Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Is it weird to have a crush on a fictional character?

Old March 28th, 2008, 2:57 am
Sixth Year

Re: Is it wierd to have a crush on a fictional character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
What about naming pets or children after fictional characters?
Nah, it's not too weird. If you love the character that much, and it's a pretty decent-sounding name, then why not?

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2008, 4:52 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
Nah, it's not too weird. If you love the character that much, and it's a pretty decent-sounding name, then why not?
Agree totally...so I've got William booked (from Fitzwilliam Darcy...the poor kid will never forgive me if I named him Fitzwilliam...lol)

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old April 13th, 2008, 6:35 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
It's understandable that we "bond" with characters that we feel have admirable traits. Ron is my favorite character because he is similar to many of my guy friends. He is hilarious, fairly athletic, loyal, and brave. So I admire him. And I feel the same about other fictional characters.

However, claiming to "love" characters is dangerous. I think it's fine to bond with a character and admit that you would date them if they existed, but to obsess over a fictional character is just as dangerous as it is to obsess over a real person.
I completely agree.

I wish i could be in the DA.
Proud supporter of Dobby, Enemy of Bellatrix

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old April 14th, 2008, 8:09 am
Third Year

Okay so what about calling your cat Munsktrap or Skimbleshanks after Andrew Llyod Webber's musical? Thats not creepy is it?

All you have to do is take that one step.'
Old April 18th, 2008, 5:56 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Umm....Who is Edward Cullen?

I think it's really ok to have a crush on a fictional character, even love them. After all, feelings can't be helped, and sometimes you can learn something about yourself or life from the experience.

I think it gets a bit bad when your life outside of the character is diminished because of your feelings for that character.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old April 18th, 2008, 6:14 am
do you want fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
He is from the Twilight series, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old April 18th, 2008, 3:21 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
A vampire that the main character (Bella) falls in love with in Twilight .

I agree with what you said, if a love for a fictional character interferes with your real life and perhaps even real potential love life, then that is bad. I love many characters and have had a few crushes on some, but have never let it go too far.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old April 22nd, 2008, 2:29 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
A vampire that the main character (Bella) falls in love with in Twilight .
Pfft. Edward is so lame.
Quote:
I agree with what you said, if a love for a fictional character interferes with your real life and perhaps even real potential love life, then that is bad. I love many characters and have had a few crushes on some, but have never let it go too far.
Hem hem.. I think you mean you have loved them.

But I agree. Liking them and admiring them to an extent is okay, but loving them is not. It's bad because most fictional characters have far less flaws and are far more perfect that any real person, so expecting people in real life to be like that is not good. If it interferes with real life relationships, I agree, it's too far.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 6:50 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
Pfft. Edward is so lame.
Don't listen to him! He's lying! Edward is awesome!

Quote:
But I agree. Liking them and admiring them to an extent is okay, but loving them is not. It's bad because most fictional characters have far less flaws and are far more perfect that any real person, so expecting people in real life to be like that is not good. If it interferes with real life relationships, I agree, it's too far.
I also agree. I think it's OK to admire fictional characters or even have a crush on them, but if your heart is aching because you know that they don't actually exist and you want them to more than anything in the world...then yes, I think you need to snap out of it.

I actually think it can be good to admire a fictional character if they have respectable attributes that you want to strive to develope. If you use an honorable character to be a role model and it helps you be a a better person, then that is a good thing IMO.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:40 am
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Pfft. Edward is so lame.
He's not you, which of course makes him lame in comparison

But he's still awesome!!

Quote:
Hem hem.. I think you mean you have loved them.
Of course, my mistake.

Quote:
I think sometimes characters can have the right amount of flaws. The problem is when people change their life and obsess, because they want this fictional character to be real, when they never will be. I can see how someone may believe that it is love that they feel when reading about this character, but it's not real, it can't ever happen, and some people have a hard time dealing with that. Also, people (and not being sexist, but it is usually girls) look for a partner who is exactly like their fictional love, and won't be pleased with anything else. I think people can take it too far.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old April 26th, 2008, 2:53 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagickeeper View Post
Okay so what about calling your cat Munsktrap or Skimbleshanks after Andrew Llyod Webber's musical? Thats not creepy is it?
As I doubt the cat will be teased by other cats about their name, I guess not. I think it's creepy and not nice when names like that are used for kids-unlike cats, they can be teased by fellow kiddies about their name. Some I guess you could use to an extent as a middle name (my own middle name is Mercedes Supposedly it's Spanish for 'mercy' but I'm not so sure. Accio Spanish speakers!)

The following names that (IMHO) might be too embarrassing or bully-magnet-ish for a kid as a middle name, let alone their first name:

1. Remus--Middle name perhaps, but not really as a first name. Anyone who know of HP, and of Remus Lupin, would probably guess at once where that came from. But it could be covered up with "Your mum/dad's just a mythological fanatic, even though she/he thinks the Ancient Greeks were cooler than the Ancient Romans." *cough*likeme*cough* ) However on the downside, in Kenneth Oppell's Silverwing series there's a sewer rat named Remus.

2. Sirius--Seriously you'll get all sorts of jokes and teases made of the poor kid. "Are you serious?" "Yes, I'm Sirius!" :eyeroll: Poor kid.

3. Andromeda--Pretty name, but probably as a middle name here. It just sounds like the name of a snooty/snobby person. Not that I think Andromeda Tonks is.

4. Augusta--It sounds, imho, "old" and probably the kid would kill me later for naming her that. And she'd probably keep being asked where she keeps her stuffed vultures.

5. Nymphadora--Who wants a name that sounds like "nymph adorer"? Certainly not Tonks! And certainly not any future kids. Any guy that wants to call any of my future daughters Nymphadora will see the marriage annulled.

6. Bellatrix--Bella is pretty enough on its own, and besides it sounds like "Bella tricks" "Bella tricks who?" Great, there goes another new "Knock knock joke".

7. Draco--I keep wondering whether that was Rupert snorting in laughter in the PS/SS movie, rather than Ron, when Draco introduces himself. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Rupert.

8. Severus--Makes the kid sound very, er, 'severe'. He'll probably not have too many friends, and probably would be called Snivellus by the odd HP fans he comes across at school.

I would prefer to keep names of stars for any pet I have-so I might name a dog Padfoot or whatever, but never a poor wee kid. I would name a kid Molly, but it's one letter away from my name. That's actually really confusing in the end, as my friend found when she named her dog Olly (which is my name minus H), and as the 'H' is silent, well...

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old May 9th, 2008, 9:41 pm
First Year

I've had a couple of crushes on characters - the weirdest one being Skulduggery Pleasant *blushes madly*, because he seems so cool, and just because he's a skeleton doesn't mean I can't have a crush on him. That would be discrimintation to say that cuz he's a skeleton I can't love him.

I also got a kind of crush on Elliot from Anthony Horowitz's Groosham Grange books. He seemed nice.

Pirates are all we can be!
Old May 20th, 2008, 1:56 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

I think that it's ok to like a fictional character and even have a crush on one. Just as long as it isn't taken to extremes, like an obsession and that kind of thing. That would just be downright creepy in my opinion . It's one thing to enjoy reading about them and stuff, but it's a whole other thing when it goes too far.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:42 pm
First Year

What I think is weirder is that I have a crush on a character that I created in one of my novels. It's so... weird. But I see weird as good, so... it's all good!

I think in a way there isn't much difference in having a crush on a real person (except for the fact that you can TALK to the real person in... person!) But what I mean is, even for real people, we tend to imagine them as being perfect and perhaps make up wonderful traits that they really do not have. In a sense, because of all of this stuff we've imagined about them which isn't even true, it's like we have a crush on a fictional person.
I mean I know in my life, I've had several crushes on people but once I got to know them I realized that the person I really had a crush on was the fancified, perfected version of them... and not really them at all, but a fictional person really. SO it's not that much of a stretch to have a crush on a fictional person from a book.

Old May 30th, 2008, 11:47 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagickeeper View Post
I that musical. I went to see it live!

Macavity...

Personally, I don't think a crush on a character is weird...

*quietly thinks of Lupin*

What? I'm dribbling?

Sorry...

Utopia: Teddy Lupin - 2009+

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

And if you're feeling it, take a look at my art!

Old May 31st, 2008, 12:26 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Actually, I don't think it is weird in any way. Why restrain your imagination, why not let your dreams run wild? Falling in love with a fictional character gives us freedom to imagine our lives a lot more fascinating, as if we were a hero/ine in a book, as if we were a part of those amazing worlds/places/times.

Not only have I fallen in love with characters from books numerous times, but I have also had crushes on characters from animated films which weren't even humans (*cough Simba cough*)! And I don't think I'm in the least bit insane or alone. On the contrary, I've met a few girls who agree with me wholeheartedly (on the non-humans thingy) and many of them who have also had fallen for fictional characters. It is so much fun, isn't it?

Meg: I'm a big tough girl. I tie my own sandals and everything.
(Hercules, 1997)

Old May 31st, 2008, 12:58 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Angel View Post
Actually, I don't think it is weird in any way. Why restrain your imagination, why not let your dreams run wild? Falling in love with a fictional character gives us freedom to imagine our lives a lot more fascinating, as if we were a hero/ine in a book, as if we were a part of those amazing worlds/places/times.

Not only have I fallen in love with characters from books numerous times, but I have also had crushes on characters from animated films which weren't even humans (*cough Simba cough*)! And I don't think I'm in the least bit insane or alone. On the contrary, I've met a few girls who agree with me wholeheartedly (on the non-humans thingy) and many of them who have also had fallen for fictional characters. It is so much fun, isn't it?
But not when it's real love, not when you actually desire to have these people/non-humans () as your own. That's not very fun because it will never happen. Plus, loving a fictional character can give you false ideas about real people. Characters can have whatever traits an author chooses to give them, some of which can be very unrealistic and not found in real humans. That's not good to be expecting real people to be like that.

What you described isn't really love IMO. If you love someone, and become too obsessed over them, real life loses its magic. I agree it's okay to like them, but IMO it's just not good to really "love" them, because 1. it will never be answered (duh! ) and 2. real people are not like fictional charcters, so one may be disappointed in the real world when finding out that people aren't up to the Mary-Sure standards sometimes set in fictional works.

Old May 31st, 2008, 1:07 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
But not when it's real love, not when you actually desire to have these people/non-humans () as your own. That's not very fun because it will never happen. Plus, loving a fictional character can give you false ideas about real people. Characters can have whatever traits an author chooses to give them, some of which can be very unrealistic and not found in real humans. That's not good to be expecting real people to be like that.

What you described isn't really love IMO. If you love someone, and become too obsessed over them, real life loses its magic. I agree it's okay to like them, but IMO it's just not good to really "love" them, because 1. it will never be answered (duh! ) and 2. real people are not like fictional charcters, so one may be disappointed in the real world when finding out that people aren't up to the Mary-Sure standards sometimes set in fictional works.
I guess...

but you can dream, can't you?

Utopia: Teddy Lupin - 2009+

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

And if you're feeling it, take a look at my art!

Old May 31st, 2008, 1:09 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandinigirl13 View Post
I guess...

but you can dream, can't you?
If only....

*sigh*

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:38 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Ah, but I wasn't speaking of true love, naturally. I suppose the weaker-minded could fall in love for real, but then it would be a serious mental problem, wouldn't it? I was talking about the possibility to fantasize and imagine what it would be like being part of that world, nothing else, which is entirely harmless. When using the term 'in love', I don't mean it literally. Hope that's clear now.

Meg: I'm a big tough girl. I tie my own sandals and everything.
(Hercules, 1997)

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction