Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Old February 21st, 2010, 7:18 am
MODLY CREW

Re: The X-Files

My friend has the box sets and we watched a few episodes of series two this weekend. I was immediately hooked again but I still can't watch The X-Files at night.

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:15 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
My friend has the box sets and we watched a few episodes of series two this weekend. I was immediately hooked again but I still can't watch The X-Files at night.
Awesome. I've only seen a few eps from that season myself. Since I became a fan around season three.

I see . Don't blame ya there. Some of the eps from early on were pretty scary . Along with the clothing and hairdos ...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old February 24th, 2010, 7:37 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Awesome. I've only seen a few eps from that season myself. Since I became a fan around season three.

I see . Don't blame ya there. Some of the eps from early on were pretty scary . Along with the clothing and hairdos ...
Oh, the clothes and hair, so 80s! I feel old just watching them.

What I love about X-Files and what I think is missing in similar shows today is the professionalism. Mulder and Scully did really do some weird things and met some odd people but one never lost the sense that they were, indeed, FBI agents.

Old February 24th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Oh, the clothes and hair, so 80s! I feel old just watching them.

What I love about X-Files and what I think is missing in similar shows today is the professionalism. Mulder and Scully did really do some weird things and met some odd people but one never lost the sense that they were, indeed, FBI agents.
Yea I know . I feel so old at times when I watch them. But boy was it fun and it still is. I still have seasons 5-8 to get...

Agreed. There's so little of that in tv shows today.

But I still hope that those two crazy kids (ok, not kids anymore...) get to make out next time (if there is a third movie) ...

Yes I'm a shipper ... so sue me...

Did you get a chance to see the most recent movie?

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old February 24th, 2010, 9:03 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Did you get a chance to see the most recent movie?
I did. I was gutted that they just killed off the child. But I found the portrayal of their relationship really touching. They couldn't really stand being with each other but couldn't really do without the other, either. Well, I suppose Scully could, she is stronger and more sociably functional than Mulder.

Old February 24th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Quote:
I did. I was gutted that they just killed off the child. But I found the portrayal of their relationship really touching. They couldn't really stand being with each other but couldn't really do without the other, either. Well, I suppose Scully could, she is stronger and more sociably functional than Mulder.
Ah. They didn't -- I think that Scully related to the family in terms of having to give William up for adoption. That would be a similar kind of thing to losing a kid whose sick.

Me too. They did such an incredible job in terms of their portrayal of Moose and Squirrel. They really respected them -- and I was surprised that they brought their all to it. I figured they wouldn't put as much as they did into their performances. But boy was I proven wrong there. And I agree about Scully being able to do better without Mulder. He would just fall apart without her -- from what I saw in IWTB, he was only half a person without her being there.

I was truly impressed and proud to be a fan. I certainly hope that there's a third movie. There needs to be some sort of conclusion to their journey. It really wouldn't make any sense if there wasn't any.

By the way, how did you like the bed scene ? Finally Mulder makes a move on Scully .

And the boat scene (the one that takes place after the credits)... I loved seeing those two getting a chance to finally go on vacation . They certainly earned it.

Old February 24th, 2010, 9:19 pm
MODLY CREW

I actually thought that they had had a relationship at this point and then kind of lived apart after the loss of their child and the things that are always going on in Mulder's life. It did definitely not seem like the first time they were sharing a bed. It seemed about comforting a loved one, someone who had been very close and then was estranged for some time.

Old February 24th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Quote:
I actually thought that they had had a relationship at this point and then kind of lived apart after the loss of their child and the things that are always going on in Mulder's life. It did definitely not seem like the first time they were sharing a bed. It seemed about comforting a loved one, someone who had been very close and then was estranged for some time.
Ah I see. I didn't view it that way myself. I just figured Mulder was alone so much due to Scully going to work so often.

It's interesting to see what other's takes are on it though -- since it was a little out there at first. Agreed. They really did a good job there -- I was impressed. So human and so real .

Interesting. I didn't view that part of the scene in that way. I viewed it as -- Scully being tired and worn out and Mulder comforting her.

Also it was good to see him not have the attention span of a nat . He's come so far .

Old March 3rd, 2010, 9:28 pm
MODLY CREW

I watched Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man today and, wow, I'd never have thought to feel sympathy for the Cancer Man. He's just a misunderstood writer, awwww.

Old March 4th, 2010, 11:10 pm

Quote:
I watched Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man today and, wow, I'd never have thought to feel sympathy for the Cancer Man. He's just a misunderstood writer, awwww.
That's how I felt as well when I saw that episode. I really felt sorry for him. Not completely... but a little bit. The way that William B. Davis played him there -- made him appear human... if only for a little while.

Old March 5th, 2010, 7:38 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
That's how I felt as well when I saw that episode. I really felt sorry for him. Not completely... but a little bit. The way that William B. Davis played him there -- made him appear human... if only for a little while.
He was almost cute when he got the letter and then called the publisher. Smiling as if Christmas had come early. Awww.

Old March 5th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Quote:
He was almost cute when he got the letter and then called the publisher. Smiling as if Christmas had come early. Awww.
I know ... I really hoped that they would have accepted his story. Then maybe he would have quit the FBI for good.

Old March 7th, 2010, 4:42 am
First Year

Ah! I love Xfiles! The first episode I saw was either when Darkness Falls, and some others I forget, that my dad got from his brother on VCR. I was like 5 when I watched them, and I have vivid mental images of watching them. I was just born when it aired. (I'm 13.) I have a few seasons on DVD, and I watch them when I'm sick. Currently, (from watching them in order,) I am on the finale of the 2nd season, waiting to watch the 3rd.
Not long ago, I was watching the episode about the canibals, and how they used human parts to make this chicken, and ironicly, I had been eating KFC. I lost my appetite fast.

Old March 7th, 2010, 7:42 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaseldigs View Post
Not long ago, I was watching the episode about the canibals, and how they used human parts to make this chicken, and ironicly, I had been eating KFC. I lost my appetite fast.
I love that episode. It's the only one I vividly remembered from watching the series in my childhood.

Old March 8th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaseldigs View Post
Ah! I love Xfiles! The first episode I saw was either when Darkness Falls, and some others I forget, that my dad got from his brother on VCR. I was like 5 when I watched them, and I have vivid mental images of watching them. I was just born when it aired. (I'm 13.) I have a few seasons on DVD, and I watch them when I'm sick. Currently, (from watching them in order,) I am on the finale of the 2nd season, waiting to watch the 3rd.
Don't blame you there. There are some really creepy episodes of that show . I have seasons 1-4 right now, along with season 9. Haven't had much time to watch any episodes as of late though... but I hope to rewatch some in the future though.

Old March 8th, 2010, 11:02 pm
MODLY CREW

I've worked my way up to season five. I don't like in-denial!Mulder. His self-righteousness is only acceptable if he wants to believe. Poor Scully, it must be horrible to suddenly play Mulder's part.

Old March 10th, 2010, 12:08 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I just saw the episode 'Home' again recently...

My thoughts/review...

It's still creepy as all get out... with the whole inbreeding/incest thing. I could see why FOX never aired it more than twice and on it's second showing (which I was lucky enough to see back in the day ) gave it a MA rating.

I loved the cinematography and overall feeling that this episode had... both just lent to the episodes overall creepiness factor. Kim Manners did an excellent job in terms of both of these factors.

As for the acting, everyone did a good job. From both David and Gillian to the secondary actors. It was a total group effort here.

Any bantering and interaction between Moose and Squirrel was just top notch... with one of my favorite scenes being one where Mulder was distracted by a baseball and was talking to Scully about it... while she was talking about the case . So, so them... not to mention that Mulder had an attention span of a nat back then .

Overall, this episode was well written and well done.

I give this episode a score of 10/10; A+; 4 out of 4 stars.

This was one of my favourite episodes- so freakish! It's amazing that it even got made, especially when you think about how it was only a couple of decades earlier that 'video nasties' were being banned and it wasn't far removed from those sorts of films. Kim Manners is such a terrible loss to television, I really loved his work on The X Files and Supernatural.

I think I am due a rewatch of all my X-Files boxsets

Old March 10th, 2010, 12:31 am

Quote:
I've worked my way up to season five. I don't like in-denial!Mulder. His self-righteousness is only acceptable if he wants to believe. Poor Scully, it must be horrible to suddenly play Mulder's part.
Don't blame ya there. And lucky... I still have to get 5-8, there's some of my favorite eps in those seasons . Arcadia, The Unnatural, Bad Blood, anyone?

Yep it must have been.

@Bonta Kun: Yea it is a freakish one. Heck I read an interview not too long ago (a CC one) where he said that they got in trouble for going so far with that episode.

Agreed. He was one heck of a director/producer and seemed to be a really nice person. Me too. I've been watching re runs of Supernatural as of late... I like it so far.

Me too... I've only made it to the second episode... since I've been busy as of late... dang it ... must watch... since 2012 isn't too far off. Only 2 years... boy does time fly...

Old March 15th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
@Bonta Kun: Yea it is a freakish one. Heck I read an interview not too long ago (a CC one) where he said that they got in trouble for going so far with that episode.

Agreed. He was one heck of a director/producer and seemed to be a really nice person. Me too. I've been watching re runs of Supernatural as of late... I like it so far.

Me too... I've only made it to the second episode... since I've been busy as of late... dang it ... must watch... since 2012 isn't too far off. Only 2 years... boy does time fly...
Silly life, always getting in the way of having a proper geekfest When I want to work through a boxset I sometimes just go several weeks setting my alarm to go off 45 minutes earlier in the morning so I can watch an episode before I have to get up and out of bed

And I'm glad you're enjoying Supernatural, the first 2 seasons in particular make it the the most X-Filesy programme I've seen since The X-Files. although it changes direction quite a bit (not in a bad way, just different) You can't beat a bit of Mulder and Scully love, though

Old March 15th, 2010, 9:28 pm
MODLY CREW

I'd always compare Supernatural to Buffy and Charmed rather than The X-Files. If this show had a successor, it would be Fringe, in my opinion. J. J. Abrams can protest all he likes, Fringe operates on the same more-than-natural global conspiracy level.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television