Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

How I met your mother

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:09 pm
Second Year

Re: How I met your mother

I agree, it was a shock.
Spoiler: show
And I'm like you, I'm not sure how two pregnancies will work, though I'm not sure a show has ever tried to pull it off before, so maybe it will work fine. I just think the whole "Who's is it?" question will make for some really awkward scenes, and not funny awkward. Hopefully it is just a scare.

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:31 pm
First Year

If the press release for 7.12 is anything to go by,
Kevin (Kal Penn) won't even appear in the next episode, so maybe they'll avoid the regular "Who's the daddy?" route, somehow?

Here is the plot, by the way. And apparently they changed the title for 7.12.
Quote:
ROBIN RECEIVES SHOCKING NEWS AND HIDES IT FROM THE GANG, ON "HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER," MONDAY, DEC. 5
"Symphony of Illumination" - When Robin receives bad news, she decides to lie about it to the gang. Meanwhile, Marshall hangs Christmas decorations on the house in the ‘burbs with help from his neighbor, on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, Monday, Dec. 5 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

SERIES REGULARS:

Josh Radnor (Ted)
Jason Segel (Marshall)
Cobie Smulders (Robin)
Neil Patrick Harris (Barney)
Alyson Hannigan (Lily)

RECURRING CAST

Bob Saget (Narrator)

GUEST CAST:

Vicki Lewis (Dr. Sonya)
Chase Ellison (Scott)
Todd Grinnell (Insane Duane)
Danielle Weeks (Sheila)
Andra Nechita (Daughter)
Noah Schnacky (Son)

WRITTEN BY: Joe Kelly
DIRECTED BY: Pamela Fryman

Pottermore username: UnicornPhoenix

Last edited by CellarDoor; November 25th, 2011 at 3:51 pm. Reason: I can't spell!
Old November 24th, 2011, 8:10 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

My guess:
They spend at least one episode debating abortion and they're both sure they have to do it, but in the end something (extremely cheesy) happens and they realise they can't or mustn't or both go through with it and decide to keep it instead; OR Robin miscarries. There's no way she gets an abortion, I've only ever seen this once on American TV (incidentally, on one of the best shows I've ever seen, Six Feet Under.)

As for who's the father, right now everything points to Barney, but that's the problem with shows which ditch inner consistency for audience expectations and cheap twists: you can't make predictions based on internal logic or clues. We'll wait and see.

Old November 24th, 2011, 5:05 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
My guess:
They spend at least one episode debating abortion and they're both sure they have to do it, but in the end something (extremely cheesy) happens and they realise they can't or mustn't or both go through with it and decide to keep it instead; OR Robin miscarries. There's no way she gets an abortion, I've only ever seen this once on American TV (incidentally, on one of the best shows I've ever seen, Six Feet Under.)

As for who's the father, right now everything points to Barney, but that's the problem with shows which ditch inner consistency for audience expectations and cheap twists: you can't make predictions based on internal logic or clues. We'll wait and see.
I think it's more likely that she miscarries as opposed to abortion. I just don't see something like that happening on a half-hour sitcom.

I think one of the summaries for the next episode says something about Robin receiving bad news that she keeps from the group. I feel like it's too early for a miscarriage (since she - and more importantly us - JUST found out).

"Question: Michael, please tell me Robin isn’t really pregnant on HIMYM. —Iveta
Ausiello: She’s really pregnant. But whether she remains that way is an open question. In possibly related news, here’s the logline for the Dec. 5 episode: “When Robin receives bad news, she decides to lie about it to the gang.” Hmm…."
(http://www.tvline.com/2011/11/ask-au...s-gossip-girl/)

So I don't now. I'd rather Kevin be the father because, as I said before, I've never been on the Swarkles ship and I'm a huge fan of Kal Penn, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be Barney.

Old November 25th, 2011, 5:56 am
First Year

First of all I love love LOVE HIMYM.

I find it ironic that both Alyson and Cobie were pregnant at the same time in real life and now they're going to be pregnant on the show at the same time.

Serial Lurker Extraordinaire
Old December 6th, 2011, 8:23 pm
Fifth Year

Mawhahahahahah!
so Glad That They Made That Happen Instead! Barney And Robin Do Not Belong Together!

Old April 2nd, 2014, 3:44 am
Curse Breaker

Well, the series finale seems to have ****** off a lot of viewers! Insofar as I can tell, it's another case of people watching and not seeing: true irony is far too subtle for most people!

I had thought before that it would be really tough to convince the audience that Ted really was in love with The Mother (well name, by the way!). However, it always gnawed at the back of my mind: this was supposed to be about how Ted met his kids' mother, not how he fell in love with her, etc. The season (very cleverly set up around just one weekend) actually did a very good job of convincing me that Ted was (in the near future) genuinely in love with Tracy, and that they would be genuinely compatible. Moreover, it always gnawed at me that there might be a less than happy background reason why Ted was telling his kids this story, or that the real story was not what Ted himself thought it was.

In the end, it was a double-dose of irony. Ted's attempt to tell his kids a story about how you have to be brave and take the leap if you want to meet the person of your dreams is subconsciously a pep talk for himself.

I will fully confess that I found the episode to be quite poignant. I had long pegged Robin and Barney as that couple (and we've all known one or two) that were both completely right and completely wrong for each other. In the real-life ones I've known, it took marriage to resolve it one way or the other. And, in both cases, they wound up divorced, but with the other person finally out of his/her system. Now, in at least 3 of the 4 cases (I lost touch with the 4th), they are happily married to someone else: and I honestly don't think that could have happened until they had burned their personal Barney/Robin out of their systems. So, their fate was both sad but completely sensible. And, of course, having one of them drift away from the rest afterwards was completely realistic, too. Indeed, the general drift among the 5 protagonists was well-communicated, and much like what I've seen in real life. (The "epilogue" in the 3rd to last episode was pretty good, by the way: I like how they did that shortly before the finale instead of in the finale.) The sad truth is that, by the time you are in your 40's, it's often been years since you've seen your best friends from college or your 20's.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old April 2nd, 2014, 4:46 am
Seventh Year

That finale was working so well until the final minutes. It was odd that a season that took place mostly over the course of a single weekend ended with a highlight reel of the characters' futures, but it sort of worked. It was frustrating that Barney and Robin's marriage was as brief as it was after all the time we spent being convinced that they could be right for each other after all, but I brushed that aside (and actually, the end of that relationship was portrayed well, as was "the gang" drifting apart in the years that followed). Most of "Last Forever" was the funny and moving conclusion to How I Met Your Mother I'd hoped to see.

Then came those final minutes...

I appreciate how clever the real ending was, I do. In this case, though, I think the HIMYM cleverness did more harm than good. (That may be too serious a way to put it, but go with me here.) I never thought that Ted was telling his kids this story because the mother had died, but it makes sense. Ted really did think he was telling the titular story, so the ending didn't betray his character. It did betray the audience, though (to me), in that we thought the journey that mattered most was the one to Tracy (as we now know her). Tracy matters, Ted's journey to her matters, their relationship matters...but not as much as Robin. I felt like this was Carter Bays and Craig Thomas justifying how much time they spent showing Ted still hung up on Robin even in this last season, as well as appeasing the Ted/Robin shippers - but if they've had this ending in mind from the beginning or near it, that's not the case. This was the ending they wanted (those kids did shoot all their scenes about eight years ago, after all). It's messy, but ultimately happy - but I think it's happy in the wrong direction.

It all came down to "that's how I met your mother, but then she got sick, died, and oh wow, I AM really still in love with Robin!" Over the course of this season, I fell for Cristin Milioti's Tracy, and believed that Ted fell hard for her. I thought she was a little too much like Ted, but still, she was charming, and she felt right. I can't help but feel like she was given short shrift in the end.

The pilot ends with Future Ted saying, "And that, kids, is how I met your aunt Robin." It's a clever capper to that terrific introduction to the story, implying that Robin's an important step along the way, but the mother in the title? She's endgame. I thought that mother would matter more than she did. I'm not saying Ted wasn't in love with Tracy, but it feels like she was more of a step along the way to Robin than the reverse.

"Last Forever" has made me wonder whether I believe that the last moments of a series can ruin what came before, but I don't really believe that. For all the show's flaws, How I Met Your Mother was pretty remarkable. I love Ted, Robin, Lily, Marshall, and Barney, even when I've disagreed with the way their creators handled them.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 1st, 2014 at 10:19 pm.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 4:38 pm
Third Year

You know I was fine with all of the episode, up until the last few minutes. I got that Barney & Robin didn't last. I loved seeing Barney fall for his new daughter.

I didn't like that they made the mom get sick and die. Or that Ted was still hung up on Robin after all of these years.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old April 6th, 2014, 2:36 am
Curse Breaker

heh, I don't think that we need spoilers anymore: there are exactly zero upcoming episodes, and the whole world knows how it ended now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
I didn't like that they made the mom get sick and die. Or that Ted was still hung up on Robin after all of these years.
From a story-telling point of view, both of these were almost necessary. As the kids noted (in a scene taped 7 years ago!), the story was really about Ted's feelings for Robin. This was true in multiple ways. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the answer to "How I Met Your Mother" was: "I Met Robin Scherbatsky."

It really goes all the way back to Season 1. After Ted met Robin, he was never able to completely go for another woman because of Robin. In many ways, Victoria's story arc really should have told us how this was going to end. Victoria was very close to being Ted's Dream Woman: except that Ted had already met Robin. Robin herself notes this in the last season, when she tells Ted that they have ranked Ted's ex-girlfriends and Victoria was #1. Ted's correction is huge: there was no Top 5, there was just Robin.

Ted & Victoria break up in large part because of Robin. When Victoria returns years later and discovers that Ted is still unmarried but hanging out with Robin, Victoria tells Ted that he's never going to meet someone until he cuts Robin out of his life. After Victoria & Ted almost get engaged, that's Victoria's condition: and Ted cannot do that.

None of this is to state that Ted didn't genuinely fall head over heels for Tracy: he clearly did. In many ways, she was Ted with two X chromosomes. However, if it had not been for Robin, then Ted never would have met Tracy: he would have been married to Victoria (or Zoe or maybe even Stella) long before.

But the other point was something that was an ongoing motif throughout the show (and one that the show was able to do owing to running for 9 years): there might not be a time and place for everything, but there are definitely things for which there are right and wrong times & places. Ted & Robin were wrong for each other in their 20's because they wanted to be in different places when they were in their early 50's. However, by their early 50's, they are in those places, and they are still available: and the two did promise each other year's before if it ended up that way, then they'd wind up together.

Moreover, I think looking at it as "why did they make the mother get sick and die" puts the horse behind the cart. (I've never used that one before!) If the answer to "How I met You Mother" is "Robin," then the why of the story is "Tracy died and I've finally moved on." If Tracy is not dead, then there is no reason to tell the story. (That is, I think, why so many people posited that she was dead in 2030.) Remember, "Mom's been gone for 6 years" was taped in 2006. (Josh Radnor has acknowledged that he's known this since then, too.) The unstated "truth" underlying all of the storytelling was that Tracy is dead, Ted is finally able to move on from that, and he always loved Robin. Remember, the story is supposed to be somewhat fictionalized: Ted's memory is imperfect, and he has a subconscious agenda.

I think that the one other mistake people are making is trying to make love Boolean: if Ted loved Robin, then he never loved Tracy. However, that simplistic view often is untrue, and I think that the show makes this very clear: there are a couple of "flash forwards" over the show's history that make the intensity of Ted's feelings for Tracy very clear. However, and this is the kicker: if Tracy does not die, then there is no reason to tell this story. Ted doesn't need to revisit his past and justify to his kids (and, I think, to himself) his feelings for Robin if Tracy is still there: Tracy was the first one that Robin didn't eclipse. But that goes back to the "why" of the story and the ironic answer to the question raised by the title.

In a lot of ways, I would say that this had some analogies to the Harry Potter series (and several other series of stories) in that a lot of things given at the outset were truly relevant only at the conclusion: and if the conclusion had been different, then it would have been just a collection of stories, rather than a set of stories that united to tell a story themselves.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old August 13th, 2014, 7:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
heh, I don't think that we need spoilers anymore: there are exactly zero upcoming episodes, and the whole world knows how it ended now!

From a story-telling point of view, both of these were almost necessary. As the kids noted (in a scene taped 7 years ago!), the story was really about Ted's feelings for Robin. This was true in multiple ways. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the answer to "How I Met Your Mother" was: "I Met Robin Scherbatsky."

It really goes all the way back to Season 1. After Ted met Robin, he was never able to completely go for another woman because of Robin. In many ways, Victoria's story arc really should have told us how this was going to end. Victoria was very close to being Ted's Dream Woman: except that Ted had already met Robin. Robin herself notes this in the last season, when she tells Ted that they have ranked Ted's ex-girlfriends and Victoria was #1. Ted's correction is huge: there was no Top 5, there was just Robin.

Ted & Victoria break up in large part because of Robin. When Victoria returns years later and discovers that Ted is still unmarried but hanging out with Robin, Victoria tells Ted that he's never going to meet someone until he cuts Robin out of his life. After Victoria & Ted almost get engaged, that's Victoria's condition: and Ted cannot do that.

None of this is to state that Ted didn't genuinely fall head over heels for Tracy: he clearly did. In many ways, she was Ted with two X chromosomes. However, if it had not been for Robin, then Ted never would have met Tracy: he would have been married to Victoria (or Zoe or maybe even Stella) long before.

But the other point was something that was an ongoing motif throughout the show (and one that the show was able to do owing to running for 9 years): there might not be a time and place for everything, but there are definitely things for which there are right and wrong times & places. Ted & Robin were wrong for each other in their 20's because they wanted to be in different places when they were in their early 50's. However, by their early 50's, they are in those places, and they are still available: and the two did promise each other year's before if it ended up that way, then they'd wind up together.

Moreover, I think looking at it as "why did they make the mother get sick and die" puts the horse behind the cart. (I've never used that one before!) If the answer to "How I met You Mother" is "Robin," then the why of the story is "Tracy died and I've finally moved on." If Tracy is not dead, then there is no reason to tell the story. (That is, I think, why so many people posited that she was dead in 2030.) Remember, "Mom's been gone for 6 years" was taped in 2006. (Josh Radnor has acknowledged that he's known this since then, too.) The unstated "truth" underlying all of the storytelling was that Tracy is dead, Ted is finally able to move on from that, and he always loved Robin. Remember, the story is supposed to be somewhat fictionalized: Ted's memory is imperfect, and he has a subconscious agenda.

I think that the one other mistake people are making is trying to make love Boolean: if Ted loved Robin, then he never loved Tracy. However, that simplistic view often is untrue, and I think that the show makes this very clear: there are a couple of "flash forwards" over the show's history that make the intensity of Ted's feelings for Tracy very clear. However, and this is the kicker: if Tracy does not die, then there is no reason to tell this story. Ted doesn't need to revisit his past and justify to his kids (and, I think, to himself) his feelings for Robin if Tracy is still there: Tracy was the first one that Robin didn't eclipse. But that goes back to the "why" of the story and the ironic answer to the question raised by the title.

In a lot of ways, I would say that this had some analogies to the Harry Potter series (and several other series of stories) in that a lot of things given at the outset were truly relevant only at the conclusion: and if the conclusion had been different, then it would have been just a collection of stories, rather than a set of stories that united to tell a story themselves.
Could not have said it better myself.