Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Book Recommendations v2

Old March 19th, 2011, 8:43 pm
Second Year

Re: Book Recommendations v2

Okay I finished two books last week that are definitely worth recommending!! I read an ARC of both titles, as they are not yet published (But will be soon)

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini - First book in a Saga
Based off Greek mythology, but in a modern setting - this book had me hooked! (published around May 31st in US, UK)

Divergent by Veronica Roth - First book in a trilogy
An awesome dystopian, set in a world with 5 factions that I finished within 24 hours despite suffering from severe migraine. Definitely recommended, especially if you love dystopian! The movie rights for this book have already been sold (published April 28th in the UK)

Both books are written by very talented authors, and are their first books. I think we can expect a lot of them in the next couple of years!

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2011, 8:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
I would! It's not necessarily a book with too much action and when I read it last year, I needed a bit to get used to the language and the imagery and the exceptional POV, but then I got hooked. I think it's a heart-warming, touching, beautiful book. If you decide to go through with it, be prepared to need a big box of tissues during the whole final chapter. But then again, tastes are different, so not everyone will love the book as much as I do.
I agree. The Book Thief is a fantastic book and I cried my heart out at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyducks View Post
Can someone recommend me some series of books that has complex plots, interesting characters, like the HP books?

I really want to read some good books but that the plot is complicated and not simple.
Have you tried any crime/thriller books? The best ones certainly provide lots of twists and turns in the plot. I would recommend Harlan Coben, Carl Hiason, Kate Atkinson and Christopher Brookmyre, but really I'd just suggest going into your local bookstore and browsing the crime writing or thriller section reading the blurbs until you come across a book that you think will appeal to you.

Old April 19th, 2011, 5:30 pm
Third Year

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Possibly one of the best books I've ever read - I could not put it down (I know it's a cliché to say that, but seriously!). I'm going to read the Angel's Game, which is apparently it's prequel or something this summer. The book probably isn't suitable for younger readers, but anyone about 15 and up should think it's amazing!

Old May 6th, 2011, 12:50 pm
Sixth Year

Totto-Chan: The Little Girl at the Window, by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi. It's actually Tetsuko's childhood memoir (Totto-chan is her childhood nickname), and it's a really inspirational, touching and funny book. When Totto-chan gets expelled from her grade school (though she doesn't know it at that point) for misbehaviour (staring out of the classroom window at street musicians, saying "how-do-you-do" to sparrows in the middle of class, opening and closing her table top with loud bangs, e.t.c) Totto-chan's mother enrolls her into a school called Tomoe, run by Mr. Kobayashi.

Mr. Kobayashi studied childhood education in America, and uses a more expressive and unconventional educational system in his school. For example, instead of normal periods, the students are free to choose which to study first. Of course, the teachers will help them if they need help, or if they feel they need to explain a question. For lower grades like Totto-chan's, they are also given this autonomy, though in a much smaller scale. The school is actually a few old train carriages and very small, about ten students to a grade because of this system. There are also handicapped students in the school; Totto-chan's best friend Yasuaki-chan had polio. Character developement and appreciation of arts, nature and music is as important as the lessons themselves. The school burns down during the war. Mr. Kobayashi wants to build a better school, but it never happened.

At the end, Tetsuko writes about her classmates, who all are successful in their careers and lives. Most of them are in their dream jobs, which they had wanted to do since their school days at Tomoe. For example, Tai-chan, who does experiments in class (and who was a childhood crush of Totto-chan) grows up to become a famous scientist.

I loved the book because of the character of Totto-chan, who overcomes initial adversary and rejection from her peers to become a confident young lady when she graduates. Even though her wish of becoming a teacher at Tomoe is never fulfilled, she has made the spirit of Tomoe come alive within my heart.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old July 28th, 2011, 5:01 am
Second Year

I highly recommend The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It's historical fiction, but there are some truly fantastic occurrences in it. It's based around Dracula, someone I've never read much about. It was fascinating

Proud Gryffindor
GoldScale60 POTTERMORE. FOREVERMORE.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:34 pm
First Year

I must recommend the award-winning Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness. It is about a boy and girl and how they struggle through their world with only their friendship to count on against their enemies. It follows them after they discover that their worlds are lies and they have to run from people who wish to take them for various purposes. As the books progress their friendship grows but so do their enemies and the constant twists mean that you never know what it coming.
It is set in a different world and can seem quite strange when first opened and confusing but it quickly clears up.
It can get quite dark and sad but it is incredible and powerful. It is highly though-provoking about subjects such as war, murder and growing up so for all those who enjoy adventure thrillers I can't recommend this more.
Other series such as Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (see Eragon movie) and The books of Pellinor by Alison Croggon are similar to the Harry Potter series, which therefore are easy to recommend!

Love how the books will never get old
Live the lessons that Harry teaches us
Pottermore Username: LumosHazel177-GRYFFINDOR
Old August 21st, 2011, 2:03 pm
Second Year

Anything by Robert Rankin. His books are maybe a bit SF like, but mostly I find them just hilarious and very cleverly written. Also, most of his characters come back in his other books, even though the books might not (always) be part of a series.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.
Awesome. Heartbreaking. Brilliant.

Oh, and I'm a sucker for autobiographies. Here are some I absolutely loved:

Lucky Man - Michael J. Fox
Life - Keith Richards
My Booky Wook 1 & 2 - Russell Brand
Bossypants - Tina Fey
Unbearable Lightness - Portia de Rossi
Just Friends - Patti Smith
Chronicles Volume 1 - Bob Dylan

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old August 22nd, 2011, 7:46 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Jane Eyre!!! It's a delight of a read. 170 years later it still sounds intensely personal, urging, passionate and powerful. Everyone should read this absolute masterpiece. I don't know why it took me so long to pick it up.

Old September 9th, 2011, 2:50 pm
Third Year

The Hunger Games -Trilogy,
It's really good and kind of addicting...

Old October 21st, 2011, 7:51 am

Has anyone read Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood? Would you recommend it? I've read The Blind Assassin and The Handmaid's Tale and loved them, especially the former. Which book would be best to take up next?

Old October 21st, 2011, 11:32 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Has anyone read Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood? Would you recommend it? I've read The Blind Assassin and The Handmaid's Tale and loved them, especially the former. Which book would be best to take up next?
I haven't read it, but I found these comments by doing a search:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickerandfade View Post
'Cat's Eye' by Margaret Atwood. I have never been so sad to finish a book in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixa View Post
Best books of 2010, as far as I remember, in no particular order:
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
Beloved, Toni Morrison
Ulysses, Joyce
The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand (though it was a bit long)
The Famished Road, Ben Okri
Some Shakespeare plays
If on a winter's night a traveler, Italo Calvino
The Scarlet Letter, Hawthorne
The Waste Land, T.S Eliot
Easter Parade, Richard Yates
Timbuktu, Paul Auster
A room with a view, E.M. Forster
The Silver Chair, C.S. Lewis
These are the best, though I have read many more good books. These are just the ones that I personally enjoyed.

Atwood is really good. I'm a bit fed up with her right now since I've read many of her books and got another two for Christmas so I'm taking a break from her but will be back shortly. May I recommend Cat's Eye? I thought it was amazing and will reread it soon (which is something since I rarely reread books even HP).

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; October 21st, 2011 at 11:35 am.
Old October 21st, 2011, 11:56 am

Thank you so much for doing a search, Susan! Somehow that didn't occur to me - I only did a search for a thread on Atwood. Much appreciated.

Old November 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Second Year

Anthem by Ayn Rand. It's very, very short, but very impacting at the same time.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. One of the best books I've ever read.

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. The Potter series made me fall in love with reading, but this book made me fall in love with literature.

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Yes, it's a young adult novel, but it holds such true morals and lessons that apply to everyone, really.

And, anything written by Jodi Picoult, because her books are some of the most emotionally moving works out there.

Old May 30th, 2012, 7:32 pm
First Year

Legend by Marie Lu, Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth, Code Orange by Caroline Cooney, Time Quintet by Madelaine L'Engle, Delerium and Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction