Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

The Percy Jackson & the Olympians series

Old May 19th, 2009, 2:21 am
Second Year

Re: The Percy Jackson & the Olympians series

I'm reading the Last Olympian right now, and I dunno why I'm posting here, instead of finishing it..but it's sooo awesome! It's making me cry, laugh, and go, "Aw Lukey..." at the same time.

Donít you ask me if its love my dear
Love donít really mean a thing round here
The fake scenes the plastic-made dreams
Say you donít want it, say you donít want it
{One Night Only}

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2009, 4:27 am
Curse Breaker

You must be near the end then--the aww Luke stuff doesn't start until you meet the shattered shell of May Castellan and doesn't really kick in until--well, near the end of the functional plot. I suppose I should be relieved that Hera receded into the background for most of The Last Olympian after her truly scary bit in Battle of the Labyrinth.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old May 19th, 2009, 9:42 pm
Third Year

I love the series. I can't believe I haven't posted here.

I wish i could be in the DA.
Proud supporter of Dobby, Enemy of Bellatrix

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:30 pm
Seventh Year

I'm buying the first novel of this series soon. Probably sometime in the next two weeks.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old May 20th, 2009, 1:26 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
You must be near the end then--the aww Luke stuff doesn't start until you meet the shattered shell of May Castellan and doesn't really kick in until--well, near the end of the functional plot. I suppose I should be relieved that Hera receded into the background for most of The Last Olympian after her truly scary bit in Battle of the Labyrinth.
Yea, I was at the very end, y'know..after the...yea...I cried so hard. Poor Luke.
I thought the May/Hermes and Maria/Hades pairings were so cute. It was so sweet how much those Gods loved those women.

I didn't like Hera all that much. I dunno, I just didn't like her. At all.

I didn't like Rachael either.

Donít you ask me if its love my dear
Love donít really mean a thing round here
The fake scenes the plastic-made dreams
Say you donít want it, say you donít want it
{One Night Only}

Old May 20th, 2009, 10:20 am
Curse Breaker

All this anti-Rachel venom, please explain it. I was as much a proponent of the eventual pairing for our hero as anyone, but I actually liked Rachel and thought she presented an interesting alternative. You have to wonder if the tragedy intensified the emotion for both Hermes and Hades, but they did seem to truly care for May and Maria more than the usual amount. It's sad that two favorite sons who, under normal circumstances (whatever those are for half-bloods) would really like each other, ended up as mortal enemies and yet heroes in the same tragic tale. I'm hoping Percy bucks the trend and ends up with a happy ending (even after the next Great Prophecy), like his namesake.

Old May 20th, 2009, 11:01 pm
Mouse

Okay I finally finished the last book. I'm pretty pleased with the resolution, especially Luke. Percy's "choice" at the end was a little lame after all the overhype but the overall outcome was satisfying even though it was pretty clearly going to wind up that way.

I don't mind Rachel. She doesn't add much to the plot as a whole although I did enjoy the backstory on the Oracle who reminds me a lot of the Archive from the Dresden Files.

I would also rather see Percy in an advisory role than as the Hero. It's time for someone else to take up the mantle.

Old May 21st, 2009, 7:59 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, with the curse he's bearing, he's going to end up doing a lot of heavy lifting at major battles unless he dies in the first big battle of the new series. I liked the end, including Percy's "choice"--I think it was just a colossal misread of the prophecy to begin with. It was about a child of "one of the greatest gods" which could have been any of the Olympians and the brothers' egos forced the bargain and the animosity. That was actually a solid twist. I'm just hoping Percy and Annabeth get a chance to be advisors and become "the Jacksons" as I termed them in an earlier post.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 2:33 am
Seventh Year

First novel of this series arrived today via UPS. Hoping to read it in two weeks. Other novels ahead of it. lol...

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old June 3rd, 2009, 1:38 pm
Second Year

Never heard of, but according to all of you they're worth reading. So I will

It does not do good to dwell on dreams, and forget to live.

'So, did you and Ginny do it?'
Old June 3rd, 2009, 7:42 pm
Second Year

I love this series SO SO much! My brother's been telling me to read The Lightning Thief so i finally started reading it yesterday...and I finished it! It was really good! I can't wait to get more books from the series!

Old July 30th, 2009, 6:32 pm
First Year

I think I just stumbled upon my heaven. . .

Old July 31st, 2009, 2:35 am
Second Year

I really love this series. it gives a modern take on the classic mythology. i am dying to read the Last Olympian, ive got it on hold at the library! i cant believe how Riordan just left that HUGE cliffhanger at the end of Battle at the Labyrinth. It was inbelieveable, and left us going crazy on how they would defeat him! uuuhh, i cant WAIT TO READ ITTT!!!!!!!! i

Wit Beyond Measure, is Man's Greatest Treasure

Old July 31st, 2009, 7:36 pm
First Year

It's SSSOOOOOO fabulous!!! I LOVE IT!

My friends and I used to be very very obsessed with it (still are somewhat) and we decided that my father is Hades and my mother Athena! AKA slytherclaw (which is what I was sorted as! thankfully the claw won over!!)

You havn't read The Last Olympian yet?!! YOU POOR THING!!!

Old August 3rd, 2009, 4:33 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

My kids LOVE this series. I am on the third book, and I am enjoying it. Does anyone else feel like Percy and co are written "older" than the Potter kids? I find it hard to believe that they are 11 or 12, they read more like they are in their later teens. They do not have the innocence that Harry and friends maintained even to the last book.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old September 21st, 2009, 1:58 am
Sixth Year

I just started this series and am about halfway thru the first book. So far, I am enjoying it but I actually think this series is a lot more similar to harry potter than twilight. Instead of wizards we have greek mythology. Half blood hill is their version of hogwarts, with the different cabins somewhat analogous to the gryffindor. etc. For that reason I can't say I am completely engrossed with this series since I feel like they did knock off harry potter to a certain degree, even with the titles. " Percy Jackson and the...". It's just so reminiscent of the HP titles. I thought the last series I read.. city of bones from the mortal instruments trilogy was more original.

Still I am only on the first book, and I won't be surprised if I get addicted to it as the series progresses.

Old October 8th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
My kids LOVE this series. I am on the third book, and I am enjoying it. Does anyone else feel like Percy and co are written "older" than the Potter kids? I find it hard to believe that they are 11 or 12, they read more like they are in their later teens. They do not have the innocence that Harry and friends maintained even to the last book.
Sorry, it's been a while, but I thought you deserved a response anyway.
Yes, PJ and co. do seem a lot more "adult" to me than HP and co. do. I'm not even sure that I could tell you the difference - just that there is one. Honestly, if I had to choose a group to hang out with based on personalities, I'd pick Percy and gang. But if I was worried about safety - well Harry and his friends don't always seem under attack the way Percy is.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old October 9th, 2009, 2:08 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Maybe because...they're always being attacked? They have to take the threat very seriously. Unlike Harry and co., for the first few books, he can just take it easy, go to a school where he's safe, and maybe fight a bad guy at the end (of a book).

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old October 9th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
I just finished the second book and I am loving them too I think what I enjoy most is the fun, modern take this author has on greek mythology. It's just hilarious.

Yes, these kids do seem older but isn't annabeth supposed to be 14 or 15? Percy is 12 and I think she is supposed to be a couple of yrs older than him.

Old October 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
I just finished the second book and I am loving them too I think what I enjoy most is the fun, modern take this author has on greek mythology. It's just hilarious.

Yes, these kids do seem older but isn't annabeth supposed to be 14 or 15? Percy is 12 and I think she is supposed to be a couple of yrs older than him.
Nah, their the same age.

Proud Gryffindor
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction