Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Downton Abbey - contains spoilers for season 4

Old March 8th, 2013, 2:15 am
Squee-worthy

Re: Downton Abbey - contains spoilers for season 4

I dunno, I thought they were setting up a very good dynamic with Branson/Matthew vs. Robert on the future of Downton. I think that'll most likely continue now without Matthew, but I could very easily have seen Matthew's character growing and developing as Downton became his own. I think if Dan Stevens didn't trust Fellowes to take his character in that direction, then that would explain why he left. And I think that's probably the cause with all three actors we saw leave: they didnt trust Fellowes to develop their characters further. But I think out of the three of them, Dan Stevens/Matthew was at the best position perhaps out of all the characters in the entire show to progress and develop, perhaps besides Branson and Robert.

Last edited by Lord Godric; March 8th, 2013 at 2:17 am.
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2013, 1:21 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
I dunno, I thought they were setting up a very good dynamic with Branson/Matthew vs. Robert on the future of Downton. I think that'll most likely continue now without Matthew, but I could very easily have seen Matthew's character growing and developing as Downton became his own. I think if Dan Stevens didn't trust Fellowes to take his character in that direction, then that would explain why he left. And I think that's probably the cause with all three actors we saw leave: they didnt trust Fellowes to develop their characters further. But I think out of the three of them, Dan Stevens/Matthew was at the best position perhaps out of all the characters in the entire show to progress and develop, perhaps besides Branson and Robert.
According to an interview I saw with Julian Fellowes, Dan Stevens was one of a couple of their cast who were receiving phenomenal offers for work. As apparently actors there can't be signed for more than 3 years, and Dan was at the end of his contract, it seemed Fellowes was implying that Dan decided to not renew and pursue the other offers. I don't think it had anything to do with worry about character development.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old March 12th, 2013, 6:10 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I just got caught up with Downton tonight, and I thought the ending was cheesy and poorly executed. BUT if their intent was to parody over-the-top cheesy romance stories of the sort that Jane Austen parodies, then they did an awesome job.

Anyway, I think I prefer the parody interpretation to the alternative, particularly given that they handled Sybil so brilliantly.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:31 pm
Sixth Year

Honestly, if they meant to make a parody, they should have made their intentions clearer. I didn't notice it.

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Honestly, if they meant to make a parody, they should have made their intentions clearer. I didn't notice it.
I didn't notice it either.

But a subversive reading of the ending makes it possible to live with the ueber-cheeze of the thing. That's pretty nearly the only way I can still watch Downton after that bit of shark-jumping.

And to be (opaque) clear, I'm not talking about the "what" of it but the "how."

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old March 25th, 2013, 9:34 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
According to an interview I saw with Julian Fellowes, Dan Stevens was one of a couple of their cast who were receiving phenomenal offers for work. As apparently actors there can't be signed for more than 3 years, and Dan was at the end of his contract, it seemed Fellowes was implying that Dan decided to not renew and pursue the other offers. I don't think it had anything to do with worry about character development.
Stevens did a stint on Broadway this season. Sorry, I don't know the play, merely read of its closing.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old March 25th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
My point was that I think there were further reasons beyond phenomenal work offers. It seems strange to me that Dan Stevens felt no sense of obligation to stay on the show as its lead character.

Old March 25th, 2013, 11:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
My point was that I think there were further reasons beyond phenomenal work offers. It seems strange to me that Dan Stevens felt no sense of obligation to stay on the show as its lead character.
He felt no sense of obligation because his obligation was for 3 seasons, which he fulfilled. And I agree that there was not much potential story arc for his character at this point.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old March 26th, 2013, 8:14 am

My objection isn't that Dan Stevens left and that they killed off his character. My objection is to the terrible writing surrounding his departure. I think the best option left for the show at this point is just to bring on an army of Crawley walking dead.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 1st, 2013, 1:56 am
Curse Breaker

My wife and I love this show. My wife and I cannot figure out why we love this show. We therefore were greatly amused to see Downton Abbey parodied by "How I Met Your Mother" (one of our 5 TV obsessions, along with Doctor Who, Game of Thrones and, wait for it.... Project Runway) along the same lines: people love it despite the absence of any obvious reason to do so!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old April 4th, 2013, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
My wife and I love this show. My wife and I cannot figure out why we love this show. We therefore were greatly amused to see Downton Abbey parodied by "How I Met Your Mother" (one of our 5 TV obsessions, along with Doctor Who, Game of Thrones and, wait for it.... Project Runway) along the same lines: people love it despite the absence of any obvious reason to do so!
The only reason my husband and I were furious with that ending is that we love this show.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 10th, 2013, 2:32 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
He felt no sense of obligation because his obligation was for 3 seasons, which he fulfilled. And I agree that there was not much potential story arc for his character at this point.
Since the show built him, he could have returned for one episode in the next season to cast his character off. From what I understand, he wasn't willing to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
You clearly have excellent taste. I'm surprised I haven't seen you in our Project Runway thread.

But totally agreed. I don't generally like period shows, I don't like soap opera type shows, and I don't generally watch drama, but I cannot turn away from Downton Abbey!

Old June 24th, 2013, 11:11 pm
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

So, It would seem that Paul Giamatti (Sideways, et al.) is joining the cast to play Cora's brother. I'm not sure how I feel about this development.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:15 am
Squee-worthy

I love Giamatti.

Old September 25th, 2013, 10:32 pm
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I watched the first episode of the season 4. I think they played Mary and Isobel's grief rather well. Hughes had quite a bit of screen time, which was pleasing, but I was disappointed that they brought back a character from season 1, Carson's stage partner. I suppose it will be interesting to see the direction of the storyline, yet at the moment, I'm not a fan.

Robert seemed to have lost all the brains he acquired last season regarding running the estate, even after Shrimpy agreed that he did the right thing. His character was a complete moron in the first episode. Hopefully this will change with the next episode or two.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old March 13th, 2014, 7:10 pm
First Year

Been watching s4 pretty closely this year and it was good for the most part, am looking forward to s5 next year.

#1 Rocky and Bullwinkle fan!!
Old January 18th, 2016, 4:40 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Just saw last nights episode. It was so good!

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old January 19th, 2016, 7:21 am
Curse Breaker

Which one is "last night's episode?" PBS had an offer for the season on DVD and it arrived a week ago. I binged it. IMDB reminds me that the first episode aired on 1/3 in the States.

So, Last night's should be episode 3
Spoiler: show
Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson marry at long last and Tom and Sybbie return home. Yes, that was a very good one.
You'll have to let me know what you think as the season progresses.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television