Old July 30th, 2009, 4:55 pm
Sixth Year

Re: The Simpsons

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old August 4th, 2009, 6:02 pm
Suteki da ne

I think that my faviourite seasons are Four, Five, seven and eight

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 9th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Sixth Year

I like the classic seasons the best. The newer ones just don't have the comedy that the older ones did.

Old December 18th, 2009, 12:21 am
Seventh Year

'Twas 20 years ago today that "The Simpsons" premiered!

Old December 18th, 2009, 2:28 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

No show can remain cutting edge for 20 years. That The Simpsons managed to do so for so long (depending on which commentator you listen to the rot set in either from series 6 or 10) is remarkable.

The show can still raise a chuckle but it is no longer as smart or surprising as it once was.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old December 18th, 2009, 8:50 pm
Fifth Year

True. Simpsons are still amusing but not what they once were. I also don't like the way political humor has recently become prominent in the show, (at least many I've seen) with a strong certain leaning. I saw Harry Shearer on the Graham Norton show, and he was just obnoxious. (not Graham -he's funny)
It seems they finally copied something from Family Guy instead of the other way around?
(Family Guy has come into it's own, but it took a couple of seasons to break away from the Simpsons mold)

Old January 11th, 2010, 4:47 pm
First Year

I have to agree I think the writers of the Simpsons are starting to run out of ideas so they bring political humour and mock celebrities. They should be careful so because Family Guy got banned in the US because of that, imagine if the Simpsons got banned.

British movie director (1899 - 1980)
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:07 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emzy1986 View Post
I have to agree I think the writers of the Simpsons are starting to run out of ideas so they bring political humour and mock celebrities. They should be careful so because Family Guy got banned in the US because of that, imagine if the Simpsons got banned.
Seconded. I still like the show ok, but it just isn't as good as it used to be. It would be sad if they did ban the Simpsons due to that. It would be a sad, sad day.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:08 am

Family Guy was not banned in the US -- that would be a serious breach of the creators' First Ammendment rights.

An episode was not broadcast, but that was a corporate decision by the network which is entirely within its rights to refuse to show material it deems inappropriate.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:15 pm
Seventh Year

The Simpsons/Futurama Crossover Crisis!

Old April 29th, 2010, 4:03 am
First Year

I love the older eps. The newer ones are a bit lame. Kind of seems like writers are running out of ideas. Fave ep is when Homer gets Morbidly Obese so he can work from home. Dig the mumu!

Music is my aeroplane
Old April 30th, 2010, 1:25 pm
Suteki da ne

Ah, King Size Homer!

I've watched so many episodes I don't know what my favourite is
But I've recently watched the whole of season 19, and I didn't think that they were as bad as I was expecting- but they were very strange...That one where Homer loses his memory- what????

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old November 8th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Just saw this seasons' Treehouse of Horror (XXI) and it was ok for the most part...

Put under spoiler tags, for those who haven't seen it yet...

Spoiler: show
1) Bart and Milhouse play a board game that make all board games come to life; best part -- seeing Homer play 'Chutes and Ladders' ... it brought back a lot of good memories for me -- 10/10

2) Homer and Marge are on vacation... and end up killing someone... best parts -- when Homer and Marge were kissing... his phone goes off... and it sounds rather inappropriate ... also the ending, where it turns out that everything that happens in this episode came from Maggie's own imagination . It had either a Doctor Who nod or a Clockwork Orange one... but I'm not sure of which though ... 7/10

3) Vampires in Springfield -- a takeoff of Twilight -- a little lame, but still ok... best parts -- seeing the Count from Sesame Street, and the Edward knock off interact with Lisa, biggest irony being he was being played by Harry Potter himself, Daniel Radcliffe ... 7/10

4) Loved the Office takeoff at the beginning of the episode too -- 8/10

Overall this episode gets about a 7/10 from me.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; November 8th, 2010 at 11:29 pm.
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:24 pm
Seventh Year

I thought it was a pretty weak installment, "Treehouse of Horror XXI." The best segment was "Tweenlight," IMO, but the conceit of having Dan Radcliffe voice an Edward Cullen stand-in named Edmond in a Twilight parody was funnier than the actual execution of it. I had problems with both of the other segments, beyond them just not being very funny: The first was very much like both the Transformers parody from a couple years back, and a segment from "Treehouse of Horror VI" (one of the best), "Attack of the 50-Foot Eyesores" I think it was called, where all of the advertising icons come to life and wreak havoc in Springfield. And the second segment...
yes, the second segment ends with the reveal that it was all in Maggie's twisted little imagination. So, why couldn't that have just been a regular episode, then?

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; November 8th, 2010 at 11:39 pm.
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
I thought it was a pretty weak installment, "Treehouse of Horror XXI." The best segment was "Tweenlight," IMO, but the conceit of having Dan Radcliffe voice an Edward Cullen stand-in named Edmond in a Twilight parody was funnier than the actual execution of it. I had problems with both of the other segments, beyond them just not being very funny: The first was very much like a segment from "Treehouse of Horror VI" (one of the best), "Attack of the 50-Foot Eyesores" I think it was called, where all of the advertising icons come to life and wreak havoc in Springfield, and also very much like the Transformers parody from a couple years back. And the second segment...
yes, the second segment ends with the reveal that it was all in Maggie's twisted little imagination. So, why couldn't that have just been a regular episode,then?
Yea it wasn't one of their better ones.

And the second one, just was lame. The ending was ok, but overall -- not one of their strongest efforts.

Old October 7th, 2011, 10:25 pm

The Simpsons is now facing cancellation after 23 years due to a salary dispute. I just heard about the news yesterday and I'm feeling rather mixed about it. But as much as I love the show, I do think it's time that they take a pay cut.

Getting paid $8 million per episode is just WAY too much given the economy we're in. That's just rediculous.

link to article about it

Thoughts?

Old October 7th, 2011, 11:08 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Thoughts?
I heard about this as well and I'm actually kind of gutted about it . I don't really watch the show anymore, but this actually feels like the end of era. The Simpsons have been running for practically my whole life.

To clarify, did the article not say they were on about $8million a year (for about 22weeks work), rather than per episode though? I can kind of see their point about not wanting to accept a pay cut (did Fox even give a reason?), but I'd still rather take the pay cut than risk losing my job, especially if it was one as good as working on the Simpsons.

Old October 9th, 2011, 12:58 am
Sixth Year

Yeah, I heard about this, and I think it's ridiculous. They should take the paycut instead of being so greedy. I hope this gets resolved soon. As bad as the episodes have been, it would be better to keep it around. My mom read in the paper that ratings were also going down, which isn't surprising.

Old October 9th, 2011, 2:34 am
Seventh Year

The dispute is over, with the cast having settled on a 30% pay cut, and the show's been renewed for 2 more seasons.

Old October 9th, 2011, 2:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Yeah, I heard about this, and I think it's ridiculous. They should take the paycut instead of being so greedy.
It's not greedy. The Simpsons makes a fortune for Fox and it's the creative team which makes the show what it is. I'd rather see the money go to the cast and crew than studio executives.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television