Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Feminism: Definitions and Opinions



 
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old May 20th, 2011, 7:46 pm
FleurduJardin  Female.gif FleurduJardin is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4450 days
Location: Shuttling between Europe & US
Posts: 1,607
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I don't see how when people complain about the use of "actress". I think we should completely rewrite languages to get rid of that and languages that use a masculine and feminine form.
That's the point I've been trying to make all along. If a word already exists in the feminine form, why not use it? It doesn't make sense to me.

On that matter, you'll be interested to know that on all the probate papers pertaining to the settling of my husband's estate, I'm appointed as the Executrix - the probate court used the feminine form in all its decisions, and I'm instructed to put "Executrix" after my name every time I sign a paper relating to the estate.


Sponsored Links
  #122  
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:50 pm
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 5891 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Richard Dawkins Gets into a Comments War with Feminists

Opening Serve: Richard Dawkins made an unexpected appearance in the comments section of biologist PZ Myers' post at Scienceblogs.com last week. Myers was commenting on Rebecca Watson's recent experience being propositioned in a hotel elevator by a male attendee of a conference at which Watson had just spoken in Dublin. Dawkins got himself into hot water by commenting in the form of a sarcastic letter to a Muslim woman, pointing out how trivial Watson's experience in the elevator was compared to the abuses Muslim women deal with on a daily basis. "Stop whining will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and...yawn...don't tell me again, I know you aren't allowed to drive a car, and can't leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and you'll be stoned to death if you commit adultery," he wrote. "But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with."

Return Volley: Several Science Blogs readers reacted negatively to Dawkins' comment. "Did you just make the argument that, since worse things are happening somewhere else, we have no right to try to fix things closer to home? By that argument, I shouldn't complain when our local high school biology teacher tosses around idiot arguments because there are children elsewhere who can't even go to school? Or I shouldn't complain that my sister was raped by three men because far worse things are happening now in the Congo?" wrote commenter Brother Ogvorbis. Another commenter by the name of Forbidden Snowflake asked, "What right have you to bemoan the teaching of creationism in your country while people are dying of malaria in West Africa?"


Things go back and forth (Moreso in the link). Kind of like...here.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
  #123  
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:06 pm
Erinacchi  Female.gif Erinacchi is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2632 days
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Age: 24
Posts: 71
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

1. How would you define feminism?
Someone who wants to get men and women perfectly equal.

2. Do you define yourself as a feminist? If so, why? If not, why not?
I've been a feminist all my teenage life. I've noticed that at school boys are often treated... I don't know, more capable than us girls and I wanted to prove it wrong. Then... well, then I became a feminist. I don't believe in men being better then us females.

3. What positive things (if any) do you think the feminist movement has achieved?
Well, in some countries men and women are becoming more equal what comes to treatment and women aren't treated as servants any longer. Sadly this doesn't cover all countries, but the way is right.

4. What (if anything) do you think the feminist movement should be working to achieve now? What methods do you think should be used to achieve those goals?
In some countries (mostly Islamic) the female rights should be greatly improved. I don't know what methods should be used, maybe teaching boys from the beginning that women are important members of the society, not just servants.

5. What negative effects (if any) do you think the feminist movement has had?
Haven't noticed anything, except that some men seem to consider us as man-haters. Which at least I am not, neither my feminist friends.

6. Have you had any negative experiences of feminists in RL?
Nope.

7. Do you feel there are any common misconceptions about feminism and what would you say to someone who holds these misconceptions?
Well, some boys in my school have asked me if I hate men. I always say that I don't. I'm a feminist, but I still dream about a boyfriend, and I have some boys as friends. I'm trying to treat all my friends, whether men or women, equally.


__________________
"I'll join you when hell freezes over. Dumbledore's Army!"
~Neville Longbottom
  #124  
Old July 22nd, 2011, 1:08 pm
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 5891 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinacchi View Post
1. How would you define feminism?
Someone who wants to get men and women perfectly equal.

2. Do you define yourself as a feminist? If so, why? If not, why not?
I've been a feminist all my teenage life. I've noticed that at school boys are often treated... I don't know, more capable than us girls and I wanted to prove it wrong. Then... well, then I became a feminist. I don't believe in men being better then us females.
That word "capable" is tricky.

Mentally capable, or to have the appropriate attitudes, outlooks for some jobs for example, wouldn't be much of a problem in "equality."
Physically capable however is another story.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
  #125  
Old August 4th, 2011, 8:05 am
ephydriads  Female.gif ephydriads is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2605 days
Posts: 3
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

[list=1][*]How would you define feminism?
The belief that men and woman should have equal opportunities.

[*]Do you define yourself as a feminist? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes.

[*]What positive things (if any) do you think the feminist movement has achieved?
Well, I can vote and get a job that should theoretically pay me the same as a man. Getting an education isn't unusual, nor is having an opinion. The ability to be independent is good.

[*]What (if anything) do you think the feminist movement should be working to achieve now? What methods do you think should be used to achieve those goals?
The whole double standard around sexuality really upsets me [staff edit]. I guess educating people is the best place to start.


__________________

Last edited by Melaszka; August 4th, 2011 at 10:49 am. Reason: Banned topic
  #126  
Old August 4th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Erinacchi  Female.gif Erinacchi is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2632 days
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Age: 24
Posts: 71
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
That word "capable" is tricky.

Mentally capable, or to have the appropriate attitudes, outlooks for some jobs for example, wouldn't be much of a problem in "equality."
Physically capable however is another story.
Well, I meant mentally.


__________________
"I'll join you when hell freezes over. Dumbledore's Army!"
~Neville Longbottom
  #127  
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:25 pm
PoisonusIvy  Female.gif PoisonusIvy is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2604 days
Location: Norway
Posts: 30
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

1. How would you define feminism?
Someone who stands for woman's right to have equal opportunities and make the same choices as men.
2. Do you define yourself as a feminist? If so, why? If not, why not?
Usually I define myself as an equalist, because I do not only "fight" for women's right, but men's as well (in cases where they are traditionally surpressed, like when dealing with children after a divorce).
3. What positive things (if any) do you think the feminist movement has achieved?
Lots! The right to vote, right to education, right to do the same work as men, abortion rights, rights to decide what to do with my own life and my own body.
4. What (if anything) do you think the feminist movement should be working to achieve now? What methods do you think should be used to achieve those goals?
I think women still should be motivated to focuse on their careers, because women still do most of the housework and take care of their children for longer. It is possible to split the maternity and paternity leave however you want it here (basically, except a few weeks set aside for each parent), but the mom usually takes most of it. I think we need to work on making it common to have a more equal share of share of those little duties, in everyday life.

On a bigger level, of course it's important to still focus on women in other countries and try to get them educated and working, so they can provide for themselves someday (like girl schools in Africa f.ex).
5. What negative effects (if any) do you think the feminist movement has had?
I honestly cannot think of any.
6. Have you had any negative experiences of feminists in RL?
No, none.
7. Do you feel there are any common misconceptions about feminism and what would you say to someone who holds these misconceptions?
That feminists want to surpress men and be surperior in society. This isn't true, we just want the equal opportunities to do what we want with our lives.


__________________
Her er ditt vern mot vold,
her er ditt sverd:
troen på livet vårt,
menneskets verd.
  #128  
Old September 6th, 2011, 6:45 am
Siriusandme  Female.gif Siriusandme is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4810 days
Location: Not where I'd want to be
Age: 44
Posts: 699
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

CNN has an article on female rescue workers during the 9/11 attacks.

http://us.cnn.com/2011/US/09/05/beyo...html?hpt=hp_c2

The comments are horrendous. A few examples:

Quote:
TrollByCarl
I bet those women made some good sandwiches for those brave and hard working men.
Quote:
tomeng marycarouba: ANSWER 1: There are few women because of sexual oppression. ANSWER 2: There are few women because they do not have the strength and courage. Now I expect that the truth lies somewhere in between. And as hard as this may be for you, you must accept the possibility of aspects of #2
Quote:
MVDouche Apparently there is no end in sight to the line of people that want to make 9/11 ALL ABOUT THEM.


__________________


"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
  #129  
Old September 7th, 2011, 7:18 pm
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3919 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
Posts: 2,591
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

The user-name of the first one is quite appropriate. I get the impression these comments are from people trying to stir up an argument.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
  #130  
Old September 7th, 2011, 7:36 pm
Melaszka's Avatar
Melaszka  Female.gif Melaszka is offline
HighFunctioning Sociopath
 
Joined: 4504 days
Location: England
Age: 50
Posts: 3,294
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

The third one is pretty ironic, coming from someone who probably watched 9/11 unfold from the comfort of his sofa and is now using an article about rescue workers who (whatever your view of gender politics) undoubtedly risked their own lives for others in order to make a couple of cheap jibes about women.


  #131  
Old May 8th, 2013, 1:44 pm
Sereena's Avatar
Sereena  Female.gif Sereena is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2404 days
Age: 32
Posts: 599
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatifically View Post
For instance, there are many POC who hate white people, but, because of their hatred, should we say we do not advocate helping them achieve their rights? Granted, every ideology (social, religious, political, etc.) has extremists one way or another, but this is a poor excuse to say that one does not support a cause. I think this applies to feminism as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I wonder how that "stigma" came to be at all. Since MOST feminists are not man-haters or extremists of any sort. Actually I don't wonder that much...
I know this is a late reply but I wanted to adress these points anyway. I think the man hating accusation is one of the most tiresome and hypocritical ones. I recently read about some protests in my country because a theater decided to play a controversial Valerie Solanas work. Many men took this to be a confirmation that they were right, that feminists really do hate men. The actress involved in the play received death threats daily and had to be provided with body guards (interestingly enough, the male director received no hatred at all). As feminists pointed out in the ensuing debate, there is no shortage of male authors who write texts which are degrading to women (either implicitly or explicitly) yet no one organizes protests against them nor accuses all men of being misogynists. (Indeed, it would quite tiresome for women to have to organize a demonstration whenever a rapper came out with a song describing how much he'd like to f-word a b-word.)
So I think all this shows how controversial it is in our society to question or challenge masculinity in any way or to express anger at the current relations between sexes.


  #132  
Old May 9th, 2013, 7:18 am
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4618 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 36
Posts: 6,431
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I know this is a late reply but I wanted to adress these points anyway. I think the man hating accusation is one of the most tiresome and hypocritical ones. I recently read about some protests in my country because a theater decided to play a controversial Valerie Solanas work. Many men took this to be a confirmation that they were right, that feminists really do hate men. The actress involved in the play received death threats daily and had to be provided with body guards (interestingly enough, the male director received no hatred at all). As feminists pointed out in the ensuing debate, there is no shortage of male authors who write texts which are degrading to women (either implicitly or explicitly) yet no one organizes protests against them nor accuses all men of being misogynists. (Indeed, it would quite tiresome for women to have to organize a demonstration whenever a rapper came out with a song describing how much he'd like to f-word a b-word.)
So I think all this shows how controversial it is in our society to question or challenge masculinity in any way or to express anger at the current relations between sexes.
Another case in point: Anita Sarkeesian at TEDxWomen about the widescale hate campaign she found herself a target of for her Tropes vs Women in Video Games debates. She was a target of a massive, organised hate campaign complete with death and rape threats and tracking down her address and personal details for the crime of making a series of debates about misogyny in the gaming industry - a very male-oriented, male-dominated industry that has been suffering from no similar hate campaign from supposedly man-hating feminists.

ETA: The video ends on a very hopeful and cheerful note so I recommend watching it.


  #133  
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:34 pm
Sereena's Avatar
Sereena  Female.gif Sereena is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2404 days
Age: 32
Posts: 599
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

I had watched some of her videos on Youtube and enjoyed them but I had no idea who she was or what the campaign was about. She seems to be a very brave and intelligent woman- no wonder she gets hate mail from idiots

Yes, online harassment is a serious issue and it doesn't just happen to feminists but also to women who express any modern political views or anti-racist opinions. It's a democratic problem because these threats aim to silence the women. Luckily, the opposite happened to Anita as the video shows.
It's interesting how the idea of gender equality is perceived as a threat to male identity and sadly many men feel feminism wants to turn them into "sissies", whatever that means. Some women feel the same way and also argue that feminism makes men weak which I think is a huge slap in the face to men who take their parental responsibilites seriously for example and don't subscribe to the macho culture.(Okay, I have to confess, anti-feminism women annoy the hell out of me. I don't excuse sexism in any one regardless of gender but with men at least you can understand why they don't want to lose their privileges. The women just want to gain some male approval, I suppose...).


  #134  
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:16 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 4918 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
(Okay, I have to confess, anti-feminism women annoy the hell out of me. I don't excuse sexism in any one regardless of gender but with men at least you can understand why they don't want to lose their privileges. The women just want to gain some male approval, I suppose...).
And there we have yet another reason to dislike feminism. General assumptions like that. No, I do not want to gain male approval. I don't care what others (man or woman) think about my way of thinking. I don't do it to please or displease any gender.

The difference between you and me is that I find the comments posted above (the ones about the 9/11 women) funny and true. When a comedian makes good jokes about women, even when he portraits them as weak and silly, then I am laughing.
When a women doesn't get a job, then my first thought is that she probably didn't have the right qualifications and not that the boss hates women.


__________________


The End of the Dream.
  #135  
Old May 12th, 2013, 1:06 pm
halfbreedlover's Avatar
halfbreedlover  Female.gif halfbreedlover is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5240 days
Location: somewhere
Age: 29
Posts: 1,985
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

It's quite simple for me. Feminism is about equality, human rights, and the radical notion that women are human.

I don't understand how anyone can be opposed to that. When I hear women say they hate feminism, I just can't help thinking "So...you hate having the right to vote, own property, make decisions about your body and reproduction etc..?"

That's what feminism is to me. There's no rule that you HAVE to be offended by certain jokes, nor does it say that women have to be hired for every job that they apply to. A feminist blog I read, once asked it's readers to name their favorite "Feminist Guilty Pleasures" i.e. things the readers know are kind of misogynist but enjoy anyway. Readers listed things from sexist comic books to sexist comedians to books. Personally, I have a weakness for celebrity fashion blogs. I think as long as you're aware that what you're doing is problematic, and you're aware that it doesn't completely reflect reality, then it is ok. Our culture is so steeped in sexism and patriarchy that it is nearly impossible to live your life avoiding all traces of it.


__________________

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by halfbreedlover; May 12th, 2013 at 1:20 pm.
  #136  
Old May 12th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Sereena's Avatar
Sereena  Female.gif Sereena is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2404 days
Age: 32
Posts: 599
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
And there we have yet another reason to dislike feminism. General assumptions like that. No, I do not want to gain male approval. I don't care what others (man or woman) think about my way of thinking. I don't do it to please or displease any gender.
Okay, but I think you misunderstood me, or I expressed myself in a bad way. I don't think anyone should be a feminist, I know not all women are into it. My problem is with people who are anti-feminist and this is based on the people I've met which held such opinions. Please don't take my comments as representative for the entire feminist movement. They are based on my personal experiences and yes I won't lie but those women annoyed me (one of them asked me for example why feminism isn't about men since 50% of people are men. I think we can all agree this is a silly comment). That doesn't mean I am annoyed with everyone who isn't a feminist. There are political and social movements I don't identify with either.

Quote:
The difference between you and me is that I find the comments posted above (the ones about the 9/11 women) funny and true
In what way are they true? As far as I can tell, they are degrading to the contributions of women to the relief they provided for the victims of 9/11. I don't see anything funny or true at all, I see men with low self esteem trying to make themselves feel better, which is what these online harassments essentially boil down to, IMO.

Quote:
When a comedian makes good jokes about women, even when he portraits them as weak and silly, then I am laughing.
That's perfectly fine but then I would also expect you to laugh when a female comedian makes degrading jokes about men.

Quote:
When a women doesn't get a job, then my first thought is that she probably didn't have the right qualifications and not that the boss hates women.
There are plenty of jobs I didn't get and I'm sure it wasn't because of sexism. But when people try to claim that sexism in the work place doesn't exist at all, that's when I get sceptical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreedlover View Post
It's quite simple for me. Feminism is about equality, human rights, and the radical notion that women are human.

I don't understand how anyone can be opposed to that. When I hear women say they hate feminism, I just can't help thinking "So...you hate having the right to vote, own property, make decisions about your body and reproduction etc..?"
Exactly, yes.



Last edited by Sereena; May 12th, 2013 at 1:10 pm.
  #137  
Old May 12th, 2013, 1:26 pm
Melaszka's Avatar
Melaszka  Female.gif Melaszka is offline
HighFunctioning Sociopath
 
Joined: 4504 days
Location: England
Age: 50
Posts: 3,294
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Just a reminder not to insult or dismiss other people (whether present on this thread at the moment or not) for having views different from your own. This is NOT a private members club for feminists to slag off people they disagree with - it's a debate thread where everybody is welcome. You can say, "I disagree with the view that...", but can we please avoid comments like "People who think X really irritate me". And please avoid making comments which imply that every reasonable person will agree with you. Respect alternative viewpoints.


  #138  
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:35 am
Siriusandme  Female.gif Siriusandme is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4810 days
Location: Not where I'd want to be
Age: 44
Posts: 699
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

I understand what people mean when they say they support feminism but dislike certain feminists. It sometimes seems there is a (small) group (as it seems mostly women) who go out of their way in feeling insulted/offended at everything that happens. To me (celebrity) fashion blogs are not sexist. They are about fashion. I look at them because these women wear clothes I'd like to wear but can't afford or would make me look like the Michelin character. If someone holds the door open for me I don't think he does so because he thinks I'm incapable of doing so myself and I don't see how some women could feel otherwise. To me this is not sexism. It's manners. I would never want a woman to get a job simply because she is a woman and if I thought someone offered me a job because of that sheer pride might force me to decline.
I'm not naive but I refuse to go through life thinking everyone out there is out to get me. I sometimes think women who do give feminists a bad name.


__________________


"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
  #139  
Old May 13th, 2013, 4:16 pm
Sereena's Avatar
Sereena  Female.gif Sereena is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2404 days
Age: 32
Posts: 599
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusandme View Post
If someone holds the door open for me I don't think he does so because he thinks I'm incapable of doing so myself and I don't see how some women could feel otherwise. To me this is not sexism. It's manners.
I don't mind men doing that either, my boyfriend does it. What bothers me is when men feel insulted if you don't need their chivalry or help. It happens to me a lot that men try to take my luggage from me even after I thanked them and told them I don't need any help. They insist that I am incapable even though I had been carrying my luggage by myself up to that point so obviously I can handle it. That's annoying to me because the point of offering help should be doing something for someone else, not doing it to make yourself feel good and then getting angry when you are refused.
Another problem is when these nice gestures actually seem false because the men who hold doors for you or pull out your chair at the restaurant are sometimes the same men who expect you to become more or less their housekeeper once you're in a relationship with them. Then it's no longer about respect, it becomes an empty and superficial gesture because the respect for women the gesture should imply isn't actually there.

Quote:
I'm not naive but I refuse to go through life thinking everyone out there is out to get me. I sometimes think women who do give feminists a bad name.
Of course there should be a middle ground between complete paranoia and denial that social injustice exists. I don't think that's why some people dislike feminism though. It's quite possible, IMO, that some people simply think men have more rights and possibly better lives because they deserve it while women somehow don't. I'm no expert but it's probably human nature to assume that those in power must be special in some way or better than others and if women just managed to be as "awesome" as men are, they would get rights and leadership positions as well. If that's the case, then there is no need for feminism.


  #140  
Old October 8th, 2014, 5:04 pm
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3919 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
Posts: 2,591
Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Here's something that's stood out to me lately. I will start by acknowledging that this is purely anecdotal and only based on what I have seen of online comments but I think it shows the truth of how equality is still not a reality.

Remember the reaction to the nude photo scandal - plenty of commenters were saying that the actresses concerned were foolish to take the photos, foolish to store them on the cloud, what did they expect, etc.

However, when a British MP (Brooks Newark) was recently caught sending nude photos of himself to a stranger online, the reaction was one of sympathy, of how unfair it was that it was a tabloid sting operation.

So the tabloid was in the wrong, but the hackers (thieves) were not?
The actresses and singers were at fault for taking nude pictures - that they did not send to strangers, and the male politician was not at all in the wrong for sending nude pictures to a stranger? The women took pictures for their own private use and yet are victim-blamed. The man sent the pictures to a complete stranger and is the victim who was deceived by the newspaper reporters. Hmmm. Apparently, it was foolish of actresses in the public eye to take private pictures, but the male politician in the public eye was a victim, who was deceived at the sight of an attractive woman and the idea that she wanted him?

My point is - if it's foolish to upload intimate pictures to a cloud, why is it not equally or even more foolish to send intimate pictures to a complete stranger? If it's wrong to lie to get nude photos of a man in the public eye, why is it not wrong to steal nude photos of a woman in the public eye?
It seems like the gender of the people involved is the only difference and the only reason for the different reactions.


Again, admittedly, this is only based on the comments section of a news site, but I find the differing reactions a reinforcement of the lack of equality, of the differing attitudes to men's and women's rights and the differing expectations placed on men and women.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; October 8th, 2014 at 5:06 pm.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 3:58 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.