Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Have you ever got really angry/offended at a book?

Old May 30th, 2009, 1:45 pm
Third Year

Re: Have you ever got really angry/offended at a book?

Have you guys heard of these books called "The Harry Potter series"? I feel like burning them?

I can't say I've actually gotten angry at a book. Usually, if it gets boring or something which doesn't sit right with me, I end up dropping it onto a charity box and getting a new one.

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2009, 8:09 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Aravind Adiga's Booker Winning 'The White Tiger' angers me. Every line of the book was a kick in the gut. What makes me angry is that the horrible things that the protagonist Balram Halwai goes through in this book, actually happen. At one point or the other to several people.

Halwai's story isn't as much the point of my anger, but of Adiga using Halwai to make his opinions about everything Indian, very clear. And no, he hasn't got a good word to say. There's not a thing that's positive about this book. It's steeped in sarcasm, it slams everything that India has accomplished. There's an 'other' side to everything good and nice, we know. And Adiga looks only at that horrible negative side. The book gives you no hope. Rather it tries to send your dreams of a better India shattering.
I read this before it won the Booker Prize, and I liked it because it was in a style I hadn't seen a lot of before. While I agree that it's very pessimistic and an outlet for Adiga to vent, at times, it did teach me quite a lot. So though I disagreed with a lot of it generally speaking, and some of the viewpoints contradict my own inherently, I guess I just accepted it as different, but worth reading. It's a book I'd probably not read again- but one that I do feel the better for reading, even when I disagree with it. The message of no hope, while again different to my own view, was an interesting one to read, and even outside of that, the style of writing and the flow of the prose kind of captured my imagination.

American Psycho offended me. But then again, I guess that most people who read it would be offended- and I think that's the point. Much like The White Tiger, I disagree with much of it, but I don't regret reading it at all. Books I disagree with present me with different views, and I always like a challenge! , so I won't stop reading a book- even if it offends me greatly.

THE DUCK.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:32 pm
Second Year

I got angry at 'The Clique'
just because the book sucks.

It does not do good to dwell on dreams, and forget to live.

'So, did you and Ginny do it?'
Old June 19th, 2009, 6:16 pm
First Year

I've gotten angry at the Twilight Series and The Host, because the underlying themes of those books are, frankly, just completely offensive.

Old June 27th, 2009, 8:55 am
Fourth Year

Gone With The Wind.

I read it when I was fourteen so maybe I was too young to appreciate it but I was really really offended by Scarlett O Hara. I thought she was unbelievably selfish and manipulative and was quite glad when Rhett walked out on her. It's been six years and I know it's really childish but I just can't abide the thought of reading it again

Old June 28th, 2009, 6:44 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I don't normally get truly offended by books. Either I like them, or I just forget them and move on.

I agree with those that say the Twilight series is offensive, but I also found a couple things in Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse very provoking. The way the main character interacts with others, the way he attains Enlightenment, and the way he deals with his son at best left me confused and at worst made me very angry. I spent most of the book wondering if this character was a sociopath.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me

Last edited by ignisia; June 28th, 2009 at 6:47 am.
Old June 28th, 2009, 6:13 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amivera View Post
I've gotten angry at the Twilight Series and The Host, because the underlying themes of those books are, frankly, just completely offensive.
So true....

I'm getting pretty offended by the Bible right now actually. I know i can't exactly blame it because it was written so long ago and the ideals were completely different back then, but so much of it is extremely degrading to women and people of other religions in general.

I got pretty mad at Romeo and Juliet too, or at least annoyed at how idiotic the characters were

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old June 28th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBuccalo View Post
This just happened to me! I read Oliver Twist and I was so angry about how Oliver was treated that I seriously cried. I loved the book though. I have a love/hate relationship with books like this that make me uncomfortable. The idea of treating a child that way just had me unbelievably upset, it tugged on my mommy heartstrings in a major way.
I am sorry to contradict you, but Oliver twist has a Morale, if you look hard enough for it

Old June 29th, 2009, 4:02 am
Second Year

Twilight- unbelievably sexist, promoting stalker behaviour as romantic, unhealthy relationships as desirable. I could go on. I picked up that book after hearing so many good things expecting to like it, so WOW, that was a surprise.

Plus the writing itself is just horrifying. I find the repetitive use of certain adjectives offensive.

Old July 26th, 2009, 7:09 pm
First Year

I used to like the Twilight series. I admitted to it being a good series, but I wasn't crazed over it. then, my best friend read it, and she turned into nothing short of a mindless zombie who has to entertain herself bby thinking about Twilight! You can't talk to her about anything without her getting a dazed look on her face. Then, if you happen to mention anything Twilight related, she snaps out of it and says, "Twilight?" It so annoying! I want to slap her! I hate Twilight now!

Tulio: I will give you the honor of a quick and painless death!
[Grabs tiny dagger, looks at it]
But not with that.

I am in Slytherin. Fear me.
Old July 26th, 2009, 7:17 pm
Third Year

What's the Host about?

A book I could not even read is called Anthem. I hated it so much that I couldn't even finish it.

Old July 27th, 2009, 4:12 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCane23049 View Post
What's the Host about?

A book I could not even read is called Anthem. I hated it so much that I couldn't even finish it.
By Ayn Rand, or Neal Stephenson?

Old July 27th, 2009, 5:19 am
Second Year

Like everyone else said, Twilight, or for me it was actually New Moon and Eclipse, made me cringe. Bella's character is everything that I stand against. She is obsessive over Edward who is UNREALISTICALLY perfect, and leads on Jacob. She is all around selfish, and her dependency on men is unhealthy. She is a 17 year old girl who goes out with a man who has been 17 forever. How does such a relationship work? Even if she is supposedly very mature.

Old July 27th, 2009, 5:25 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnitwit View Post
By Ayn Rand, or Neal Stephenson?
Ayn Rand

Old July 28th, 2009, 4:37 pm
First Year

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Whenever Susannah reverted to one of her other personalties and went on about "the chap," I became deeply annoyed and borderline angry at how much I disliked that persona.

The Wheel of Time made me angry around book 5-6 when the girls became part of a traveling circus which lasted around 300 pages. After that novel was finished, I stopped reading the WoT. Too many characters with a point-of-view that I disliked and who found themselves in incredibly boring positions.

Old August 8th, 2009, 3:08 am
First Year

Twilight series.
Obviously.

The whole point of that series is to say the girls are the inferior sex, and that they need to rely on men.
Bella was just pathetic. She pretty much depended on Edward for happiness, after breaking up she was sulking for.. what was it? 4? 5 months? Disgusting.
It also promotes abusive relationships. I found it really offensive that even though Edward would control her and even watch her sleep. (***??)

Also, to top it all off, it made me hide the fact that I'm a fan of vampire fiction -_-
VAMPIRES DONT SPARKLE!!

Old August 9th, 2009, 6:05 am
Second Year

Quote:
I agree with those that say the Twilight series is offensive, but I also found a couple things in Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse very provoking. The way the main character interacts with others, the way he attains Enlightenment, and the way he deals with his son at best left me confused and at worst made me very angry. I spent most of the book wondering if this character was a sociopath.
Oh, I remember that book! It wasn't a bad read, but it offended me a little bit because in order to reach 'nirvana', Siddartha hurt the many people who loved him -- his best friends, his parents, Kamala... etc. Seriously, it encourages us to each find our own enlightenment, but it also says that it's ok to completely abandon those you love and it's completely acceptable to just desert them for your own selfish desires.

Yeah, he did seem like a bit about the sociopath, when Siddartha was in a stage of living in material wealth, /learning/ from Kamala, how he described everybody as fake and as objects when he's in that gambling mode of his. XD

Still... it was a good book. I liked the part when Siddartha was listening to the river and he realizes that the river has voices of the past, a history. I loved the river's spiritual characterization--I felt so moved by it when I first read it. Beautiful.

Anyway...

The book that really annoyed me was Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs.

The official summary (taken from Amazon): Phoebe Castro is a distance runner who plans on winning a full-ride cross-country scholarship to USC with her two best friends. Then her mother returns from a family reunion abroad with a Greek fiancé who runs a private school and announces that she and Phoebe will be moving to an island in the Aegean. The news gets worse as the teen arrives to find out that there is no scheduled ferry service from the island. To top off everything, she learns that every other student is descended from one or more Greek gods. Her new stepfather tells her that she cannot share this fact with anyone, for the safety of everyone on Serfopoula. Things seem to be looking up when she meets an absolutely gorgeous guy while running on the beach and, despite her lack of divine ancestry, she is granted a provisional place on the cross-country team.

The only thing that annoyed me was the that author failed pathetically to describe the magical sensation of running--reading the book it's so obvious the author has obviously never actually did any competitive running on her own. I'm a cross-country runner, and it offended me to ends that she failed to describe the emotions, the sensations, the pain, the hate, and the sense of accomplishment. Not to mention the characters were completely flat and one-dimensional. The idea, though wasn't bad.

Two other books I really detested were The Opposite of Invisible and I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You.

Seriously, what is happening to teen literature these days? All of it is contrived, insipid, horribly-written, recycled ideas/situations.

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albino_Thestral View Post
I used to like the Twilight series. I admitted to it being a good series, but I wasn't crazed over it. then, my best friend read it, and she turned into nothing short of a mindless zombie who has to entertain herself bby thinking about Twilight! You can't talk to her about anything without her getting a dazed look on her face. Then, if you happen to mention anything Twilight related, she snaps out of it and says, "Twilight?" It so annoying! I want to slap her! I hate Twilight now!
Hahaha I have friends exactly like that! Sometimes I think the Twilight series is not good for people's health!

I could say 'I love you' - and I do. You're the only one I want - now and forever. The only future I want lies with you...
Take my heart with you. It follows you ... Always
I love a good romance, me

"...and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end."
Old August 19th, 2009, 3:33 pm
Sixth Year

Abe Kobo's Woman in the Dunes really offended me. I read it as an apology of unbearable social pressure and conventions, almost slavery.

(it's about a man imprisoned in a village in the dunes, in a kind of sand hole; he has to work in the sand to prevent it to bury the whole village. He lives there with a woman the village leaders give him as a company; he's expected to have children to continue the same neverending work. At the end, he has possibility to escape, but he doesn't. Seems he started to like his life as a sand worm. I found it absolutely hateful.)

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old August 19th, 2009, 6:09 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingie View Post
The only thing that annoyed me was the that author failed pathetically to describe the magical sensation of running--reading the book it's so obvious the author has obviously never actually did any competitive running on her own. I'm a cross-country runner, and it offended me to ends that she failed to describe the emotions, the sensations, the pain, the hate, and the sense of accomplishment.
Or the author's experiences of competitive running were different from your own. You enjoy cross-country running, from my experiences I can think of few things more mind-bendingly dull.

Quote:
Seriously, what is happening to teen literature these days? All of it is contrived, insipid, horribly-written, recycled ideas/situations.
Blame the consumers and their helicopter parents.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction