Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella

The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of story

Old October 4th, 2008, 3:51 am
First Year

Re: The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of s

Mr. Turner followed Laudie's eyes and smiled. "Quite a beautiful poem. The author was one of the finest of the Order. The poem is very clear cut. The Poet is her most common name, and 'stay the course, light a star/change the world where'er you are' is her command to all non-fingers. Antares is the lead star in the constellation Scorpio. The human figure of that star is her messenger. And Moriah, the figurehead of the wind, is her handmaiden."

Laudie shivered, remembering the rushing winds that seemed to be almost following her. Mr. Turner noticed, but did not say anything about it. Instead, he continued with his explanation of the poem. " The loneliness and misery/Are silenced by a melody. Very strange, don't you think? That someone of such competence and power should be so lonely. But she is. Continually."

He was silent for a moment, looking at Laudie with an almost jealous look on his face. Then he grew serious. "If she has approached earth again, then another battle must be coming up."

"Battle?" Laudie gasped. "What's she fighting?"

"So you do believe me," Mr. Turner said with a small smile. "She controls earth at the moment, but the Other is always looking to take it from her. So sometimes he tries. There is a battle. The last one...well...you've doubtless heard of World War Two?" He added sarcastically. "She won. But she lost once...The Dark Ages," he said. "Not a good time at all."

"So if she loses, there'll be another dark age?"

The councilor nodded. "But that's why you're here. There are people on earth whom each side must find, eight people each. They are called fingers. When the Poet has all eight fingers, she will be at full power. Just think—all that is good in the universe, at maximum potential! She would be nearly unstoppable. This is where you come in. The Lady has approached you, and told you to address her as the Muse¨—a finger-specific name. You are a finger, Casey Bell!"

Felis Draconis Among The Tame NaNoWriMo 2008

My Story, Non-HP---------> The Hands Of The Poet Please read and and leave feedback. Or I'll sick the Antonym on you!
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2008, 2:34 am
First Year

Re: The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of s

Laudie looked around the room frantically. "But...but there must be some kind of mistake! I'm nobody!"

"No. You are Casey Bell. That's good enough for the Lady, so it must be worth something."

"Why me?" She screamed at him. There was no question in her mind about whether or not she actually was a finger. It was doubtless. "Why me? Why not someone else, anyone else?"

He smoothed his sleeve with a careless finger. "There is a theory," he said slowly, "that every person on earth has the potential to become a finger. She reaches out to everyone. Those who become fingers are the one who reach back to her."

"But—"

"You are what you are because you needed it, Casey," Mr. Turner said harshly. "You are a finger because you needed her more than she needed you. If you take her away from your life then not only are you putting the world in Hands less kind than hers, but you will be taking away everything that hes meaning to you. All you have to do to save the world—and yourself—" he leaned forward. "Is keep writing."

Laudie looked at him and shivered. She looked at the poem on the wall again. Stay the course, light a star. "Change the world where're you are," she muttered to herself. "Fine. I'll do it."

Mr. Turner smiled. "You are making a decision worthy of praise, Casey."

Praise-worthy, she thought. So I am. "Please call me Laudie, Mr. Turner." They were words she'd been dying to say to someone, anyone, ever since she'd moved here.

"Laudie?" He raised an eyebrow.

"It's my nickname. A shorter form of my middle name, Laudine."

He smiled again, much more broadly now. "From the root word laud. To praise." A wind streamed through his open window, blowing papers off his desk and rustling Laudie's hair. "And so another finger accepts herself. I wish you luck in the wide world, Laudie, and know you'll find it much wider than what others say. I'm going to come to your house after school. I want you to write your story, and I want to be there when you make history."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Moriah rushed to the Poet, too full of emotion to say anything at all. She didn't have to. Her Mistress had felt the shift. The Poet looked up at her and smiled. "She has opened herself up. She belongs to the Stars. She is truly ready."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake felt the wind rush through the building as far as his homeroom. For a moment he froze, seeming surprised and shocked. Without warning, he threw back his head and laughed, violently, loudly, as if he'd never found anything truly enjoyable to laugh about before now. Then, to the shock of the entire classroom, he stood up—and left. Just like that. It was time for his work to begin.

GGGGGAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Chapter 7: More Revelations

Laudie had not returned to class that day. She roped Mr. Turner into roping the nurse to send her home for the rest of the day and spent it staring at her black computer screen, wondering. Waiting.

The truth was, she was stuck.

Mr. Turner did not waste time. Five minutes past three, he was there, knocking on the door. Laudie rushed to get it, but it was her father who answered. She froze behind him, too embarrassed to move.

"Can I help you?" Mr. Bell said politely.

"Hello. I'm Laudie's school councilor," Mr. Turner said, equally politely. "She asked me to come over and critique some of her work."

"Dad!" Laudie called. "You know Mr. Turner, surely? He's good with words."

Mr. Bell gave a puzzled look, but let Mr. Turner in. Laudie showed the councilor into her room and turned on the computer.

"So all I have to do is write?" she asked as the machine booted up. Mr. Turner nodded.

"Whatever it is that happens will come." He pointed at the screen. She was up.

She logged into Swordbreaker.

My Story, Non-HP---------> The Hands Of The Poet Please read and and leave feedback. Or I'll sick the Antonym on you!

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; October 8th, 2008 at 11:58 pm.
Old October 12th, 2008, 1:22 am
First Year

Laudie wrote a few sentences. Then stopped, checked the time, and wrote a few more. Erased what she wrote, stared at her wall. Wrote a few more sentences. Looked up a word in an online dictionary, erased what she wrote, and removed her hands from the keyboard.

"What's the matter?" Mr. Turner said, watching with concern.

Laudie spun around to face him. "I"m stuck."

"But you can't be stuck!" Mr. Turner rose from his chair and leaned over her shoulder, glaring at the screen as if it were the computer's fault. "You're writing the future, Laudie. We can't afford for you to be stuck."

"Well, I am," she said crossly. She pushed him away, lifted her hands, then lowered them again. "I need Natalie," she murmured.

"What?"

"Natalie Jameson," she said a little louder. "She's amazing at this kind of thing. She's really good for writer's block."

"Natalie Jameson... I know her. She's always in the office because of headaches."

"Headaches?"

"She gets very bad migraines," Mr. Turner explained. "She's had several MRIs. They were afraid she might have a tumor, but there was nothing. If you're such friends with Natalie, why isn't she in the story?"

Laudie shrugged. "I have no clue. It's like...she just wasn't meant to be there. I'm going to go get her." She stood up, left the house, crossed the street, and knocked on Natalie's door. It was Natalie herself who answered, and after Laudie had explained she needed help with her story (excluding the whole finger thing), Nat was over in an instant.

"What's the situation?" She asked, sitting next to Mr. Turner as Laudie sat at her place at the computer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting close to the end of this part! All we need is for Laudie to finish this update and have a final confrontation!

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; October 12th, 2008 at 1:25 am.
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:41 pm
First Year

"Laudie really needs to get this written," Mr. Turner told her.

"This is the future-story, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Guys!" Laudie said. "Just help me, ok? Don't talk!"

Natalie came up behind her, reading the story over her shoulder. Her fingers moved involuntarily to the keyboard. "It looks to me like you need some action," Natalie told her, while Laudie stared at her fingers, still resting on the keys. "I mean, you had some when Lacey's dad was in that accident, but you still need more to keep the conflict moving. Any ideas?"

Laudie shook her head. Her fingers twitched. Natalie looked over at Mr. Turner, who shook his head. Suddenly, Laudie jumped, allowing her fingers to spring into action. They flew across the keyboard, faster than she'd every seen before. How many words a minute would she be typing if she tested now? One hundred? Two hundred? Nat whistled and Mr. Turner sat up straighter. She typed like a monster for a minute and a half, exactly, then pushed her chair away from the computer, breathing hard. Nat came up behind her and scrolled up, reading as she went. When she was done, she sat down quietly, face looking a little white.

"It has...almost nothing to do with the rest of the story," she said. "Something tells me there never was a story. Only what you thought was one, leading up to this chapter. It has nothing to do with the rest of the story...but everything to do with what happens to us next."

Mr. Turner leaned forward, reading, a look of horror on his face. Laudie, scared at her own creation, hung back. "Would you like me to read it out loud?" he asked quietly. Laudie nodded. He took a shuddering breath and began to read.

Old October 17th, 2008, 4:27 am
First Year

"Jaden invited Lacey to a celebration party. She agreed to go at once without thinking, like the lovesick fool she was. He drove her to his house."

Mr. Turner paused, scanning ahead. "The next few paragraphs describe the games they played....they watched a movie...ah. Here we are. At last, it was time for Lacey to go home. Both teens stood, laughing. Jaden showed her to the door and offered to drive her home, but to both their surprise, a man was already at the doorway. It was their principal, Mr. Kyles." Mr. Turner glanced at Laudie. "My first name is Kyle. You gave me quite a promotion, didn't you?"

"I didn't do anything!" Laudie whispered. "I only wrote it. I had no idea what I was writing." She looked down. "What happens next?"

Natalie turned away. "Jake stabs Mr. Turner," she said frankly. "There's some fluff leading up to it, but that's what happens."

Laudie turned white and stared. "What? Why?"

"Doesn't say. My guess is I was going to be a witness to your murder," said Mr. Turner.

"I'm glad I'm not in this story, now," said Nat, standing to pace the room.

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; October 22nd, 2008 at 3:23 am.
Old October 27th, 2008, 8:57 pm
First Year

Laudie shivered. "But how did I...how can I...How am I doing this?"

"I told you, Laudie. You're a finger," Mr. Turner said.

"Finger?" Natalie asked. Laudie sulked while Mr. Turner explained their position. The phone rang. Laudie listened as her mother answered it, but couldn't make out any words. Worried again, she turned back to Nat and Mr. Turner.

"Can't I undo it?" she asked. "Can't I, like, write that we were saved by Jake's parents, or something?"

Natalie shrugged. "I don't think it works that way. I think we've just got to stay away from Jake for a couple of days."

"But why would Jake—"

"I've been wondering that myself," said Mr. Turner. "I think he's one of his fingers. The Other," he said, seeing Laudie's confused face. "The Dark One, The Negative, The Master. He needs fingers, too, remember."

"What do his fingers do?"

Mr. Turner shrugged. "I've got to go and alert the order. Keep away from him." he stood and left.

Natalie shook her head. "Drat. Headache. I'd better go, too, before this gets any worse."

Laudie found herself alone.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 2:15 am
First Year

well that was interesting, okay, well umm ill see ya later

Old November 2nd, 2008, 4:13 am
First Year

*smacks across face* You know there is a Feedback thread, right?

I'll have an update tomorrow. Watch this space!

Old November 7th, 2008, 2:35 am
First Year

Chapter 8: The Beginning of the End

The next morning, Laudie decided to walk to school with Natalie rather than get a ride from her mom. "We've got a lot to talk about," Laudie said and she smiled and waved good bye. Her mother could only stare in joy. For the first time in what seemed like forever, Laudie had truly recovered.

But Laudie didn't even make it across the street.

"Hey—hey, Casey!" came a voice. A voice that, until yesterday, Laudie would have followed to the ends of the earth. Now, She could only feel her blood running cold as she turned to meet him. Jake.

"Casey! I tried to call you last night, but your mom said you were busy," he said smoothly. "I want to invite you over to my house. My parents are going to be out of town for a couple of days, and I wondered if you and Nat would like to throw a party."

Laudie's heart fluttered once at his voice, but she managed to look at him coolly, and with a straight face said, "I think not, Jake. Sorry. Maybe next time."

Jake looked hurt. "But I thought...I thought you liked me..."

She was not fooled. "Your faces won't work on me anymore, Jake. I know what you are. We can never be together."

He grinned. For the first time, she could see the ferocity in his eyes, the crazed madness of a desperate human with a task to perform. "Are you sure you know, Laudiegirl?"

She winced, but said, "Quite..." she frowned and bit her lip. Suddenly, it was clear. "Deceiver," she hissed.

He laughed. Laudie was instantly very, very afraid.

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; November 7th, 2008 at 2:39 am.
Old November 11th, 2008, 5:43 pm
First Year

"So you're not as oblivious as you seem to be," Jake said. He grabbed her arm rather roughly and started to lead her away from the school.

"Let go of me," Laudie said, struggling. The wind picked up and roared through the air.

"Not even for an instant," Jake answered her. "And call off your precious wind. She can't help you now."

The wind, thought Laudie. Moriah. That's it. "Fetch Nat," she whispered. The wind vanished in an instant. "Where are we going then?" Laudie asked, trying to remember ways of getting away from a captor and fighting waves of panic and deja vu.

"To my house, of course. I figured we could play some games, maybe watch a movie. You know, just hang out, like a normal couple. Before I kill you, I mean. I'd rather this be taken care of before you come into full power."

They came to his truck. Laudie kicked his shins. He released her in pain and she ran. She didn't get far, thought, before she ran into a smiling young girl. She looked about seven years old. "Hi," the girl said. "What's your name?"

"Casey," Laudie said, stopping and gasping for breath. "Where are your parents? You should be with them. It's not dangerous alone on the street."

"I could tell you the same thing," the girl said. Laudie thought this was an odd thing for such a young person to say, but didn't think anything of it. Jake came up over the hill.

"Run, kid," she gasped, taking off.

"Wait!" the girl cried, running after her.

Old December 1st, 2008, 4:08 am
First Year

I finished NaNoWriMo with two hundred words to spare, so I thought I'd throw in an update just to make things even sweeter.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Laudie ignored the girl and kept running. Where she was going to run, she didn't know, but she knew she had to get out and fast. As she ran, she pulled out her cell phone and dialed the first number she could think of.

"Hello?" It was Natalie.

"Nat?" Laudie said breathlessly. "Nat, Jake's after me."

"Whoa. Slow down. Where are you?"

"I'm—" At that instant a shriek filled the air, so high pitched and loud that it forced Laudie to her knees. She had a headache and her ears were pounding. She tried to stand up, but the shriek came again. The glass ball over the bulb on the lamp post ahead of her shattered. Jake and the girl came up to her. Jake grabbed her cell phone and threw it unceremoniously behind him. The girl giggled.

"Thanks, Lobia," he said, pulling Laudie roughly to her feet and forcing her to walk back towards the car.

The little girl giggled again. "Hello, Reader. I'm Lobia, the Antonym's left thumb and embodiment of sound."

Laudie closed her eyes, tears streaming down her face. She was trapped.
-------------------------------------------------
I'll try to go back to updating fairly regularly now that NaNo is over, but I can't make any promises. Hope you like it and sorry about the super shortness.

Old December 31st, 2008, 3:08 am
First Year

I'm thoroughly ashamed of myself for procrastinating so much with this. From now on, expect updates often, weekly or bi-weekly, mainly. Starting now.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Laudie was tied to a chair in Jake's basement, with Lobia next to him, giggling unceasingly. Her smile seemed a little forced now.

"Come on, Deceiver. Just kill her and get it over with. This is no time for games. The Master will be here any minute now, and he expects the job to be done," she insisted, tugging on his sleeve.

Jake smiled coolly. "We've only been here half a minute, Lobia. There's always time for games."

"The longer we have her, the more time for her to come."

"Are you afraid of the Poet, Sound?" Laudie taunted, wriggling her wrists.

The little girl flipped her hair in a haughty way. "I? Never! Are you afraid of a little whisssssssssssssssper like myself?" The s sound transformed into a deafening hiss in Laudie's ears. She gasped and shook her head in sudden pain.

"See? Now you're playing games." Jake chuckled and took a step forward.

"Laudie?" Someone whispered in her ear, so quietly no one else could have heard it. "No, don't say anything." A strong, golden hand touched her cheek. "I'm invisible to them as long as you don't draw attention to me. My name is Antares. I'm The Lady's Cosmic thumb. You're My Lady's Reader, which means you have cosmic power, making you my responsibility. Natalie and Mr. Turner are at the door, and Moriah at the windows. They're going to distract Jake and Lobia while I get you out of here, understand? Just blink."

Laudie blinked, relief and fear seeping into her bones. Mr. Turner was going to be killed, just as she'd written! She couldn't find any way of warning Antares of this without alerting Jake and Lobia, however, and when she looked to her side, the man was gone.

"What are you looking at?" Jake asked, taking another step forward and pulling out a gun.

"N-nothing," she said.

The doorbell rang.
__________________________________________________ __________

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; January 5th, 2009 at 3:33 am. Reason: Because I'm stupid and clearly can't remember what exactly was written.
Old January 4th, 2009, 7:47 pm
First Year

Chapter 9: Toma Vitalei

Laudie struggled against the ropes binding her to the chair.

"Who is that?" Lobia hissed, outraged.

Jake frowned and pointed the gun in Laudie's direction. "Reader. Who did you write would come and save you?" Laude didn't say a word. "ANSWER ME!"

Laudie jumped and cringed as he raised his voice. She bit her lip. Natalie was at the door as well, and she didn't know what was going to happen to her. It was best if she said nothing.

Lobia chuckled. "Transfixion, Jake dear, means force is not your strong point. Charm her, don't scream at her."

The doorbell rang again. "In a moment," Jake called. He moved to Laudie's side and draped an arm around her shoulders. Laudie flinched. Jake kissed her cheek. Immediately she felt both relaxed and mortified. "Now, now, Laudie," he murmured in her ear, his voice lingering on the corners of her mind. "Tell me, please. Who came to save Lacey?"

"M-mr. Turner," she said without thinking. "And you stabbed him."

Jake laughed then. "But of course. And on the slant, a stab wound could mean a bullet." He walked to the door.

The windows began to rattle violently and Moriah materialized in the room. "Deceiver. Why didn't I see it before? And Lobia, how positively enchanting to see you again."

"Take care of the wind, Sound," Jake said, hiding the gun behind his back. Moriah knocked Lobia over with a blast that shook the whole house before she could utter a word. Laudie briefly wondered why she didn't do the same to Jake.

Jake, meanwhile, was opening the door. "Yes?" he answered smoothly. Laudie could see Mr. Turner standing there, but not Nat.

Antares appeared next to Laudie at that moment and pulled out a knife to cut her loose. The instant she was loose, she stood up, trying to reach the door. Antares put his hand on her shoulder and forced her back into the chair. "Reader," he whispered. "Moriah and I can't use our strongest powers against the Antonym's fingers, but you can. Raise your writing hand and drop it fast."

"But Antares-"

"Quickly!"

At that moment, Jake's playful conversation with Mr. Turner seemed to end and he raised his revolver, cocked and ready to shoot. "Now... you die."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Again...

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:48 pm
First Year

"NOW!" Mr. Turner screamed. Out of nowhere, Natalie flew through the door and tackled Jake's knees. His arm went down and the gun went off, blowing a hole in the floor. Mr. Turner ran in, kicking the gun from his hands. Jake rose, face red with fury. He had pulled a knife out of his pocket and grabbed Natalie.

"Laudie, DO IT!" Antares yelled, startling Jake into dropping the knife. Natalie kicked him in the shins and ran across the room.

A shrill hum began to rise through the air. Moriah dropped to her knees, screaming in agony and flickering shapes faster than the eye could follow as Lobia screamed, almost too high pitched for hearing. Antares was cringing wildly, fighting to control his actions as the sound drove him mad. The sound didn't bother Laudie all that much, though. Jake shook his head as if to shoo away a fly, but otherwise he seemed fine. Nat, too, was doing no more than crying, and Mr. Turner was just trying to keep Jake away from his weapon.

"Laudie!" he yelled. "Do as the gold man said! We can't win without your help!"

Laudie thrust her right hand into the air and brought in down swiftly. Nothing happened. "It didn't work!"

"Palm...p-palm up," Antares gasped.

She turned her hand over and repeated the gesture. And to her surprise, a book fell into her hand.

At that moment, a dark figure appeared at the window. Lobia closed her mouth and she and Jake looked to to door. The bell rang. Jake jumped and ran forward to open it.

Into the room stepped the most frightening person Laudie had ever seen. He was tall and well-built, with oiled-back brown hair, icy blue eyes and his mouth twisted into a cruel grin. He wore a gray suit and carried a cane. Behind him stood a fiery-haired woman who looked to be in her early twenties. She had red-brown skin and vivid amber eyes. Jake and Lobia gasped and dropped to one knee, heads bowed.

"Oh no," Mr. Turner said, staring at him as Antares went to stand by Laudie and Moriah placed herself between the man at the door and him and Natalie. "I think we've lost. That's... that's the Antonym!"

The Antonym's eyes moved to Mr. Turner. "Hello, Swan Member," he said casually. Then he faced Laudie and frowned at the book in her hands. "And what have you got there?"

A familiar sensation filled Laudie's mind. It reminded her of the first night she sat down to write. Once again, she felt herself seizing up. That laughing voice she now recognized as The Poet's, or The Muse's as the Reader in her knew her fell into her ear. "Do your duty, Laudie. Read." it said.

Laudie, not turning away from The Antonym, opened her book.

Old January 15th, 2009, 7:54 pm
First Year

*This one might be short, as I am freezing and have chores. It's one degree over here and we got out of school because the High School has no heat. It's shameful. Anyway...

"Aw, a Reader," The Antonym said sarcastically. "Fresh off the printing press, too, by the looks of her. Nice try, my Lady, but I doubt that one little finger is going to stop me. Are you going to come yourself, or are you going to leave children to do your job for you?"

A light appeared in a window. It was cool and blue and reminded Laudie of the moon. A voice—her voice—echoed through the room. "Oh, I'm here, Antonym. Ready and waiting. But you always did underestimate the power of a budding finger. Go ahead, Laudie."

Without warning, the Antonym shot forward, equally as quickly Laudie jumped out of the way. She looked down at the open book in her hands. The words were twisted and unfamiliar, but as she watched they slowly moved on the page to form sounds and syllables she could pronounce. She began to speak.

She didn't know what she was reading, but whatever it was, it appeared to be working. Within five seconds, Jake had begun to twitch uncontrollably. "Stop it," she heard Lobia whisper to him.

"I- c-can-n't," Jake said back, face twisting in pain. He let out a cry and dropped to his knees, clutching his stomach. Lobia screamed, trying to wrench everyone's attention away, but her scream was silenced after only a few moments and she leaned against the wall, panting.

The red-haired Halley dropped next, but not before setting fire to half the furniture. Mr. Turner and Natalie rushed to put it out before all the house was burning. The Antonym shivered, but otherwise did not move.

"Is that the best you can do?" he screamed.

The Poet stepped through the wall into the room. "Step down, Karsend," she said coldly, staring at the Antonym. "We've won this round."

A look of rage flashed through the Antonym's eyes. "This round, perhaps," he said shortly. He said to words and was gone, as were Jake, Lobia, and Halley.

"I think perhaps we should go as well," said the Muse. "We have much to talk about, and little time to do it in, if we are to get Laudie and Natalie to school before people begin to worry."

Old January 20th, 2009, 5:08 pm
First Year

This is the last post in part one, so it will be long. I'll go back to short posts after this.
_---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Muse jerked her head out the door and left, walking through the wall. Moriah vanished in a puff of smoke and floated out the window. Antares wrapped one big golden arm around Laudie's shoulders and smiled at the others. "We'd best do as she says." They all followed out the door.

The instant they were out of the room, Laudie broke free and ran up to The Muse. "What is this book?" she asked, holding it up.

The Muse smiled and tapped the spine, where a title was swiftly appearing in silver. Toma Vitalei, it read. "It's pronounced Tome-uh Vi-tall-ay," she said, running her fingers up and down the spine. "It is the Book of Life...yet not exactly the book of life at the same time. Everything that lives and breathes upon the earth has an entry in this book. All you need to do is find the right page and you can bend just about anything to your will. But it takes time and causes pain to the foolish user. You must be wise in your use of this very powerful book, my Reader."

"Me? But why me?"

"The Toma Vitalei is the Reader's responsibility. You must keep it and keep it well. And you are the only one on earth who can read it. Do you understand?"

Laudie nodded and looked down at the book. It didn't look like much, just a thick, black, hardcover book. Her fingers tingled when she held it. She pulled it close to her, then on an impulse, dropped it. Mr. Turner let out a cry of dismay from behind her, but as she expected, the book disappeared before hitting the ground. Laudie nodded again. "Okay," she said and went to stand by Natalie.

"I have a question," Natalie said timidly, stepping forward. "What is important about Laudie's story and why wasn't I in it?"

"The Reader has a power to help her with the Toma." Antares answered this time. "This power is the ability to write the future—but on the slant. "

"Huh?" Nat said.

Antares sighed and sketched a horizontal line in the dirt before him. "Imagine this line is the truth." He drew another line parallel to that one, underneath. "Now imagine this is falsehood. When most stories are written, they tend to follow this pattern." He drew a wavy line running around and under falsehood. "They tend to be more make-believe than anything else, but some parts mirror the truth. If one had the power of prophecy, this is how it would run." He drew a vertical line that stopped when it hit falsehood. "Laudie's stories are a mix of story and prophecy, of truth and lies." He drew a diagonal line that began above truth and ended far below falsehood, then stood up and admired his work. "This means that while Laudie's stories did come true, not all the details are technical. I don't know why you weren't in them."

"I do," The Muse said. "I have some limited foresight available for use—it comes from being the Muse—and I didn't see you at all, anywhere. I knew what you were when you tackled Jake. You, Natalie Jameson, are simply invisible."

Natalie and Laudie exchanged looks. Moriah sighed. "It means that to things like fate and destiny, you don't exist, Natalie. When Laudie writes her stories, they are written from the perspective that you were never born."

"There are so many people in the world, sometimes a few get overlooked. Those few select people have a very important ability—the ability to forge their own destinies without silly things like presets and prophecies barring the way," The Muse said. "Most of them are more than invisible, however. I wouldn't be surprised if you turned out to be another finger. Though whose finger, I would not know." She cast a stern, appraising glance at Natalie, who shivered.

Antares stepped forward and cleared his throat. "My Lady, I need to be back up in the sky in a few minutes. My time's almost up."

"Yes, yes of course. Thank you for reminding me." She nodded her head gracefully to Laudie and tapped Natalie's head. "Stay good, girls. Moriah, stay and watch over them. I need to stalk Karsend for a while, to see what he'll do next." She turned around and began to disappear.

"Wait!" Mr. Turner dashed forward and knelt at her feet. The Muse stopped and looked down. "I've waited all my life to see you, My Lady. All my time in the Order has been devoted to you alone. We grow stronger every time you appear. But we are losing our younger members. They do not believe you will ever return. Please, I beg of you. Present yourself before our council and announce that you still care for us."

The Muse took his hands and pulled him to his feet. "Kyle Turner, I will try. But you must understand. This struggle is worth more than any other we have ever been in before. We will need all the help and time we can get. I may not be able to see the Order through this. The Antonym has targeted the western world for a reason and I need to know why and when he will strike. I will be all but absent for a long while, gathering allies and information both. You must be ready for that."

"Then tell me what to do," he said firmly. "Tell me where to do, how I can serve."

The Must smiled. "I already have." She nodded to Antares, who vanished in a bolt of fire, flying up to the sky. Moriah was already invisible, and from the way the wind was blowing, long gone. Now, The Muse herself vanished in a flash of light. Mr. Turner and the girls looked around, searching, but she was no where to be seen.

Ghostly laughter echoed through the air, laughter Laudie recognized instantly as Hers. "Stay the course," came a sweet, whispery voice. "Light a star. Change the world where're you are."

End of Part I

Old January 24th, 2009, 1:30 am
First Year

I've decided to center parts and chapters now. Just to warn you. So.

Part Two: Running With Wolves

Chapter 1: Two Weeks Later

The street was dark and lonely. Laudie was terrified, even with the thought of the Toma in her possession, that something might at any moment jump out of the shadows and steal her away. It was that sort of deep and shadowy night. She looked above her. Moriah was floating overhead, half human and half wind. The Wind looked down at her now and smiled. Laudie smiled back. As spooky as it was to see Moriah traveling like that—half insubstantial and the rest of her transparent— Laudie was soothed by her presence.

The two didn't speak much as they went. The Muse had ordered them to come into the alley about three blocks down from Laudie's house. She had information that could change their methods of striking at the Antonym. It had been guess, hit, miss, and retreat warfare so far, none of which was very effective and none of which involved The Muse personally. She had business elsewhere, the most recent of which being an appeal for help from the Ocean Lords. Now, Moriah and Laudie both wished they were anywhere but here. The Muse had not sounded pleased by her discovery. Both Band Finger and Terra Thumb feared the news their Lady might have.

Moriah suddenly stopped and shivered. Laudie didn't notice and kept walking. "Wait," the wind said. "Did you feel that?"

Laudie looked at her, an expression of confusion on her face. "Feel what?"

Moriah shook her head. "Something isn't right. Hang on and I'll go check it out. Summon your book." She blinked out of sight completely and a gust of wind charged through the alley. Laudie shrugged. She deftly pinched her right thumb and index finger—or Power finger, as she was beginning to call it, because of Antares' lessons with her— and pulled her hand down, releasing the pinch with a skilled motion. The Toma Vitalei fell, glowing, into her hand.

Moriah returned. "Nothing there. Very strange. I was sure I felt—"

"Heads up," Laudie said, pointing to a spark in the shadows.

The Muse walked into view, a bright light radiating from above her right hand. "A moonbeam," she said as Laudie stared at it. "And hello to you too, my Reader." She nodded her head to Moriah, who had gone completely human and was bowing. "Rise, Moriah. I'm afraid the news I bear is not good. The Antonym—" she broke off and shuddered. "What was that?"

"What was what?" Laudie asked, frustrated. She looked all around the alley, trying to find the source of her friends' anxiety. Staring past the Muse, she thought she saw the shadowy figure of a person. She squinted at it, trying to make out what it could be.

The Muse shook her head and wrapped her hand around the silver moonbeam, causing it to vanish. "Something isn't right. I wonder if—"

"My Lady, look out!" Laudie screamed, throwing herself in front of the Muse, pulling her book into her chest. A large stream of blue fire shot from the figure in the shadows, aimed directly at the Muse, who had turned aside at Laudie's shriek. It struck Laudie full-force and flung the Reader backwards several feet where she landed with a sickening thud on the concrete.

"Laudie!" The Muse screamed, running toward the fallen girl, Moriah close at her heels. She held her fingers to Laudie's now freezing wrists. Laudie wasn't breathing and had no pulse.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll stop now in case it's getting too scary. More later!

I loved it when you said you wanted short posts. Because THIS is the result!

Old January 27th, 2009, 1:17 am
First Year

A cold laugh sounded from the darkness. Two teenage boys stepped into view. One of them was Jake.

"Tom! Come on, we've been practicing for a week! Your aim can't possibly be that bad. You were supposed to hit the Mistress, not the Servant!"

"Not my fault," said the boy called Tom. Tom moved like a lion, and Jake had to jog to keep up with him. "My aim was flawless. The girl jumped in front. And, hey, I hit one didn't I?"

The Poet stood, tears shimmering on her face, suddenly wearing a toga-like dress with fluttery short sleeves and bearing a longbow. "An-antares," she called, still crying.

"Too bad, too," Jake continued as the boys loped onward. "I was hoping for a kiss from Laudiegirl before we killed her."

"Now, now. Behave yourselves, boys," said the chilling voice of the Antonym. The man himself came up behind them and placed a hand on each of their shoulders. He was closely followed by his Thumbs, Halley and Lobia.

Antares appeared at the Poet's side, golden and gleaming. "You called, My Lady?" There was a short pause as he noticed the enemies in front of him. "Oh. I see. Shall we fire at will, then?" he asked cheerfully.

"Go ahead," Moriah said, pointing to Laudie but not looking away from The Antonym. "They already did."

Antares gasped in pain as he saw the girl and threw the first fireball. Within instants, the alley became a warzone. Moriah turned completely insubstantial and blew through like a hurricane, fighting to do all she could to drown out any sound Lobia might make. Antares viciously attacked the fingers, but the limits on his powers to fingers hurt his chances of doing any actual damage. The Poet shot arrow after arrow, sometimes at The Antonym, sometimes at the mystery finger Tom, but in her head she already knew. She had lost. Not even yet at full power and she had lost again. She clenched her teeth against the thought. Another century in that room. Away from people. She'd go mad, this time.

A strange mumbling suddenly filled the air. Everyone stopped fighting and looked at Lobia. Moriah had been prohibiting her from speech until now. But Lobia seemed just as surprised as the rest of them to hear a sound that they weren't making. As they listened, the mumbling escalated into a steady chanting in a weak and other worldly voice. Suddenly, Halley and Moriah simultaneously dropped to their knees and screamed. Lobia stared into the distance, mouth gaping, stunned into silence. Tom and Jake stared at each other, then slowly turned pale and began to choke. Antares dropped next. Then both The Lady and The Antonym felt a sickly ache in the pit of their stomachs.

The Antonym doubled over. "Everyone out!" he yelled and disappeared. Tom, Jake, Halley, and Lobia vanished after that. Immediately the pain subsided.

Moriah stood and walked to The Muse, who had a concerned look on her face. Antares, panting, stood up and asked, "What was that, My Lady?"

"I'm sorry, guys," came a weak voice from behind them. "I didn't really have time to pick a specific target."

All three whirled around, crying out. There was Laudie, eyes wide and haunted. The Toma Vitalei laid open in her arms.
See? I can be nice.

Old February 13th, 2009, 8:49 pm
First Year

"Laudie!" All three ran to her side, shocked and delighted. "I thought you were dead!" Moriah added, falling to her knees.

Laudie chuckled weakly as the others sat next to her. "So did I, until I woke up." She winced and tried to sit up. Antares put out his arm and she leaned on it gratefully. The Muse gently pulled the Toma out of her hands and turned the book over. The cover was scorched and smoking, but quickly repairing itself.

"You did a smart thing, Laudie, pulling that in front of you like that," The Muse said thoughtfully. "I think the impact and heat from the fire stopped your heart for a moment, but the book took the brunt of it. That was however, not just fire he threw at you."

"What do you mean?" Laudie asked, sitting and stretching.

Moriah looked away. Anatares became increasingly interested in the sidewalk. Laudie bit her lip. Whatever was wrong was not good at all. The Poet sighed. "It was fire imbued with magic. The book took most of the magic, but not all of it. It's going to make you sick. Very sick. I... I'm sorry, Laudie."

Laudie closed her eyes. She could deal with it. Whatever happened, she could deal with it. She always did. She took the Toma Vitalei from The Poet and sent it away. The others stood. "Didn't you have news for us?" she asked The Muse.

The Lady chuckled darkly. "Actually, yes. My news was that Antares has located his second Finger; his Destroyer."

"Can you stand?" Moriah asked.

To her shame, Laudie could not. The Muse scooped her up and began to carry her down the street. The Reader blushed furiously and ignored her. Antares and Moriah followed her away. Suddenly Antares stopped and blushed as darkly as Laudie. "Um...My Lady?"

They stopped and turned back to the star. "What is it, Antares?" The Poet asked.

He pointed at her clothes. "You're calling someone, My Lady."

The Poet looked down at her dress and sandals. "Oh no," she said. "Moriah, can you—"

"Too late, My Lady," Moriah said pointing into the darkness. "They're here."

Old February 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm
First Year

A large group of people were coming forward. All of them were women and all were dressed exactly like The Poet was; the same knee-length cotton dresses with fluttering short sleeves, same Roman-like sandals, same leather breastplates. They also had two sheathed knives each and unstrung bows strapped onto their backs. Each had only one thing The Lady did not; a pendant in the shape of a paw print on a silver chain around their necks. The only difference between their clothing were the colors of their dresses. A younger woman, the only one wearing white, stepped forward. "My Lady Huntress," she said in a stern, wild voice, bowing to The Poet.

The Poet sighed. "Take Laudie, Antares." She handed the protesting Laudie to Antares and stepped toward the woman.

"Huntress?" Laudie asked Antares. "What's going on? Who are they?"

Antares looked grim. "They are part of an aspect of My Lady I had hoped you would not see in a long time. They are My Lady's Pack."

"Yes, Lenore?" The Poet addressed the woman in white.

"My Lady Huntress, we're growing impatient. You owe us a sweep. We're due in St. Louis, Missouri in two days and we want you to lead us!" the woman, Lenore, snapped.

"What does the Pack do, exactly?" Laudie hissed to Antares.

"Hunt," he answered her, face grim. "They hunt all sorts of things. Their primary targets are human, however."

"Lenore, a new war has begun. I can't lead you," The Muse pleaded. "I have to attend a conference of the Ocean Lords. We need support."

"We'll take Moriah along, then," Lenore said, determined. Moriah shook her head.

"I must accompany our Lady," she said. "I am the only one who can venture underwater with her."

The Poet bit her lip. Slowly she turned to face Antares. "Oh, my dear star..."

Antares went stiff, and his eyes deadened. "No. Never."

Lenore crossed her arms and looked sulky. "I'd much rather prefer no leader at all, My Huntress, than be led by a man."

"We can't have this right now, you two. You know that." The Muse shook her head and motioned Antares forward. "Now, the Pack must have a leader in times of war. You know the risks, Lenore. And I must have a regent because it is impossible for me to go right now. It falls on you, Antares."

"But...someone must watch Laudie," Antares said desperately.

"I'll be fine," Laudie said, confused and disgusted at the thought of having a babysitter at her age, celestial or not.

"There you have it," The Muse said, though she didn't sound sure. Antares made a terrible face at them all.

"I assure you, star," Lenore said, sounding about as repulsed as Antares looked. "We shall enjoy this no more than you will."

((Oh, ick. Longer than I wanted it to be. Oh well. End of...this is still chapter one, right? Ok, end of chapter one.))

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; February 18th, 2009 at 11:43 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella