Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

The Percy Jackson & the Olympians series

Old March 9th, 2008, 4:28 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: The Percy Jackson & the Olympians series

Necromancer--No such luck on the CDs. Apparently the twits are happy with his voice characterizations, though I can't think why. I think the tone of the narrative is too adolescent for Jim Dale, but there are plenty of talented voice actors they could have found instead of the guy they used.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2008, 3:45 am
Mouse

Has anyone finished Battle of the Labyrinth yet? Opinions? Theories?

Old May 22nd, 2008, 5:28 am
Curse Breaker

Afraid I don't have a bunch of theories as of yet. I'm glad that Nico woke up, that his time away from the action allowed him to realize that Bianca's fate isn't Percy's fault. I'm pleased that he wants to help against Kronos--but I have a sneaking suspicion that his plan of action will involve the sacrifice of the Ophiotaurus. Percy's interaction with Calypso is interesting, he's probably the worthiest of the heroes that the gods have sent to torment her.

With regard to Hera--here's the scary thing. It's entirely possible that she did everything she said she did to help Percy in quest within the Labyrinth. It's even MORE likely that she did NONE of those things and is just taking credit for the actions of her children. However--we have proof positive that Percy has spectacular taste in enemies, and we saw Hera in a light that's quite consistent with her appearances in contributing mythology. She is, without doubt, the scariest *WOOF* on Olympus.

I really enjoyed the Poseidon designating Percy as his favorite son--and I can completely buy that as genuine.

Old June 18th, 2008, 5:30 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Has anyone finished Battle of the Labyrinth yet? Opinions? Theories?
I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. But I want to SOOO bad!! I saw it in Barnes and Nobles a couple imes, but I couldn't buy it because, unfortunately, I'm kind of low on money right now. And my mom won't help me out, either, so I guess I'll just have to wait until I get some decent babysitting jobs.

EDIT:

Has anyone else heard that they are making The Lightning Thief into a film for 2009? I am so excited!! I made a thread for it a while ago in the movie forum, too, if you want to check that out.

Last edited by GrangerHermione; June 18th, 2008 at 5:49 am.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:27 pm
Curse Breaker

Apparently, the release date is November 2009. I'm sort of on the fence about Labyrinth. I'll wait for more folks to finish before I expand on that.

Old June 22nd, 2008, 8:07 pm
First Year

I've read all the books, and I really like them. I mean, going to Half-Blood Camp is third on my impossible life-changing dreams, right after, of course, Hogwarts and X-Mansion.

Battle of the Labyrinth, IMO, is not my favorite of the series. I mean, it was good but I don't think it had the same magic as the others, and the plot was a little too choppy for me. Also, I hoped Percy's character would mature more, but he's not very different from 12-year-old Percy and 15-year-old Percy. I also get really annoyed when information/anwsers are about to come and something gets in the way, like "I decided not to ask" or "there was a big explosion, and so-and-so couldn't finish explaining some important something-something," but that's just me. And jordmundt6, I agree that Hera is a bit... delusional, but I'd have to think there are scarier gods on Olympus...

Anyway, I like the series, and can't wait for the 5th book!

"Everyone dies. Everyone... The End." - Becky. The sad, unfortuate end to a uprising story... read this great quote and others at a Mild Shade of Perfection to learn about it's high-speed ending that will leave you in tears.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." - Sirius Black
Old June 23rd, 2008, 8:45 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, there's different levels and types of scare factor. Ares is a musclehead who you don't want to cross, but you can outthink him in a fight. Athena is crafty, strong and implacable which makes her unnerving in a different and more lasting way. Hera--all power and completely narcissistic and insane. Just freaky. Now, she's nothing compared to Papa Kronos but she's close. It's actually quite a good picture of her.

I think Percy has matured--actually. Remember, he's at the same stage that Harry was at during Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince--that yelling, anger stage. I thought his observations on Calypso and RED near the end of the book showed that he is growing up and is quite capable of intropspection.

Old July 7th, 2008, 10:12 pm
Third Year

I loved the new book. That's all I can really say. . It was really good, so yeah, if you like the series, I would read it.

Old July 9th, 2008, 12:59 am
First Year

I too, have read all the books and feel that they all are really well wrtitten and exciting. I personally enjoyed all of the books and couldn't really say which is my favorite.

I think my least favorite character would be the Rachel girl. I can't really explain my dislike for her but I don't really se why she was added into the plotline. I mean other than leading them in the labyrinth she wasn't really important.

I agree with jordmundt6, Hera is probably one of the big gods that you don't want to cross. Not as terrifying as Kronos but hey, maybe Hera inherited the scary genes from him.

I also do dispise how some of the biggest questions tend to get pushed aside.
It's almost like just when that answer/information is at its peak of interest, it goes unanswered and soon gets forgotten.

Well, that aside I really do enjoy the series and hope the movies will be as good as the books!

that I am up to
no good

Old August 17th, 2008, 11:52 pm
First Year

Mm. I liked battle of the labyrinth, and it definately gets brownie points for portraying a character who raises the dead in a positive light. Necromancers get too much of a bad wrap.

The Impusae (sp?) are now my favorite greek monsters.

Also, HECATONCHIERES FTW! x3 It's awesome!

Plenty of people have borrowed from or used greek mythos. Plenty have adapted it truthfully and put new twists on it.

What makes Rick Riordan stand out is that he uses more stuff, and more obscure stuff, than anybody else. He takes stuff made of epic win that nobody has touched since aristophanes. Everyone knows about the medusa and the minotaur, but since when have you last heard of Typhon or Impusae? I don't think any Ray Harryhausen films contain appearances by Janus or whatsername, big lady with a lion body and lots of snakes coming out of her and different animal faces. The Gigantes, in the form of actual giants with snake tails for legs, haven't been touched by any other source as far as I know.

Mr. D. comes off as something of a jerk, but I don't really blame him for it. Sobriety is hard for a god of wine, and responsibility doesn't rest easily on the shoulders of a being made for night, chaos, and revelling. Nothing thrives when it denies it's nature, and that's just what's happening with Mr. D. I think the physical description shows how much he's gone to seed. He used to be the hottest pretty boy in all of ancient greece. His sender, perfectly-groomed androgynous good looks had the power to set the hearts of anyone aflutter, male or female, mortal or god. Now he looks like an overgrown infant, because he's cut off from major sources of his power and identity. Of course he's petty and joyless.

Old October 28th, 2008, 1:59 am
Second Year

EEEPPPP!!! I love this series!!! Does anyone else actually like Luke? Or am i alone on that?

Donít you ask me if its love my dear
Love donít really mean a thing round here
The fake scenes the plastic-made dreams
Say you donít want it, say you donít want it
{One Night Only}

Old October 29th, 2008, 1:29 am
Fifth Year

I've just found the series (like, last Thursday), and I've already read all four of the ones that are out. And I LOVE THEM.
But I have to disagree about the whole questions-not-being-answered thing. The same thing tends to happen in Harry Potter, but the vast majority of the questions in the PJO series DO get answered - in time. I just think of it as being kind of true to real-life, and Percy's one of those people who can never seem to get his questions answered.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old May 10th, 2009, 6:47 am
Fifth Year

Anyone read book 5 yet?
I'm saving it for my family vacation in June, but it's soooooo hard!

And have you all seen the information about the movie? It's supposed to be coming out next February, with Logan Lerman as Percy, Alexandra Daddario as Annabeth, Brandon T. Jackson as Grover, Jake Abel as Luke, and the ever popular Mr. Pierce Brosnan as Chiron.

So, what do you all think?

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:48 am
First Year

And the guy from National Treasure/Lord of the Rings as Zeus!

Anywho, yes, I read the book. I liked it lots.
I've heard rumors that it's the last book in the percy jackson series, but he's going to write about the same stuff only different people.

"In Slytherin you'll make your real friends, these cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends"
Old May 12th, 2009, 1:42 am
Mouse

Excellent! Didn't realize this was out. Am downloading from audible as we speak

Old May 12th, 2009, 11:13 pm
Curse Breaker

audible? Don't download the CDs, get a kindle or buy the book. The guy who reads this series (not Rick, the guy they actually PAY to read for the CDs) sounds too--er, Dawson's Creek for this particular project. It was an EXCELLENT finale and for those of you who don't like Rachel--she has a role. She's not just there to annoy you. I have to say that I like the idea of sequels with our gang as background and mentor roles, but I'm not sure that Percy would want to live for years or decades with the mantle that he took up. Also, I must say that I find the "Last Olympian" quite cool and the most reasonable of the baker's dozen.

Please tell me that's not the actual cast of the film. Look, I LIKE Logan Lerman. He's got real talent and he's maturing nicely from child star to teen, to hopefully an adult actor with chops--but he doesn't have the right look or sound for me--I see him as more like Anton Yelchin--another guy I like a lot and have for years but just totally the wrong vibe for the role. I don't know much about the rest of the principals but--uh, Grover never struck me as of African-American persuasion. Maybe it's just me. Brosnan will do fine as Chiron and he'll probably take some of his cues from Neeson's recent voicework. That could work out fine. I've never heard Alexandra Daddario speak.

Okay, I just looked at the IMDB cast and I think I understand the casting--Chelan Simmons' picture looks more like I'd expect Annabeth to based on book descriptions. However, er--I can understand the casting with Melina Kankaredes as Athena. For a second, I almost fell out of my chair laughing because I misread it and thought they were having the lead from My Big Fat Greek Wedding play Athena which is just TOO funny.

Now that I look at most of the cast--I'm sorry, I don't get it. Not one little bit. I voiced my concerns about Logan Lerman. Brosnan will be okay. Kevin McKidd is a good choice for Poseidon. I'm not sold on Sean Bean (though considering his past with Patriot Games, maybe I should be). I like Catherine Keener okay, but that's definitely not the picture I have in my head of Sally Jackson (though she does match Logan Lerman pretty well, so that MIGHT work). Personally, I'd have asked Toni Collette to do it on hiatus from The United States of Tara. Of course--lest anyone forget, this is all in the hands of Chris Columbus who poured seven tons of terribly mixed fertilizer on the first two Potter films, so that's already dangerous.

I have actually seen the actress they cast as Aphrodite before and while I don't doubt she can pull of the attitude, even a passable voice--I just don't find her stunning. Maybe it's just me. They have Uma Thurman doing Medusa as an inside joke when there are three bigger roles she could be doing that she's better suited for than the people they HAVE (Hera, Aphrodite, maybe even Athena and I'm okay with the Athena casting). Now for the bigger questions--where's Clarisse? Where's Ares? I mean seriously, where IS he? He's got a major role to play particularly in THIS story and they haven't even cast him, but they have Aphrodite and Percy doesn't even properly meet her until...which is it...he's running everywhere trying to rescue Annabeth--so it's Titan's Curse. Jeepers what are they thinking? Also, no Apollo, No Dionysus, No Fish--er Hephaestus (sorry, must not pick up bad habits from Action Pack), Help me out here. Why'd they cast Demeter and forget Dionysus? Percy doesn't get a proper look at HER until book 5!! What gives?!

I don't know enough about Steve Coogan to be embarrassed, enraged, relieved or ambivalent. I've heard his voice work in Ella Enchanted (which leads me to believe he'd be a James Woods-style Hades which isn't what we're going for here), but again--not enough of his work seen to make a proper judgement.

There's rumblings about another Half-Blood Hill series set just after the end of this adventure to tackle the next Great Prophecy with Percy and the gang as minor characters--mentors, trainers, examples, and the like.

ETA--Oh, I forgot! Rosario Dawson as Persephone? What? Um, no offense, but I'd see her as Artemis if Artemis decided to appear as a woman in her 30s instead of a girl just entering her teens.

Last edited by jordmundt6; May 18th, 2009 at 8:21 pm.
Old May 13th, 2009, 6:21 pm
Fifth Year

Thank you!
I totally agree with you on so much of what you've said.
I can't figure out why they don't have all of the casting done, either, but at this point, they don't even seem to have the casting that they have worked on done properly, so perhaps the point is moot.

I really do hope that Mr. Riordan decides to write more books about Camp Half-Blood, as I think that there are more stories to tell. I'd love to see the changes that Percy is helping to make told from an outsider's point of view.

But at the moment, I don't hold out much hope for the movie.

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old May 14th, 2009, 2:52 pm
Curse Breaker

My ultimate nightmare is that Columbus will do to The Lightning Thief what Stefen Fangmeier did to Eragon. Given the cast they're listing, that's quite possible.

Oh, and thanks for the Anabeth Chase picture in your Avatar. That proves my point. We're looking for someone like Chelan Simmons casting shot--and they went an entirely different route. The Annabeth they have would just look wierd blond and I think Melina would look downright SCARY as a blonde though she would work well as an exemplar of a brunette Athena. However, based on the books, the closest thing to a picture of Athena we seem to have is--well, Uma Thurman as The Bride five years or six years ago.

Reading about a new crop would be interesting, but I'd hope to get hints of the fiery but happy romance of our favorite couple from the first series as the years go by and they stick around as mentors at Camp Half-Blood. That doesn't fit well into a kid's book--though Riordan does write romance into his Tres Navarre mysteries. I would hope they stick around and serve as mentor figures like Chiron--I think it would be stupid of Rick to have Percy die in the first battle for the new Prophecy because of the choice he had to make in The Last Olympian.

Old May 15th, 2009, 5:27 pm
Fifth Year

I don't think Riordan would kill Percy off. Something tells me he might be a little attached at this point. At least, I would hppe so.

But I would love to see a new series based on the lives of a child of the minor gods or something like that. With all the changes Percy made, if he writes a new series, there should be a lot of fun new people to meet - new kids being found every day, kids being claimed by their god-parents all the time, and so on. Plus, this new prophecy deals with "seven" half-bloods. That's a lot of new people to get to read about. I really hope that he does go through with it.

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old May 18th, 2009, 8:17 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, actually, I think it means 4 newbies making the last stand with the Jacksons and Clarisse. It seems like maybe the next challenge is going to be Hyperion busting out of his tree-prison. To Storm or Fire, the world must fall. Storm could be Typhon, but I think that more accurately represents Zeus. Of course it could be that The Last Olympian shall be first here and it comes down to something like Typhon vs. Hestia. Y'know, I like that a lot better. I would like to see the Jacksons, the Blofis, and the Chases come through this Second Great Prophecy whole. In fact, having the Jacksons' wedding blessed by a partnership of old Olympian rivals after the triumph of home and hearth fire would be an absolutely beautiful. Can't you just see it? Figure they'd be in their early 20s by the end of the second series. That seems like a beautiful choice for a true ending for them.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction