Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella

The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of story

Old March 19th, 2008, 11:49 pm
First Year

The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of story

She saw him the instant he had stepped into the room.

{Yes, there is more, but for reasons you will soon see, I need right away feedback before I can continue. Please answer me so I can move on to the next part}

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2008, 8:59 pm
First Year

Re: The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of s

Prologue

Moriah's face was as grim as a pallbearer's as she limped up to her mistress and inclined her head gracefully. It was as much of a bow as she could manage now. The present situation was too pressing to observe all the niceties of court.

"Moriah, what has happend?" Her mistress said, the urgency in her voice banishing all disproving grumbles from the courtiers. She recognized the serious look in her servant and friend's face well enough to know something was terribly wrong.

"There is... activity... in the west, My Lady Poet," Moriah answered, smiling at the morbid irony. She knew it was very clear to the Poet that there was activity in the west, and what kind of activity too, by the bloodied West Swamp arrow protruding from Moriah's pack.

Laughter played in the mistress' eyes for a short moment before she noticed the sickening mixture of blood and cool air trickling down the young woman's calf. "I won't keep you long in this form, my Nymph. Do you think that it could be our old Friend trying to stir up trouble?"

Moriah tensed her weakening leg, but made no reply. Instead, she pulled the arrow from her bag, plucked the paper off the tip, and passed it to the Poet.

The message bore no words, only a royal insignia. The mistress' eyes drained of color and she revealed the seal to her audience. Everyone paled and several ladies fainted. There was no mistaking it. The paper bore the mark of The Antonym. All looked to their Lady to tell them what to do as to unconscious maidens were carried away.

"So Karsend is at it again, is he?" she murmured to herself. Once again smiling, she threw open her arms and addressed the hall. "You know what you are to do. I need a regent. Cosmos turn. Will Alpha Centuri do?" No one contradicted her.

"My Lady?" Moriah whispered, eyes glazing over in pain.

"Sorry, Moriah. I release you from the pain of humanity. Assume your true form."

Moriah closed her eyes, relaxing. The fire roared briefly as wind burst through the hall and Moriah disappeared. The breeze floated up to the ceiling before drifting down and hanging around the Poet.

"Will you accompany me?" the mistress whispered to it, smiling with pleasure though her heart was heavy. "It seems I am in need of a new pair of Hands after all."

Old April 4th, 2008, 10:50 pm
First Year

Re: The Hands of the Poet: A different kind of story

At Last, we reach

PART 1: The Reader

Chapter 1

Casey, called Laudie, was picked up from high school, like always. She turned away from her mother and pressed her forehead against the cool window. The car had not yet warmed, and as she sighed a puff of steam flew from her lips.

"Hello, honey," her mother said nervously. Nothing else was said as they passed through the parking lot and hit the highway. "How was school today?" she finally asked to break the endless silence.

Her mother slowly counted to five as she waited for an answer, then plastered a huge fake smile on her face. She hadn't really expected a reply anyway. Casey didn't see it. She paused and slowly raised and lowered her shoulders into a small shrug.

Her mother blinked away a tear. It was the most she was going to get. It was the most she'd gotten every day since Casey's accident, so she was extremely surprised to hear a very low, very emotionless voice mutter, "English teacher made us work in pairs today."

"Really?" Her mother said, a true smile replacing the false one. A response, a real response, not just a shrug. "What were you doing?"

For the longest time, it didn't seem as if Casey would say anything at all. After a minute, she muttered, "Started writing stories."

"Who did..." her mother continued cautiously, aware of the shaky ground she was on. "Who did you work with?"

"...Natalie."

"Natalie? Natalie Jameson from across the street?" Casey shrugged. Her mother knew it wasn't a good idea to press her, but she couldn't stop herself from adding, "Did you like working in pairs?"

There was no pause this time. "Sort of. I liked... the writing."

"You did?"

Casey nodded. "It felt... right somehow."

As they were pulling into the driveway, her mother decided to throw caution to the winds. "You know, if you liked the writing that much, why don't you try to write more? Maybe you could put something on one of those reader fiction sites you're always on. It's a good way to give back to the people who write the work you read."

"Yeah. Sure."

But despite the semi-sarcastic words, she was still contemplating what her mother had said when she was on one of those very same websites. Her personal favorites, in fact, or it had been before. The past few years, everything seemed to have run together.

It was formally called The Pen Is Mightier, but most of its fans called it Swordbreaker. It was one of the few places where people who loved to write—the good and the bad, the published and the unpublished, of all genres—could write and be read; not for money or fame, but just the sheer love of writing. She scanned down the list, searching for old favorites that had been updated. She shivered. Her room was colder at night. Halfway down the list, she stopped, got up from her computer, sat down at her empty desk and decided to write a story. She pulled a blank notebook and a pencil toward herself, turned to the first page, poised her pencil over the clean paper and froze. What now? she thought.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note

I'm going to stop this one here for now. A fair sized update for those of you who like my story. I can't count all the times I've been in Laudie's exact position.

Anyway, If you like it, if you hate it, if you're confused and in need of an explanation, or just notice something the spell-checker didn't pick up, let me know in Feedback. I need replies after a certain point of this before I can continue.

Old May 17th, 2008, 2:28 am
First Year

Re: The Hands of the Poet (Title pending and subject to change) A different kind of s

This is for you, secunda, and all other unrevealed fans.

Laudie tried to remember what she and Natalie had done earlier that day. Natalie had started the story with a sentence. Then added another. Then another. Then frowned and scratched out the first sentence and stared at the paper, chewing her lip. Laudie had been content to sit back and watch everyone else groan over their papers, but at this point she became confused. What had gone wrong so early in the story? She became curious and turned the paper ever so slightly to read what Natalie had written. Her partner glanced up and read her expression with surprising speed and accuracy.

"It started wrong," she had said brightly, tapping her pencil on the desk. "They always do. Trust me, I know. I write at home to pass the time." Her eyes had suddenly flickered over the paper. She started gently and wrote two whole block paragraphs without coming up for breath. She threw down her pencil and slid the paper to Laudie. "Tell me what you think." Laudie raised an eyebrow at her. "Of course I'm not finished yet," Natalie said, correctly interpreting the look. "I just wanted to see what you thought."

Laudie read it briskly. It was very good. She passed it back with a small smile of approval. Natalie beamed. It was not every day someone got Laudie to smile.

"What do you think should happen next?" Natalie asked. Laudie just shrugged. Natalie shrugged in answer and turned back to the story, writing furiously, finishing the front and half the back page. She reread it, eyes darting from one line to the next, growing darker with each word. "No," she said sadly at the end. "That won't work." She crumpled it up and set it aside.

Laudie picked it up and smoothed it out, reading. She suddenly grunted in surprise and tapped Natalie on the shoulder. "Would it work if you moved this here?'' she asked timidly, gesturing at the paper.

Natalie read the passages and gasped, reading them again. She looked up at Laudie. "Perfectly. It would work perfectly. You've got an eye for words." She pulled her desk alongside Laudie's and tossed the page into the trash can. "Let's see what else you can do."

And for the rest of the hour they worked on a new story, looking over each other's shoulders and switching hands so many times Laudie got dizzy. By the end of class they had more than three pages to everyone else's few paragraphs. Natalie knew just what to say to get the words out of Laudie and onto the page. She wheedled, pressed, dared, challenged, coaxed, bribed, and tempted; anything to get at the words.

Laudie imitated Natalie now, trying everything she could think of to start a decent story. She started and stopped nearly a dozen on half a dozen topics before she finally found one she thought would work
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And that's where I'm going to leave you for now. Sorry!!! Don't forget to post in Feedback. I'll bump it for you!

Laudie logged back onto Swordbreaker, hit the "Start New Story" button, and began to type. The more she typed, however, the more Laudie realized that something wasn't right. Scowling, she deleted everything and stared scornfully at the computer screen.

A sudden gust of wind rocked the house. Laudie's curtains fluttered. Her spine prickled. She felt as though someone-or something-had just entered her room. Yet when she looked, she was alone. Terrified, she went back to staring at the blank screen. Something laughed within her, and around her in the room. She turned again to find the intruder, only to find she could not bring herself to look. Something like a dull roar was building up around her. Laudie felt something move toward her. The thing leaned down, brushing her hair slightly. She felt warm breath on her cheek, and yet could see nothing. The roar had grown to the point of a huge gong being struck over Laudie's head, bordering unbearable. She froze, too scared to move. The something giggled in her ear in a strange way that made the giggle echo in her brain. "She saw him," it whispered, nad the words spoken were murmured simultaneously by the giggling force in her head.

As they both laughed, Laudie made a desperate lunge for the keyboard and typed as quickly as she could, She saw him the instant he had stepped into the room.

Immeadiately, all fell quiet.

Laudie sat back, gasping, touching her face where the thing had breathed. There was nothing there now. She glared at the computer. "What can I do with that?" she muttered darkly to herself in wonder.

Something much less dramatic was now building up. She could feel it. Just as she was erase the sentence, her mother called her for dinner. The strange feeling was broken. Laudie lowered her hands down to her sides and glared at the door. Her mother called again. She left the room, brushing the mouse as she did so. She would take care of the rest after dinner.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Ooh. tension.* And that's all there is for now. Enjoy!

Felis Draconis Among The Tame NaNoWriMo 2008

My Story, Non-HP---------> The Hands Of The Poet Please read and and leave feedback. Or I'll sick the Antonym on you!

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; May 17th, 2008 at 6:38 pm. Reason: my computer is insane.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:27 pm
First Year

Chapter 2

The Poet paused at the edge of the wood, surveying the town below her. She was frowning. After her long ago thousand years of confinement, she hated being alone. She held out her right hand, thumb slightly bent. "Antares," She called in a strong, commanding voice.

There was a short blast of light and standing next to her was a man. He was huge. He much resembled an old comic book/pixel computer game viking; all massive, rounded muscle. He was only wearing a large pair of fur boots and a large Conan-like fur loincloth. His skin, however, had a golden tint in the sunlight. He laughed, tossed his shaggy yellow hair back, and crossed his arms over his chest.

"You called, My Lady?" he asked cheerfully. Something echoed through his voice, as if he were speaking through a microphone in a cathedral. Before the Poet could say anything, the wind rustled and Moriah appeared on the Mistress' other side.

"Star," she said tersely to Antares, giving a small bow.

"Gale," he answered with another laugh, returning the gesture.

"What news, Moriah?" the Poet interrupted.

"The town is safe for now, My Lady." Moriah glared at the man and massaged her injured leg.

"What exactly might you be looking for?"Antares asked.

"You've heard the news, I'm sure?"Moriah said coldly.

"The Antonym?" He looked at his Mistress in slight fear as both she and Moriah nodded.

"I'm not looking for anything yet, Antares, save relief from your bickering and a safe place to start. I have a job for you. Alpha Centuri shall be my reagent. If he is too busy, ask Rigel."

"Yes, My La-" The golden messenger was cut short by a loud drum-beat echoing through the forest. For stark fear of being seen, Antares flickered into a mere point of light and flew out of sight as Moriah swiftly disintegrated into a strong wind that rocked the town. The Poet quietly stepped backwards and became part of a tree behind her. Something glowed and stalked, invisible to a mortal's eyes, through the trees into the town. The tree that held the Poet shook as she started and turned to watch the glowing object.

"Well would you look at that," she said to herself. "I wonder if that might be—Sing To Me, Oh, Muse." At the last sentence a spirit shard-a piece of the Muse piece of her spirit-lept lightly from the tree and dashed towards the glowing figure. Halfway into the town, the shard stopped and turned through the wall into the nearest house. The Poet winced as she felt it whisper into a floundering writer's ear. It disappeared after the first sentence was complete—and the drum-beating stopped as well.

She came out of the tree and turned to her servants and friends. Both were in human form and both had forgotten their quarrel in the face of a common enemy. She extended her arms to them, as a mother would her children, and they ran into them. As they pulled away, she remembered where she had recognized what had happened. "A Quickening!"

Moriah and Antares looked at her. "A Quickening?" Moriah asked. "So soon? Why? And just whose Quickening was it?"

"Perhaps this fight has more at stake than those of the past." The Poet turned and waved her hands at Antares. "Go. Fly quickly. Time is, now more than ever, of the essence."

"My Lady! Look!" he said suddenly, catching her right hand and pulling it towards them. On her bear finger (ring finger), the outline of a ring shimmered.

"And that, Moriah," she said with a smile, "would answer your second question. Go, Antares and with my blessing."

The embodiment of the star Antares vanished, shooting off into the heavens.

"Moriah," the Poet asked grimly. "Did you see that light?" Moriah nodded. "Find it, find out what it is and what it wants, and then tell me. Oh, and—" She tapped the ring outline. "Keep an eye open for my reader."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now you've met the Lady Poet's cohorts, Moriah (colloquial word for wind) and Antares (lead star in the constellation Scorpio). Next part is Laudie's again, and the posts will start slowing down now.

My Story, Non-HP---------> The Hands Of The Poet Please read and and leave feedback. Or I'll sick the Antonym on you!

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; June 5th, 2008 at 9:40 pm. Reason: Ok,now I have a chapter 2
Old June 2nd, 2008, 3:16 am
First Year

After dinner, Laudie's father came home from work. She had just started back toward her room when he opened the door. She looked up at him. "Hi, Dad," she said, voice low and discerning. He looked at her in shock. His gaze jumped to his wife, who smiled slightly and nodded. He looked back and Laudie and grinned, eyes sparkling beautifully.

"Well, Haloo, Laudie Girl. Feeling good today?" he asked brightly. She shrugged and went back into her room.

She wriggled her mouse to clear the screensaver and saw, to her intense embarrassment that when she a bumped the mouse before dinner, she had clicked the submit story button, showing only one sentence to the online writing world. Several people had already responded.

Mazer88: Dudette, where's the rest? And Who saw Who?

secunda: One sentence isn't a very good way to start off a post. If you're going to write the story one sentence at a time, go to the games section.

LillyLivered3: You know, one sentence isn't a story.

D-C-ver: Hey, give her a break. It's an interesting sentence, after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I've got to stop here. Hope you like it, and secunda, thanks for reading and enjoying!

Old June 4th, 2008, 7:54 pm
First Year

She quickly logged back on and responded.

Laudiegirl: I'm sorry. I wasn't done and my mom called me in for dinner. I didn't mean to send that. Let me start over.

She retyped "She saw him the instant he had stepped into the room," frankly because it was the only thing even remotely like a beginning. She stared at the sentence once again, trying to make sense of it, silently, desperately begging the words to come out.

It was suddenly as if something had slid into place with a small click in her brain. She jumped slightly in surprise, eyes widening, at the sentence as a distinct mental sledgehammer drove itself into the back of her mind. Her hands leaped to the keyboard of their own accord and she typed furiously until she was out of breath.

She saw him the instant he had stepped into the room. Maybe because he was new to the school, like she was. Even though she had never believed so before, she immediately thought that all new kids should stick together, just so she could be around him more. He was the most handsome human being she had ever seen. She was staring at him. She didn't realize it until he looked at her, feeling her gaze on the side of his face. His eyes slid snugly into hers and both felt something click. He broke out into a sparkling grin that made his impossibly beautiful face even more amazing. While she fought to catch her breath and smile back, he strode over to her and took the seat next to hers.

"Hey," he said, giving another dazzling smile. He had great, gleaming eyes. She felt her voice leave at once. She was drowning in his eyes.

"Hey," she finally choked.

"The name's Jaden," He told her, leaning over the desk casually. All the other girls in the class were shooting daggers and dreamsick glares at her. She didn't notice. To her, she and Jaden were the only two in the room.

"I'm...I'm Lacey," She replied. It was the beginning of a solid friendship.

Little did Lacey know, it was headed for disaster.

I kind of realized that there should have been a chapter division somewhere after Laudie got home, but I haven't written in chapters for so long I kind of forgot. I'll fix that later, but for now, pretend that's the end of chapter 2.

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; June 4th, 2008 at 8:00 pm.
Old June 10th, 2008, 9:29 pm
First Year

Ok. Sorry about the wait.

Chapter 3

Laudie was dropped off at school the next day, just as usual. For once, however, she did not shuffle grimly to her homeroom class with her head down as usual. She went to the library to talk to Natalie. She knew the storywriter would be there. She was there every morning, chatting with the librarian about books and authors. Laudie walked into the room, a little nervously. Natalie waved and ushered her over to them. "Mrs. Kennedy, this is Casey Woodlyn, my partner for the story in English." she introduced.

Laudie nodded to the friendly-looking woman. "So," she said with a smile. "How do you like working with Natalie?"

"Oh, it's great," Laudie said, surprising herself and Natalie as well. Her voice wasn't overly excited, but there was feeling in it. "She's really good. I can barely keep up."

"The story is Casey's too," said Natalie, grinning. She poked Laudie's arm. "She's got an eye for words."

"It sounds like you're both doing a wonderful job. Bring it too me when you're done and I'll edit it for you," Mrs. Kennedy offered. Mr. Turner, the school counselor walked into the library and asked for her. She left with a nod at the girls and left. Laudie turned to Natalie.

"How do you do it?" She asked bluntly. "How do you write your stories? I started one last night, you see..." she quickly told Natalie what had happened. Natalie looked thrilled, jealous, and nervous all at once.

"Well... nothing like that ever happened to me, if that's what you mean. I have to work at it. Although that sudden idea-gunshot type thing has happened before, but not so...vividly."

"I just want to know what it is," Laudie said as the bell rang. They each went into their separate homerooms. Laudie was fishing in her backpack for a pen when the tardy bell rang. She looked up...and saw him.

He had to be the cutest guy she had ever seen in her entire life. He had sparkling green eyes a mop of brown hair. He was tall and muscular, had a heart-breaking face, and a handsome stance. Every girl instantly fell in love with him. His gaze swept over the classroom and found Laudie. He smiled brightly and walked over to her, taking the desk next to hers.

"Hey," he said. Her voice vanished. he had a voice like chocolate, smooth and sweet.

"Hey," she choked out. Something tickled in the back of her brain, but whether it was deja vu or a crush, or a warning, she did not know.

"My name's Jake," he said, holding out his hand.

"I'm—I'm Casey," she said, taking his with a shiver. Or at least, she tried to take his hand. Like two magnets facing the same sides, their hands would not touch, no matter how they shoved.

"That's odd," Jake said. He looked extremely uncomfortable. He shifted in his seat as the teacher began to talk. Laudie turned away from him with difficulty, yet still could not quite concentrate on the history lesson. The bell rang when the hour was over and Jake tried to catch her arm. Although their skin did not touch, his hand closed effectively around her wrist. "Can I sit with you at lunch, Casey?"

"Oh... of course!" she said with probably a little too much energy. He gave her a relieved smile and disappeared around the corner. Laudie gave a little sigh and walked to her next class.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ooh. spooky. I feel like I've written this part before....

the next part will probably have The Lady in it and then jump to Laudie's English class. Guess who decides to join Laudie's and Natalie's group?

Old June 12th, 2008, 7:28 pm
First Year

The Poet was cradled in the branches of an oak tree in the woods outside the town. A wind burst through, rattling the leaves and knocking the Mistress out of the tree. She landed lightly on the balls of her feet and turned into the breeze. "I take it this is important, Moriah?"

Moriah walked out of the wind, still limping. "I have not yet found the light, My Lady Poet, but I've recognized the signs. I think... I think one of his fingers is here."

The Poet stood up straighter. "You're sure?"

The wind-maiden nodded. "The animals are restless. The deer have fled, the hawks and eagles are drawing closer and the falcons are moving away."

Her Mistress twirled a strand of hair. "Yes. I thought there was a tremor in the beech trees." She looked up. "So the light was probably him, transporting his finger." A chill laugh echoed around the trees. Moriah dematerialized, but stayed close by. The Poet froze and turned slowly. A tall, handsome man had strode into the woods. A very young girl with shining eyes trailed after him.

"Hello, Seelee, old friend," he murmured to the Poet. As he spoke, ice gathered on the edge of the leaves of every tree except the beech trees and pine.

"Karsend," the Poet said, nodded her head to him cordially. "How goes it with you?" Her voice melted the ice. He laughed.

"Fairly well," he said, waving his hands. Moriah reappeared, staring at them. A ring had settled on each thumb. One ring glowed warmly on his right still (middle) finger and another was beginning on his left touch (pinky). "I see your Nymph is with you."

"My Nymph is always with me," The Poet said, sounding angry for the first time. "Unlike some of your allies." The grass hissed and died all around her feet. Karsend looked worried for a moment. "So you are here. And I am here. I assume we are setting terms?"

"If you desire it," he said with a grin. A tall woman with fire-red hair and a skyrocket glare appeared on his right side across from the child that was following him. The Poet silently called Antares, who flickered in at her right as Moriah took her place at the left hand.

"Star and Comet. Wind and Sound. Why do you assault my world, Antonym?" The Poet snapped.

"Why do you call this world your own, Poet!" the red-haired woman barked back. The tips of her fingers and the ends of her hair burned with blue fire.

"Quiet, Halley." Karsend said calmly, but thunder rolled over the next hill. "I imprisoned you once, Cihuapilli. I can do it again. I want Earth. I want to control it. I want to watch it fall to ruin. When have I ever wanted anything else?" The little girl giggled and vanished. The woods rattled at her disappearance and thunder bounced around the trees. Halley caught fire and leaped into the sky. The Master laughed once. "This time you won't break free again." The sky grew dark. He stepped backwards and was gone.

"Gather," The Poet said quietly. Antares and Moriah grouped around her, each one shaking with fear and anger. "The Challenge has been ordered. You are now officially my Thumbs again."

"We know what to do, Lady," Antares said.

She smiled at him and sent him away. "He is ahead of me, Moriah. One of his fingers is here, in the town. That means my Reader is, too."

"My eyes are open. We'll need the Reader more, this time, won't we?" The Poet nodded. Moriah turned to go, then stopped and looked back. "My Lady... you used his real name. And...he used yours, too." It was not a question. The Poet didn't answer. "This fight really does bear more weight than the last ones, doesn't it?"

The Poet did not look at her. "It shall be the largest Challenge since Camlan, Moriah," she answered. "And if we lose..." She met the Wind's eyes. Moriah shivered. She saw fear in her Mistress' gaze. She nodded once and blew into the town. The Poet sighed and went back to her oak branch, staring at the rings now circling her thumbs and the shadow ring on her cosmic bear finger. Alone once again.

Old June 20th, 2008, 8:05 pm
First Year

Laudie met up with Natalie and pulled out their story at third hour English. They both giggled when they saw they'd left off in the middle on a sentence. "Do you want to finish that, or do you want me to?" Laudie said teasingly.

"Wow, you're talking!" Natalie pretended to faint in surprise, which made Laudie giggle more. Natalie opended one eye and glared. Laudie pulled her up.

"I'll finish that if you want me to," said a smooth voice behind them. They both jumped and looked around. Jake was there, kneeling on the floor over their story. "Ms. Hanson told me what we were doing. Can I join your group?"

Laudie and Natalie stared at each other for a moment, then at him. "Sure, no problem!" Natalie said at the same time that Laudie said, "Help yourself, we'd be glad to have you!"

"Thanks," he said, sitting down. "I love to write, but I'm afraid that I'm terrible."

Natalie began to jabber about there being no such thing as a bad idea. They began to work, but not surprisingly didn't get much done. The bell rang and they dismally seperated. At lunch, Laudie and Jake discovered tehy had a lot in common and became fast friends. But Laudie wasn't really concentrating on the conversation. She was getting an idea for her story.

Old July 8th, 2008, 11:52 pm
First Year

It was her third post on her new story, as of yet untitled. Laudie was getting excited about it, too. Her second post was some character building, describing Lacey and Jaden's fast friendship, and she could only remember half of what she put down. Not that it was important, anyway. She somehow knew that this chapter—this update, these few paragraphs—would be the ones that mattered to the story. She logged on quickly, hardly noticing the speed at which her fingers flew, and began to type, feeling the familiar rush and loving it.

Lacey was at the park with Jaden when she got the call. They were swinging and talking, laughing, just enjoying being kids on a Saturday. He had just told an amazingly corny joke, and they were laughing together when her cell phone rang, sounding like a cow.

"What was that?" He said, looking around.

"Just my cell," Lacey said, still giggling. She plucked it out of her pocket and answered. "Hello?"

"L-lacey?" came her mother's shivering voice. "I need you to come home now, ok?"

"But Mom, it's not even noon yet,—"

"Come home. Now. I don't care what time it is." Lacey thought she heard some sobbing in the background and realized that her mother was crying away from the phone.

"Mom, calm down. What's wrong?" She asked. Jaden gave her a worried look that nearly melted her heart.

"It's...it's your father, Lacey," her mother said, voice jerking.

"What about him?" Lacey felt something settle in the pit of her stomach. She felt sick. Jaden put his hand on her shoulder.

"What's wrong, Lace?" he said. She shook her head, listening to her mom finish. At last, she snapped the phone shut.

"It's dad. He's been in a car wreck," she told Jaden, feeling like she was going to cry.

"Oh my—that's terrible, Lacey. Is he all right?"

"I don't know." Her voice broke and he put his hand on her shoulder.

"I'll walk you home," he said, helping her out of the swing.

"Th-thanks."

They stood and left the park together.

Laudie pressed send and stood up from the keyboard, feeling strangely empty. She wanted to write more, but she knew somehow that the story wasn't ready. She fiddled around in her room a little and the phone rang.

"I'll get it," she called, jogging into the living room. She picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, Case," came Jake's voice from the other end.

"J-jake? How'd you get my phone number?"

"Uh...book? I can read, remember?" He said teasingly. "So I was wondering if you were doing anything tomorrow."

"T-tomorrow?"

"Yeah, Casey, tomorrow. Also known as Saturday, the day of rest for students under twenty-one?"

"No, I'm free. What...what for?"

"Great! How about you and me and Natalie go hang out tomorrow? We can talk about our story for English and have some fun. Sound good?"

"Sounds...fine to me." She was breathless.

"Oh, and uh... would you like to have lunch with me before we pick Natalie up? My parents know this really good place in the south part of town. I'll pay."

"Are...are you asking me out on a date, Jake?"

"Well... yeah, sort of." He sounded sheepish. She could almost hear him smiling and blushing.

"Oh. Um...Ok. No problem."

"Great! We can meet up at school. I'll see you elevenish?"

"Ok."

"Awesome. Bye!"

"Ok."

He hung up. Laudie couldn't stop smiling. "Ok." she said again. "I've got a date with Jake."

She dropped the phone back in its cradle and ran to tell her parents.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty nice, huh? Especially when they're going to hang out at the park...

And I'm going to start naming chapters soon. Starting with the next one.

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; July 16th, 2008 at 2:52 am.
Old July 16th, 2008, 2:52 am
First Year

Chapter 4:Laudie Gets a Phone Call

Laudie was at the school at eleven sharp, dressed in jeans and a plain t-shirt. She liked Jake a lot, but she wasn't about to go girly for him. He picked her up about ten minutes later—driving his own car.

"You can drive?" she asked, shocked.

"Well, I am sixteen. Come on, Case."

She climbed into the passenger's seat. He drove them down to a small cafe at the edge of town. They went in and ordered sandwiches, nothing fancy. It didn't really count as a formal date, after all, she thought as they ate.

"Do you have any brothers or sisters, Jake?" Laudie asked, curious.

"An older brother, but he's graduated and moved out. Now it's just me...and my parents. How about you?"

"None." They sat in silence for a few moments.

"So, do you write a lot, or is this just a school assignment thing?" Jake asked.

Laudie swallowed her sandwich in a rush. "Well, it just started with the assignment, but I've written a little more since then." She paused. "Writing makes me feel good about the world. It almost makes me feel...free." She laughed. "What about you?"

"No, I'm terrible. I read." He took another bite. "There's this amazing website I know. I'm on it a lot. I read stuff that's on there. It's a fiction site, see. I'm usually just on for the fan fiction, but I read other stuff."

"What's the site?"

"Well, the official name is The Pen is Mightier, but—"

"Swordbreaker!" Laudie laughed again. "I love Swordbreaker! I'm actually writing a story for it right now!"

"Really?" Jake smiled. His whole face brightened. He looked almost hungry for the knowledge. "What's your story called? Maybe I'll go check it out."

"It doesn't really have a name... You can search it by author name, though. I'm Laudiegirl."

"You're Laudiegirl?" Now it was Jake's turn to laugh. "I've read your story! I'm D-C-ver!"

They paid and left the cafe in a flurry of laughter. "Come on, Casey. Let's go pick up Natalie and head to the park." Jake said, getting into the car. Laudie nodded in agreement and followed him in. Ten minutes later they were laughing on the old swing set.

"Ok," Natalie said. "To business. What can we do for our pathetic little story to make it blossom into life?"

"Water generously and add Miracle Gro," Jake said seriously. Natalie groaned and added "humor" to her story-building list. Laudie giggled. Without warning, her cell phone rang. Sounding like a cow.

"What was that?" Jake asked.

"My cell," Laudie said, having an uncomfortable feeling of deja vu. "I got the tone from my aunt."

"huh. My mom has that ringtone too," Natalie said. Laudie shrugged and answered the phone.

The grin slid off her face. "But Mom, it's not even noon yet...Calm down, Mom. what's wrong?"

"What is it, Case?" Jake said. Laudie went white.

"Ok. I'm coming." She hung up and looked at her friends. "My dad's been in a car wreck."

"Oh, Casey, that's terrible!" Natalie said.

"Come on. I'll take you home." Jake offered her his arm.

"Naw, it's not far from here," Natalie said. "I'll walk with you, Casey. It's good for you. Trust me."

"T-thanks, Nat." She and Natalie stood up and left the park, leaving Jake to bite his lip and drive away.
-------------------------------------------------
Deja vu? huh. Me, too.

Old August 1st, 2008, 4:57 am
First Year

Ok. Short and sweet, per orders.

Laudie walked into the house, feeling empty. She and her mother had just gotten back from the hospital. Her father wasn't seriously injured—he had a broken arm and a lot of cuts and bruises—but she still felt strange. Maybe lucky. Yeah. Lucky. And sad. And lonely. A lot like...after the accident. She shook her head and walked into her room, logging onto Swordbreaker. She didn't really know what to write, but she felt like writing would make her feel better.

With a sigh, she listlessly reread her story. After going through it once, something seemed to click in her mind. She sat up straighter and read it through again. Could this be happening? she thought. She had written about the car accident-the day before it happened. And Lacey had met Jaden-the day before she, Casey, called Laudie had met Jake. The similarities between names and events were vivid, striking, saving the fact that there was no Natalie, or Natalia, or whatever she would be called. Could she be writing the future?

"Yeah, right," she told herself with a laugh, but the laugh was forced and she didn't feel reassured. This kind of thing only happened in fairy tales and sci fi novels. Not to normal people every day. But the proof was right there in front of her. She took a deep breath and pressed add post. There was only one way to find out.

Test it.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 8:06 pm
First Year

Lacey's father was fine. He had broken a leg—Laudie refused to make it exactly like it had happened—but was otherwise perfectly well. She was glad. She didn't want to even think about what would have happened had her father been more seriously injured.

Here Laudie stopped writing. What could she do? The mysterious mind force that drove her story onward was gone. On her own, without the feelings of urgency she had complied to before, she didn't know what to do. She left her bedroom and strode into the kitchen where her mother was scrubbing the table.

"Hey mom," she said. "Do you believe in magic?"

her mother looked up, ecstatic merely at her daughter's voice. "Not really. Why do you ask?"

"No reason. Just wondering..." She went into the living room and picked up the phone, dialing Natalie's number. She would understand. But half-way through dialing, she put the phone down and tried Jake instead. She trusted him. Maybe he would know what to make of this.

Old September 20th, 2008, 3:42 am
First Year

The phone only rang once before Jake picked up. "Hi, Case," he said, a little too quickly.

"Hi," she answered. "How'd you know it was me?"

He paused and there was a strange sound from the line. "Erm. Caller ID. What can I do for you?"

"I need some advice. Do you know of anything that's going on lately?"

"You mean at school or something?"

"Yeah," she said.

He paused and thought. "Well... there's a poetry contest..."

"Why do you sound so guilty about it?" she asked slyly.

"I wrote something for it, as well as a hate poem for...well for someone. I went to submit the poem I wrote to the contest and when I got back home, I realized I sent the hate poem instead."

"Aww, that's too bad...what are you doing writing hate poetry anyway?

"Well it's better than beating someone up, isn't it? Anyway, I sent it in kind of last minute, and we find out the winners tomorrow... there's no way I can place now."

"Good luck anyway. That's all I needed. See you tomorrow."

"See ya—"

Laudie hung the phone up before he could finish and dashed to her room.

The next day, Lacey came into school to a great commotion. She saw that Jaden seemed to be at its center and jogged toward him. "What's going on?" She asked.

"I won, Lace! I won the story-writing contest!"

She finished the update a few minutes later and, with a small flourish of her hand, pressed the submit button.
-------------------------------------------------------------
That's all for now. I'll give you some more tomorrow. If you're new to Laudie's story, remember that feedback is welcome and keeps the story alive. Wow. I feel like a radio announcer.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:51 pm
First Year

----------------------------------------
The Poet walked abroad among the people of the town, unnoticed, and ignored, save from one young girl with fire in her eyes and two very sharp teeth. She stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and bowed deeply before continuing on. The Poet inclined her head and kept moving. The girl was receiving a lot of strange looks, but no one gave The Poet a glance. She was invisible to all but her most loyal servants. Which was why only The Poet knew why the wind suddenly picked up and half roared toward her.

"My Lady," Moriah whispered in her ear. "I have found her! The Reader!"

The Poet stopped and looked at her hand. The ring was much more defined now, looking less like a tattoo and more like an actual ring. "I am not surprised. Who is she?"

"I do not know her name, but Lenore would. The girl was nearly Wolf Bait last year."

The Poet nodded disjointedly. "It's...this one, isn't it?" She made a sharp move with her hand and a picture of Laudie suddenly shimmered in front of her.

"Yes!" Moriah gasped. "She's only recently recovered. What happened?"

"She and three old friends were kidnapped. The man has been...dealt with. As for the girls, one of them serves me now." The Poet paused. She did not say how the girl served. She didn't need to. "The other two are dead."

The wind dropped and fell silently into a human form at her Mistress's side. "You've got a plan. I can tell."

"Yes." The Poet smiled. "I will go to meet young Casey Bell. Tonight."

Old September 26th, 2008, 4:25 am
First Year

Chapter Five: The Dream

Laudie fell asleep quickly that night, almost as if she were under a spell. She was glad. It was better than her usually struggle to find peace enough for sleep to come. What she wasn't expecting was a dream. Any dream. Especially one as strange as this.

It seemed as if she had opened her eyes. She was in a bleak room with stone walls and a ceiling made out of dirt. She was underground. Laudie looked around. There were no windows or doors. Not even any air vents. She wondered how she was able to breath—that's when she realized she was dreaming. It was strange. She could control herself normally... usually the opposite of what happened in a dream. Hesitantly, she began to search the cell. There was nothing, not even a light source. How was she able to see everything? That would be the dream part, of course. She was nearly starting to get panicky about being locked underground—dream or no—when she heard a voice from behind her.

"Ah...there you are."

Laudie turned around to face a woman.
--------------------------------------------~Enjoy~

Old September 28th, 2008, 3:13 pm
First Year

"Who are you?" Laudie asked, nervous.

The woman stepped forward and opened her hands. "Who do I look like?"

Laudie shook her head. She didn't look like anything she'd seen before. And this place, this dream, this lady was scaring her. "Is this a dream?"

"Yes. I sent it to you. I wanted to meet you." The lady looked around a moment and seemed to shiver. "No wonder you're so uptight. Let's move away from here."

She didn't move a muscle. The instant she said the words, they were gone, in a rich, green meadow. "Much better," said the lady.

"Who are you?" Laude asked again.

The woman turned to her, smiling. "Why, I am the Muse, dear Reader."

Laudie eyed her with disdain. There were nine Greek muses and three Roman ones. "Which muse?"

The lady laughed. "I am THE Muse. There was only ever one, and that was me. I have many different names. I came to talk to you."

"What about?"

"Your writing. It seems to be a little dry, but effective none the less, wouldn't you say so?"

"What do you mean?"

Suddenly, a great wind tore through the meadow, ripping flowers from the ground.

"Oh, dear," The Muse said. "He approaches, or one who bears his scent."

"What?" Laudie stared at her. "What are you talking about?"

"I must go," she called, already moving away. "I dare not stay any longer. Farewell, and keep writing!"

"Wait!" Laudie called. But the Muse was already gone.

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; September 29th, 2008 at 5:09 am.
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:37 am
First Year

Chapter 6: Revelations

"Casey!"

Laudie woke up, startled. Jake was sitting at the foot of her bed. "Jake! What are you doing here?"

Jake shrugged, still looking hopelessly cool and handsome. Laudie was a little breathless. "Your mom let me in. I came to take you to school. Do you sleep this late every day?"

Laudie burst out of bed at the prospect of being late and ran to the bathroom to change, ignoring Jake's chuckles. Within ten minutes, they had left her house and within fifteen, they arrived at the school.

Laudie reluctantly left Jake to talk to his math teacher and went to the library. There she found Natalie, talking to Mrs. Kennedy as always.

"Nat!" Laudie called. Natalie looked over and smiled, waving to the librarian and coming to join Laudie at a table. Mr. Turner, the councilor, came in at that moment, looking through an encyclopedia nearby.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"I need some advice," Laudie said, working the words over in her mind. "I think I'm going to quit writing my story."

"What! Why?"

Laudie shrugged. How could she explain it? "It's just...some really weird things have been happening, that's all. It's kind of unnerving."

"Like what?" Natalie asked.

Laudie told her how everything she wrote seemed to happen. Behind them, Mr. Turner froze and started working again. "I'm testing it today. Jake said he entered a poetry contest and that it was impossible for him to win. I wrote in my story that Jaden won a poetry contest. If Jake wins—"

"Jake made second place," Natalie said, blushing slightly. "The winners were just posted. I won."

"Congratulations!" said Laudie. "Maybe I'm just overreacting."

"No, second still has really bad odds."

"Well, there's that...and last night I had this really weird dream."

"What about?" asked Natalie.

"I'm not really sure...there was this Lady in it...she called herself 'The Muse.'"

At this, Mr. Turner dropped the dictionary he was holding. It landed on his foot. He gasped in pain and limped toward a chair.

"What's with him?" Natalie whispered. "Anyway, what did she do?"

The bell rang. Natalie groaned and picked up her books. "Tell me at lunch, m'kay?" She called as she left the library.

Laudie gathered up her bag and began to leave. To her surprise, Mr. Turner caught her arm as she started out the door.

"Excuse me...Casey Bell, right? Can I see you in my office, please?"

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; September 30th, 2008 at 10:13 pm.
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:34 pm
First Year

Laudie nodded a little nervously. She'd never really talked to Mr. Turner—he was one of those strange, eccentric people that, instead of being loved everywhere, were avoided. But, he was still a teacher. She followed him down the hallway, the opposite direction of her homeroom. He turned on his heels at the end of the hallway and motioned for her to follow him. She switched her backpack to the other shoulder and sped up.

His office was small and brown. The walls, the floor, the desks, the chairs, everything. He took the office chair behind the desk and she sat in front of him.

"So, tell me about your dream," he said. She raised an eyebrow and hesitantly told him everything. When she was done, he rubbed his forehead, one hand curled around a water bottle.

Laudie turned her attention to the only un-brown thing in the room; a framed poster of a sunlight forest on the wall behind his desk. There was some kind of poem written on it; she expected it to be one of those phony inspirational sayings, or maybe Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken." She ignored it.

At last, Mr. Turner brought his hand away from his face and said, "Casey, have you ever heard of any groups that believe King Arthur will return one day and rule the world?"

Laudie frowned and thought. "Yeah...but they're just a bunch of loonies with dreams, right?"

Mr. Turner smiled. "I thought you might have; it's in your English teacher's curriculum. You are correct. It is a shame, really, that they are so mistaken. What your teacher does not cover, however, is the much less known Order of the Swan. Ever come across that?"

Laudie bit her lip, not sure where the conversation was going.

"The Order of the Swan is a society that, much like these misinformed people, believes a character from the Arthurian legends will someday return. That character is The Lady of the Lake...are you keeping up here?"

Laudie nodded. She was beginning to wonder about Mr. Turner's sanity.

"This Order is very prestigious, but rather...secretive. You can understand the stipulation and mockery that can come with the idea of the Lady of the Lake returning to the earth, when most do not believe she even existed. The Order, however, has been...proven true."

What? Laudie thought. "I'm sorry, sir. You lost me."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just so you know, I kind of made up the Order of the Swan, so don't go and google it or anything...

"The truth is, Miss Bell, she wasn't really the Lady of the Lake. Or that was only one of her names," he said, really warming to the subject now. "She was—is—so much more. She is the embodiment of all that makes us human—empathy, caring, love, joy, intelligence, morals. The theory is that emotion came into being before people, in whatever way they came. But the emotion was so much to bear, that it spilled over and became two people—The Lady, epitome of all that was good, was the first. She is real. And I believe she has made contact with you."

Laudie stared. "I don't think I understand you, sir."

"I am a member of the Order of the Swan, my dear girl," he went on, excitement shining in his eyes. "One of the newer members. It is our job to keep the world while she is away." He turned around and ran his finger along the frame of the picture. "She has charged us with this solemn duty. She owns the earth. But the Other wants to take it from her."

Laudie glanced up at the picture and read the words there.

The Poet Sings

She's somewhere in the sunlight strong
her tears are in the falling rain
she calls me in the wind's soft song
And with the flowers she comes again
the loneliness and misery
are silenced by a melody
she's somewhere and I hear her sing
Her words in timeless memory:
"Stay the course, light a star
change the world where'r you are.

Somewhere the night wind carries her
A silver moonbean lights her way
Antares is her messanger
And every sun and moon her stay.
Dark voices from the shadows call
But listen and her voice recall—Moriah!
"stay the course, light a star
Change the world where'r you are.

"I'm afraid I still don't understand," Laudie said, although she was afraid she was beginning too. The poem stirred something in her...she couldn't figure out what or why.

Last edited by KeeperOfAranja; October 2nd, 2008 at 10:53 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Novella