Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

How I met your mother



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old April 24th, 2010, 5:45 pm
Kanksha's Avatar
Kanksha  Female.gif Kanksha is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4846 days
Location: In my head
Age: 31
Posts: 645
Re: How I met your mother

I'm completely fed up of the three week long breaks between the episodes lately. I know this season hasn't really been up to par with the previous ones. I mean, I've enjoyed nearly all the episodes but I know there are many many many people saying this show is now boring, annoying and dead. I think that's overdoing it, sure it's not as awesome as the previous seasons but it's still quite enjoyable. With only two more episodes to go, I particularly have high hopes for the season finale, the finales have all been SUPERawesome so far! Fingers crossed

Also I for one, am very glad that the show's been renewed for a 6th season.


__________________
"What's past is prologue" - W. Shakespeare
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #82  
Old April 24th, 2010, 9:50 pm
merry18's Avatar
merry18  Female.gif merry18 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4864 days
Location: In front of the computer
Age: 28
Posts: 943
Re: How I met your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
I'm completely fed up of the three week long breaks between the episodes lately. I know this season hasn't really been up to par with the previous ones. I mean, I've enjoyed nearly all the episodes but I know there are many many many people saying this show is now boring, annoying and dead. I think that's overdoing it, sure it's not as awesome as the previous seasons but it's still quite enjoyable. With only two more episodes to go, I particularly have high hopes for the season finale, the finales have all been SUPERawesome so far! Fingers crossed

Also I for one, am very glad that the show's been renewed for a 6th season.
Ugh, it is SO annoying! I get all excited for a new episode and it's a repeat half the time.

And I also don't like this season as much as previous ones, but that's because Ted's character is really starting to bug me. He's been more of a jerk than a season than i would like. Like the episode with Lily's birthday and the date he brought and he was being a little [insert expletive of your choosing here] about Lily being mad he brought a date. And then it really bugged me when he won them over and they were like "oh, you're right Ted!" and I wanted to shake them and say no, Ted's a jerk!


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old April 25th, 2010, 3:27 am
featherfish81  Undisclosed.gif featherfish81 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4132 days
Posts: 280
Re: How I met your mother

Mostly, I like this show and I like Ted. But he does have his annoying moments. For instance, the way he kept making fun of that Chinese girl's name, even after he saw how much it upset her the first time.


Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old April 26th, 2010, 7:27 am
Kanksha's Avatar
Kanksha  Female.gif Kanksha is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4846 days
Location: In my head
Age: 31
Posts: 645
Re: How I met your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherfish81 View Post
Mostly, I like this show and I like Ted. But he does have his annoying moments. For instance, the way he kept making fun of that Chinese girl's name, even after he saw how much it upset her the first time.
Well yeah he does have some annoying moments like that one, and the 'Bang bang bangity bang' song, but on the whole I really like Ted. That's one of the reasons why I like this season less because almost everybody else has had more major storylines than him. He's sort of been an ensemble character during most of the episodes. I hope the last two episodes have more Ted!

Also merry18, I sort of bought Ted's reasoning in that episode. He was right in having taken a chance on Lily, back when even Marshall didn't know whether it would last or not . And sometimes it's alright to get girlfriends to meet your friends (although he does tend to go overboard ). It's hardly Ted's fault that most of them were so douchy


__________________
"What's past is prologue" - W. Shakespeare
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old May 4th, 2010, 8:17 am
Jessica's Avatar
Jessica  Female.gif Jessica is offline
Mouse
 
Joined: 5726 days
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Age: 44
Posts: 4,392
Re: How I met your mother

Not Robin! Why does Robin have to leave?


__________________
Everyone loves Bas Döse, me especially.
They're the best band in the world.
I love them even more than Snape and cats.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old May 4th, 2010, 4:24 pm
merry18's Avatar
merry18  Female.gif merry18 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4864 days
Location: In front of the computer
Age: 28
Posts: 943
Re: How I met your mother

I'm glad Robin's taking a break from the group. Not because I dislike her but because it seemed like the right course of action after Barney and Ted's (hilarious) drunken escapades.

I found Neil Patrick Harris in excellent form last night. I rewatched the Wasabi part like five times because it was just excruciatingly hilarious. Out of all the episodes this eason thus far, I think NPH should submit this one for the Emmys (which has sadly yet to reward him).


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:13 pm
Liselle's Avatar
Liselle  Female.gif Liselle is offline
Knower of things
 
Joined: 5650 days
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,565
Re: How I met your mother

Currently watching twin beds episode. This show cracks me up!


__________________
“Perhaps that is the secret. It is not what we do, so much as why we do it.”
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old May 6th, 2010, 6:53 am
SolarHeart  Male.gif SolarHeart is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3429 days
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Age: 27
Posts: 70
Re: How I met your mother

I doubt that Robin leaves the group. I don't know why, I just think the writers wouldn't write her out of it.

As others states, this season hasn't been up to par with previous seasons, overall. There have been some individual great episodes, but the general flow hasn't been as consistant. I'm hoping the finale will set the stage for a great 6th season.

Oh and I think I read somewhere that the creators have always envisioned this series as spanning 7 seasons. Don't know if that has any significace.


Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old May 6th, 2010, 1:03 pm
Kanksha's Avatar
Kanksha  Female.gif Kanksha is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4846 days
Location: In my head
Age: 31
Posts: 645
Re: How I met your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry18 View Post
I found Neil Patrick Harris in excellent form last night. I rewatched the Wasabi part like five times because it was just excruciatingly hilarious.
I agree. Some of his lines were just delivered so well. Such as the first time he tells Ted that he wants Robin back and Ted tells him he's acting like a kid who just wants a toy back because some other kid is playing with it. His line then ("But maybe I wasn't done playing with it yet. Maybe I just put it down 'cause I wanted to play with some other toy for a second") made me laugh so hard because the way he said it captured the spoilt 11 year old so perfectly.

Also when he and Ted freak themselves out by saying they want to get rid of Don literally.

And I'm not worried about Robin. She'll be back. I was waiting for something like this to happen anyway, it's the end of the season and it feels like nothing has happened all season so there had to be something drastic! Yay for no more breaks the rest of the season now!


__________________
"What's past is prologue" - W. Shakespeare
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old May 6th, 2010, 5:26 pm
merry18's Avatar
merry18  Female.gif merry18 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4864 days
Location: In front of the computer
Age: 28
Posts: 943
Re: How I met your mother

No more breaks in this season? YES!

Yeah, Robin will probably come back in the finale, first episode next season at the latest. Her departure was needed for her character development as well as Ted and Barney, but she'll be back for sure.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:35 pm
Kanksha's Avatar
Kanksha  Female.gif Kanksha is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4846 days
Location: In my head
Age: 31
Posts: 645
Re: How I met your mother

Loved the episode! I think this is one of the best of the season for me, preceded only by Jenkins!
Yay for both intellectual Ted and Mexican wrestler Ted and double yay for Robin back already


__________________
"What's past is prologue" - W. Shakespeare
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old May 11th, 2010, 4:46 pm
frank_KoG  Male.gif frank_KoG is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5018 days
Location: Roughhousin about
Age: 29
Posts: 261
Re: How I met your mother

I'm surprised Robin came back so soon and that there was little explanation why. This one was a lot less believable even when she went to Japan. Pretentious Ted was amusing when completely free considering we have seen that part of Ted in smaller doses before. Can't wait for Barney's doppelganger and Lily's 'last cigarette ever' as a result.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old May 11th, 2010, 6:32 pm
merry18's Avatar
merry18  Female.gif merry18 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4864 days
Location: In front of the computer
Age: 28
Posts: 943
Re: How I met your mother

Yeah, I didn't think Robin would be back so soon, and I also thought it would get a lot more time and explanation, since it was kind of a big deal when she left.

Petentious Ted was fun. My favorite scene was when they were all in the elevator with that one pretentious girl, when she said something pretentious and it showed all of them making faces and Ted smiling serenly. Ha!

Love the doppelgangers. My favorite is still Robin's. Not sure why, but it's just really funny seeing butch Robin hawking a loogie on the sidewalk. But I have a feeling Barney's will be legen - wait for it - dary.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:02 pm
Green_Arrow  Undisclosed.gif Green_Arrow is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3505 days
Location: Land of DC
Age: 33
Posts: 315
Re: How I met your mother

"Boobs?"
...
"No, but seriously, BOOBS?""


Quote:
But I have a feeling Barney's will be legen - wait for it - dary.
I reckon they might reveal him towards the end of the season!


__________________

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old October 28th, 2010, 6:40 pm
IenjoyAcidPops's Avatar
IenjoyAcidPops  Male.gif IenjoyAcidPops is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4039 days
Location: The Angry Dome
Age: 29
Posts: 1,728
Re: How I met your mother

My two favorite moments in the last episode ("Baby Talk"):

-Robin makes a remark about punching Ted in the throat, and then we cut to the next scene, which starts with her actually punching him in the throat.
-In the pilot, Lily takes off her jacket and reveals a handprint on her shirt, made with blue fingerpaint by one of her kindergarteners. In "Baby Talk," Marshall suggests naming their baby Rob, which makes Lily flash back to an incident where a boy (oh, let's say "Rob") went "honka honka" and pressed his hands to her chest, leaving a blue fingerpaint handprint. Now, if How I Met Your Mother didn't have a long, fantastic history of playing with chronology, and giving us awesome and unexpected callbacks, I might think that a coincidence, but no, they actually made a callback there, and a really funny one, to an incidental joke from the pilot five years ago.

I love this show.


__________________
Veronica Mars is smarter than me.
(And her movie is available now!)

Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 1:25 pm
Green_Arrow  Undisclosed.gif Green_Arrow is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3505 days
Location: Land of DC
Age: 33
Posts: 315
Re: How I met your mother

I have a theory about who the mother is.

It could be the "protesting" lady.


__________________

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old November 6th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4673 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 36
Posts: 6,435
Re: How I met your mother

This show has serious sexism issues. Just the latest episode: Ted putting a woman down for not knowing anything about architecture by referring to her looks; the SUPER creepy guy who gets an erection by just looking at a fully clothed woman (I mean, it doesn't get any creepier than that!); Barney calling the supposed sexual encounter b/w him and Robin a "meal" for the creepy guy; once again inserting a "walk of shame" theme into an episode, and of course all the participants are women (=slut shaming). Previous episode: Lily and Marshall engaging in full fledged gender stereotyping with regards to children (boys are more difficult to handle, girls need to have their virginity protected); Robin's co-anchor appealing to men because she acts like a child (although that one was remedied when Barney told Robin it's a compliment that she is not helpless and in need of protection); the start of the instant-erection idiocy (I just can't believe they thought it was such a great idea that they carried it over to the next episode, too! It's distasteful at best, and if you ask me, all kinds of creepy); Ted lying to a woman in order to go out with her and pretending to share her interests, and being shown to have done that numerous times before - and that's our protagonist.


Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old November 6th, 2010, 7:42 pm
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 4907 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,036
Re: How I met your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
This show has serious sexism issues. Just the latest episode: Ted putting a woman down for not knowing anything about architecture by referring to her looks; the SUPER creepy guy who gets an erection by just looking at a fully clothed woman (I mean, it doesn't get any creepier than that!); Barney calling the supposed sexual encounter b/w him and Robin a "meal" for the creepy guy; once again inserting a "walk of shame" theme into an episode, and of course all the participants are women (=slut shaming). Previous episode: Lily and Marshall engaging in full fledged gender stereotyping with regards to children (boys are more difficult to handle, girls need to have their virginity protected); Robin's co-anchor appealing to men because she acts like a child (although that one was remedied when Barney told Robin it's a compliment that she is not helpless and in need of protection); the start of the instant-erection idiocy (I just can't believe they thought it was such a great idea that they carried it over to the next episode, too! It's distasteful at best, and if you ask me, all kinds of creepy); Ted lying to a woman in order to go out with her and pretending to share her interests, and being shown to have done that numerous times before - and that's our protagonist.
I stopped watching because of all this a while ago. Back in the days, Robin was awesome and they approached gender stereotyping with irony and subversion. Now it's all a big ball of suck.


Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:09 am
Green_Arrow  Undisclosed.gif Green_Arrow is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3505 days
Location: Land of DC
Age: 33
Posts: 315
Re: How I met your mother

All those are valid points, but it doesn't make me love this show any less. And just for the record, it doesn't make a d-bag for enjoying the show, and I know many female friends who are equally as crazy about the show without taking the degradation aspect of it seriously.


__________________

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:27 pm
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4673 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 36
Posts: 6,435
Re: How I met your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Arrow View Post
All those are valid points, but it doesn't make me love this show any less. And just for the record, it doesn't make a d-bag for enjoying the show, and I know many female friends who are equally as crazy about the show without taking the degradation aspect of it seriously.
In all honesty, I think that's sad.


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:31 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.