Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Electronic Readers

Old August 26th, 2012, 8:15 am
Third Year

Re: Electronic Readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
This used to bother me when I first started using my Kindle, too, but then I finally figured out that it's really easy to search using key words. If you can remember a key word from the passage you're looking for, you can find it really quickly. Hope that helps.
Ah, I didn't even realize that...thank you so much!!!

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2012, 3:20 am
First Year

I have one of the new SimpleTouch Nooks with GlowLight and I have to say... it's fantastic. The built-in light is well worth the extra you pay for the model that has it.

Does it change the nature of reading? I don't know. But I do know that I once spent weeks backpacking around Europe, buying books as I went, and ending up with about 30 books by the time I was through. My Nook would prevent that issue from arising again by allowing me to have all of them with me.

But, that said... I admit I still prefer reading a paperback when I'm at home. On the road, in a restaurant, or elsewhere the Nook is amazing though.

Old August 28th, 2012, 10:18 pm
First Year

Do you have an e-reader or would you consider getting one?
I do not but am deff considering (waiting for price to come to around $29.99 including a light and touch screen)

What do you feel are the advantages or disadvantages of e-readers?
adv-portability, ease of searching, fun new device
dis-too pricey right now, theft, learning new device/websites

Do you feel that e-readers change the nature of reading?
No, they only change the delivery method and storage of reading material

For those of us who love our books I have a question.
How many times have you had to move (packing and lugging your own boxes of books) residences?
After our 3rd move my hubby sat me down and we had a serious discussion about the quantity of my collection (we've moved 4 more times since then but I did pare down my collection and now I use the library exclusively, will no longer purchase books at all, do not turn down gifts tho).

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:11 pm
Sixth Year

Do you have an e-reader or would you consider getting one?

I got an e-reader for Christmas. Someone found out I was starting a new job and I would spend a lot of time on the train every day...

What do you feel are the advantages or disadvantages of e-readers?

The pros are undoubtedly the possibility of having lots of books stored in 250g and the fact that it doesn't tire your eyes more than a normal book (at least the e-ink models, like mine). As I have said, I spend almost two hours every day on the train, and I read most of the time. I'm currently reading a 1200-pages book that I couldn't have ever thought of carrying in my bag unless I wanted to hurt my shoulder. And when I finish a book I always have another (or another half dozen) ready to choose. So, for people who have to travel or move very often it is a blessing.

Cons: Well, there's one thing I don't like very much (apart of the thing's mania of running out of battery in the most interesting part of a book): I'm a page-turner, and have the habit of going back and re-read some bit that I've liked specially, or that I don't remember well. There are parts of books that I like going over sometimes without reading the whole book (like the good bits of Les Miserables). With e-readers this is very slow and dull.

Do you feel that e-readers change the nature of reading?

Since the page-turning is slower and duller, I think e-readers promote a more lineal reading. It makes it more difficult to skip to last page to know the end beforehand (good for over-curious readers), but it also complicates the reading of books wiht lots of notes (following the link takes a few seconds). Otherwise, I don't think it changes too much.

Old June 19th, 2013, 7:59 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
[b]

Cons: Well, there's one thing I don't like very much (apart of the thing's mania of running out of battery in the most interesting part of a book): I'm a page-turner, and have the habit of going back and re-read some bit that I've liked specially, or that I don't remember well. There are parts of books that I like going over sometimes without reading the whole book (like the good bits of Les Miserables). With e-readers this is very slow and dull.
This used to bother me, too, until I got used to searching key words. Now I can find passages quickly.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 4:03 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
This used to bother me, too, until I got used to searching key words. Now I can find passages quickly.
I highlight the good parts so I can go back to them easily.

I still have the original Kindle (she'll be five in August) and I still love her.

Old June 26th, 2013, 10:23 pm
Second Year

I am enjoying having multiple books on the go but still read paper back at home.

Old June 28th, 2013, 3:13 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

One of the things I love about my Kindle is it makes reading a 1000 page book really easy and light weight.

Old June 28th, 2013, 5:52 am
Seventh Year

I'm loving my Kindle Fire. I have almost 200 novels on it already. lol...

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old July 14th, 2013, 4:47 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
I still have the original Kindle (she'll be five in August) and I still love her.
This gave me the giggles. Happy almost birthday to your Kindle. Send her my best wishes.

I have a Kindle 2nd Generation, a Kindle "Keyboard" (a.k.a. 3rd Generation), and just recently purchased a Kindle Paperwhite.

The Paperwhite is, by far, the best Kindle Amazon has released. Not only is it lightweight and comfortable to read for extended periods of time, but the screen light was done really well. My biggest concern when I first heard about the built in light was that it wouldn't evenly cover the page, but that's just not true. The light is highly effective at covering the entire screen and it makes the Kindle easy to read in any light.

I am also really enjoying the touch screen. It is more responsive than I was expecting (though it still suffers from minor refresh lag issues, easily overlooked) and the text is more "crisp" than any of the prior generations. I haven't purchased a Kindle Fire or Nook Color, but I own an iPad and I've found it difficult to read for extended periods of time on a back-lit screen, unlike with the Paperwhite.

I've always been in the "I prefer physical books" crowd, and I don't think owning my earlier generation Kindles ever changed that. The Paperwhite just might.

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old July 14th, 2013, 5:06 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Having trialled a few e-readers I opted for the Kobo Touch (not least because our local library doesn't easily support Kindle and I heartily dislike Amazon for a variety of reasons).

While the e-ink screen means no eyestrain and the touch works fine, I still prefer physical books. It's just that I've run out of storage space.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction