Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Books you dislike, but everyone else likes

Old September 24th, 2008, 8:58 am
Fifth Year

Books you dislike, but everyone else likes

Inspired by DeathlyH's "Books you like but no one else has read" thread, I decided to open this one: Books you dislike, but everyone else likes. I apologize if there is a thread like this; merge at will, Moderators.

Anyway, have you ever finished a book revered by everyone (especially on Amazon.com!) but you found yourself somewhat unmoved or such, and confused as to what the fuss was all about. Don't worry, there is a protective Shield Charm over those who dare ( ) suggest that the His Dark Materials series has not bowled you over like so many other people; or you just didn't get Lord of the Rings or even (heaven forbid !) Harry Potter.

So of course, you get that feeling like you're on your own in the world, the sole living soul who somehow did not get bowled over like a bowling pin whopped by a particularly strongly flung bowling ball...and you wonder if there's anyone else out there in the world who did not like it.

But sometimes you might even feel that you didn't give it a chance and read it again...especially if you feel that you perhaps didn't open your mind enough, or just read it at a hectic, careening speed that would make any race car driver green with envy.

Some questions below:

1. What books do you dislike, but everyone else likes?

2. Why do you not like the book that everyone likes? What was your opinion on the book?

3. Can a hyped-up book/series actually nurture that rare breed that you are in not liking it?

4. Have you ever given a previously (or still) disliked book a second chance, lest you missed something or just read too fast to appreciate? Why/why not?

5. Do you feel it is worthwhile to give disliked books a second chance?

6. Are there any books you have disliked on the first read that you feel you might give a second chance to? Why/why not?

To answer my own questions:

1. Call me a heathen, but I wasn't as bowled over by His Dark Materials as I expected to be after reading all the rave reviews and general raves about the series. I read the first book, Northern Lights and there were some really good parts, I admit, but the final scene actually had me gagging on my crashed suspended disbelief. It was where:

Spoiler: show
What's-her-name and her daemon, Pan, literally walk up into the sky where there hangs an island or such. I can suspend my disbelief only this far!

2. I think I already answered for Dark Materials, but it was just the ending of Northern Lights that did it for me. It just seemed really pretentious, other than

the poor little boy's death in the character's arms. That had me in tears.

I just think that if the other two in the trilogy end in the same way, I'm not going to read them.

3. Yes, sometimes if it is really hyped up enough, people can get very high expectations of the book, expecting an epic read worthy of Remarque, or Homer or JKR herself. I'm not saying hype is bad; it's just that sometimes you can hype it so much that future readers could gain a high enough expectation from the book that may leave them disappointed.

Not that it happened to me all the time however. People hype up All Quiet on the Western Front all the time, but I think it is in a healthy way; so I decided to give it a try. Maybe it was a combination of it being not too overly hyped and Remarque's remarkable (no pun intended) writing, but I loved the book. It had me reaching for the tissues on a couple occasions.

4. Not in working memory, I haven't, actually. There have been one or two that I think I may have tried to, but put down well before finishing again and again, before deciding I'm probably not going to get through at all.

5. Well, it depends on the author and how you felt towards the text and/or characters. If you felt the characters offended you in some way, or the text was torture for your poor eyeballs, perhaps you may not find some redemption in attempting to slog through again (other than, perhaps, for writing a negative and reasoned out review )

6. Yes, a couple actually: Remembrance by Theresa Breslin and And in the Morning by something Wilson. Let's see if I can get through those two again.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2008, 3:50 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Books you dislike, but everyone else likes

2. Why do you not like the book that everyone likes? What was your opinion on the book?

The Da Vinci Code. Even if it wasn't one of the worse-reserached books in History (there are flaws that even I can notice, and I'm not precisely an expert in History), I still would find it dull, lack of rythm (either too quick or too slow) and so pedantic.

Eragon. I heard that Paolini wrote it at 15. I think that, had he waited till 30, the book would be much better. Have you ever heard a 15-years-old genius of music playing in a concert? The performance is excellent, but you feel there's something lacking there. The same happens to me with this book.

A Hundred Years of Solitude (100 Años de Soledad), by Gabriel García Márquez. This is one of the greatest books ever written in Spanish (if you ever g to Colombia, NEVER say you don't like it), but I've never managed it. I think it's something about the style of Latin American writers (I'm from Spain): I can appreciate their quality, but for some reason I can't like them. I don't connect with them or something...

4. Have you ever given a previously (or still) disliked book a second chance, lest you missed something or just read too fast to appreciate? Why/why not?

The Iliad. I acknowledged, at 17, that when I was very young when I first read and dropped it (13 years old! yes, I'm that nerd)

Moby Dick. I thought C'mon, you must have missed something! It's impossible it is really that boring.

Yes, especially if you were very one at the first reading. It worked for the Iliad... though not for Moby Dick; it was really that boring.

Old September 24th, 2008, 5:32 pm
I want to believe

Twilight. My friend pressured me to buy it, and I didn't resist too much because it sounded mildly interesting with the vampires and all. But I found it to be poorly written with poorly constructed characters, and almost no plot (and the action scene left something to be desired). I almost didn't finish the book (which I don't think I've ever done), but I gave in and finished it.

Though I can't recall ever giving a book I didn't like a second chance, I do think it's worthwhile to do so, especially if you read the book a very long time ago and perhaps didn't completely understand it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
A Hundred Years of Solitude (100 Años de Soledad), by Gabriel García Márquez. This is one of the greatest books ever written in Spanish (if you ever g to Colombia, NEVER say you don't like it), but I've never managed it. I think it's something about the style of Latin American writers (I'm from Spain): I can appreciate their quality, but for some reason I can't like them. I don't connect with them or something...
I read that, and didn't like it either (had to read it in high school).

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 24th, 2008, 6:01 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
What's-her-name and her daemon, Pan, literally walk up into the sky where there hangs an island or such. I can suspend my disbelief only this far!
The book is classified in the fantasy genre for a reason. It's funny that you can't suspend your disbelief for that but you can for all of the absurdities in the Potter books.

I'm not going to answer every question but I tried reading Fellowship of the Ring. I can't do it. As soon as I got to Tom Bombadill, I shut the book. The poems are outright annoying. And from what I've heard, there's more throughout the series. I can't deal with that because I loathe poetry.

Last edited by NumberEight; September 24th, 2008 at 6:11 pm.
Old September 24th, 2008, 7:28 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
The Da Vinci Code. Even if it wasn't one of the worse-reserached books in History (there are flaws that even I can notice, and I'm not precisely an expert in History), I still would find it dull, lack of rythm (either too quick or too slow) and so pedantic.
Highly agreeing on all points. I can see how the book actually is entertaining for some, but the same time I found the easy way of fiddling with history and arts a bit dangerous - but maybe that's more the flaw of the readers, who take it serious. For a novel (speak: fiction), it is a nice book I think and the historical references (names and places), however misdone, work as long as one is aware the action is made up.

Quote:
Eragon. I heard that Paolini wrote it at 15. I think that, had he waited till 30, the book would be much better. Have you ever heard a 15-years-old genius of music playing in a concert? The performance is excellent, but you feel there's something lacking there. The same happens to me with this book.
I agree - but somehow like it. I guess sometime we just react weird to books. I don't think it's good written or the story is very special but still I like reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Twilight. [...] But I found it to be poorly written with poorly constructed characters, and almost no plot (and the action scene left something to be desired). I almost didn't finish the book (which I don't think I've ever done), but I gave in and finished it.
Yo, that's my problem too. I read the first one and the half of the second one to see what is up with it since a quarter of my friends here online got completely addicted to the series, but it never worked for me. I'm still not unhappy I read a bit o fit - it's nice to know what's up to the hype and actually got me to learn somewhat more about the world we live in.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old September 24th, 2008, 8:08 pm
Qvack...

This is a tough question. I would also choose Twilight. I read them for posterity, they were in the bookstore,and they were reduced. I got used to them, but I don't particularly like them. If I'm asked to recommend a book, I'll recommend them because so many people worship them, but as time went on, they got to me. The first one was the best. After that I think things went downhill, at speed and without brakes. I still talk about them, and I do it nicely, but if were telling home truths, not so much a fan as more... a witness.

In that same category, I put Dan Browns Digital Fortress and Deception Point, neither of which provided me with anything of any use, sadly.

I also rather disliked anything written by Jodi Picoult. I just don't see the attraction of reading that same story twenty times over and over. Because that is, to my mind, what it is.

And, though she's Irish and I'm a firm believer in supporting my own, Celia Ahern is another one. Highly popular, apparently highly readable, but as chick lit goes, I struggled to make sense of the slapdash-ness of the entire body of work. I felt nothing, thought nothing, did nothing, after reading PS I love you. Therefore, I didn't read too much of the others.

The other series like this was the Mister Monday series by Garth Nix. I had expected so much of him and my dreams were rather squished into oblivion, sadly. I read the first three and then realised that it wasn't for me, and that it likely never would be.

I feel like such a moan now.

THE DUCK.

Old September 24th, 2008, 11:03 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
The book is classified in the fantasy genre for a reason. It's funny that you can't suspend your disbelief for that but you can for all of the absurdities in the Potter books.
Yes I realize it's in the fantasy section-I'm not that ignorant of its genre. I did like the rest of Northern Lights, but not the ending for some reason. I may move onto the next books sometime when I have finished reading the five or six other books queued up.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old September 24th, 2008, 11:18 pm
Secret Keeper

Ugh, at my age, everyone loves teen drama, which is basically like realistic fiction for teens set in usually high school or middle school from the point of view of a teen or an outside narrater and is the most pointless boring material ever. I don't even consider it literature, it's so brainless and people actually like that stuff!!!

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 25th, 2008, 2:02 am
do you want fries with that?

His Dark Materials, Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Da Vinci Code, Eragon. (That's all I can currently think of)

I really have never been into the whole fantasy genre, with the exception of Harry Potter. And the Da Vinci Code was just to poorly researched and I just didn't find it as exceptional as most people claim it to be.

3. Can a hyped-up book/series actually nurture that rare breed that you are in not liking it?

Actually, I think this is quite possible. I loved Harry Potter before everyone else was insanely interested in it. I'm not sure if this would be the case for all books though, as I don't think I'd be able to read most fantasy stories no matter how hype-free they were.

Yes, just because I was very young when I read the Lord of the Rings and His Dark Materials. Around 9-10ish. So I re-read them when I was older to see if maybe age and maturity aided in my liking of them. No success though.

Sure, you never know whether your tastes may have changed.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old September 25th, 2008, 2:03 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

1. What books do you dislike, but everyone else likes? The Secret Garden

2. Why do you not like the book that everyone likes? What was your opinion on the book? It's been a long time since I read the book so I can't remember exactly why I dislike it, but I do recall it being boring and not able to capture my attention very well.

3. Can a hyped-up book/series actually nurture that rare breed that you are in not liking it? Possibly...

4. Have you ever given a previously (or still) disliked book a second chance, lest you missed something or just read too fast to appreciate? Why/why not? Yes, and it's true that I have liked it after all.

5. Do you feel it is worthwhile to give disliked books a second chance? It depends why you dislike it. If you dislike it because it's badly written or constantly has you rolling your eyes, then another chance isn't going to change much. You might like something the second time around if you're older or you understand a certain topic better.

6. Are there any books you have disliked on the first read that you feel you might give a second chance to? Why/why not? I do want to read The Secret Garden again and see if I like it.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old September 25th, 2008, 2:55 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
And the Da Vinci Code was just to poorly researched and I just didn't find it as exceptional as most people claim it to be.
I don't know the first thing about that sort of history, but I'm curious as to why people say Da Vinci Code is poorly researched. On the DVD Dan Brown says he spent a year doing research and a year writing the book. Can anyone elaborate on why you think the book is poorly researched (I'm asking this as a personal curiosity, not as a challenge to anyone's statements)?

WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 25th, 2008, 3:38 am
do you want fries with that?

Quote:
I don't know the first thing about that sort of history, but I'm curious as to why people say Da Vinci Code is poorly researched. On the DVD Dan Brown says he spent a year doing research and a year writing the book. Can anyone elaborate on why you think the book is poorly researched (I'm asking this as a personal curiosity, not as a challenge to anyone's statements)?
Well I don't mean just necessarily the history aspects of it. His creation of Silas as a sharp-shooter with albinism that could drive in France, is totally inaccurate and not possible. To me if such a simple fact isn't portrayed accurately, then there are more mistakes to be found.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)

Last edited by gipro2003; September 25th, 2008 at 4:14 am.
Old September 25th, 2008, 4:08 am
First Year

TWILIGHT! Okay, I'm a HP fan through and through and everyone keeps bugging me to read it. Can someone PLEASE tell me what's so darn special about vampires and some girl?!

I tried to read it but couldn't even get into it after the second or third chapter and to me, that's a bad book. I'll stick to being a HP fan girl than some boring, annoying Twilight fan girl. (no offense)

Quote:
Twilight. My friend pressured me to buy it, and I didn't resist too much because it sounded mildly interesting with the vampires and all. But I found it to be poorly written with poorly constructed characters, and almost no plot (and the action scene left something to be desired). I almost didn't finish the book (which I don't think I've ever done), but I gave in and finished it.
AGREED!

Quote:
1. What books do you dislike, but everyone else likes? The Secret Garden

2. Why do you not like the book that everyone likes? What was your opinion on the book? It's been a long time since I read the book so I can't remember exactly why I dislike it, but I do recall it being boring and not able to capture my attention very well.
Agreed as well. I read the book once and then watched the movie on t.v. Honestly, for the first time, the movie was better. I looooved the movie, it was extremely good(including McGonagall/Maggie Smith as a Head Nurse.) and very beautiful, in my opinion. I thought the book was kind of boring, too much detail. The movie is actually one of my favourite movies.

Quote:
[...] The Da Vinci Code, Eragon.
Agreed. I couldn't get into Eragon at all, I read the whole book, and the Da Vinci was poorly written.

go 'claws!

Last edited by kathleen_hpffl; September 25th, 2008 at 4:17 am.
Old September 25th, 2008, 5:42 am
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

Quote:
Well, I enjoyed The DaVinci Code, simply for it's fast-paced action and controversial focal point, but my step-dad is a theology scholar and couldn't help but point out all the flaws in dates and historical events such as the Council of Nicea. I couldn't begin to tell you exactly what the details are that he told me were wrong, but I'm quite sure Brown took a lot of artistic license to make his story fit the way he wanted it to.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:27 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Twilight, The Da Vinci Code.

I read the first couple of books in the Twlilight series because I was hearing about them so much, but they were poorly written (IMO) and nothing ever happened in them!
I tried to read The Da Vinci Code but it was so badly written and I knew what happened at the end anyway

Definitely. I might not have actually disliked a book before, but I haven't been able to immerse myself in the world. I always try to give books a seconds chance .

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old September 25th, 2008, 11:39 am
Second Year

a) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
b) American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

a) I quite enjoyed Fellowship of the Ring, though didn't think it was anything special, but was bored all the way through The Two Towers. Finally finished it and started Return of the King, but gave up after about five pages because it was just more of the same. I don't really like fantasy anyway.
b) It just wasn't for me. Lots of excessive violence which I found quite hard to read, followed by boring passages where nothing happens. Yes, I get it, Ellis is highlighting the monotony of Patrick Bateman's existence, but in doing so he is boring me to tears. Highly disappointed with this as I had read a couple of Ellis's other books before this and loved them both.

No. Got far too many books on my to read pile to go back to something I didn't enjoy.

I guess so, but I'd much rather try something new than go back to something I didn't enjoy when I tried it before.

6. Are there any books you have disliked on the first read that you feel you might give a second chance to? Why/why not?

Perhaps Emma by Jane Austin, but I only got about five or six chapters into it, so I don't really see that as giving it a second chance as it hasn't really had a first chance yet!

Old September 25th, 2008, 2:04 pm
Fifth Year

great idea for a thread! Everyone loves a good whinge

I don't like the sci-fi/fantasy classic "Dune". And like some people above I think "100 years of solitude" is way overrated- in fact I've never actually met anyone who's admitted to liking so I don't know why it's his most famous novel (although Garcia Marquez's "Love in the time of cholera" is beautiful).

I loved the 1st chapter of Dune because it started with a really interesting premise, but then there was a severe lack of character development in the following chapters. I generally don't like books where you don't get to know the characters well (I don't care if I hate them- I just have to know them).

100 years of solitude was rambling and confusing and there was no real plot. Call me crazy, but I generally like a plot.

Well, yes and no. I will reread books I found confusing the first time- but only if I though they had some potential but I won't reread a book I though was rubbish- BUT- I have been known to read the following books in a series even though I hated the 1st one. When I finished Dune I declared to my friend (who liked the books) that I had absolutely no intention of reading any of the others- but read a 2nd one and it was rubbish too (I have a strange curse where I almost always have to finish a book).

Only if I was rather young when I first tried it. Or perhaps, if the book required some knowledge of a topic I was ignorant of the 1st time I tried to read it, but I have since gained the knowledge. But it's got to have something I did like about it the 1st time- if I hated everything I wouldn't bother.

No, partly because I'm stubborn and partly because there are so many other good books to read, why waste time on something you've already tried and not liked?

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.

Arthur C. Clarke (1917–2008)
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:46 pm
I want to believe

Thanks for the info, Caliope. I too don't recall the details (and I'm not a history scholar), so I'd never know it if something was off. I'm usually the person who picks out all the scientific impossibilities in books.

Regarding Dune, I can definitely see how some people wouldn't like it. I'm almost done with my second re-read of the series, and I think it's written in such a difficult style that it's easy to put it down and give up. And the characters are very ambiguous - sometimes you don't know who's good and who's bad.

WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:53 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
Twilight, The Da Vinci Code.

I read the first couple of books in the Twlilight series because I was hearing about them so much, but they were poorly written (IMO) and nothing ever happened in them!
I tried to read The Da Vinci Code but it was so badly written and I knew what happened at the end anyway

Definitely. I might not have actually disliked a book before, but I haven't been able to immerse myself in the world. I always try to give books a seconds chance .
About the whole "you knew what happened at the end" part, I know that for most books, most endings are completely obvious

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 26th, 2008, 12:59 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra Black View Post
And like some people above I think "100 years of solitude" is way overrated- in fact I've never actually met anyone who's admitted to liking so I don't know why it's his most famous novel (although Garcia Marquez's "Love in the time of cholera" is beautiful).
I read 100 Years of Solitude in college for a World Lit class. It was definitely unique. I think it's the sort of book that is actually improved by reading it for a classroom environment, because it forces you to get through it and look at the themes rather than primarily considering it's entertainment value. I wouldn't say I liked it, but I didn't hate it. It was just weird

The Great Gatsby, Wuthering Heights, most books by Dickens...

Books that are primarily driven by great characterization usually lose me pretty quickly. Gatsby is admittedly beautifully written, but I found the story itself completely uninteresting. Wuthering Heights was just too much--it's one of those books that you feel like you've been screamed at when you put it down. Dickens is just sooo dreary, with hardly any real joy to break up the misery. I like musicals so about the closest I get to loving Dickens is seeing Oliver!

4. Have you ever given a previously (or still) disliked book a second chance, lest you missed something or just read too fast to appreciate? Why/why not?Rarely, I reread Gatsby a year or so ago because I'd read it the first time when I was about 15. I did like it better, but not enough to change my opinion of the story. I rarely reread books I love, so the chances that I'd reread a book I hated without someone I really respected convincing me to are pretty slim.

I read somewhere, maybe 10 years ago, that before you turn 50 if you aren't at least mildly interested in a book within the first 50 pages it's probably not worth your time. Obviously this isn't a hard and fast rule, but I have too many books that I'd love to read to wade through books that I hate just to say that I finished them. If someone doesn't tell me something like 'it starts slow but it's really fantastic, stick with it' then I'll stick with my rule

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction