Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Have you ever got really angry/offended at a book?

Old January 5th, 2009, 9:16 pm
Rex's Mummy

Re: Have you ever got really angry/offended at a book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLongbottom View Post
When I read the Uglies series, each book made me more angry at the end, and each and every time when I finished one, I wanted to throw it across my room and hope it could actually feel my anger. I hate it when books don't end the way you want them too, or you can't keep reading on about the character to find out what happened to them.....
Oh, I completely agree with this!!! Those books did not end up the way I wanted at all!!! I really love the first one, although Shay does drive me up a wall, but I just got so angry by the last two. I really do like them still, but I hated how Tally became less and less independent all the time. She really ended up doing everything she did just to save a guy who I didn't really think deserved it. Did I mention I really don't like Shay? She's not annoying too much in the first book, but after that... I do recall wanting to throw Specials at a wall. And I never managed to get through Extras. That one irritated me way too much.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:01 am
Fifth Year

I'm the King of the Castle - we had to read it for GCSE English. I hated it. It's one of these "psychological studies"-style books, where the victim is an 11-year-old boy who's being psychologically bullied by this other 11-year-old boy, while his idiot-ovaltine-obsessed-mother thought he was being a little brat, to the point that he ends up drowning himself. It's soooooooooooooo depressing, and what I hate about it is that people seem to associate "depressing" with "realistic" which is . not . right.

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old January 6th, 2009, 11:37 am
Fourth Year

.. It's been said already.. (A lot) but Twilight really angers and offends me..
Specally the Bella character.. too whiny.. too dependent.. And young fans of the series like to think that they are Bella, and they're waiting for their Edward. It's so unrealistic.
... The fact that she can't be happy without a boyfriend is exceptionally offensive.. =p

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.
Old January 25th, 2009, 6:38 am
Hogwarts Graduate

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I do not have the words to describe how much I loathe that book.

Old February 14th, 2009, 7:53 pm
First Year

The only book that has ever made me feel intensely angry and severly offended was Oliver Twist. Now, I love Dickens dearly, but the blatant anti-Semetism and Jewish stereotyping of the character Fagin drove me insane. I couldn't finish the book, it was so frustrating to read...

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old February 14th, 2009, 8:05 pm
Fifth Year

I was so annoyed with Holden Caulfield that I couldn't enjoy Catcher in the Rye. And One Hundred Years of Solitude really upset me. I think more than any other book. The climax of that was when the father sent his corpse to his daughter in a trunk. Perhaps it only bothered me since I had recently lost my own father, but...:::shudder:::.

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old March 19th, 2009, 6:17 pm
First Year

I actually did throw a book across the room once. I can't remember what it was called or who wrote it,just that it was something I found on my aunt's bookshelf. The whole book was extremely offensive to me. It was about this man who worked as a limo driver and his clients were mostly celebrities. He was obsessed with this one actress and constantly wrote letters to her,very vulgar letters. I threw the book when he kidnapped the actress and told her she had to agree to be with him or he would kill them both,and to prove it he showed her what he had done to her dog,which I will not say here because I can't even bear to thnk about it. Suffice it to say I could not finish the book and never have.

I'm a big fan of both James Patterson and Stephen King but a couple of things in ther books have made me upset simply because they were sad or disturbing,such as a really graphic scene or a favorite character suffering a fate I didn't like.
I also had to stop reading Deathly Hallows for while after three parts;Ron leaving,Dobby's death and Snape's death. I was too shocked and in some cases crying too hard and had to take a moment

OK, I'm done ranting now

Old March 19th, 2009, 6:53 pm
First Year

Mmmm. The only book I've ever really hated is The Giver. Not only did it freak me out, but I had such a hard time coping with the whole idea of their society, how it was obviously horrible and brainwashing, and why no one did anything to stop it. I seriously cried my heart out, and then told my mom to put it where I'd never see it again. I was enraged at the heartless MURDER in the book, and especially how their whole society was like, everyone has a job, but they have to lie about what they do so that everyone else can live in peace. Everyone knows something, but never enough to realize the horror of their world.

*cough* In other books, I dislike the Eragon series immensly, but I do not hate them, because occasionally, there are some okay bits that even I have to say are pretty well done. The varden and Nasuada are done very well, but everything else is awful. Like, I really hate the elves for their shallowness, Eragon is an idiot, and Arya is....I will not say it here....
But I actually did throw the first book across the room when I got to the COMPLETE COPY of LoTR. Brom smoking smoke rings and making them fly all over the place. Sound familiar? I THINK SO. I threw that book I was so angry. No. One. Steals. Gandalf's. Smoke. Rings. EVER!

'Scuse me for ranting, I got a bit carried away...

Rue, even for ruth, here shortly shall be seen,
In the remembrance of a weeping queen.
~Gardener, Richard II.

Old March 21st, 2009, 2:47 am
Banned

While I was reading the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristen Cast, it kind of offended me. The books are very good and so is the overall writing, but basically, it was making Christians out to be these control freaks that are so mean and strict. Yes, I do actually know a few Christians who are like that, but that's just them. I continued to read them, though, and I was able to get passed that. Good thing my mother didn't see the books, though. She would have driven them straight back to the library.

Old April 15th, 2009, 10:02 am
Seventh Year

Catcher in the Rye.

The narrator was a most annoying, foul mouthed, bitter little punk. Everything and everyone was phony, which I believe was merely some sort of projection going on. The whole premise of catching kids in the rye fields was lame. If not for it was for class, I wouldn't have continued reading it after 20 or so pages. I tore that book several times, but kept it intact to show my complete and utter disdain for that book.

Old April 16th, 2009, 7:02 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
The other day I was looking in a book store for books for my Christmas wish list, and I found a book. Guess what it said on the back? Something like this: "This trilogy is better than both Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter." I got angry, I almost threw the book I read on across the store (not a good idea, it cost pretty much, and the people who worked there would probably throw me out), wrote down the title of the book, and walked out of the store and home with angry steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
Sorry, I forgot to tell the name of the trilogy/author... It is written by a Norwegian, Hans Fredrik Follestad, a debutant. The trilogy is called De Fire og Han Som Gjør Galt Verre (direct translation: The Four and He Who Does Wrong Worse), and the first book is named Begynnelsen (The Beginning), the second Fortsettelsen (The Continuation (I don't remember a better word for it right now, but you get the idea)), and the third and last Slutten (The End). It makes it very easy to remember the names of the books...

It is not translated to English (yet), but if it is as good as it said on the back of Begynnelsen ( see my last post), then maybe it will be in not too long.
I got them for Christmas, and have now read them. I have no reson to be angry at the books; they're actually quite good! I now realize it was the guy that say that I should be angry at (which I am not, he does't deserve it, it was only his opinion, and I respect it even if I do not agree). What he said was that the books are on a higher level than that of LotR the Hp books, which I do most definitely not agree with, but I do agree with him in one thing: Read. This. Trilogy. (If you have the opportunity, of course.) I will tell you if it's ever translated to English!

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old April 16th, 2009, 7:57 pm
Zonko's Employee

The only book I ever threw across the room was a GCSE science revision guide, and that's because it didn't tell me what I needed to know and I couldn't understand my own notes.

I do agree with what people have said about Twilight though, especially kuroi_shi, I dread to think that young girls would see Bella as a role model

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old April 16th, 2009, 8:08 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Neither really offended nor angered by Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination but I chucked it anyway. It was just bad writing.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 17th, 2009, 2:15 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Hmm... not really persay.

But I have stopped reading books that aren't written well or just bore me to death.

Any book by John Grisham, is an example . No offense meant to any fans -- but I never get drawn into his work.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old April 17th, 2009, 5:53 am
Second Year

What a question!
Well.....thinking about it you force me to answer "YEAH".

I usually get mad at the end of the R.L. Stine's Fear Street or Goosebumps series whenever the end it's not in favor of the hero.

Like in the Fear Street book: Missing.
When the principal character (name not remembered) and her brother discover a character named Roger is dead, I got really upset with that book!
I could not understand why the hell he was killed...specifically him!
The most ironic thing I lived with that book is that I thought Roger was the bad guy (you never know what will come out from R.L. Stine's factory) and then I discover he was just trying to protect those two kids!

I really went berserk....specially my best friend who gave me the book to understand why was she upset.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
Old April 17th, 2009, 5:58 am
Fifth Year

Twilight, as anyone who has seen my posts on the Twilight thread can attest to.
Someone mentioned the Uglies series...and I agree. I thought they were good reads, escept that ALL the endings were AWFUL. Ugh.

Old April 21st, 2009, 3:05 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_Pupil View Post
Yes, I stopped reading Ken Follet´s Pillars of the Earth
Because you didn't like it or because you were angry/offended?

I've read books that angered me, but I've never had a book make me so angry as to throw the book or never continue the book. I've never continued books I don't like, but never had one incite me to throw or ignore it.

And wow, there's a lot of hatred for Twilight here, eh? I've never read them but my girlfriend adores them, although that could be because of Robert Pattison (DIGGORY!) in the movie version.

Old April 21st, 2009, 3:26 pm
Sixth Year

I got very angry and even offended by The Da Vinci Code. I thought the author was taking his readers as stupid.

Old May 25th, 2009, 9:30 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Aravind Adiga's Booker Winning 'The White Tiger' angers me. Every line of the book was a kick in the gut. What makes me angry is that the horrible things that the protagonist Balram Halwai goes through in this book, actually happen. At one point or the other to several people.

Halwai's story isn't as much the point of my anger, but of Adiga using Halwai to make his opinions about everything Indian, very clear. And no, he hasn't got a good word to say. There's not a thing that's positive about this book. It's steeped in sarcasm, it slams everything that India has accomplished. There's an 'other' side to everything good and nice, we know. And Adiga looks only at that horrible negative side. The book gives you no hope. Rather it tries to send your dreams of a better India shattering.

So yeah, as I type this reply, just having finished the book( in a record two days), I'm a bit offended and very angry about the harshness and the fact that there is no scope for optimism or happiness in this book.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; May 25th, 2009 at 9:33 pm.
Old May 30th, 2009, 2:03 pm
First Year

I apologise to fans but I didn't much the following (popular) books:
Catcher in the rye
The Fountainhead
Jane Eyre

But I still finished reading them and liked some parts. However, there is one "saga" which tested my tolerance to a great degree and it is (drums roll) TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know! I know! You have heard it a million times already. and you probably know the reasons why- the controlling "perfect" boyfriend, the whiny-needy-suicidal-obsessed girlfriend, the total ignorance of grammar, the tacky use of "heavy" words, the............................................... ..

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction