Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Mugglenet's 45 Books to Get Hooked on After Harry Potter - Which have you read?

Old December 2nd, 2010, 3:10 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Mugglenet's 45 Books to Get Hooked on After Harry Potter - Which have you read?

I could add to that list:

I've read "The Magic Goes Away" by Larry Niven, which was excellent, but Niven writes for adults, and some of the content might not be suitable for young'ins.

Also, I did a search on the thread and did not see "Lord of the Rings" anywhere! .. nor did I see Narnia.
I haven't read Lord of the Rings yet but will some day.
Another item that belongs here is "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind, these are what the "Legend of the Seeker" TV show was based on.

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2010, 3:57 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Mugglenet's 45 Books to Get Hooked on After Harry Potter - Which have you read?

Sword of Truth series is good, but it'd definitely adult battle scenes, interpresonal scenes, torture, denigration of women under the guise of religion, etc.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 1:05 pm
Third Year

Indeed! Narnia! Amazon were selling the box-set in their Black Friday deal and I missed the chance. What a bummer.

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old December 4th, 2010, 3:36 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Arrow View Post
Indeed! Narnia! Amazon were selling the box-set in their Black Friday deal and I missed the chance. What a bummer.

Really?! Damn! I ordered two boxsets with 50% off and I would have loved the Narnia set too

Old March 17th, 2011, 7:42 pm
First Year

I am shocked that I haven't read these books!
I must make a long list and get reading!

Old March 25th, 2011, 3:16 pm
First Year

i found a boxset of Narnia books in an Oxfam shop for 3.99. I was surprised cause the RRP was 34.99

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return - Moulin Rouge!
Old July 9th, 2011, 4:34 pm
Malum Veneficus

I read:

13. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
17. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
20. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
36. Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

I liked both Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Princess Bride, well enough. However, I wasn't really thrilled with Gregor the Overlander, that I didn't bother with the sequel. Also, while I liked the plot of Inkheart, I disliked the author's writing-style that I had to put down Inkspell, the second book, when I was half-way through it.

I have/plan to read:
1. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
2. Eragon by Christopher Paolini
6. The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
38. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old July 9th, 2011, 4:57 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemxens View Post
9. The Indian In the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
13. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
43. Sabriel by Garth Nix
45. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Sabriel is my favorite of the bunch: Check out Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. Apparently Garth Nix is currently working on a fourth book: Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen.

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old August 11th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Fourth Year

I've read,

I really enjoyed Eragon, and Inkheart a lot. But, as much as I like these two books I could never really get into to the other books in the series. Although , I've read Eldest..I just have no urge to read the 3rd book. The first book in both series are great when just reading them by themselves.

I just read The Wizard of Oz, very enjoyable and a very quick read. I had fun with it.

The Lighning Thief is a good book, I remember loving it when it first came out, been awhile since I've read it...

Books I wanna read,

28. The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
43. Sabriel by Garth Nix

I've read another book by Robin, and loved it to death, so I'll be willing to give another one of her books a try.

I own Sabriel, and it sounded pretty interesting, haven't read it though.

Old January 4th, 2012, 12:06 am
First Year

9. The Indian In the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
36. Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins
Not very long,but on 6,36,and 45 I finished the series affiliated with them.I hope to increase the list soon,though.

Old August 5th, 2012, 1:14 am
Third Year

1. Coraline by Neil Gaiman:
It was soooo scary! (I also plan on reading The Graveyard Book by him, I've heard lots of good things about it).

9. The Indian In the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks:
Read this in 6th grade, thought it was okay but I don't plan on reading the sequel.

13. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl:
Read this after watching the movie (the old version movie) and it was pretty great! I love Roald Dahl books.

14. The Secret of Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson
:
I'm soooo glad I came across this list because when I saw the book title of this book, it felt familiar but I wasn't sure why. So I did a Google search and realized it was a book I read a long time ago! I adored this book so much and I'm really glad it made it onto this list because it is so magical and fantasy-like (although I believe it came out before the first Harry Potter book did).

17. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke:
Great book, the sequel (Inkspell) is even better IMO.

33. The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
:
One of my favorite books in the trilogy, I plan on rereading it this week (this is the type of book that's better to reread than it is to read the first time).

34. The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau:
Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy this book when I read it.

:
Unlike most people, I also didn't enjoy this book. I guess Greek mythology is not my thing.

Old August 9th, 2012, 9:09 pm
First Year

Most of these are okay books. But I wouldn't go beyond that for many of them, bar Eragon, Inkheart and TERRY PRATCHETT.

The problem is, having grown up with Harry Potter, most of us would have difficulty returning to the more child-like style of writing that many of the listed books adopt.
I praise Eragon because it's timeless (my Dad reads it, and he's going on 60, and normally reads intensive sci-fi).
As for Terry Pratchett - 'The Colour of Magic' - one of the few adult novelists listed. Discworld is a most fabulous invention! Although, advice to first-time-Pratchettists:
Don't start with 'The Colour of Magic' - I'd go for 'Masquerade' or 'Equal Rites' or 'Soul Music' or 'Mort' or 'Wyrd Sisters' ... The best thing about the series is that you can read any single book by itself and it will make perfect sense - hell, with Pratchett, you can even read single passages by themselves if you just fancy a quick chuckle.
Brilliant writer, brilliant mind - very, very witty and intelligent commentary on society and life through comedic and fantastical form! I believe Pratchett would be a Ravenclaw. He's a real "mind-is-everything" kinda guy.

I hope even one of you ventures into the Discworld and discovers his greatness

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction