Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Old August 11th, 2010, 7:08 am
Fifth Year

Re: The X-Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Another one I saw (twice -- once on Sci Fi and once on DVD)...

Space -- 6/10

This one is interesting... in the fact that it doesn't make the most sense at times . It's not as bad as I thought it would be... but it still isn't that good. One good thing that came out of it -- was the development of their (Mulder and Scully's) banter. It's starting to get good in this episode.

As for the acting, it was for the most part ok. But I can see why Chris doesn't like it... . A whole lot of effects and such... and not the best plot line.
That episode just confuses me. For a second I thought you were talking about Jose Chung's "From Outer Space" because that episode is also confusing (albeit in a completely dfferent way ).

I did not know about any marathon

Last edited by MistressofRaven; August 11th, 2010 at 7:11 am.
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2010, 7:40 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I saw the nice little marathon that Sci fi had on awhile back... but I didn't get a chance to review the part I did see...

Syzgy (sp?) -- 8/10

This episode made me laugh in parts... truly random is all I can say here. The plot is pretty decent, with the moon affecting people in different ways (not going to say anything more about it though -- since I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone who hasn't seen this episode).

The acting is pretty good from everyone and the pacing is nice too.

Another one I saw (twice -- once on Sci Fi and once on DVD)...

Space -- 6/10

This one is interesting... in the fact that it doesn't make the most sense at times . It's not as bad as I thought it would be... but it still isn't that good. One good thing that came out of it -- was the development of their (Mulder and Scully's) banter. It's starting to get good in this episode.

As for the acting, it was for the most part ok. But I can see why Chris doesn't like it... . A whole lot of effects and such... and not the best plot line.
Syzgy - I enjoyed it because I find Scully and Mulder's behavior funny 'Sure. Fine. Whatever.'

I also recently watched Space, and as for quality, I read somewhere that this episode was rated probably the worst XF episode out there When I watched it, I could see why - apparently they weren't sure where they we going with the plot

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:08 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressofRaven View Post
That episode just confuses me. For a second I thought you were talking about Jose Chung's "From Outer Space" because that episode is also confusing (albeit in a completely dfferent way ).

I did not know about any marathon
Yea I know... me too . I don't think that Chris knew what he was doing with that one.

Sorry about that -- those two eps do have similar titles, don't they ...

I only found out by flipping to Sci Fi one day. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known about it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Syzgy - I enjoyed it because I find Scully and Mulder's behavior funny 'Sure. Fine. Whatever.'

I also recently watched Space, and as for quality, I read somewhere that this episode was rated probably the worst XF episode out there When I watched it, I could see why - apparently they weren't sure where they we going with the plot
Same here . Their behavior was just priceless.

Agreed -- with only the 'killer kitties' ep being worse. Haven't seen that one yet to judge it though... so here's to me surviving through it ... As for the plot... agreed there .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 1:42 am
Sixth Year

I just started rewatching the 1st season again, and last night, I watched 'The Jersey Devil' and I just realized how terrible all those outfits were that poor Gillian had to endure. This one is my favorite...

Is it Christmas??

I've also noticed a lot of turquoise and bright red.... Sorry, couldn't resist

And I'm sure I could dig up a few more of these gems....

Old August 23rd, 2010, 6:07 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Poor Scully. Those first few seasons were rough in the wardrobe department.

IIRC, Gillian wanted her to look that way and then later regretted the decision. Anyone remember this as well?

Old August 23rd, 2010, 6:31 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post

IIRC, Gillian wanted her to look that way and then later regretted the decision. Anyone remember this as well?
Yes. I watched an interview with her and DD (it was only a year or 2 ago) and Gillian said something about her and other people not paying enough attention to her wardrobe and remember's 'too much turquoise' and David called it a 'pant suit'

Actually, here's the interview, I think: 2008 interview

On another note, I just watched 'Ice' again, and I would have to say it's one of my, if not top, favorite 'monster-of-the-week' episodes. Probably because it's the episode I first think of when I remember watching the series for the first time

Oh, nostalgia....

Old August 23rd, 2010, 6:33 am
MODLY CREW

N'awwww, I always thought she looked adorable. I love how she's still so tiny compared to Mulder, even though she's wearing heels.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
N'awwww, I always thought she looked adorable. I love how she's still so tiny compared to Mulder, even though she's wearing heels.
Me too . She's so tiny compared to him.

Speaking of which... I just saw Teso Dos Bichos...

My review of it...

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only lame part was the fake cat attacking Scully ... The whole 'attack of the killer kitties' thing is like something out of a BAD 1950's horror movie... VERY cheesy. I would have loved for this to have been handled a little differently -- as in a 'jaguar spirit' attacking people -- like John Shiban wanted... instead of the cats, which Chris wanted .

The whole cat thing kind of took out some of the episodes creep factor... made it rather silly in a way. As for the writing and dialogue -- they were ok. I laughed at parts, during the episode itself. The banter between Mulder and Scully was particularly good.

As for the music and the cinematography -- very well done on both.

Overall, I'd give this episode a score of 7/10 ( it would be an 8/10 -- if it weren't for those dang 'killer kitties' ).

Give this episode another chance -- try and watch it from the whole 'jaguar spirit' point of view and not so much from the 'killer kitties' perspective... it really isn't THAT bad. Heck, I'd consider the episode, 'First Person Shooter' to be worse. That one was downright sexist .

Quote:
I just started rewatching the 1st season again, and last night, I watched 'The Jersey Devil' and I just realized how terrible all those outfits were that poor Gillian had to endure. This one is my favorite...

Is it Christmas??

I've also noticed a lot of turquoise and bright red.... Sorry, couldn't resist

And I'm sure I could dig up a few more of these gems....
Yea I know . Those outfits were pretty bad...

Quote:

Yea... the 90's really had some bad clothing there ... she did? I thought it was the fashion people who made those decisions there... I learn something new every day . But I do remember her saying that she didn't like the clothing back then, but didn't mind it this time around.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; August 23rd, 2010 at 9:40 pm. Reason: part, not party =p
Old August 24th, 2010, 5:31 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Yes. I watched an interview with her and DD (it was only a year or 2 ago) and Gillian said something about her and other people not paying enough attention to her wardrobe and remember's 'too much turquoise' and David called it a 'pant suit'

Actually, here's the interview, I think: 2008 interview
I remember this interview but couldn't remember if Gillian giggled. So I hoped there was a Gillian giggle and sure enough there was a whole bunch. She has the best laugh.

Quote:
On another note, I just watched 'Ice' again, and I would have to say it's one of my, if not top, favorite 'monster-of-the-week' episodes. Probably because it's the episode I first think of when I remember watching the series for the first time
That's still a great episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Oh I'm not hating on her for her clothes. It's just amusing, and it makes it seem like her clothes evolved with the character and all that she went through.

I love that she's so tiny in comparison too. I also love it when they had her stand on a box so that she grew a few inches in order to get into a tighter shot.

Old August 24th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Me too . She's so tiny compared to him.

Speaking of which... I just saw Teso Dos Bichos...

My review of it...

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only lame part was the fake cat attacking Scully ... The whole 'attack of the killer kitties' thing is like something out of a BAD 1950's horror movie... VERY cheesy. I would have loved for this to have been handled a little differently -- as in a 'jaguar spirit' attacking people -- like John Shiban wanted... instead of the cats, which Chris wanted .

The whole cat thing kind of took out some of the episodes creep factor... made it rather silly in a way. As for the writing and dialogue -- they were ok. I laughed at parts, during the episode itself. The banter between Mulder and Scully was particularly good.

As for the music and the cinematography -- very well done on both.

Overall, I'd give this episode a score of 7/10 ( it would be an 8/10 -- if it weren't for those dang 'killer kitties' ).
I can't help but laugh whenever those 'killer kitties' show up - I can't even take the episode seriously anymore because of how ridiculous the idea is They should've stuck with the jaguar idea (although I'm not sure if they'd do better with a fake jaguar... That might've turned out worse )

EDIT: Just watched 'One Breath'. Definitely one of my favorite episodes - it really shows how much Mulder cares for Scully. And of course it sets up a big series-long plot Although, I am thankful they decided to go with this plot to hide Gillian's pregnancy rather than Scully having an alien baby on the show I'd have to give it a 10/10 (even though I'm not a huge fan of the spiritual Scully episodes, this one is different )

Last edited by magic_is_might; August 25th, 2010 at 3:42 am.
Old August 26th, 2010, 9:36 pm

Quote:
I can't help but laugh whenever those 'killer kitties' show up - I can't even take the episode seriously anymore because of how ridiculous the idea is They should've stuck with the jaguar idea (although I'm not sure if they'd do better with a fake jaguar... That might've turned out worse )

EDIT: Just watched 'One Breath'. Definitely one of my favorite episodes - it really shows how much Mulder cares for Scully. And of course it sets up a big series-long plot Although, I am thankful they decided to go with this plot to hide Gillian's pregnancy rather than Scully having an alien baby on the show I'd have to give it a 10/10 (even though I'm not a huge fan of the spiritual Scully episodes, this one is different )
Me too . I know... basically its the whole -- people take artifacts and the curse takes revenge on them until they return it thing...

Fake jaguar? I meant an implied one -- that would have worked better than what they did .

Cool... me too on that one. I remember that they had a heck of a time hiding it though... .

Quote:
I remember this interview but couldn't remember if Gillian giggled. So I hoped there was a Gillian giggle and sure enough there was a whole bunch. She has the best laugh.

That's still a great episode.

Oh I'm not hating on her for her clothes. It's just amusing, and it makes it seem like her clothes evolved with the character and all that she went through.

I love that she's so tiny in comparison too. I also love it when they had her stand on a box so that she grew a few inches in order to get into a tighter shot.
Yea it is... definitely there .

Me too . Priceless .

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; August 26th, 2010 at 9:43 pm.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:01 pm
Sixth Year

Gillian really was lumbered with some horrid outfits, but I find it quite endearing. I remember reading that when they did their outfits for season 1 they intentionally went for quite cheap off the rails clothes from regular high street stores instead of getting nice tailored clothes made up for them, because they wanted them to be wearing what government employees would realistically wear. Sometimes I think they took it a bit far though... I seem to remember at one point she had an awful knitted jumper (possibly with pom poms...!) when it showed her at home. Maybe my brain added the pom poms though

Old August 26th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Gillian really was lumbered with some horrid outfits, but I find it quite endearing. I remember reading that when they did their outfits for season 1 they intentionally went for quite cheap off the rails clothes from regular high street stores instead of getting nice tailored clothes made up for them, because they wanted them to be wearing what government employees would realistically wear. Sometimes I think they took it a bit far though... I seem to remember at one point she had an awful knitted jumper (possibly with pom poms...!) when it showed her at home. Maybe my brain added the pom poms though
Me too. It reminds me of the 90's ... the clothing during the decade was interesting to say the least .

Makes sense there... and definitely agreed.

ah memories -- looks like something out of an LL Bean ad

another 90's moment -- Scully's suit... it blinds, it blinds... O_O

I love this scene -- just found out that the kiss isn't real though... thanks to an old interview. The one from Existence is though , so that's cool... still love this one better though.

a nice old school article -- under expand tags since it is really long:    

Sorry about the length here... but it's a really good article that explains some things .

This is from the Haven. There are several other posts concerning this, but I wanted EVERYONE to read it. I feel vindicated at last. I got beat up by so many people cause I thought it was so. Yippee!

Spoilers for, July 12, 2001?

TXF enters the unknown without Duchovny
By Tom Kessenich Krause Publications

It ended, with a kiss. And just like that, a door was closed on the past while another was opened to a future ripe with change and riddled with uncertainty.

When "The X-Files" begins its ninth season this fall, the landscape of the long-running Fox drama will have undergone a massive transformation. David Duchovny, the series’ top-billed star, has departed for good, leaving co-star Gillian Anderson behind, along with Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish, who joined the show last season as FBI Agents Doggett and Reyes.

Duchovny is not the first TV star to depart the small screen hoping to find more creative opportunities in the film world. But his departure creates a Grand Canyon-sized hole at the center of this series.

"The X-Files" has never been an anthology series or an ensemble show with a rotating cast of stars. It has always been about Mulder’s world as seen through the eyes of Anderson’s skeptical, scientific-minded Scully. Mulder’s quest to find the elusive "truth" was the impetus that drove the series forward, while the Mulder-Scully dynamic provided its heart and soul.

Now Mulder is gone after an emotionally compelling send-off in last season’s finale that saw him with Scully, holding their baby and kissing her passionately as the screen faded to black. That scene has fans wondering what will become of this series now that Duchovny has departed, and what will become of Scully, whose presence will serve as a constant reminder of who is no longer there?

"Mulder and Scully really are the heart and soul of the series," executive producer Frank Spotnitz said in a recent telephone interview. "You can't separate the success of The X-Files from the success of David and Gillian as actors and the characters they play. All you can do really is just rely on all the strengths you've got which is a great idea for a television series and some wonderful actors who are here and have chemistries of their own."

Spotnitz said one thing fans of the series will not have to be concerned about is the paternity of Scully’s baby being revised in the ninth season. Much of the eighth season was spent examining how the baby came to be since it had been previously established that Scully was unable to conceive.

Numerous red herrings were trotted out, including the idea of alien tampering. But in the end, the naming of the baby after Mulder’s father and their tender kiss provided confirmation that the baby was Mulder’s and the product of a sexual relationship between he and Scully that had only been hinted at in the past.

"The final scene was meant to say that Mulder and Scully had consummated their relationship and this child was a result of that," Spotnitz said.

That final scene would have been significantly different had Duchovny and director Kim Manners not intervened after both were unsatisfied with series creator Chris Carter’s original ending which featured a mundane kiss on the forehead.

"We all sat down with Kim Manners and Chris Carter and said, ‘We’ve been teasing and doing that bull for so long, let’s have a real kiss at this point,’" Duchovny said during his press junket to promote his latest film "Evolution." "I said, ‘I’m pretty sure I’m not coming back at this point so let’s have a romantic kiss.’"

So out went the forehead and in came the lips. And in that final moment, with their child between them, Mulder and Scully were given a rare moment of happiness in their journey into the unknown.

The kiss capped the most controversial season in the show’s storied history. Fans were divided over the introduction of Patrick’s character and many were outraged over the re-writing of history that had Mulder inexplicably being given a fatal brain disease and Scully trying invitro fertilization using Mulder as a donor.

It all resulted in declining ratings and a reinvention of the series so pronounced it left many fans wondering what had become of the show they loved.

"Chris Carter had his chance to go out with a bang, leaving a memorable mark on TV history," said Katherine Ramsey, a fan from Virginia since the first season. "Instead, he squandered it in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. Without Mulder’s wit and humanity, The X-Files has no soul. Everything I saw in Season 8 reinforced that belief."

"Somewhere along the way, the writers managed to get themselves sidetracked by mindless gore, inane and irrelevant plots, timeline blunders, and soap-operatic teasing," said Konrad Frye, a fan from the Canadian province of Manitoba who also has watched the series since its inception. "It's a shame because things didn't have to be that way and as a longtime fan of the show, I'd come to expect more."

These fans weren’t the only ones disappointed. Duchovny also lamented how the series had shifted away from Mulder and the Mulder-Scully dynamic after his full-time return for the final six episodes.

"When I came back, I felt somewhat peripheral," Duchovny said. "Mulder's story was one of three or four stories and it didn't feel like the same show to me."

Spotnitz responds to such complaints by saying 1013’s hands were tied creatively due to Duchovny’s contract, which called for him to be a part-time participant.

Many fans disagree, believing greater care should have been taken to weave Mulder’s absence (he spent half of the season on a spaceship after being abducted by aliens) and Scully’s pregnancy into the framework of the first half of the season, rather than focusing so intently on Doggett. They were also unhappy that, in some instances, Mulder and Scully were reduced to being guest stars on their own show.

The discontent was reflected in the ratings, which were higher for the episodes Duchovny appeared in compared to the ones he did not. The five highest-rated episodes last season all featured Duchovny and there was a steady decline in the ratings in December and January, when Duchovny did not appear in any episode, that ended only after his return in Feburary.

With Duchovny gone, many fans have said they have no interest in Doggett, Reyes or a show called "The X-Files" that does not feature Mulder and Scully together.

"To put it simply, The X-Files is Mulder and Scully," said longtime fan Jan Skinner from Peoria, Ill. "Without them, you have a show that happens to have the same name, but is something else entirely."

Not only is the series at a crossroads with Duchovny gone, it may move forward without its creator.

Planning for the ninth season began in June with Carter absent for the first time since he created the series in 1993. He has yet to reach a deal with Fox to return for the ninth season and there is speculation he will not return or serve only as a "consultant," with Spotnitz assuming the lead role for the show’s creative decisions along with co-executive producers Vince Gilligan and John Shiban.

Carter declined to be interviewed for this story, but Spotnitz said it has been odd going to work without the show’s creative driving force around.

"Obviously, we hope he comes back because it's his show, it's his vision that we've all been serving for all these years and he's an enormously talented writer and producer," said Spotnitz, who has been in charge of the series with Carter gone. "If he doesn't, it's not like we don't know where all the files are."

Spotnitz also said contrary to speculation, Anderson will be in all of the episodes next season. The Emmy-award winning actress is in the final year of her contract and has been vocal about being a reluctant participant, saying - as Duchovny did - that she is tired of the weekly TV series grind.

Despite that, Spotnitz said Scully will be a vital part of the ninth season with one of the central story lines exploring how Scully’s fertility was restored. Another issue to be addressed is how to explain Mulder’s absence given the romantic relationship with Scully that was confirmed in last season’s finale.

"I think we've got a way that's going to be pretty satisfying to people to address that issue that's completely true to the character and completely true to the series," Spotnitz said, declining to reveal anything further. "We were able to plot certain things in (last season’s finale) considering he may not be back."

For the first time in series history, the writers at 1013 do not have the luxury of relying on the strength of the Mulder-Scully relationship to push the show forward. They no longer have the luxury of knowing that when things are in doubt, Duchovny and Anderson’s amazing chemistry can lift the show to greatness.

Like Mulder, that is now part of the show’s past. The present is filled with uncertainty and in many ways, "The X-Files" is embarking on a tenuous high-wire act without a net.

"If I went into the season thinking things were hunky dory and there were no risks associated it, I'd be foolish," Spotnitz said. "Mulder and David Duchovny have been incredibly important to the success of the show and now we're going forward without that character at least physically present. So it's a gamble, there's no doubt about it."

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; August 27th, 2010 at 12:09 am.
Old August 27th, 2010, 5:57 am
Sixth Year

I especially love this jacket Darkness Falls

That second picture is a bit blinding

Great article Fawkes! I've actually never seen those interviews before, and I didn't know that Chris didn't want that kiss - I'm glad that David and Kim intervened!

Old August 30th, 2010, 9:10 pm

Quote:
I especially love this jacket Darkness Falls

That second picture is a bit blinding

Great article Fawkes! I've actually never seen those interviews before, and I didn't know that Chris didn't want that kiss - I'm glad that David and Kim intervened!
Yes it is . Silly early seasons ( I had a jacket kind of like that when I was younger )... I'm going to be looking for some of Mulder's old ties next ...

Same here... I heard that he wanted the forehead kiss (which wouldn't have fit that scene at all -- in fact it would have made it seem rather awkward ... doing something like that in front of their own kid...).

As for him (Chris) not being there for s9 possibly, that was one thing I didn't know before... I kind of wondered what it would have been like without him in a way...

the ties...

number 1 not the worst... but still pretty bad

number 2 now this one is pretty bad

now this one just doesn't look right at all -- not the tie, but the cap itself

ladies and gentlemen, may I present... Scully, the living Christmas tree ornament

Speaking of bad clothes, anyone remember the name of the episode where Scully's in a really bad white blouse? I can't remember the name of it myself -- but I'd like to -- so I can find a cap from it to share here .

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; August 30th, 2010 at 10:31 pm.
Old August 31st, 2010, 5:16 pm
Sixth Year

Scully's red suit a few posts above is just... wow! It kinda reminds me of that dancing demon from Buffy Once More With Feeling...
http://images.thesimsresource.com/298/298347.jpg

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Scully's red suit a few posts above is just... wow! It kinda reminds me of that dancing demon from Buffy Once More With Feeling...
http://images.thesimsresource.com/298/298347.jpg
Yea I know... same here... Nice and bright ...

one of my favorite 'Unnatural' scenes... 'hips before hands'

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; September 1st, 2010 at 12:00 am.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:29 pm

Some promos (interviews and such) from IWTB and some old ones...

since they're rather long... but still interesting:    

Belgium TV promo interviews
DD: This show I'm proud of. I think it's got, overall, if we did 203, and I think we did, there are over 100 that I think are really really good, and almost movie-worthy, so I'm stunned by that quality of writing and execution, still.

CC: I remember the first day, in Mulder's office, we were filming that. You saw that these two very strong people. When people talk about the chemistry, I think sometimes that is a misconception. I think it is two strong people who are really bouncing off one another, and that's what makes it interesting, and that's what gives it I think what the so-called "sexual tension" between them.

Q: Do you still watch it?

DD: Sometimes. When I was getting ready to go to the airport, in New York to come here a few days ago, I absent-mindedly put the TV on, at 5 in the morning, it was 5 in the morning, there it was playing. All I could think was, we work so hard and they show it at 5 in the morning, nobody's gonna watch it at 5 in the morning.

CC: You never set out to create a phenomenon. You just make sure that the first pilot episode hits, it's a splash. From there you just work tirelessly, just make the show new and good each week.

DD: As far as its impact on my person life and career, it changes, it changes everything when you gain that level of fame, so you have to adjust many different things, professionally, publicly.

GA: The first few years of my even working on the show, I was in a state of complete shock. I was you know 24 years old and this thing has happened to me. I was just... you know, I had 10 minutes of free time in my life every week, and everything was so controlled and I was so determined to not fall apart that I think I got very serious, and just very all freaked out about it. It was very difficult for me to see anything in any sense of light at all. So, and now it's just all a game, it's just all you know, it's just a laugh, isn't it!

DD: My own stipulation, or wish for was a stand-alone story that you don't need any specialized knowledge of The X-Files to enjoy, because you can't expect, 6 years, people to remember what's at stake, what's going on, and also you want to reach out to a new audience.

FS: And what's interesting about it, as dark and disturbing as the story was, it allowed us to kind cast a fractured mirror at Mulder and Scully, their relationship, and their issues. And it really became a movie about hope, faith, and love, as dark and disturbing as the mystery is.

GA: It was nice to be back with everybody and it was... You know you spent a week talking about the past, and reminiscing and all that, then it's just another job you know what I mean. You are like yes waking up 5:30 in the morning, slogging and all that stuff. So after a while you don't want to talk about the past anymore, you are just like, "when can I sleep?" So... but it was, it was. For the first week it was heavenly.

Q: Are you still looking forward to film #3? around some time in 2012?

DD: That would be nice. Every four years, that would be...would be fine by me.

Part of another interview...

Translation courtesy of Belly-Up.

A conversation with the protagonist of the X-Files, the forerunner of a number of today’s shows like Lost, Heroes and Supernatural. Set to return with a spectacular production which premieres in theaters this month.

The final episode of The X-Files left open the possibility that the series would be back in 2012. But despite missing years for this symbolic date (when according to the Mayans the world ends), The brain (The Creator), Chris Carter, decided to interrupt the timetable with a film that brings back Mulder and Scully; the pair of FBI agents investigating the occult and the forbidden. Because before Lost, Supernatural, Heroes and Damages, it was they who guided us through the most enigmatic passages of history in The X-Files, the great milestone of 90’s television.

Vives! I spoke with Gillian Anderson, the red-haired actress who embodies the similiarly colored Agent Dana Scully, the skeptical side (and also sexy side) of this ongoing returning saga.

What can you tell us about the return of the X-Files?

"The only thing that I am permitted to say is that it is going to be a very frightening film. The best of the series with the resources of cinema".

What changes has your character, Dana Scully, experienced during her absence from the screen? (I can’t decipher the rest of that question).

They’ll see a Scully who is older and more mature. I think the writers did a very good job in presenting the characters and incorporating the passage of time. It is the Dana Scully that the fans know, but they will note that she is definitely not 30 years old anymore and that there are things that are not in the series or the first film.

What was it like to return to work with Chris Carter as the director?

Chris directed many of the episodes in the series, so I was accustomed to his way of working. He is able to handle a thousand things at once. He has the ability to keep things and equipment working properly. He’s very talented as a director and has a wonderful eye.

(Something to the effect of) What do you think when seeing current series like Lost and Supernatural that have inherited the mystery and the conspiracy of the X-Files?

In truth I am not familiar with these programs. But I am interested in the political factor in our history. I think that X could exist with Clinton, with Bush I am not very sure. I am going to put it this way: proposing that the FBI maintains a division that questions the government and the military was possible with Clinton, but now we don’t have that guarantee…do you understand?

If David Duchovny, your partner had not signed on to make the film, would you still have participated?

It was David who revived the idea of the film. If any of us had not shown interest in it this film would not have been made. I have been in touch with Chris and David since the end of the series and making movies together has always been a part of our future.

Another one...

- One word to your longtime collaboration with David “Spooky“ Duchovny? Rumor always has it that...

... alas, those stories. Look, we have been standing in front of the camera together for 15 years, for weeks, months at a time. When you have to deal with someone for so long, you live through all the highs and lows. Betimes, you have fun and you go out for a drink after shooting. Other times, your are ticked off at the other and you don't talk to him for a few days. That's all. Fact is: We are just a very, very good team.

