Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old January 14th, 2013, 2:47 am
Curse Breaker

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Phantom call? What? What does that mean? Carroll asked for the freeze timeout and was granted it. That was it.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2013, 1:08 am
First Year

Patriots win as expected. Baltimore will be tough

Old January 16th, 2013, 1:50 am
Curse Breaker

Yes, and yes. Though I hope the Pats win by two scores and it doesn't come down to Steve Gregory being able to pull a Sterling Moore impersonation.

Old January 19th, 2013, 7:54 pm
First Year

Championship Picks

San Francisco 34
Atlanta 17
Combine Kaepernick with SF's D not good for Atlanta.

New England 37 Baltimore 34. I think the Ravens may be a little tired after the Denver game, Patriots wear the Baltimore D in the second half, win

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:15 am
Curse Breaker

I'm hoping for a comfortable/veging on blowout win for the Pats, and I don't see how the Falcons will be able to stop Kapernick with their best edge defender questionable. However, that could be a real shootout if Ryan has a good game, that Falcons receiving corps is bananas.

Old January 20th, 2013, 2:53 am
First Year

No way Patriots blow out Balt

Old January 20th, 2013, 2:59 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah I can see the Pats winning (though naturally I'm hoping for an upset), but I certainly don't see it being a blowout.

Yes Yes Yes

i'm in slytherin!
Old January 21st, 2013, 2:53 am
First Year

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo

Old February 3rd, 2013, 6:41 pm
First Year

Ravens 27
49ers 24

Old February 4th, 2013, 4:10 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Not a bad game. The officials were easy on both teams I think, and barring turnovers both teams looked pretty good. I would have loved to see a fair catch kick though...

Old February 4th, 2013, 4:42 am
Curse Breaker

Even if Koch hadn't boomed it and Ginn had fielded the kick where he was tackled, Akers was nursing...a hamstring pull or something. No way he could have connected from long distance. It was probably an okay no call on that fourth down play, but the defender clearly had two fistfuls of Crabtreee's jersey.

On a side note--I find myself inclined to genuinely dislike both teams now. Both behave like the Raiders of the 70s with less justification than they want us to believe. Makes it very hard to applaud them even when...if they do laudable things. Bye Ray...wait to sign that enormous ESPN deal until after your son graduates from Miami. Bye Ed, good luck on the free agent market. Congrats Flacco, you've just secured DRAMATIC overpayment for your services. Congratulations on the title Baltimore fans...remember this moment when Flacco makes you relive the Kyle Boller odyssey and/or the Alex Smith ordeal. Remember how happy you were to see him rewarded so handsomely (and talk to any acquaintances who are Buffalo fans, they'll be the ones best able to commiserate with you).

ETA--I do understand why they're doing it though. Last time they were here, they chased a solution and made a huge mistake. However, instead of $50 million guaranteed and nearly a decade contract, franchise him for $15 mill, and wtch his uneven performance not produce in the playoffs next year. Then, offer him 12 million a year over six years front-loaded with good signing money (still very generous for his performance and a considerable outlay) and rebuild the O-line and defense from the retirements and free agency defections of this year in the 2013 draft, and grab another receiver in the 2014 draft to groom for Boldin's slot. $50 million guaranteed for quarterback with an O-line and offense in transition is a LOT.

Last edited by jordmundt6; February 4th, 2013 at 12:43 pm.
Old February 4th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Even if Koch hadn't boomed it and Ginn had fielded the kick where he was tackled, Akers was nursing...a hamstring pull or something. No way he could have connected from long distance. It was probably an okay no call on that fourth down play, but the defender clearly had two fistfuls of Crabtreee's jersey.
I didn't have a problem overall with the officiating, but I think that one really should have been called. Why officials and commentators feel it's better to miss a call than to anger people by throwing a late flag is beyond me. I understand that they don't want to be seen as determining the outcome, but only a tiny handful of rules depends on what time is left on the clock, and holding isn't one of them.

But I agree, that would have been a nearly impossible place kick even under normal circumstances. However, a ball fielded at the 50, say (which of course would have been ridiculous), wouldn't preclude the possibility of a 60 yard punt. The rule is plain that either kind of kick scores the same.

Last edited by canismajoris; February 4th, 2013 at 3:06 pm.
Old February 5th, 2013, 2:23 am
Curse Breaker

The argument for no-call on Crabtree was that he was pushing off before the guy got two fistfuls of his jersey. The one that really should get you is Delaney Walker tackled to the ground out of the slot. That's a penalty in the XFL.

Old February 6th, 2013, 2:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
The argument for no-call on Crabtree was that he was pushing off before the guy got two fistfuls of his jersey. The one that really should get you is Delaney Walker tackled to the ground out of the slot. That's a penalty in the XFL.
I don't really see the "both hands" argument on that though.... trying to get away from a player who's holding you is not quite the same thing as pushing off, is it? (And I watched a replay about a dozen times, the defensive player was holding before the receiver made any gesture toward pushing.)

Regardless, it was a pretty entertaining game between two teams I never expected to see in it.

Old September 11th, 2013, 9:32 pm
Curse Breaker

Absolutely no action here to start the season? Nothing on the rash of safeties, or injuries, or Peyton's dominance or the Giants' turnovers? Nothing? Really? C'mon folks, these forums are still open for a little bit. Let's talk to one another.

Pats/Jets grudge match with Brady having almost no proven weapons (Vereen played an entire game with a fractured wrist, and Amendola played a half with a moderate-to-severe groin pull). Sudfeld has a hip issue. So, it's the Hawaiian with the impossible name, Edelman, and Ridley who's been fumble-prone tomorrow. I still think they should beat the Jets because the Jets look awful...but that's not a lot of offensive firepower.

Last edited by jordmundt6; October 20th, 2013 at 7:31 pm.
Old September 13th, 2013, 7:40 pm
Snidget of Champions

From last week I'll comment on my favorite team: the Packers looked pretty much like they did last year. They put so much emphasis on preventing the 49ers run game that they were decimated via the pass. Inexcusable. On offense, they - just like last year - tried to balance the pass/run ratio, which ended in several premature ends to drives because they didn't follow their strengths.

Spot-on with your prediction about the Patriots, jordmunt. Brady clearly showed some agitation at the seemingly poor communication.

Some predictions for week 1:

St. Louis v. Atlanta - Atlanta. Just a superior team.

Cleveland v. Baltimore - Baltimore. Would like to pick the Browns for the upset, but I imagine the Ravens will be feisty after that huge loss in week 1.

Carolina v. Buffalo - Carolina. I expect Newton to shred the Buffalo defense.

Minnesota v. Chicago - Chicago. Peterson won't be enough.

Washington v. Green Bay - Green Bay. Mostly due to Griffin's rust. Otherwise, expect a repeat of last week.

Tennessee v. Houston - Houston. Texans are just a better team.

Miami v. Indianapolis - Miami. I think the Colts defense will falter before Miami's.

Dallas v. Kansas City - Kansas City. Gut feeling.

San Diego v. Philadelphia - Philadelphia. Another blown lead by the Chargers seems possible. The Eagles seem like a resilient team this year that's trying to prove something.

Detroit v. Arizona - Arizona (IF Fitzgerald is healthy). I like Carson Palmer in a shootout.

New Orleans v. Tampa Bay - New Orleans. Tampa was incredibly sloppy last week; I imagine they'll be better this week, but I think the Saints are too disciplined to let the Bucs into the game.

Denver v. New York Giants - Denver. But look for another Eli comeback that will come up short.

Jacksonville v. Oakland - Oakland. The Raiders defense should give their offense more chances than the Jaguars'.

San Francisco v. Seattle - Seattle. I'm curious to see how the 49ers shape up against a team that's not so stymied by them (i.e. Green Bay). I think the Seahawks have the 49ers' number.

Pittsburgh v. Cincinnati - Cincinnati. Something doesn't seem to be clicking with the Steelers.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old December 29th, 2013, 5:19 pm
Curse Breaker

An entire season of no discussion or action. A lot of that is probably my fault. Less than an hour away from the early game kickoffs for the last week. Almost all the playoff teams in the AFC are known, but no seeds are known. Pats could rise to 1 with a win and a Broncos loss of concentration or fall to third with a loss behind either the Bengals (with a Bengals win over the Ravens) or the Colts (if the Colts win and the Bengals lose). The NFC is complete madness. Arizona has a legitimate shot to finish the season 11-5 and miss the playoffs while two of the division winners could be 9-7 or (in the case of the Packers) 8-7-1. A karmic counterbalance for the miracle run of '08?

Old January 11th, 2014, 1:09 am
Snidget of Champions

I would have enjoyed seeing the Cardinals in the playoffs. As it were, the only team in the NFC I cared about was the Packers. The AFC has much more endearing teams, I think, though the stories of the NFC teams are great. I'm hoping for a Broncos-Seahawks Super Bowl. I'm curious to see how Peyton plays with so much on his shoulders. I imagine Rivers will be playing as if his life depends upon it: we'll see if Peyton has that urgency.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 13th, 2014, 4:24 pm
Curse Breaker

The Chargers defense hung in and actually forced a couple turnovers, and Rivers led a furious rally to make a game of it, but they couldn't get the last stop to even try to force overtime. I don't know how different it would have been if Novak hadn't slipped on the early field goal since Prater actually missed one, but it was definitely a game. I'm hoping for a Pats blowout to send Peyton into retirement (although get serious, the only way he'd retire is if he went out on top like Lewis last year, no matter what the doctors said).

Old March 12th, 2014, 5:06 am
Curse Breaker

So after the injury disasters for the Texans, Falcons, and Pats--and the epic collapse of the Peyton Manning Broncos (small dose of derisive cheer at that one) and the emergence of the Seattle Seahawks--we enter free agency.

I confess to being completely confused. In consecutive years, the Pats have let their most dominant and visible offensive and defensive players (outside quarterback) walk to the Broncos at precisely this moment. Oh, and I guess they're hoping the Giants or Raiders or somebody will make an insultingly low offer to Edelman. Why are the Pats so confident in their ability to draft this year? If things keep going like this, even Brady may beg to be let out. They estimate he only has three or four more years left before retirement, I'm sure he'd give a LOT to get a fourth ring (and maybe more). Yeesh.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports