Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Is it weird to have a crush on a fictional character?

Old August 27th, 2008, 7:36 pm
First Year

Re: Is it wierd to have a crush on a fictional character?

FICTIONAL?!

*stabs through heart*

You mean they're not real??!!! *gasp*

Not listening Nanananananana!!!

that I am up to
no good

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2008, 1:16 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_4hugo4_4 View Post
FICTIONAL?!

*stabs through heart*

D'you want a cup of tea to get over this?

I still think (and I have thought about this over the last few days), that the having a crush on a character thing is okay. I think it's quite nice in a way, in that some anti-heroes (or anti-heroines) are less that savory people, so having a crush on them in real life could be dicey. That falls into Harry Potter too. Some of the characters have dark backgrounds and dark motives and liking some of them could lead to badness in the real world. So I must concede that fictional (sorry 4_4hugo4_4) crushes are harmless and fun!

THE DUCK.

Old September 4th, 2008, 1:03 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

I've just developed a crush on Mr.Henry Tilney from "Northanger Abbey". He's so witty and chivalrous!!!!!! I'm in loveBlame Austen for creating such wonderful men! *sighs! wishes he existed*

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 5th, 2008, 5:41 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
I've just developed a crush on Mr.Henry Tilney from "Northanger Abbey". He's so witty and chivalrous!!!!!! I'm in loveBlame Austen for creating such wonderful men! *sighs! wishes he existed*
See, proof positive, it's not weird! You've just shown that it's making you feel quite happy, and it's drawing you to the book more, and anything that draws people to books is quite alright with me!

TV just doesn't work quite that way. There's nothing like creating your own image of a cahracter.

THE DUCK.

Old September 6th, 2008, 8:43 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
TV just doesn't work quite that way. There's nothing like creating your own image of a cahracter.
Exactly.the tv leaves so little to imagine, whereas books...they leave you at your will to imagine your favourite character, however I do find that sometimes the visuals in a movie do help in loving the character more( like it did with Matthew Macfadyen as Mr.Darcy and J.J.Feild as Mr.Tilney)

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 6th, 2008, 5:40 pm
Qvack...

I'm inclined to agree regarding the Darcy actors, at least. Without drooooooooling, I mean...

As for why there are crushes on fictional characters.. I suppose it's because the books are well written? I never really thought about it before now, but that makes most sense to me, at any rate.

THE DUCK.

Old September 6th, 2008, 6:55 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

With a fictional character, there's no danger of actually having your heart broken, and all their little setbacks and quirks and imperfections just make them well-rounded rather than disappointing. It's a 'fantasy' - it doesn't exist, it isn't real, it's safe.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old September 6th, 2008, 9:59 pm
First Year

I don't see a problem with it, as long as your senses stay in place and you remember what's real and what isn't. I for one fancy the leather jacket off of Harry Dresden.

Old September 7th, 2008, 2:15 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh_ann View Post
I don't see a problem with it, as long as your senses stay in place and you remember what's real and what isn't. I for one fancy the leather jacket off of Harry Dresden.
You're not alone! I suppose there are many many really popular ones. Even with Harry Potter, there are. But I agree with you that you have to know the difference between reality and imagination.

Sadly.

THE DUCK.

Old September 7th, 2008, 4:13 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_4hugo4_4 View Post
FICTIONAL?!

*stabs through heart*

love for fictional characters is like a drug, it's not really too healthy, but you can't stop either . Well...not a good comparison...but it's not a weird thing to be addicted, just natural . Anyways, I need to have a good dose of fictional love or I'm going to forget to have any feelings at all

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 7th, 2008, 4:35 am
Qvack...

Fictional love is one of those things that you can have even when your nose is stuffed up, your hair is all over the place and you've been in bed for four days with flu...

If it makes you feel better, that's all good!

Fantastic!

THE DUCK.

Old September 7th, 2008, 11:12 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, that's all good!

Fantastic!
Yeah..it does make me feel good a lot of times. But there have been times when I've gone " How can I be in love with someone who doesnt even exist???"
And sometimes or infact a lot of times I worry that these characters dont exist!

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 7th, 2008, 6:36 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Yeah..it does make me feel good a lot of times. But there have been times when I've gone " How can I be in love with someone who doesnt even exist???"
And sometimes or infact a lot of times I worry that these characters dont exist!
That's why you made a Baleheads fan group. He does exist.

But I agree with you. It's a bit of a downer that it's not more real. But I still advocate it as a sign of a good book and a completely normal individual.

THE DUCK.

Old September 8th, 2008, 8:10 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
But I agree with you. It's a bit of a downer that it's not more real. But I still advocate it as a sign of a good book and a completely normal individual.
Yes. Absolutely, a sign of a good book.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:53 pm
Malum Veneficus

Crush on a fictional character? Well its very unhealthy, atleast not healthy for me, it drives me mad, I had crushes on countless fictional characters, for instance: Edward Cullen (Twilight Series), Tom Riddle (wish he's real ), Draco Malfoy. Those are the top three, but as I said they're countless, you just keep thinking about them not realizing the fact that they'll never come true and I'll never really meat them or anything .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 14th, 2008, 3:06 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
you just keep thinking about them not realizing the fact that they'll never come true and I'll never really meat them or anything .
No, no. You will never meet them. There's no "really" about it!

But admit it, you love that happiness that it gives you! it makes you love the books and love the characters, and when it's raining you get to be inside with them, and it never matters what you look like. You don't have to impress them..

I need to find a new book with a hottie in it, and soon...

THE DUCK.

Old September 16th, 2008, 2:02 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Crush on a fictional character? Well its very unhealthy, atleast not healthy for me, it drives me mad, I had crushes on countless fictional characters, for instance: Edward Cullen (Twilight Series), Tom Riddle (wish he's real ), Draco Malfoy. Those are the top three, but as I said they're countless, you just keep thinking about them not realizing the fact that they'll never come true and I'll never really meat them or anything .
I haven't even met any kind of real life Tom Riddle (except me, but i'm a girl and me and the idea of something like that is just creepy). Tom Riddle is the only fictional character i've ever had a real crush on though

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 16th, 2008, 4:42 am
Banned

I don't think it's weird at all to have a crush on a fictional character. I've had a crush on Sirius Black ever since I started to read the books and had one on Harry Potter ever since I started to watch the movies (but that phase has passed). I've just recently started to have a major crush on Severus Snape though. If you look around the forum you'll find loads of fangirls (and occasionaly a fanboy or two) who swoon and squee like mad over fictional characters. I can't be very strange if almost everyone is doing it.

Old September 16th, 2008, 5:04 am
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

I've revising my opinion a little bit: Aren't most crushes fictional? If you have a crush, even on a real person that you see every day, it's just a fantasy until you choose to act on it. Then it becomes a 'relationship' - or not, but either way the 'crush' part of the equation no longer exists once you cross that line. Fictional characters are fantasies that you can't cross that line with, ever, but that's the only real difference.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old September 17th, 2008, 2:14 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
I've revising my opinion a little bit: Aren't most crushes fictional? If you have a crush, even on a real person that you see every day, it's just a fantasy until you choose to act on it. Then it becomes a 'relationship' - or not, but either way the 'crush' part of the equation no longer exists once you cross that line. Fictional characters are fantasies that you can't cross that line with, ever, but that's the only real difference.
But thats an important one.Well fictional characters are just that..fictional..crushing on someone who does not exist and crushing on someone who does exist( even if you dont act on it) are two different things.....

Rita Skeeter was here
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction