Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella

The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of story

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:46 pm
First Year

Re: The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of s

So, choir contest yesterday totally ruled. Here's you an update so you can celebrate with me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Two: Ryan, Kyle, and Cindy

Ryan Singleton lived in a not-so-good part of a very large city. He knew that, acknowledged it, and then left it be. It wasn't as if he was going to be outdoors after five in West St. Louis. He may not have been capable of passing algebra, but he wasn't stupid.

It wasn't five right now, though.

"Hey, hey! Ryan!" Hal Richards called to him after school was over. Ryan turned his head and smiled. Hal was his best friend, but he had started cutting school recently, and Ryan was a little worried.

"Hal, where were you in Biology today?" Ryan asked, hitting him with his backpack. It was the third time that week he'd been gone.

Hal shrugged, seemingly not caring. "Home. Chatting on the internet. What's it matter? Bio's a no-account subject anyway. Want to come over to the diner?" Hal's dad owned the diner in question, and gave free milkshakes to anyone Hal pointed out.

Ryan nodded. "Sounds good to me. Got nothing to do at home."

He climbed into the passenger's seat of Hal's car, feeling just a little uncomfortable. The Singleton family couldn't afford another car. Times had gotten rough ever since his mom and thrown his dad out of the house. It was worth it, but he had his driver's license now and wanted a chance to show it off.

Even with traffic it only took them a few minutes to reach the diner. Both boys jumped out of the car and jogged inside. Ryan could hear Hal's dad singing from here. Hal's dad had been a tenor in a college group and sang all the time. Hal ordered two milkshakes and they sat in the swivel chairs at the counter, spinning around and telling jokes. The door opened as they waited for their shakes and Hal got quiet.

"Don't look now, Ryan," he murmured. "And don't cause a scene. But there comes a couple you know."

Ryan looked anyway, making Hal roll his eyes and turn away. Ryan felt his stomach tumble as the girl and boy made their way to a booth and sat down. The girl looked uneasy and was practically trembling. The boy had his hand around his forearm a little too tightly for comfort. Ryan recognized them both, all right.

The girl was Cindy Singleton, Ryan's older sister. And the boy was her boyfriend, Kyle Donaldson. And Ryan hated him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, so not much interesting happening here. There'll be a fight next time, I promise.

Felis Draconis Among The Tame NaNoWriMo 2008

My Story, Non-HP---------> The Hands Of The Poet Please read and and leave feedback. Or I'll sick the Antonym on you!

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; April 2nd, 2009 at 10:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:55 pm
First Year

Re: The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of s

"I told you not to look," Hal said, elbowing Ryan. "Don't get mad."

"Don't get mad?" Ryan said, voice low and dangerous. "Look at them."

"Hey, Cindy," Kyle said, loud enough for others to hear. "How about you buying this time? We'll take the regular," he told the waitress.

Cindy frowned. "But-but K-Kyle, I bought last time—"

He put his finger in her face, never removing the other hand from her arm. "I told you you're buying. Now you're buying, right? Or am I going to have to leave now?"

"N-no, Kyle!" Cindy said, trying to twist out of his grip. "Don't. Don't go!"

"He's just a jerk, Ryan. He's not worth your time."

Hal's dad came out with the milkshakes at that point. Ryan turned around to face the counter, trying to concentrate on his glass and not his sister and her boyfriend in the corner. They all stayed silent for the longest of times. There was a scuffling sound in the back. Ryan flipped around despite himself. Kyle was trying to kiss Cindy. She didn't look as if she was enjoying herself.

"Kyle, please," she pleaded. "Please don't."

"Shut up," Kyle said. Ryan stood slowly and methodically, taking his time as he had seen his father do so often before hitting his mother before. He had been at his deadliest when he had been his calmest. Hal recognized his actions.

"Ryan, don't," he warned. Ryan couldn't hear him. He moved calmly and slowly over to the booth in the back and punched Kyle square in the eye before anyone could react.

"RYAN!" Cindy screamed as Kyle stood and pushed him against the diner bar.

"Keep you DIRTY PAWS OFF my sister!" Ryan roared, ignoring her.

Kyle looked like he was going to strike Ryan back, but stopped and laughed at the last minute. "Cindy, go home."

"Stay right there," Ryan told her as she started to exit the booth. She looked hesitantly from Ryan to Kyle, then dashed out of the diner, mouthing the words "I'm sorry."

"You think you can get away with that?" Kyle said. Ryan looked around and knew immediately that he had made a mistake. Kyle was with a gang. A gang that never left its members alone. There were three of them in the diner with Kyle and two outside, looking in. They were now circling around Ryan, forming a barrier that their younger and smaller captive could not break from. Ryan looked at Hal, who shook his head sorrowfully. Kyle gave one of the members a signal of some sort and the circle broke. Ryan ran out of it, out of the diner, and was across two streets before the rest of them caught up with him.

Jack Singleton, Ryan's abusive father, had taught his family several lessons before leaving. He taught his wife and daughter that what the man said went, no matter what, and that he could do no wrong. He taught Pat Singleton, his wife, that he was the leader unless the lives of her children were at stake; It was only when Ryan, the most rebellious and like his father, had been an inch from being beaten to death that Pat had gained enough of a personal will to throw him out forever. He taught Cindy that the more her boyfriend beat her, the more love he had for her. All he taught to Ryan was that he had to fight if he wanted to survive in the world, and that people could not be trusted. He taught Ryan to fight, and fight well.

But Ryan was no match for six street-hardened gang members.

My Story, Non-HP---------> The Hands Of The Poet Please read and and leave feedback. Or I'll sick the Antonym on you!
Old May 13th, 2009, 7:40 pm
First Year

*fails*
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Three: First Contact

Ryan walked home slowly, feeling as if he'd been hit by a car. The gang had really pulverized him. He was lucky that they'd left him conscious. He was getting a little worried, too. It was getting darker, and he was in no position to outrun any trouble that may or may not happen. He took a familiar short cut, winding into a dark alleyway. It was then that he heard a most curious noise.

He looked around. No one was nearby. It wasn't dark enough for anyone to be hiding. The sound—might it have been someone screaming?—was coming from the alley right ahead of where he stood. Ryan hesitated, then crept forward and peeked around.

There was a man in the alley, a look of pure terror on his face, running toward Ryan, toward an exit. He tripped over something as Ryan watched, and fell into a pair of garbage cans. Ryan heard barking. Or at least he thought it was barking. It might have been laughter. As he stood, wondering whether to try to run away or not, a group of people calmly turned the corner opposite him.

They were all women, all dressed as if they'd walked out of a Roman play, and all armed to the teeth. One stepped forward. She was the only one wearing white. "Robert Garner," she said, aiming her bow straight at the man on the ground. "You have committed a crime against humanity. Now you must pay the price."

"No!" the man moaned.

The woman in white pulled back the bowstring and shot the man in the shoulder. He screamed in agony. "You admit to your crimes?"

"Yes!" the man cried. "Please don't hurt me anymore! I'll never beat my kids again! I swear!"

"Beat them?" the woman scoffed haughtily, giving some kind of signal to the rest of her group. The others crouched slightly, malicious smiles on their faces, waiting for something. "You doused a two year old in gasoline and set him on fire!"

The man flinched. "How did you..."

"WE KNOW ALL!" chorused the girls behind the woman in white. "NONE IS HIDDEN FROM US!"

The woman who seemed to be their leader drew a knife and flourished it in the air. "PACK OF THE HUNTRESS," she bellowed at the top of her lungs, "HE IS YOURS!"

Instantly, half the women began laughing. As they laughed—Ryan gasped and bit back a scream—they changed. Changed into dogs the size of Saint Bernards, in all colors, shapes, and forms. Ryan was positive some of them were wolves. The dogs lunged at the man, who seemed to have passed out with fear. Ryan turned away, closing his eyes, trying to block out the sounds of ripping flesh coming from the side alley. Suddenly, the woman in white cried "HALT!" All sounds stopped as if someone had pressed a mute button. "I hear a heartbeat..."

Ryan heard footsteps.

Old June 12th, 2009, 5:41 pm
First Year

He backed up, too tired and sore to run, terror sinking slowly into his mind. As he watched, the woman in white turned his corner and stared at him, fiercely. He stared back. She blinked a moment.

"PACK ASSEMBLE!" she roared suddenly. The other women ran and formed lines behind her, staring at Ryan in something like shock and muttering amongst themselves. The woman in white stepped forward, drawing a knife this size of Ryan's arm. "You can see us?" she asked.

Ryan stepped away, face white. "I...I...I..." As he stuttered, she grabbed his shirt collar and threw him against the alley wall, pinning him there and putting the blade to his throat.

"What is your name, mortal?" she hissed, eyes boring into his.

"R-ryan-n-n Sin-nglet-t-ton." He thought it best do do as she asked.

"Ryan Singleton," the woman said, as if trying to taste the name. Her head whipped around and she looked at a woman in green. "Is he on our list?"

She thought for a moment. "No, Lenore. He's done nothing."

"...But he can see us," she said. "He must be something..." She looked back at Ryan one last time, then threw him to the ground. "Brigitte, track him."

"Aye, Lenore," said a girl who couldn't have been more then ten years old. She stepped forward and took Ryan's chin in her hand, then turned his head to the side and kissed him on the cheek. Ryan felt as though a thousand tiny claws had pierced his skin and were clamoring around inside his blood. He cried out as she pulled away, and sure enough, there was blood on her lips. She licked it away, her eyes rolling back. "Ryan Singleton, age Sixteen, son of Patricia and Jack Singleton. I've got him tracked now."

"Excellent. We'll be keeping tabs on you, Ryan," the one they called Lenore said. "And be sure you don't get in our way again. PACK, AWAY."

The women turned as one and ran down the alley, leaving Ryan to struggle to his feet and walk home alone. He put his hand to his cheek where the Brigitte girl had kissed him. It burned as if it were on fire, but there was no mark.

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; June 13th, 2009 at 5:20 am. Reason: Because I fail again
Old August 17th, 2011, 3:10 pm
First Year

The story is really good but what can make it even better is to add some more setting but otherwise it was pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOfAranja View Post
The phone only rang once before Jake picked up. "Hi, Case," he said, a little too quickly.

"Hi," she answered. "How'd you know it was me?"

He paused and there was a strange sound from the line. "Erm. Caller ID. What can I do for you?"

"I need some advice. Do you know of anything that's going on lately?"

"You mean at school or something?"

"Yeah," she said.

He paused and thought. "Well... there's a poetry contest..."

"Why do you sound so guilty about it?" she asked slyly.

"I wrote something for it, as well as a hate poem for...well for someone. I went to submit the poem I wrote to the contest and when I got back home, I realized I sent the hate poem instead."

"Aww, that's too bad...what are you doing writing hate poetry anyway?

"Well it's better than beating someone up, isn't it? Anyway, I sent it in kind of last minute, and we find out the winners tomorrow... there's no way I can place now."

"Good luck anyway. That's all I needed. See you tomorrow."

"See ya—"

Laudie hung the phone up before he could finish and dashed to her room.

The next day, Lacey came into school to a great commotion. She saw that Jaden seemed to be at its center and jogged toward him. "What's going on?" She asked.

"I won, Lace! I won the story-writing contest!"

She finished the update a few minutes later and, with a small flourish of her hand, pressed the submit button.
-------------------------------------------------------------
That's all for now. I'll give you some more tomorrow. If you're new to Laudie's story, remember that feedback is welcome and keeps the story alive. Wow. I feel like a radio announcer.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella