really grouchy and often totally rude to his brother and crew. That one time when he berated them for not giving it their all and one of his experienced, reliable crewmembers really took offense to it--I didn't blame him. That captain really makes me mad sometimes.
Quote:
I hope Phil's not going against doctor's orders. I wouldn't put it past him. Jake and Josh were really scared. They know how to push the old man's buttons, but it's pretty obvious they love him.
Seeing how the older son (Josh?) really looked after Phil made me totally love him. He does push his dad's buttons, but he's a great kid.
Quote:
One of the things that bugged me on the show was the muntiny by that one crew led by the boat owners son .
That kid was such a jerk! And apparently a spoiled brat. His dad will probably give him a boat to run someday even though the kid does nothing to earn it.

Old April 10th, 2009, 3:30 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
The one captain I really kinda dislike is the one with the beard. His brother (who has also been a captain) works for him. I don't remember his name, but he is really grouchy and often totally rude to his brother and crew. That one time when he berated them for not giving it their all and one of his experienced, reliable crewmembers really took offense to it--I didn't blame him. That captain really makes me mad sometimes.
That's Keith on The Wizard. I don't like him, either, and he is apparently coming back. I guess we have to have someone to dislike.

I love Edgar, too. I love when he throws out the flaming hook at the end of the season. Totally cool.

Old April 10th, 2009, 3:32 am

Quote:
I love when he throws out the flaming hook at the end of the season. Totally cool.
Yeah, that and biting the head off of the herring at the beginning of the season! Love Edgar!

Old April 10th, 2009, 3:38 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Yeah, that and biting the head off of the herring at the beginning of the season! Love Edgar!
See, Edgar used to be my favorite, and that's why he isn't anymore.

Andy won my heart when I found out he raises and trains horses off-season, because his daughter loves horses.

They've been running shows from 2005 on DSC. Gettin' antsy waiting for Tuesday.

Old April 10th, 2009, 3:42 am

You're not a fan of the herring thing? It is gross, but it's a frozen one from their bait so I think it's kinda funny. I just like all of their superstitions and the way he good-naturedly razzes the greenhorns.

I didn't know Andy raised horses. That's cool. I've been watching the repeats, too. They're going to have a marathon on Saturday and Sunday--at least that's what my DVR says.

Old April 10th, 2009, 2:58 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I didn't know Andy raised horses. That's cool. I've been watching the repeats, too. They're going to have a marathon on Saturday and Sunday--at least that's what my DVR says.
Nooooo, I'm going to be traveling Saturday and Sunday. Well, maybe I'll catch some of it on Sunday afternoon. What's Easter without a little frozen herring, after all.

Old April 15th, 2009, 3:10 am
Registered Animagus

What an opening! I've never seen them set off fireworks in the burn barrel. The stakes in the bet are pretty high, too.

Looks like most of them had to put major repairs into their boats.

Poor Phil, poor Josh & Jake. Jake especially was upset. I hope Phil will be doing some commentary.

Then we end up with Keith, broke, no crab, and then he gets slammed in the head by his ship. That's not a mild concussion he has. I hope he lets them take him back in for treatment.

Sig drew the short straw and had to bite the herring. Ick.

Good episode. Scary for Phil (who is still smoking) and Keith (who is still chewing tobacco), but still a good episode.

Old April 18th, 2009, 6:27 am

Fantastic opener! Is it just me, or are these seasons getting better and better as they go on? They have been replaying some previous seasons, and they are great, but not as engrossing as this opener or last season. Is it just because we've gotten to know and love the people more now? Or have the stakes really become higher?

I'm so sad for Phil and his sons. I hope he recovers and doesn't have to retire for good. I thought the part where they lost 3000 dollars of bait bags was classic--the "uh-oh" looks both Josh and Jake had on their faces when they couldn't find them. I love watching their interactions with their dad. I will really miss that from this season.

And Sig and the herring. Did Edgar fix that straw draw? Sig toughed it out--he didn't gag like Jake or Mike did in previous seasons.

What happened to Keith is really scary. And totally pointless. It didn't look like he even was able to fix what was wrong with the boat. I am anxious to see how he is in the next episode. And listening to him tell his wife about his test results brought a tear to my eye. He is a hothead, but sometimes you see another side to him, too.

Love this show!

Old April 18th, 2009, 8:53 am

I looked up the show on Google and I found out that Wikipedia has a huge page on the show full of lots of great info on the shows beginnings and all the seasons 1>5 .

Sadly I missed the first show, but I hope to see all the rest of them this season .

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/deadliest_catch

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old April 18th, 2009, 9:11 am

Yeah, I was looking at that wikipedia page this week, actually. Great info there. I hadn't realized that the Time Bandit was the chase boat in season 1. And I also didn't know that the change from derby style fishing to quota had basically eliminated over half of the fleet. Now I understand why the Sea Star is the new chase boat and is not fishing anymore.

Old April 20th, 2009, 2:34 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Fantastic opener! Is it just me, or are these seasons getting better and better as they go on? They have been replaying some previous seasons, and they are great, but not as engrossing as this opener or last season. Is it just because we've gotten to know and love the people more now? Or have the stakes really become higher?
Maybe because we know them so well, now, and we're invested in what happens. All I really know is that I was glued to the TV screen last Tuesday.

Quote:
I'm so sad for Phil and his sons. I hope he recovers and doesn't have to retire for good. I thought the part where they lost 3000 dollars of bait bags was classic--the "uh-oh" looks both Josh and Jake had on their faces when they couldn't find them. I love watching their interactions with their dad. I will really miss that from this season.
It's so funny how those boys handle Phil. He's all screaming and in their face, and they're patting him on the shoulder and saying, "Okay, Dad." Before you know it, he runs out of steam.

Quote:
And Sig and the herring. Did Edgar fix that straw draw? Sig toughed it out--he didn't gag like Jake or Mike did in previous seasons.
I wouldn't put it past Edgar.

Quote:
What happened to Keith is really scary. And totally pointless. It didn't look like he even was able to fix what was wrong with the boat. I am anxious to see how he is in the next episode. And listening to him tell his wife about his test results brought a tear to my eye. He is a hothead, but sometimes you see another side to him, too.
No, I don't think he got to fix the problem. The boat rolled just as he was about to fix it.

Quote:
I looked up the show on Google and I found out that Wikipedia has a huge page on the show full of lots of great info on the shows beginnings and all the seasons 1>5 .
Thanks. I'll have to check that out later.

Quote:
Sadly I missed the first show, but I hope to see all the rest of them this season .
I think they show full episodes on the website.

Quote:
Yeah, I was looking at that wikipedia page this week, actually. Great info there. I hadn't realized that the Time Bandit was the chase boat in season 1. And I also didn't know that the change from derby style fishing to quota had basically eliminated over half of the fleet. Now I understand why the Sea Star is the new chase boat and is not fishing anymore.
I remember Sig saying that at one time there were well over 200 boats in the fleet, maybe even close to 300, and now there were only 80. I didn't know that was the reason.

Isn't the Sea Star the boat with all the old guys? Don't remember. But they weren't as frantic about getting their quota as the others. I wondered what happened to them.

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:59 am

Quote:
Isn't the Sea Star the boat with all the old guys? Don't remember. But they weren't as frantic about getting their quota as the others. I wondered what happened to them.
Yeah, I remember the narrator referring to them as a crew of "ancient mariners." They were one of the smallest boats in the fleet. The wiki page said that the smaller boats had to shut down with this change to the quota system because their quotas weren't enough for them to afford the overhead to run the boat.

Only one more day to the new episode! Can't wait!

Old April 22nd, 2009, 3:38 am
Registered Animagus

I taped it and I'm watching it now. Unfortunately, the tape was bad. I'll have to remember to watch it next week at 8pm, or maybe The Discovery Channel posts full episodes.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television