The old school one ...

One of my favorite interviews was from USA Weekend (around the time the "Return to Me" or "Evolution" came out, I think) where Gillian actually interviews David. Below is an excerpt, but even reading the entire interview, you get a sense that they certainly have a bond with each other, much like how they've described it, as siblings. I mean, when you spend 14 hours or more a day with someone, do you really feel the need to hang out afterwards as well? I wouldn't no matter how much I liked them! And later David basically describes himself as an introvert (which isn't necessarily being shy, but that you get recharged by having "me" or alone time, whereas extroverts feed off the energy of others).

Anderson: Here's one for you. How do you perceive our relationship?

Duchovny: It's like the roots of a tree. It's very twisted, but it's growing. You know the tree is alive, and it works in it's own treelike ways, yet you couldn't untangle it. You could, but you'd need the help of a gifted professional.

Anderson: {roaring with laughter} Like a therapist?

Duchovny: Yeah. I always think back to the third or fourth episode. I was sitting in the office with {X-files creator} Chris Carter, and he actually wanted us to get help. He was concerned with how we were relating onscreen. He said, "You seem bored or angry with each other. Maybe you should go see somebody." I thought, "What? We'll go as our characters? 'Hi, my name is Fox Mulder. This is my partner, Scully. We're here for couples therapy.'"

Anderson: I have no memory of that.

Duchovny: You might not have been in the room. But maybe we should have therapy for long-running series actors. It'd be good for the cast of Friends to have group therapy. We'd have couples therapy, because we're not an ensemble. Actually, when Chris said that, I thought he was insane. But we do spend so much time together, and it's a hard relationship to navigate. As soon as I say, "No, we don't see each other after work," then it's -- "You hate each other." There seems to be no room in fans' minds -- as the fans are portrayed through journalists -- for a complicated relationship between us. It can't be summed up with "I love her. She's the best!" or "I can't stand her!"

And this is an interview with GA in 2008 with Dreamwatch

How would you describe your relationship with David Duchovny?

We're like siblings, and even though we've had our up and downs, and arguments over the years, we've always had a strong connection. We've always loved each other, and because we've been through so much together, working on the show, sometimes there's a bit of hate that gets through. So it's kind of a love-hate relationship we've had over the years.

A 2002 interview with DD:

"Like Anderson, whom I have interviewed twice and who has never made any secret of her love-hate (but mainly hate) relationship with the show, Duchovny admits that he was at times "less grateful and less celebratory" towards it than he should have been. It was a pleasure, however, to return for a single month’s work.

Of all The X Files mysteries the greatest is why Duchovny and Anderson, both of whom I can now vouch for as attractive, intelligent people, did not get on. Money came between them later, with Anderson assuming that she was being paid less than him. But the financial squabbles, "ugly and totally human" as Duchovny characterises them, were not the initial problem.

Anderson claims that from very early on Duchovny made it clear there would be no off-screen friendship and that the nine years would have been easier if there had.

"It is not like we do not get on," he insists. "We are somehow joined, at some significant level, for ever, for as long as we are alive, not just in the public’s mind but our own. To have worked so long together at that intensity, to have gone through so many huge changes in our personal, professional and public lives, means that we have a very deep bond. We have never had a friendship of like minds, but we are soulmates in some senses.

"I love her and I think she loves me, but we do not have a huge interest in each other as people outside of this work connection."

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; September 2nd, 2010 at 11:05 pm.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 5:37 am
Sixth Year

^ I love reading their interviews, and I do hope they do a third movie! I'm not looking for a whole new opener or new season, just one last movie for closure And the 2012 plot would be great since they did mention something about it in the series finale...

And as for 'The Unnatural' - that contains one of the best Scully/Mulder moments of course! (actually 2: 'non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle'! )

I need to watch that again since lately I've been on an XF kick

EDIT: @Fawkes, as for the bad, white blouse - is it in a more recent episode or an older one? I've been looking through the older ones and I haven't noticed anything that stands out.

not too bad of a tie, but I'm not a fan
I'm not really digging the watermelon/salmon on blue
The Jersey Devil

Last edited by magic_is_might; September 3rd, 2010 at 5:54 am.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 9:18 am
MODLY CREW

Wow, I had no idea that GA and DD had such a complicated and emotionally tense relationship. This is quite bizarre. But okay, not everyone can or wants to be friends. They did have an amazing on-screen chemistry though.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television