Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Old July 24th, 2009, 1:04 am
Seventh Year

Re: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevrusSnape View Post
The hardest scenes for me to watch were all the scenes involving Harry and Ginny. I didn't really feel that they did a good job on those. I thought the time they were in the ROR was the worst of the bunch and the worst line was when she brings up his shoelace
I agree. Those were a little hard to watch bC of how awkward they were.

As for hardest to watch emotionally, I would say Dumbledore drinking the potion.

POTTERMORE USERNAME: FelicisNimbus168
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME ON POTTERMORE PLEASE OWL ME HERE SO I KNOW WHO IT IS
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2009, 2:15 am
Fifth Year

Honestly? I thought the scene with the waitress was the hardest to watch because I thought it was just so pointless. Honestly, I remember thinking, "OMG. WHAT did they do this film? And do I even want to watch the rest to find out?"
However, I do think the rest of the film showed a marked improvement after that.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old July 24th, 2009, 5:31 am
First Year

I'm gonna have to break the trend here and say this:

the hardest part for me to watch was definitely the scene where Ginny makes Harry hide the potions book. I know the acting was a bit awkward, but realistically, the music that was playing and the way Ginny kissed Harry was just really emotional for me, because of past heartaches.

If I had to choose one other scene it would definitely be Draco crying as he looks himself in the mirror, parallel with his sobbing in front of Dumbledore as he tells him he has to kill him. Tom Felton's acting was absolutely superb.

Old July 24th, 2009, 5:55 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
Honestly? I thought the scene with the waitress was the hardest to watch because I thought it was just so pointless. Honestly, I remember thinking, "OMG. WHAT did they do this film? And do I even want to watch the rest to find out?"
However, I do think the rest of the film showed a marked improvement after that.
That was mine as well - it was not only completely out of place, but also seemed out of character. Harry in the books is not someone who would randomly hit on some waitress in a restaurant.

Old July 24th, 2009, 6:39 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
That was mine as well - it was not only completely out of place, but also seemed out of character. Harry in the books is not someone who would randomly hit on some waitress in a restaurant.
Hmm.. I never saw it as that, Harry hitting on her. I actually quite like this scene. It gave Harry a sense of normality, of a bit of escape from Voldemort and Death Eaters and all of the drama that was revolving around him.

I saw Harry kinda surprised that he has a chance with the girl.

The waitress mentions the pictures in the newspaper moving. Then she asks "who is Harry Potter?"

Harry answers "kinda a tosser, really..." which I could see Harry saying. To deflect the attention, but also, let's face it, he is interested in her but also, not exactly confident and comfortable.

Then, though not exactly confident and secure, starts to ask her, shy, insecure, not sure, etc...for a date or something, she says "I get off at 11:00" before Harry even has a chance to ask.

I don't see Harry hitting on her at all. I see Harry interested, but typically reserved and unsure, nervous, and the waitress basically implies "I know you are interested, I'm interested, let's get out of here."

BTW, loved her hair (coming from someone with long, straight yet FLAT hair.....)

Bring it.

[image courtesy of ArryGrotter]

Last edited by MoodyHarry; July 26th, 2009 at 6:00 am.
Old July 24th, 2009, 6:59 am
First Year

Dumbledore's death!! I cried!

And when Ron was snogging with that Lavender...omg...poor Hermione...T.T

Proud Member of Gryffindor!!

Nice to meet you, I'm Emmalee, but please call me Emma!
Old July 24th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Animaga terpsichore

The scene that was just embarrassing to watch was the waitress scene in the beginning. Harry was just way out of character in this scene. Another one is the Harry/Ginny scene in the burrow. (the shoe lace scene.) Just way too awkward.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends

Last edited by lil_snuffles; July 24th, 2009 at 5:51 pm.
Old July 24th, 2009, 5:23 pm
Second Year

I hated the shoelace thing...that was just awkward. And apparently there were lots of immature teenage boys in my theater because...yeah. You can imagine what they were thinking!

The whole "take my hand" line was really out of place and random too!

Old July 25th, 2009, 4:02 am
Second Year

You know I never got attached to Micheal Gambon as Dumbledor. He never had that twinkle in his eyes like Richard Harris did, he never seemed as loving and kind, he just didn't feel at all like Dumbledor (when he grabbed Harry's ear in GoF I just about had a heart attack because to imagine Dumbledor doing anything like that is completely unsettling). I don't think he is a bad actor, I just don't think that he acts the part at all. From what I understand he never read the books and he quite clearly has no idea what kind of a character Dumbledor is.

Because of that, I felt bad for him in the scene where he drank the potion, upset that anyone should have to go through that sort of agonizing expirience, but I just could not feel personal about it and so it was very easy for me to watch. Later that day I imagined in my mind the exact same thing with Richard Harris' Dumbledor instead (which I do with pretty much any scene of his) and my breath caught in my through and I had to sit down because it was so painful for me to imagine. I started to tear up actually, which hasn't happened to me in a very long time (not in a movie at least, I frequently tear up when reading the books). It's like watching Santa Claus being tortured before your eyes.

That being said, the scene that was hardest for me to watch was in the very beginning with the waitress. I sort of understand the thinking behind why they did it, but Harry is definately not the type to do anything like that, and I cannot see him being drawn in by someone whom he doesn't even know, at least not the post-Cedric and Sirius' death Harry. Especially not after hearing the prophecy. It just seems increadibly out of place for him at this point in his character development. Plus considering that he knows that he is leaving for Hogwarts very soon, I cannot imagine him taking even the slightest risk that he would get attached to anyone or that they would get attached to him.

I actually liked the shoelace scene. It was awkward yes but also had a very sweet touch of intimacy underneath that awkwardness. I felt that it was much more touching then a lot of the gushy romance scenes that you see in romatic comedies. It was awkward but no so much I felt that it made it hard to watch, and it was intimate enough that it felt touching without being so intemate that it was embarassing. In all, it was cute I thought.

Old July 25th, 2009, 6:39 am
First Year

For me, it was when Dumbldore drank the potion. It was really hard to see him in pain and another hard scene to watch was Dumbldore's death. It was really sad.

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:56 am
Second Year

For me definately the scene where Harry gives Dumbledore the liquid from the fountain. Gambon at that moment looked really really helpless, since I haven't been up to that part in the book (I haven't even finished it since like 2006 LOL) I saw that he was aging so much...

Below that is
Malfoy's scenes when he bawls his eyes out and the Bird's death (RIP Birdie)
when Dumby dies

Old July 25th, 2009, 4:14 pm
Second Year

Without a doubt the whole tube scene at the beginning of the film, because it's just so incredibly cringe-worthy. Also the part where Dumbledore has to drink the potion - it was very strange to see such a powerful, stable wizard look so helpless and scared.

He disappeared after leaving the school ... traveled far and wide ... sank so deeply into the Dark Arts, consorted with the very worst of our kind, underwent so many dangerous, magical transformations, that when he resurfaced as Lord Voldemort, he was barely recognizable.

Old July 25th, 2009, 6:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsDisciple View Post
You know I never got attached to Micheal Gambon as Dumbledor. He never had that twinkle in his eyes like Richard Harris did, he never seemed as loving and kind, he just didn't feel at all like Dumbledor (when he grabbed Harry's ear in GoF I just about had a heart attack because to imagine Dumbledor doing anything like that is completely unsettling). I don't think he is a bad actor, I just don't think that he acts the part at all. From what I understand he never read the books and he quite clearly has no idea what kind of a character Dumbledor is.
I felt exactly the same way about Gambon in the previous three movies, but I think he was brilliant in this one. The potion drinking scene in the cave, as well as the Malfoy confrontation on the Astronomy Tower were amazing, and for me, they were the hardest scenes to watch. (And yes, I cried. Both times I watched the movie.)

I thought Tom Felton was amazing too. He was even better than I imagined him to be, and those scenes in the Room of Requirement (as well as the tower scene) were so, so sad...

I also felt extremely sad when the Burrow flared up because that was something that didn't come in the books, and so it caught me by surprise. And to think of the Burrow being destroyed is just really sad! It's one of the havens!!

Old July 25th, 2009, 6:25 pm
First Year

Like most have already said, the cave scene when Dumbledore was drinking the liquid; while it was not the saddest part for me, it pains me to watch him going through that pain and suffering in such a helpless state. Plus the fact that Harry was the one making him drink it, made it even worst; definitely the hardest scene to watch!

Jonathan the Pygmy Puff! A proud pet of Ginny!
Old July 25th, 2009, 7:50 pm
Third Year

I thought that any scene with Harry and Ginny was bad, just did not like them.

Old July 25th, 2009, 8:22 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
Of course, after having hit such a low point, going below would have somehow violated the fundamental laws of physics.

Really starting with the worst scene makes all the following blunders seem minor in comparison . There are two other scenes I disliked: the attack on the burrow and the shoelace.

This said, the rest of the movie was pretty good. And to come back to the topic, the hardest scene was Harry being pulled underwater by the inferi (or whatever creatures) in the lake. Dumbledore drinking the potion was hard too, but I kind of expected it.

Old July 26th, 2009, 1:01 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevrusSnape View Post
The hardest scenes for me to watch were all the scenes involving Harry and Ginny. I didn't really feel that they did a good job on those. I thought the time they were in the ROR was the worst of the bunch and the worst line was when she brings up his shoelace
I agree , they were so awkward . Also I hated the scene with the waitress it was .. definitely the hardest to watch.

Old July 26th, 2009, 1:07 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

None of the scenes were really hard to watch. It isn't like OOTP where I close my eyes when Cho and Harry kiss (I don't know why, I feel like a little kid, but for some reason I can't watch them kiss. It's not like I have a crush on Harry or Dan or anything). I thought I wouldn't be able to handle Lavender kissing Ron, but I handled that pretty well. There's no cheesy scenes like in PoA where I can't stand watching Harry ride Buckbeak or his Firebolt. The emotional scenes I don't get too sad over. I guess it's because I know it's going to happen and I don't really cry at movies, though I suspect I'll be getting teary-end at the end of DH pt.2.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 26th, 2009, 1:53 am
First Year

I think the hardest one for me was in the cave. It was agony just sitting there, waiting for the Inferi! So scary!

Old July 26th, 2009, 2:34 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
None of the scenes were really hard to watch. It isn't like OOTP where I close my eyes when Cho and Harry kiss (I don't know why, I feel like a little kid, but for some reason I can't watch them kiss. It's not like I have a crush on Harry or Dan or anything).
Perhaps it's because you instictively know that Harry and Cho are not meant to be together, that it is a betrayal of sorts to the girl who really deserves him.

The kisses with Ron and Lavender were not hard to watch because they didn't mean anything. They were rediculous and had no real love behind them. Harry and Cho's was bad because there was real feeling behind those, but there shouldn't have been. It is like Harry is doing something genuinely wrong. Ron was just doing somthing stupid, so it isn't as emotional.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies