Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Most boring book(s) you've read or tried to read

Old October 22nd, 2012, 6:04 am
Banned

Re: Most boring book you've read or tried to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel79 View Post
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott and The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper. Horribly boring.
Really? I liked those. Boredom is in the eye of the reader, I guess.

Let me add a book that almost everyone is gaga about but bored me to tears. Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past. I couldn't even finish one tome, let alone seven.

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2012, 5:46 pm
Sixth Year

I think it's Moby Dick for me. I know most of people love it, and I've read it twice, thinking that perhaps I missed something the first time. But no; I just can't stop getting bored from the moment they go to the sea.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 5:39 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I think it's Moby Dick for me. I know most of people love it, and I've read it twice, thinking that perhaps I missed something the first time. But no; I just can't stop getting bored from the moment they go to the sea.
I completely forgot about this one, but I know what you mean.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:27 pm
First Year

Off the top of my head, probably Ophelia by Lisa Klein and maybe No and Me by Delphine De Vigan. I'd wanted to read Ophelia for ages and it started off interesting enough, but felt like halfway through the book nothing really happened and the story was depressing me, so I gave up on it.

With No and Me, I guess I felt nothing much happened in the story, plus it was really short and it ended quite abruptly.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return - Moulin Rouge!
Old November 5th, 2012, 6:07 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Mine is also a Joseph Conrad- Heart of Darkness. I had to read it for my A level English course and I found it unbelievably boring. It's a shame, because I loved all of the other books I was given to read throughout my schooling history (apart from Romeo and Juliet- which I guess doesn't count because it's a play) but I just couldn't get into it. I ploughed through it at least three times in a year because it was a closed-book exam so I had to know it. However, it just refused to stick in my brain. I tried reading it how I usually read- with my family around, chatting and watching telly. Didn't work. So I tried my next technique- reading in my room with some low music on. Still wasn't working so I tried in silence, which was the worst yet. I tried watching Apocalypse Now (which I'm sure you know is based on Heart of Darkness) and I fell asleep. I just found it a very difficult book to get into because I just didn't care about the storyline or the character. I ended up in tears, the night before my exam, sobbing my heart out and throwing the book across the room. A bit extreme, I know, I wouldn't normally react so irrationally towards a story, but because it was an exam and I'd tried to prepare so much for the exam but it just wasn't happening. I mean, how can someone answer questions about a book that they really didn't care about, no matter how many times they've read it?
If you thought Heart of Darkness was boring (I enjoyed it somewhat), do NOT read Conrad's The Secret Agent! I had a tough time finishing it and in my opinion is 10 times more boring than Heart of Darkness was! Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite movies and one of the rare cases in which I think the movie is better than the book on which it is based.

Old November 9th, 2012, 2:12 am
First Year

Though this may surprise many, "Little Women" By Louisa May Alcott was so boring, I fell asleep.

The way she wrote the the story and portrayed the characters really unsatisfied me. I felt like she gave to much attention to little things, that shouldn't be so important, if in the story at all.

Let's be friends on Pottermore:
DragonMoonstone16649

Last edited by BrightestWitch; November 13th, 2012 at 4:31 am.
Old November 15th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Fourth Year

Red and Black by Stendahl for me. I knew what to expect because I was told by others who tried to read it that they gave up. I decided to give it a shot anyway so... that's what I did.

Old November 15th, 2012, 10:55 pm
Sixth Year

For me it's definitely A Separate Peace by John Knowles. That's the only book I've had to read for school that there wasn't at least something that I found interesting. I have a hard time remembering what even happened because it made so little impression on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
A lot of people like the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn but I had to read it for an English class once and I never managed to get through it. It was really boring for me
I can definitely understand where you're coming from. There's a lot of description of the river and all that, and I know some people have a hard time understanding the colloquial dialogue, so they tend to drift. I didn't find every moment thrilling, but overall I liked the book well enough. I think it has a good message about society and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
For some reason I disliked the Great Gatsby when we read it in school, but I think I need to give it another try.
I didn't like it much, either. Although I did enjoy that actual writing--it had some really nice prose--I found the rest kind of boring. Especially Nick Carroway. I thought he was such a flat character.
Quote:
Another book I just thought of was Frankenstein by Mary Shelkey, you think it would be really interesting, but no.
I just read that like last week. I also didn't get what I was expecting, but I did like it overall. I thought it would be more sci-fi/horror like the movies, but it ended up being very philosophical. I still liked it, though. The parts I found really boring were when Victor Frankenstein kept describing the scenery or going on and on about his misery...ok, we get it now. Life sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
Ah yes - the books we had to read for school. For me it was Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton. I should have mentioned it, but that was long ago and it had slipped my mind. Or maybe the memory of valiantly trying to go through it is so painful that I blocked it out.
I just finished Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence today for school. Not by choice. Some of it was a little difficult to get through because it rambled on about different genteel families or described how their living room was furnished, but again, I didn't mind it overall because I think it has some powerful sociological and gender messages.

As you can see, it's pretty hard to get me to dislike a book outright. I'm usually pretty generous in overlooking a book's boring parts and appreciating the good stuff. So A Separate Peace must've been really bad.

Old November 15th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Curse Breaker

Wharton can be absolutely murderous. Daniel Defoe supposedly originated the "English novel." If he did, we are fortunate he didn't kill it. Robinson Crusoe is deathly dull.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 16th, 2012, 1:03 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
I just finished Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence today for school. Not by choice. Some of it was a little difficult to get through because it rambled on about different genteel families or described how their living room was furnished, but again, I didn't mind it overall because I think it has some powerful sociological and gender messages.
Though Ethan Frome is a bad memory, I actually liked The Age of Innocence. Like you said, some very good sociological and gender messages. I also liked the three main characters very much, each is fascinating in his or her own way, especially the two women.

What do you all think of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina? I read an abridged version when I was in my teens and don't remember much about it, apart from the fact that it's an extra-marital affair that has a tragic end. Recently a friend gave me the unabridged version, "wonderfully well translated" she assured me. I don't know. It's been on my bookshelf for months now but somehow I can't bring myself to delve into it. Should I. Would I be pleasantly surprised or bored to tears?

Although I usually enjoy Sébastien Japrisot's mysteries - the plot is always complex, tightly woven and impeccably set up - there's one, One Deadly Summer, that I could never get into. Never figured out why. It just didn't clicked, I stopped reading after barely 50 pages.

Old November 16th, 2012, 10:56 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
What do you all think of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina? I read an abridged version when I was in my teens and don't remember much about it, apart from the fact that it's an extra-marital affair that has a tragic end. Recently a friend gave me the unabridged version, "wonderfully well translated" she assured me. I don't know. It's been on my bookshelf for months now but somehow I can't bring myself to delve into it. Should I. Would I be pleasantly surprised or bored to tears?
I think you'll be both at times. Tolstoi is a great writer, but not at all a light reading. Anna Karenina is quite dense, and complex; Anna's affair is the main plot, but Tolstoi takes his (long) time to develop several sub-plots concerning the rest of the family. Anyway, I think it's worth a try.

Old November 16th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Sixth Year

I love Frankenstein very much. It's one of my favorite books out there.

As for ones I hate, they would be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, Walden by Thoreau, and Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Bronte (or is it Emily?). All of these books bored me to tears, but I had to read them. Two were for high school while Thoreau was for college.

Old November 17th, 2012, 12:17 am
Third Year

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I just could not get through that at all, after suffering my way though the first two. I know a lot of people love this series, but...I just couldn't get into it.

Old November 17th, 2012, 7:58 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaafeMJ View Post
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I just could not get through that at all, after suffering my way though the first two. I know a lot of people love this series, but...I just couldn't get into it.
I'm into my third reading of that book (the first two also, but I particularly like this one), and I reread some parts several times. Especially the parts about the Hackers' Republic, and Salander's trial. The part when the Section sets up Blomkvist and tries to murder him. Also the last chapter (the confrontation between Salander and Niederman) and the last pages (Salander plays clueless when Blomkvist tells her about the shoot-out that she set up).

Sorry you couldn't get into the series, TaafeM. Personally, I think it's a very enjoyable read.

On the other hand, I still haven't found the will to start on Anna Karenina, though I'd like to read it (I say "read" instead of "reread" because my first reading was that of an abridged version long ago) before I go see the new movie, the one starring Keira Knightley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
As for ones I hate, they would be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, Walden by Thoreau, and Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Bronte (or is it Emily?)
It's Emily. Charlotte was Jane Eyre. I agree with you, I too found Wuthering Heights boring. Couldn't stand either Heathcliff or Cathy.

Old November 25th, 2012, 4:18 am
I want to believe

Re: Most boring book(s) you've read or tried to read

Right now I'm actually having trouble getting through Robert Jordan's Fires of Heaven, the fifth book in the Wheel of Time series. I wouldn't call it the most boring book I've ever read, but I don't like how we have to follow the same day from every single character's point of view. Not too much action happening in it either. I'm told there are a few slow books in that series and that it gets better, so I'm trying to stick with it.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old November 28th, 2012, 6:47 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Most people love it?! I would like to meet them. I simply could not stand the book, and I read it back when I was at the height of my initial interest in marine biology. The book seemed right up my alley, but Melville's writing masked an interesting story with a dull chronicle of a menagerie of irrelevancies. But it should be time for me to give it another try...

One of my current reads is a story I've known through other formats, but I'm finding the book to be a struggle: The Swiss Family Robinson. It is an interesting topic and has occasionally fun episodes, but the book as a whole is such an unrealistic fairy tale (understandable, of course, given the colonial time of writing) of perfection. It makes for quite a dull read.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction