Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Your Favorite Literary Characters (Other than HP)

Old April 30th, 2009, 6:41 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape/Trapdoor Champion

Re: Your Favorite Literary Characters (Other than HP)

Florentyna Rosnovski in the Prodigal Daughter by Jeffrey Archer.
Robert Langdon in the Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.
Amir in the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
Kate Denby in the Long after Midnight by Iris Johannson.
Kate Blackwell in the Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon.

I cried, when I saw the "It all ends!" banner!!

But now I know, it never will....
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2009, 3:36 am
Second Year

Without a doubt, Eugenides from Megan Whalen Turner's books The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia. Incredible. Indescribably incredible. But sadly obscure...

And, on a less obscure note, Hamlet. His reputation is definitely deserved.

And so many others...Fflewddur Fflam from the Prydain Chronicles (Lloyd Alexander), Dustfinger from Inkheart (Cornelia Funke). Too many others to list.

Old June 12th, 2009, 6:39 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Tamora Pierce-
Tamora Pierce! I haven't heard that author in a while. I read three series of books by her in 5th grade and they were fantastic. I don't remember specifics though... shame.

And someone mentioned Uncle Paton from Charile Bones! I love him! Sarcastic and able to stand up to his family - now that's a great character.

- Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice
She's smart, witty, stubborn and clever - a nonconformist in the society she lives in. But her portrayal of a strong-willed woman is the best in any book I've ever read, considering the time period she lived in as well. It has to be my all time favorite romance novel. I love how she was able to willingly admit she didn't like Mr. Darcy when she met him (even though it was judgmental of her). She's full of surprises, which I really enjoy.

- Nancy from Nancy Drew
I love how smart she is. She is able to get herself out of the worst situations, mostly by using her smarts (and sometimes with help from mere luck).

- Ralph from Lord of the Flies
He represented the civilized man in others, while Jack was trying to turn them all into wild killing animals. He was a great leader for the boys on that island.

- Sam Gamgee from Lord of the Rings
The kind, loyal retainer to Frodo. He never left Frodo's side, and always stuck with him in troubled times. He was there to protect and serve, no matter how cruel Frodo was under the influence of the ring. Sam was good to the core.

- The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland
It's just such a fun, seemingly random world with a hidden meaning behind it. The Mad Hatter was crazy at those tea parties.

- Ender from Ender's Game
A small boy that turns out to be a destructive military genius at the age of six. It's so fascinating. He's just a genius. I loved his character for the depth of his thoughts and his intellect.

- Edward from Twilight
Because I'm a teenage girl and he's absolutely perfect. What girl wouldn't want a guy like that? *swoons*

- Robert Langdon from Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code
He's so smart and quick. I love the way he figures out all these clues to the mysteries. And he's got a great personality to match - bright, charming, and caring. When I read the books, the way he thinks just makes me want to study history so I could learn myself.

- Gregor from Gregor the Overlander
He has natural gift that he's able to fine tune whilst among Underlanders, and he always figures out the prophecies somehow (even if it means finding someone else to do it). He's very caring and protective, also good qualities in a character. He's smart and strong, even after everything he went through.

- Nita from So You Want To Be A Wizard
She's a nerd, but she's a great wizard. I love her strength, and combined with Kit, they're a force to be reckoned with. She's a wizard and a realist, but still has normal experiences like other girls - getting pimples, boy trouble, etc. I really like her character.

So many more... I've read too many good books! But I'll stop here.

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes – glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old June 12th, 2009, 4:16 pm
Second Year

Quote:
- Ralph from Lord of the Flies
He represented the civilized man in others, while Jack was trying to turn them all into wild killing animals. He was a great leader for the boys on that island.
Yes, yes, yes! Lord of the Flies is one of my favorite books and Ralph is an incredible Representative of Civilization.

Old June 16th, 2009, 1:07 am
First Year

Edward Cullen...aaaah he is amazing. i also love Bella.

Mr Darcy, Mr Tilney, Edward Ferrars etc...ie all the heroes of Jane Austen novels... Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey

Jamie Fraser, from Diana Gabaldon's Cross Stitch (or Outlander in US)

D'artagnan from Three Musketeers!

Ron Weasley. Hes just so funny.

My list could go on and on..but I just cant think of any more off the top of my head.
Cheers!

Old June 16th, 2009, 3:00 pm
Seventh Year

One of my favourite characters remains:

Aloysius Pendergast from the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child mystery/crime novels. His enigmatic/mysterious nature and mellifurous accent cause for an unstoppable, intrigueing character.

Others:::

Bartimaeus from the Bartimaeus trilogy

Shevraeth from Crown Duel/Crown Court

Seth McCauley from Wizard Heir and Dragon Heir

Julien Mayfair from the Mayfair Chronicles

All I can think of for now

Lifestyles of the Rich and Fabulous

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:26 pm
First Year

Randle Patrick McMurphy - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I love his fierce independence and love for life. Nearly unbreakable and in the end tragic. His sense of humor is another thing to behold. Hank Stamper from Sometimes a Great Notion is a similar character, from the same author, but I think I like McMurphy a little bit more.

Elizabeth Bennet - Pride and Prejudice. For the same reasons as everyone else.

Cordelia - King Lear. Perhaps the most kindest and most loving character in all of literature.

Drizzt Do'Urden
- Forgotten Realms novels. His adventures never seem to end, and some of the newer novels are poor, but I love this character. Excellent swordfighter and who also tries to overcome the prejudice both by his race and against it.

Old July 19th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Third Year

Scarlett O'Hara (Gone With the Wind and Scarlett). The books might be mightyly different, but the Scarlett in those books. I just can't help, but love her. And I also love Rhett Butlerr. I wish I had a man ike him. Or at least had some qualities if him

Elrond Peredhil from the Lordt of the Rings and the Hobbit. I don't know what it is about him that draws me in like a moth to a flame.

I can't think of any more, but my brain is a little fuzzy right now.

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old July 21st, 2009, 7:24 pm
Second Year

Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. I always liked the values he taught his kids, and his quote that is something along the lines of: "You never really understand a person until you get in their skin and walk around in it."

I think he is a great character and Dad.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:23 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplova15165 View Post

- Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice
She's smart, witty, stubborn and clever - a nonconformist in the society she lives in. But her portrayal of a strong-willed woman is the best in any book I've ever read, considering the time period she lived in as well. It has to be my all time favorite romance novel. I love how she was able to willingly admit she didn't like Mr. Darcy when she met him (even though it was judgmental of her). She's full of surprises, which I really enjoy.
Well said I'll also add that Elizabeth was understanding, compassionate and brave, I admire the way she stood up to Lady De Bourgh in the end of the book, and how much comfort she gave to her sister Jane whenever she needed it, Elizabeth is definitely one of my most favourite characters ever.

Quote:
- Edward from Twilight
Because I'm a teenage girl and he's absolutely perfect. What girl wouldn't want a guy like that? *swoons*
I'm dont like Twilight a lot, but Edward is simply my most favourite male character. Like you said who wouldnt want a guy like that? He's everything any girl could dream of; rich, unselfish, loving...

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old July 25th, 2009, 7:17 pm
First Year

Edmond Dantes from The Count of Monte Cristo-I love the transformation he undergoes from his long stint in Chateau d'If, going in there an innocent young man and coming out a cold, ruthless killer bent on revenge on those who wronged him (kinda similar to Sirius Black actually...except Dantes is cooler). I also love the horror he undergoes when he overdoes his revenge on Villefort, and how that leads to his letting Danglars live.

Phineas from A Separate Peace-I love Finny! His buoyant, energetic demeanor is addictive and the way he and Gene deal with the incident in the tree is fascinating and excruciating at the same time. I love all the comments he makes about how the war is a hoax to cover up for his disability and inability to fight.
Spoiler: show
I couldn't believe he died at the end though!!

http://www.motifake.com/demotivational-poster/0902/cats-demotivational-poster-1234306438.jpg

"Dobby is used to death threats, sir. Dobby gets them five times a day at home."

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.

Slytherin rules!
Old August 10th, 2009, 4:32 pm
First Year

Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and prejudice undoubtedly one of the best characters in literature

Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings

Edmond Dantes from Count of monte Cristo - awesome

Phileas Fogg - Around the world in eighty days - one of the first books that i read, so got a special place

Are you searching for a reason, to be kind?

No Rahman No music, Know Rahman know music
Old August 10th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmaniacc View Post

Edmond Dantes from Count of monte Cristo - awesome

LOVE HIM and his awesome revenge plots..hehehe, the way he got his vengance...ONE OF THE BEST THINGS IVE EVER READ!!!!!

sherlock holmes-sherlock holmes stories. that arrogance, and inhuman nature is just one of the most amusing things to read

Peter Pan-Peter pan. i love the innocence of the character, and the way he is so concited i that little boy way =]]

A LOT MORE..JUST DONT REMEMBER! WILL EDIT WEN DO!

July 15,2011
<33333333333

Wit Beyond Measure is Mans Greatest Treasure
Old August 11th, 2009, 5:42 pm
First Year

Quote:
LOVE HIM and his awesome revenge plots..hehehe, the way he got his vengance...ONE OF THE BEST THINGS IVE EVER READ!!!!!
yeah i am re-reading that book now

Old August 13th, 2009, 5:01 am
First Year

Lord Asriel and Marisa Coulter from the His Darks Materials series by Phillip Pullman. (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass). It's a quite deranged love story between the two. Mrs. Coulter was married at the time they were having an affair and then became pregnant with Lord Asriel's daughter, Lyra. Mr. Coulter finds out, trouble pursues. Mrs. Coulter is wicked, seductive, but truly loves Lyra (technically, she tried to kill her, but hey whatever). Lord Asriel is mysterious and lustful. But, like Marisa he loves Lyra and that is shown when the two of them die together for the sake of their daughter. It's only then we truly find out where Mrs. Coulter's loyalty lies (almost like Snape in Harry Potter). I like these two characters together more than I like them apart. Their personalities complete each other.

Another favorite character of mine is the Mad-Hatter from Alice in Wonderland. Insanity at its most playful and clean position.

Rumbleroar is a lion. WHO CAN TALK.

Old August 13th, 2009, 5:43 am
Third Year

Piggy from Lord of the Flies.
Spoiler: show
I seriously teared up when the boulder killed him. I mean, he didn't deserve that at all; he was just trying to talk some sense into people, and it was saddening when Ralph finally realized that Piggy was one of his true friends on the island.

Eddie from the Five People You Meet in Heaven. His journey is just touching, heart-breaking, heart-warming, and just about every emotion out there. The book itself is just incredible. One of my favorites. I cried in the end.

Also, Morrie Schwartz, who is actually real. Just read Tuesdays with Morrie and you'll see why he's one of my favorites.

More to come, I expect.

Old August 13th, 2009, 7:03 pm
Second Year

Amir from Khaled Hosseini's Kite Runner.

Because he's just not so perfect, so complex and so deep.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry.
“Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old August 14th, 2009, 5:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Also, Morrie Schwartz, who is actually real. Just read Tuesdays with Morrie and you'll see why he's one of my favorites.
wow! a great book, and a great character I just love that book.

Old August 15th, 2009, 3:20 am
Third Year

Some my favorites would be:

Eowyn from Lord of the Rings
Elrond from Lord of the Rings
Lireal from The Abhorsen triology
Vestakia from The Obisidian triology

Old August 15th, 2009, 6:56 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH_epicwin View Post
Edmond Dantes from The Count of Monte Cristo
After having finished that book, I'd have to add him to my list too. He really ticked me off throughout most of the book (what with all that "I'm an instrument of God, so I can callously bump off the families of those who wronged me!" stuff) but I never stopped hoping that he'd open his eyes to how wrong his actions were. I found the scene where he gives Danglars a second chance absolutely beautiful.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction