Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old November 3rd, 2007, 5:28 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

The NFL Football Thread v2

Time for version 2 of the National Football League thread!

A few questions to start us off:

1. Who is your favorite team?

2. Who do you think will win the Super Bowl?

3. Who do you want to win the Super Bowl?

Feel free to answer or ignore the questions, and discuss away!

From version 1

sllagnire:    

I have a friend who is a Colts fan (and I live in what is clearly Pats territory). She lost a bet with another friend and now has to wear my Brady jersey all day today and tell everyone she meets that the Pats are the best team in the NFL. She also has to have "Brady will you marry me?" in her away message. I find it so amusing. So glad the Pats won. Yay Pats!!!  

TheLastHorcrux:    

sllagnire- Why would you force such an intelligent person to tell such a terrible lie?  

DillusionalHH:    

I would normally root for the Patriots, but as a Bills fan it's getting really fustrating knowing that we're going to be stuck in second in the AFC east for the conceivable future*. I mean, for three games in a row I've gone online to check the standings and each time it's like "Why do I keep doing this, it's not going to change anytime soon* So, in conclusion, I rooted for the Colts on Sunday.
*this also includes the possibility of losing against Jets, more than once.

HouseStark:    

I'd just like everyone to know that I went 10-4(against the spread) in picks this week, and 4 of my 5 fantasy teams won <!-- / message -->   

<!-- / message -->

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.

Last edited by gertiekeddle; November 6th, 2007 at 6:52 am. Reason: edited pending sentence out and posts from v1 in
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

I'll answer the questions

1. Patriots (born and bred a Pats fan, can remember how the "earned" the number one pick that produced Bledsoe

2. Patriots...Colts will give them a great game in the AFC title game, but I think that the Pats will pull through.

3. this should be self-evident

Wow, Baltimore got dismantled last night...Baltimore and Denver just aren't the same teams they were in the past few years.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old November 6th, 2007, 4:42 pm
First Year

What do you expect when the Steelers got essentially a "short field" to run up the score from all those turnovers?

I expect the Steelers to be serious title contenders along with the Patriots and Colts.

Old November 6th, 2007, 7:03 pm
Second Year

I think I answered all of these in the previous thread, or at least said enough that you should be able to figure it out. If not:

Colts all the way. Been a fan all my life- I am NOT a bandwagon fan. Got photos of me when I was 7 years old at a 1991 Colts game to prove it. They went 1-15 that year and the stadium was almost empty. I don't remember who they were playing (I think it was the Browns) but they got blown out that day.

I think the Patriots have the best shot at it, but many Pats fans seem to be making the same mistake I have made several times as a Colts fan and assume that they have already won. The season is only half over and once the playoffs start, one bad game, or even one mistake in an otherwise good game can end your season. Also, if the Patriots were to lose Brady or Moss, their season would be over. I have all the respect in the world for the Patriots' season so far, but last Sunday the Colts proved that the Patriots aren't invincible. I think the AFC will be represented by either New England or Indianapolis and the NFC by Dallas or possibly Green Bay, with the AFC team winning. But as I said, anything can happen.

Obviously I want the Colts to win, but the AFC is so tough this year that the biggest battle will be to get to the Super Bowl.

On to other things, what do you think about Chad Johnson getting carried off the field on a stretcher on Sunday? It looks like he's okay, but just when it seems like the Bengals' luck can't get any worse, it does.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old November 6th, 2007, 7:59 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I like Chad Johnson - he's a mouth-flapper but he's doing all in good fun. His interviews are hilarious at times. I hope he's not seriously hurt.

It's funny how the Colts and Pats mirror each other in so many ways since about the late 1980's - they both hit the lowest of the low, and now they're the league elite. And they have the league's best front offices and two of the league's premier coaches (though they couldn't do it in more different ways as coaches).

Pats without Randy are still looking at Super Bowl contention, but not this whole undefeated season thing. Pats without Brady = playoffs, but not Super Bowl contention.

Old November 7th, 2007, 12:41 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

The Lions -- they're doing well this year.

Sadly, the Patriots...

The Lions, of course -- but due to how well the Patriots are playing this year, they most likely don't have that much of a chance .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 8th, 2007, 4:24 am
Second Year

Here are my picks for this week:

Atlanta @ Carolina
The Panthers should win this one without much trouble.

Minnesota @ Green Bay
I think all of the NFC North has been surprising. Besides the surprisingly good Packers and the near complete collapse of the Bears, the Lions have been good and the Vikings aren't as bad as expected. The Packers will win this one though.

Denver @ Kansas City
The struggling Chargers have left the AFC West wide open, and I have to give the edge to the Chiefs right now.

Buffalo @ Miami
People are saying the Dolphins will go 0-16. I agree.

St. Louis @ New Orleans
After a slow start, the Saints are back. They have a soft schedule from here. They could win out the season to finish 12-4.

Cleveland @ Pittsburgh
Normally this would almost be a freebie, but the Browns are playing well right now. They'll be a playoff contender in the next few years. But right now the Steelers are hot. I still think Indianapolis had the best shot, but Pittsburgh may be good enough to stop the Patriots from going 16-0.

Jacksonville @ Tennessee
Rooting for the Jaguars just to give the Colts a bit of breathing room, but I think the Titans are too good. They are possibly the most underrated team in the NFL right now.

Philadelphia @ Washington
The Eagles have some major issues to work out.

Cincinnati @ Baltimore
So which preseason playoff hopeful has been a bigger disappointment? I guess I would say the Bengals. At least the Ravens are still a longshot, although I don't give them much of a chance with games against New England, Indianapolis, and Pittsburgh remaining.

Detroit @ Arizona
The Lions are having a good year. I think the NFC North will go to Green Bay, but a Wild Card suddenly doesn't seem like an unreasonable goal.

Dallas @ NY Giants
I think this may be the game of the week. Eli and the Giants will pull off the minor upset at home.

Chicago @ Oakland
The Bears' season is all but over. All that is left to salvage is a little bit of their pride. The Raiders' season was over a while ago, and they don't have much pride to salvage.

Indianapolis @ San Diego
Which Chargers team will show up? If the good Chargers show up they might have a chance. If its the bad Chargers it'll be over by halftime.

San Fransisco @ Seattle
Two teams that I couldn't care less about. Seattle is a little better and they're at home.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

Proud student of House

Last edited by TheLastHorcrux; November 8th, 2007 at 4:29 am.
Old November 8th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Atlanta @ Carolina
I'm going with Carolina, I think they can beat Atlanta in a close game.

Minnesota @ Green Bay
This will be a very close game, but the Packers are the better team this year and will come out with a win.

Denver @ Kansas City
Kansas City will run over Denver in a hard-fought out game.

Buffalo @ Miami
The Dolphins will get beaten handily by Buffalo in this week's game. They just don't have that good of a team this year.

St. Louis @ New Orleans
New Orleans will come out on top, beating St. Louis in a close game.

Cleveland @ Pittsburgh
I'm going with Pittsburgh this week -- Cleveland has a good team, but not good enough to beat Pittsburgh this year. Pittsburgh will win against them in a tough, close scoring game.

Jacksonville @ Tennessee
Tennessee will beat Jacksonville easily in this weeks' game.

The Eagles will get beaten by Washington this week, their team just isn't that good anymore.

Cincinnati @ Baltimore
The Ravens will beat Cincinnati in a rout this week.

Detroit @ Arizona
The Lions have come alive this year and have a good shot of at least being a Wild Card contenders this year. They'll beat Arizona in a hard-fought game.

Dallas @ NY Giants
Oh, this game will be close, but Dallas will end up coming out on top -- they seem to have the better team.

Chicago @ Oakland
I'm going with the Bears, since Oakland is the worse team, in my opinion. They both have had tough seasons this year, but the Bears will beat them in a close game.

Indianapolis @ San Diego
The Colts will win this one in a hard-fought game.

San Fransisco @ Seattle
Seattle will come out on top this time around, San Francisco just doesn't have that good of a team this year, sadly.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old November 8th, 2007, 8:05 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Picks:
Carolina
Green Bay (much better than I thought)
KC (wow, this division is not what it once was...)
Buffalo (Miami should be thankful they still get to face the Jets)
New Orleans keeps it going in a closer game than some may think (Stephen Jackson helps!)
Pitt in a close one
Jax in a mini-upset
Washington stays in the wild-card hunt with a victory
Cincy wins (not confident of this pick)
Detroit keeps it going
Dallas in a close one on the road - very, very hard game to pick
Chicago - if they kick to Hestor, that's another TD right there
Colts keep SD's woes going
Two disappointing teams in the final game; but I'll take San Fran. No idea why.

Up in Cleveland, I wonder how much of Derek Anderson's play is because Quinn's behind him. This is much like the Kitna / Carson Palmer situation, where Kitna's best year (before this year) was Palmer's rookie yet.

Old November 10th, 2007, 2:31 am
First Year

Steelers, first, I bleed black and gold, but the Colts are another favorite now..just love Manning...oddly enough, I became a fan after the Steelers beat them in playoffs

I'm going with the Steelers. Monday night's game gave me new faith...Big Ben is revived..but Brett Favre has been "raised from the dead" (I think Bill Parcells said that) so I think they are good contenders too.

The Steelers

True greatness comes when you are tested-Theodore Roosevelt.

You improvise, you overcome, you adapt.
Proud firefighter

Proud Hufflepuff!
Old November 10th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Registered Animagus

Atlanta @ Carolina
I am not really a fan of both of these teams but Carolina seems better.

Minnesota @ Green Bay
Packers... though I hate what they did against the Chiefs last week

Denver @ Kansas City
Kansas City of course! I wouldn't bet against them!

Buffalo @ Miami
Miami just ain't good this year.

St. Louis @ New Orleans
As much as I like St. Louis, the Saints are better than them

Cleveland @ Pittsburgh
I like the Steelers, my second favorite team!

Jacksonville @ Tennessee
Titans are good this year...

Washington has proved themselves lately.

Cincinnati @ Baltimore
Ravens, but I might be wrong on this one

Detroit @ Arizona
Lions are so much better than the Cardinals.

Dallas @ NY Giants
As much as I hate the Cowboys, they are impressive this year.

Chicago @ Oakland
I hate the Raiders... nuff said.

Indianapolis @ San Diego
The Colts will run over the Bolts

San Fransisco @ Seattle
I may be wrong... but, I choose the 49ers

----------------------
As a lot of people have said, the Chiefs are the best in the AFC West and I am so happy about that! And if my predictions are right, the Chiefs will be the only winners in that division this week !

Old November 10th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Second Year

Fury- You like the Chiefs AND the Rams? Isn't that combination illegal? By definition, don't you have to hate one in order to like the other? Next, somebody's going to claim they like the Patriots and the Colts, or the Cowboys and the Redskins. Where does the madness end?

Proud student of House
Old November 11th, 2007, 7:03 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastHorcrux View Post
Fury- You like the Chiefs AND the Rams? Isn't that combination illegal? By definition, don't you have to hate one in order to like the other? Next, somebody's going to claim they like the Patriots and the Colts, or the Cowboys and the Redskins. Where does the madness end?
No it is not an illegal combination! I am all for a Rams-Chiefs Super Bowl. I would of course be rooting for the Chiefs. But I have always wanted it to happen.

Old November 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Was the Packer game amazing or what? Okay so it isn't over yet clockwise, but it is 34-0.

That was such a well played game on the Packer's end, they had the ball pretty much the whole game!

Old November 11th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Defender of Dogs

I just was watching the Cleveland-Pittsburgh game on CBS. The Browns' kick returner (sorry, I don't know his name, but he has long dreads) turned probably the most amazing play I've ever seen in my life. After Pit. scored, they had a great kickoff, to about the five. The returner fumbled it, and it went to the goal line. He ran back, picked it up, and picked right through the Pittsburgh defense, going back and forth. He scored on a 100-yard kickoff return. UNBELIEVABLE. Pittsburgh challenged whether he stepped out of bounds or not, but the play stood. Cleveland's now winning 28-24, in the fourth. Go Browns!

I'm an enormous Pats fan. I was pretty much over the moon last week when they took down Indy. I firmly believe they will become the next team to have an undefeated season. Tom Brady and Randy Moss are absolutely unstoppable, their schedule isn't too hard after Indy, and their linebackers (who made the Sports Illustrted cover last week) is unbelievable. What about everyone else? Can they do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I am all for a Rams-Chiefs Super Bowl. I would of course be rooting for the Chiefs. But I have always wanted it to happen.
Unfortunately, the Rams don't have a chance this year. I'm unhappy that they aren't playing the Dolphins this year. First the undefeated Pats-Colts game, then two winless teams, battling for the first draft pick.

Old November 12th, 2007, 12:27 am

The Lions lost -- 31-21. Maybe next time... I'm not giving up on them though, they were having an off night and everyone has those every now and again.

Old November 12th, 2007, 2:04 am
Second Year

The Rams finally got their first win today.

Watching the Colts-Chargers game right now. Not going so good. Peyton has thrown 3 interceptions and the first quarter isn't even over yet, and the Colts just got screwed out of an interception return to the Chargers 6 yard line because one of the officials blew it dead when they shouldn't have.

Proud student of House
Old November 12th, 2007, 3:36 am
Defender of Dogs

Peyton Manning- 5 INTERCPTIONS after 3 quarters. Career high, and the game isn't even over yet! I have a very strong disliking of the Colts, because I'm the world's biggest Pats' fan. Just an interesting little tidbit: today, Manning has 5 picks, more than Tom Brady (4) has ALL YEAR. I think we know who really is the best, and he's wearing #12.

Old November 12th, 2007, 2:49 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Everyone's allowed an off-game - Brady had his Denver(s). I was surprised that Indy lost, but two things should be noted: they almost won in spite of their two key players - Vinatieri and Manning - having really "off" days. Their defense kept them in that, and I highly doubt both those two will be misfiring that badly again. And they were shorthanded on offense (how they allowed that to happen, I don't know - injuries are one thing, but I thought they would have a couple more at least dress).

Who's Indy's next opponent? I feel like Indy's going to play angry next week and I think they're getting a blowout win.

Old November 12th, 2007, 3:50 pm
Defender of Dogs

The Colts are playing the Chiefs next week. At 4-5, that game should be a win for Indy.

I quite agree with you, chparadise, about everyone having off days. That playoff game in Denver two years was really depressing for me, as a Pats' fan. Our Super Bowl streak over! Manning really just did have a very off day, and I think (even though I hope not!) that this was the first and last time he ever throws six picks.

Go Pats!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports