Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

View Poll Results: Which movie is your favourite?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 10 4.55%
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 5 2.27%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 51 23.18%
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 7 3.18%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 14 6.36%
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 16 7.27%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows Part One 27 12.27%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two 90 40.91%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 15th, 2011, 5:35 am
First Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaGaMoNsTeR View Post
Sorry for my ignorance but what is the Ulitimate Edition? Is it the 1-8 box set because I'm thinking about getting that?
The Ultimate editions have an extra disc of special features, which includes an 8 part documentary each with a different theme. EG. Part 3 is Creatures, 4 is music, 2 is characters etc.

uhhh they look like this:

Old January 7th, 2012, 5:48 am
Second Year

I've recently been delving back into the films after receiving the SS, CoS, OotP, and HBP Ultimate Editions for Christmas, and I have to say that there are several devisions made by either Steve Kloves, Michael Goldenberg, and/or the various directors that make much more sense when you are able to look at the films as a package. There are a number of things in GoF in particular that are greatly improved when you consider them in a wider context.

I've said before that I gained a greater appreciation for GoF after watching a number of behind-the-scenes features dealing with that film, but in looking at it in the wider context of the series as a cohesive whole, I've come to the realization that Mike Newell is my third-favorite director of the series, and that his approach to directing the film and adapting the story of GoF to film was actually perfectly suited to the direction in which J.K. Rowling took the overall narrative of the series, and the ways in which she evolved certain characters in the final three books. Even the way in which Michael Gambon portrays Dumbledore in the film, while initially jarring and seeminly out-of-place, is ultimately 'on-target'.

Newell's approach to GoF is also a perfect precursor and lead-in to David Yates' approach to OotP, HBP, and the two parts of DH because it really begins the trend of the individual novels' storylines being distilled down into a single thematic 'through-line'.

In fact, when you look at the series as a whole, it becomes clear that each of the directors ended up evolving the films in exactly the right ways to match where JKR was taking the story.

Last edited by DigificWriter; January 7th, 2012 at 6:05 am.
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:56 am
Fourth Year

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?
If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?

Out of all the movies I think that the Half-Blood Prince is my favorite. The emotion in that movie is off the wall. It is so sad throughout. From the opening scene to the end you just felt this weight over it. The soundtrack is subtle. Gentle and sad. The acting is really good (although this film isn't Dan's best acting wise, he really didn't have a lot to do.)

It's hard to explain. There is just something very poetic about that film. It's beautiful. It takes it's time and you really get to spend time with the characters. It isn't perfect (but what film is) but I think it gets points for the mood it created. Some say it's the funniest of the films but I think, in overall tone, it's one of the darkest aswell.

Now I love Prisonar of Azkaban and that's my favorite out of the earlier films but I can see me going back and watching HBP more than PoA for some reason.

Now my favorite moment is a tough one. I think it is in the Prisonar of Azkaban actually. It's the shot of Harry standing in the courtyard with the clock swinging behind him (after his class left for Hogsmeade). That shot always stuck out in my mind and summed up Harry's journey perfectly.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?
Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?

Well Chris Columbus did a great job with setting everything up I must say so I will give him that. I think you spent more time in the world with him. After that you were used to it as seen in PoA. Magic was second nature to everyone in that film.

One director for all eight? Nah. I love the variety. The series never got boring because you never knew what they directors would bring. I am glad that it ended with one guy though.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

Oh the trio for sure. I think one of the joys of watching these films is watching not only the characters, but the actors grow.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?
Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?

How cliche am I but Alan Rickman did a great job. He was a joy to watch since movie 1 and I loved how he was always in the background until the end. I'm sure there is atleast one memorable scene per movie with him involved

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?
Who is your favourite music composer?
Which soundtrack is your favourite?
What is your favourite music track?

Music has been one of my favorite things about the series. I've anticipated the soundtracks I think more than the films themselves sometimes! Just like the directors, I am glad in hindsight that we have different composers.

My favorite? Hm. Wow. Well John Williams of course. The themes he made in just the first 3 movies are still great. I didn't enjoy his albums on a WHOLE like some of the later ones but the first half of The Prisonar of Azkaban soundtrack is enough to win me over and is some of the best music of the series.

Now saying that my favorite soundtrack is The Half-Blood Prince I think, out of all the soundtracks, it's the most complete sounding. It's simple and subtle but the emotion is HUGE. I think it works so well because there aren't many action cues, which are great in the context of the film but not go great listening to on record (which is the fault of the PoA soundtrack) I just loved how Hooper used so few instruments and got the range of emotion he got out of it. Love it.

A Window From the Past is my favorite Harry Potter track. No contest. I think it's a shame it didn't come up with Harry went to his parents graves in DH1 or a little hint of it in the forest when they surrouned him. Oh well.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?
Best set design (props etc)?
Best special effects?
Best costumes?

I think HBP had the best cinematography. The sets for all the films have been incredible. Best special effects I'd say DH2. Costumes I never really notice much But they have been consistent with them which I love.

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?

One day I will attempt to watch all of the movies back to back. But as it stands I am very happy with the series. I think at the end of the day they are very entertaining. Each movie holds a dear memory for me and this crazy fandom I was a part of for 10 years.

I think it's incredible that we have 8 really good (and some great) movies that's all a part of the same series. If I were to rank the films right now it'll be:

HBP, POA, DH2, DH1, OOTP, PS/SS, GOF, and COS.

So as you see the later films are in my top which is a great accomplishment imo. I do love all the films though and I'm glad I was a part of the journey.

"In my life I have seen things that are unimaginably
horrific. I know now...you will see worse."
Old January 14th, 2012, 3:38 am
Curse Breaker

The movies

"Favourite" can mean too many things. So, I’ll break them down.
Best Film as a movie: Prisoner. This was, hands down, the single best film of the series. It did an amazing job of telling Rowling’s story of Harry’s Hard vs. Wrong Choices in accepted truths. The direction, performance, pacing, etc., all were top-notch.

The Film I most enjoyed: Goblet. It was not quite as good a film as Prisoner, but for whatever reason, I found that I just enjoy watching it more. The film does a really good job of telling Rowling’s story of Harry’s Hard vs. Wrong Choices of Personal Valour. I think my objections were that it was not as well adapted as Prisoner: some of the "clunky" aspects of the books remained in the film when I think that they could have been easily adapted.

Best Adaptation: Order. Rowling’s story of Harry’s Hard vs. Wrong Choices of Personal Isolation might be her best story of the lot: but the book is by far her worst telling of a story. The film did a great job of streamlining Rowling’s poorly editted morasse and really focused on the story.

Best Guilty Pleasure: Prince. It is fun, even if it did totally lose Rowling’s story of Hard vs. Right Choices in Personal Politics for Tween Sexual Alchemy.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
The best "single moment" was probbly Harry’s Patronus moment in Prisoner: that was one of the few "spine tingles" I got out of the series.

My favorite scene was A Prince’s Tale.

Directing

That is not a criterion by which I would judge a director: his/her job is to tell a story, not portray a world.

To that end, I think that Cuaron did by far the best job of telling a story. Yates did well in 3 of 4 films, and Newell did well in his one turn, but neither of them quite got to Cuarón’s level.

No, for several reasons. First and foremost, the stories are too different from one another. The first couple of films needed a director such as Spielberg who could spin a children’s tale in a way that would still engage adults. The 2nd two stories needed a surreal turn: Cuaron was great, but Rowling’s suggested director of Terry Gilliam would have been great, too. Order needed someone who could do "stark," whereas Prince and Hallows needed someone who could do young adult stories.

The second reason is that any director good enough that I would like to see do HP films was not going to committ to one project for that long.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore’s inside man etc.
The movies didn't really do these as arcs, but, then, most of these were not really arcs in the books, either! Neither books nor films did much with "coming of age" outside of poorly written romance (the Bildungsroman narrative style notwithstanding). Neither books nor films did much with Snape vs. the Marauders besides present it as a historical detail: there was no "middle" or "end," just a beginning. For Snape, it was not an arc so much as a "reveal" with one answer. Had the films followed the book, then we would have gotten the answer in Prince (but keep in mind that a lot of people rejected that answer then): the films simply saved the "reveal" until the last film.

The romantic arcs were done as well in the films as in the books, but that is faint praise at best! I did hope that the films would improve Harry+Ginny, and they did a little, but not enough to make it "good."

SPEW was a true arc, but that did not involve the protagonist, so it was well cut. (In a way, that is too bad: I liked the arc, but as it needed to be redone to have something to do with Harry.

That leaves the overarching plot of Harry vs. Voldemort, and that was pretty well done. The big "gotcha" of Harrycrux certainly was well tied-up in the end for both book and film. And we cannot say that it was presented more poorly on the films given how many Hardcore Harry Potter fans were adamant that Harry could not be carrying a piece of Voldemort’s soul on his forehead!

Finally, I would add that one constant failure of the series was to use short flashbacks to remind people of plot points established in prior series. In the books, Rowling always provided literary equivalents of flashbacks, with brief synopses of characters and plot points when they re-appeared. For example, why wasn't the Riddle from the Diary ever reshown in Prince or Hallows when showing people the destroyed Diary? Why wasn't the prophecy reshown when it came up again in Prince or Hallows? Etc., etc. If you are trying to communicate continuity, then this is the device for doing so. However, it was done all too rarely in the series.

Acting

Harry. He is the protagonist and thus gets by far the most with which to work. Radcliffe has grown into a really good actor, too.

None. I mean, it is cool seeing Radcliffe evolve into such a good performer. Grint did well, but Rowling provides so little for Ron to do that he does not get much of a chance: fortunately, Ron's lower moments from the books are largely cut, which will probably help Grint's career as being stereotyped as book Ron would be pretty bad for him. (I still am not sold on Watson as an actress.) However, I cannot call that a "revelation" per se.

The adult actors performed as I expected, having seen most of them before. (Well, I suppose that the series did reveal David Tennant to me!)

Music

The right score in the right moment can really put a scene over the top. I mean, think of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields: yes, Théoden’s St. Crispin Day speech is wonderful on its own, but against that music, it became iconic. Conversely, there was the horrid score of Chamber, which actually undercut scenes by being out-of-place.

The series had quite a few good musical moments. The Graveyard "thematic dual" was brilliant, as was the heart-beat based Battle of Hogwarts theme. Major kudos to those!

After the first two films, they all did good jobs. (Williams redeemed himself with Prisoner!)

Death Hallows 2. There are a lot of really vibrant pieces, and the score does a wonderful job of capturing the story told by the film (if not that of the book).

Harry in Winter. That actually captures the poignancy of youthful infatuation wonderfully, and the nice "misstepped" counterpunctual nature of the two themes foreshadows that it is to be a near-miss.

Goblet.
Order
Best special effects?
Hallows 2
Best costumes?
Goblet.

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?[/quote]
For the most part. With the exception of the first half of Hallows, the post-Columbus films did good jobs of telling stories, and Prisoner, Goblet and Order all succeeded in telling Rowling's stories quite well. I do wish that they could get a time machine and put someone other than Columbus directing the first two films. (Note to Time Travelers: please do NOT use Michael Bay, either.)

My biggest grip is that they should had been much more aggressive about adapting Rowling’s story to the cinematic medium: the greatest flaws of all of the films was adhering too closely to the books. I fear sharks when I am swimming, but not on land: it is the lions and T. rex’s that scare me then. It is the same principle here. We only have to look at how much more popular and acclaimed the Lord of the RIngs films were than any of the HP films to see what is possible with proper adaptation.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; January 14th, 2012 at 2:44 pm.
Old January 17th, 2012, 2:48 am
First Year

Just completed my own HP marathon. Watched all 8 movies in 8 days. Funny, but suddenly I think we Americans speak with a strange accent. Anyway, watching all 8 movies raised a million questions in my mind, which I'll have to sort out and post here on Mugglenet. My favorite movie is still Prisoner of Azkaban for its humor and artistry.

Old March 19th, 2012, 2:01 pm
First Year

My favorite is also DHp2 because i think it's so touching, dark, and emotional even though i actually have 5 favorites ie GoF-DHp2. On my list from best to worst potter film:
1.DHp2 ^
2.DHp1 ^
3.HBP ^
4.GoF ^
5.OotP ^
6.CoS v
7.SS v
8.PoA v
I didn't care for the first 3 films once the darker movies came out but i used to like them when i first saw them but not no more. The ^'s represent thumbs up and the v's thumbs down.

Last edited by HP4567fan; March 20th, 2012 at 8:09 pm.
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:03 pm
Seventh Year

Continued from the Hunger Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
The latter films, like HG, did very good jobs of telling stories. That's why the public and (frequently) the critics liked those films nearly as much as the liked Rings and HG. And that's why the public (and the critics) disliked the first two films so much (they are called "the bad ones," after all): they didn't tell any story at all, never mind the story from the book.
Quote:
Look at it this way: when all is said and done, people will not be referring to HG as "the bad one" in the series the way that they do the two Columbus films, and there will be no speculation about what "could have been" regarding Mockingjay's box office!
Ranking the HP movies is a completely subjective activity whether it's done by critics, by movie reviewers or by fans no one will have the same ranking or the same reasons for why they like one movie over the others. In the threads here in COS there's a group of people who claim POA is the worst of the series and yet there are those who claim it's their favorite of the series. Some claim that the Columbus films (PS/SS and COS) are the worst of all eight movies but there are an equal number who claim them as their favorites because they are arguably the most faithful to the their book sources. Many claim DHp1 is the best of the series but many claim that it was terrible and ruined the series. Critics often rank POA at the top of their lists and SS and COS at the bottoms but there are fans that hate POA and love SS and/or COS. Ranking the films is completely subjective.

Examples:
Jan Chaney of the Washington Post ranked the movies thusly:
1. GOF
2. POA
3. DHp2
4. DHp1
5. SS
6. HBP
7. OOTP
8. COS

Robert Daughtry of Yahoo!News ranked the films thusly:
(DHp2 is not ranked in this list as it had not yet been released)
1. POA
2. OOTP
3. GOF
4. DHp1
5. HBP
6. COS
7. SS

Rueben Pereria of the Examiner ranks them thusly:
(again, DHp2 is not ranked in this list as it had not yet been released)
1. POA
2. DHp1
3. GOF
4. OOTP
5. HBP
6. SS
7. COS

According to the fans it gets even more all over the place as many claim POA (which consistently ranks high on movie reviewer or critics lists) is the worst of the series:

(a sampling of fans top and bottoms picks)
Best: COS, Worst: OOTP
Best: GOF, Worst: HBP
Best: GOF, Worst: POA
Best: POA, Worst: GOF
Best: DHp2, Worst: GOF
Best: DHp1, Worst: HBP
Best: PS/SS, Worst: HBP
Best: GOF, Worst: DHp2
Best: PS/SS or COS, Worst: POA
Best: POA, Worst: PS/SS or COS

Ranking the films is completely subjective.

Saying "people will not be referring to HG as "the bad one" in the series the way that they do the two Columbus films" is therefore an inaccurate statement because there are many fans who don't call the Columbus films "the bad ones" at all and instead refer to DHp1 and DHp2 as "the bad ones" or OOTP and POA as "the bad ones" or HBP and GOF as "the bad ones..." No blanket statement like yours can be made with any amount of assurance that it's true in all circumstances.

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:17 am
Second Year

The movies

Order of the Phoenix was where the books lost me for a while, and it was only more recently with the release of the last book and the final films that I resolved to go back to Potter and pick up where I left off - with the book and film of Order of the Phoenix. And it's now my favourite movie (second favourite book after the Deathly Hallows). This film packs the biggest emotional punch for me, with the relationship between Harry and Sirius being so well built up, and then so cruelly ended. I wonder what a whole series adapted by Goldenberg and directed by Yates could have been like?

When Voldemort possesses Harry, that is so well acted by Dan - a true defining moment of the series.

Directing

I love Columbus' vision, and who knows what may have happened to the series if he hadn't established it as well as he did. But for me, the nod goes to Yates. The last four movies are consistently excellent.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

Tough one. Snape's story is the most enthralling for me, but by it's very nature, is not apparent until the end. And yet, the hints are there right back to the first film, with the quidditch match... so yeah, I think Snape. And all credit to Alan Rickman for that - legend.

Acting

Best portrayal - Snape.
Revelation - Dan Radcliffe. Who could have known when casting a 10-year old that he'd grow into the role so well?

Music

The music is vital to any film, it can change the whole feel of a scene. My favourite soundtrack is from Order of the Phoenix, and with the way Nicholas Hooper introduces so many new themes and makes them iconic, he gets my nod for the best composer too. But my favourite track - well, it's actually three in a row - is from Alexandre Desplat's score for Deathly Hallows Part 2, and that's the sequence from the pensieve to the forest. "Severus and Lily", "Harry's Sacrifice" and "The Resurrection Stone".

Best special effects?
Best costumes?

Cinematography - maybe the only time I'll give the nod to Prisoner of Azkaban.

Set Design - Order of the Phoenix. The Ministry of Magic is magnificent.

Special Effects - Deathly Hallows, Part I. I love the animated story of the Hallows. Part II would have got the nod, but for a disappointing depiction of the giants. Still a close run thing though. Order of the Phoenix gets an honourable mention for the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort, but a massive black mark for Grawp.

Overall verdict
Overall - yes, and whilst it would have been nice to see the whole tangling web of subplots dealt with, it was never going to be realistic in the constraints of a movie format. I think they did great.

Last edited by Peakes; June 5th, 2012 at 8:44 pm. Reason: Fixed rogue tag
Old July 8th, 2012, 7:22 pm
First Year

The first 2 movies....

Hi all,

Nice to meet you all, this is my first post. I saw the first HP film when I was about 12 or so, and I loved how he lived in a cupboard under the stairs because I did. I opted for this as I loved small spaces. The first two films were very light-hearted and I really to this day can watch them over and over. However I have seen all but DH P2 which I'm getting this month so look forward to that, I really enjoyed POA can't say exactly why that's my fav so far but maybe its because it is darker than the first 2 but still has some light-heartedness about it.

I feel lucky that I grew up watching HP and was a similar age to the characters.

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:52 pm
First Year

The movies

I'm torn between Prisoner of Azkaban and Half Blood Prince. For me these are the two films that best capture the tone of the books but do so via captivating visual cinema

So many to choose from but if I really had to pick one it would have to be the Possession scene from Order of the Phoenix. The way it managed to convey the sense of Harry's love protecting him from Voldemort was so powerful. It could have come over as either confusing or really cheesy, but it was vivid and beautiful drama.

Directing

Overall I would say Cuaron, but I really like Yates work as well

No, I think the approach they took was perfect. A really safe pair of hands, good at working with children, to start the series off. Then they experimented by bringing in Cuaron who created an ecstatic reinvention of the Harry Potter world on film and gave the series the shot in the arm and confidence in needed to continue in an interesting way. And Yates, a director with a more understated style than Cuaron but who was terrific at creating atmosphere and getting performances from the young cast, saw the series home wonderfully

Storytelling

Overall the development of Harry as a character has been really well rendered in the films. Daniel Rafcliffe spent the entirety of PS reacting to the older actors but in the later films he does a terrific job of showing Harry interacting with the adults on an equal footing and on his terms. Look at the way Harry talks towards Ollivander at the start of DH Part 2 compared to Harry's wide eyed and stunned visit to the wand shop in PS

Acting

This is hard. Acting wise, Alan Rickman dominated every scene he was in. But unfortunately he just wasn't on screen enough. At least he had the pay off the character deserved in DH2. I think I have to give this to Daniel Radcliffe as Harry. His performances got better and better and the scripts showcased this (see my reply to the question above about story arc)

Probably Jim Broadbent as Slughorn

Music

Very important and the Harry Potter films have been well served by their composers

Probably John Williams but I really enjoy the work of Doyle, Hooper and Desplat

I have to sit on the fence and split my vote between PoA (Williams) and Order of the Phoenix (Hooper)

Harry in Winter (Doyle) from Goblet of Fire

I adored the reinvention of the sets/costumes that PoA ushered in, and HBP I think has the best cinematography

Overall verdict

Very happy. They are by no means perfect but they get more right than wrong. They are very entertaining and I think display an artistic integrity throughout all 8 films to tell the story of Harry Potter in a way that is true to the themes and ideas of the books but in cinematic terms

Old September 3rd, 2012, 2:50 am
First Year

The movies

I'm torn between Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 and 2. PoA really sets the tone of the rest of the series, and I love all of the changes that Alfonso Cuaron made, from the changes in costumes to the alterations of the castle. As for the Deathly Hallows parts, I really like the whole storyline of the book, and therefore the movies, and I enjoyed the fact that they could include more due to it being stretched out across two films.

I'd say either the cave scene from HBP - Michael Gambon's performance there is remarkable - or else the Prince's Tale - an emotional and amazing performance from Alan Rickman, as well as Gambon.

Directing

I think perhaps Columbus in the first film, or maybe Cuaron's new direction with magic and such in the third film. Those aside, I preferred David Yates' direction of the final two films.
No, I like the different styles throughout the films, but I would have liked it if the directors worked more closely together to avoid continuity errors, and bring the films together as more of a series rather than stand-alone films, as they seem.

Storytelling

I'd say the coming of age story of the trio; their challenges and successes throughout the films are very accurately portrayed, and things like their struggles with Voldemort as well as their love life, all of them are greatly shown. I also thought Snape's story was fleshed out, but not as well or as in-depth as the trio's.

Acting

Either Snape or Sirius. Both were scripted greatly, and both are amazing actors.
All of them. I never knew any of them until Harry Potter came along, probably because I'm American XD

Music

Music definitely made the films. Other than the actors' acting among other little things, music sets the mood and conveys emotion beautifully.
I loved Alexandre Desplat's music, like Lily's Theme, The Diadem, and Voldemort's End. They're just great.
You'd probably expect me to say Alexandre Desplat, and his music is perhaps my favourite, but I also enjoyed the Prisoner of Azkaban's soundtrack.
The Diadem or Voldemort's End from DHP2.

I loved Half-Blood Prince's cinematography, especially during the cave scene, but I also liked DHP2's.
The final two films, I'd say; sets like the Ministry, Bellatrix's vault, and among other things. But I also loved Prisoner of Azkaban's, because Cuaron is the one who ultimately changed everything after the first time films.
Best special effects?
DHP2 probably.
Best costumes?
Dumbledore's costumes were always great, even Michael Gambon's bathrobes he always wore. I also loved the school uniforms after the third film, and not to mention Snape's and Voldemort's black robes they never seem to change.

Overall verdict

Not so much. I love the series, but I don't think they make a very good completed series. If you compare it to, say, the Lord of the Rings, you'll notice something: Nothing ever changes in the Lord of the Rings. Every character acts and appears the same from one film to the next, something which Harry Potter doesn't do so well.

Honestly, the final four films (probably due to David Yates' direction) serve as the most well tied. None of the characters really change, their appearances are consistent as well as their acting (perhaps excluding Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, who was still a little off in the fifth film, both acting-wise and costume (beard mostly)-wise). Then, if you compare them to the first four films, which change drastically from one to the next (uniform change from 2 to 3, drastic Dumbledore change from 3 to 4, unusually long hair for everyone except Dumbledore in 4 which the others lack)... and I could go on, and on, and on.

Old August 4th, 2013, 9:32 pm
Third Year

The movies

I really liked Half-Blood Prince because I thought it felt really different compared to the other movies. But different in a good way. It was also, IMO, amusing and I felt like it translated the humor in the books really well which some of the other movies didn't. Harry was great during the felix felicis scene and I also liked Ron's performance during the love potion scene. And the flashbacks with Tom Riddle were very well done. I'm glad they didn't make it completely black and white like in the second movie.

Probably the Infiltration of the Ministry scene. I thought that was so funny but it was also very suspenseful.

Directing

I actually liked Chris Columbus because I felt he stayed as close to the books as was possible. A lot of the older movies were more visually appealing but I liked the way Chris's movies were directed, plot-wise.

Not really because I felt like all the directors brought something new and fresh to the movies they directed. Although, I guess if it had been just one director than he would have had the time to grow and expand the way he directed the movies so they got better and better each time, kind of like David Yates did.

Storytelling

I think the Harry vs Voldemort arc was the most fleshed out. In each of the movies, Harry's confrontation with Voldemort was usually the climax point and it was expanded on enough that the viewer really got a feel for the struggle, especially in the later movies.

Acting

Probably Alan Rickman's Snape. I felt he stayed really true to his character and the Snape in the movies was just how I imagined him in the books.

Probably Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood.

Music

I felt like the sound track really build the mood for the movies. So I think it was important in that aspect.

I liked the first movies sountrack.

I liked Hedwig's theme and the Double double toil and trouble theme from PoA.

I liked the last movie's the most, DH part 2.

Best special effects?

DH2. I though the Battle of Hogwarts was well done and so was the dragon scene in Gringotts.

Best costumes?

Personally, I preferred the Quidditch costumes that the players wore in HBP. I know they were much more different from the earlier movies but they were closer to how I imagined a Quidditch outfit would look (although I don't know if that's how they were described in the books).
As for the Death Eaters, I always imagined their masks as being something like the Scream masks. But for the movies, I preferred the skull masks that they had in GoF. I think it made them look the scariest. But their pointed hoods kind of looked comical. They were supposed to resemble the KKK but I think it made them look like pencils.
The metal masks of the later movies looked too robotic to me.

Overall verdict

Yeah, I'm glad with how the books were portrayed and how the movies turned out all together. I liked how they got darker, visually, in each movie because I felt it reflected the books that way. They could have probably been better connected but overall, I think the directors and actors and everyone did a pretty good job.

Old September 6th, 2013, 10:54 pm
Snidget of Champions

I can't believe that I have just now discovered this thread! Some of my thoughts on the film series as a whole, then:

I always appreciate this question more than the interviewer, it seems. It's a common question I get being a conspicuous Harry Potter fan, and most seem to think that I can give a straightforward, clear-cut answer. Partly due to this, I've grown accustomed to just answering, "Sorcerer's Stone, partly because of nostalgia, but also because I think it best captures the magic of the world from the books." And I generally stick to that. Yes, the acting isn't the greatest from the 'kids'. Yes, it's childish and contrived at moments. But, for me, it is the best adaptation of the books, and, being a book devotee, I respect it the most because of that. I think SS brings to life the magic I felt when first reading the series (books 1-7, not just the first couple). I think the later films got bogged down with "Muggle-fying" the world, but SS (and CoS) keep the wizarding world foremost a world of wizards. It's an escape and a pathway into the books and fantasy.

Seeing Hogwarts for the first time as the first years are crossing the lake is undoubtedly my favorite visual. Otherwise, I love all the small, hidden bits of magic throughout (especially at the Burrow).

Directing

I like Chris Columbus's portrayal the most, as I think it is the strictest book adaptation. To me, book loyalty is the biggest criterion for portraying the wizarding world on screen, as the film is supposed to bring the world from the books to life. And many of Columbus's best incorporations (e.g. casting, especially the adults, and Stuart Craig as production designer) largely defined the rest of the series.

However, I do think Columbus's version was a very fanciful world, and I appreciate the realism that David Yates brought. I disagree with many of his decisions on scene selection, dialogue, etc., but I think he did a very good job of grounding the world in reality (i.e. making the world relatable as the films grew darker and less fantastic).

As long as the director would evolve with the story, yes. I would not want 7 (or 8) SS equivalents from Columbus, nor would I enjoy the first 4 films being done the same way as Yates' last 4. Each director seemed very linear in his approach to the story, so having multiple directors at least provided necessary variation as the story matured. But for consistency's sake, yes, I would have preferred one director.

The films really emphasized Harry v. Voldemort, and I think that is clear in how they are arranged and the messages they send. Otherwise, I think there is a strong emphasis on coming of age, difficult choices, and sacrifice.

Molly Weasley (though perhaps the script oversimplifies her character. At the least, it doesn't provide enough opportunity for anything but a very, very linear character to shine through) and Professor McGonagall. Purely on the basis of acting and appearance, I think these two are the most phenomenal recreations of the films. Hagrid, as well, though I think his script restricted the character in the later films.

More to come!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 26th, 2014, 9:04 pm
Seventh Year

How have I never posted in this thread before? Well, I think it's only fitting that this be the last thread I post in in Muggle Studies, and maybe altogether.

I hope I don't repeat too much of what I said in my individual "reviews" (quote marks because they're really more ramblings).

The Movies

I feel like I'm supposed to say Prisoner of Azkaban - most people do, it's supposedly the best film of the series, and I'm more a film person than anything - but it's Deathly Hallows (as one film, because it is one huge film). I can't separate it from its place as the finale to this series that meant so much to me over nearly a decade, but I do really see it as the most exciting, moving film of the lot. It's the series' best director at his most confident. It's the series' stars doing their best work. It's certainly not perfect, but it's a very rewarding conclusion.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies, which one is it?

I could name so many. There used to be a "favorite moments" thread - I don't know if it still exists - and I think I chose Voldemort's rebirth in Goblet of Fire (not the whole graveyard sequence, just the horrifying turning point with his rise out of the cauldron) as my number one. I'll pick something else this time and go with the possession in Order of the Phoenix, which gets to the heart of what this series is all about beautifully: love and compassion being able to triumph over hate and evil (and which doesn't play as mawkish as that). This is also when it kicks in that this is a series with a history - we've been with these characters long enough that this scene can and does punch us in the gut, and our time with them is closer to the end than the beginning.

Directing

Maybe this is too easy an answer, because he directed the later, richer movies, but, as I mentioned a couple paragraphs above, it's David Yates. None of the directors did everything right, but I'd say Yates was the best director of actors that the series had, and his portrayal of this world had the most depth and verisimilitude to it. Chris Columbus, Alfonso Cuarón, and Mike Newell were each strong in their own ways, but it's Yates.

Honestly, I'm not sure. On the one hand, I love the diversity that we saw, and for the most part, these are terrific movies. On the other, I wonder if some of the inconsistencies that bother me wouldn't have been there if there'd been one director guiding the whole enterprise. Every book is different from the others in certain ways, so for that reason having different directors tackle different installments made perfect sense - but the opposite could have made perfect sense as well. I'll answer, "No, I don't think so," because I don't regret not having a single director for all seven/eight.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man, etc.

Every arc, or nearly every one, was hurt at some point by something being left out or something being included but not explored enough. That said, I'm not sure whether to answer "the coming of age story of the trio" or "Harry vs. Voldemort." Actually, I think I have to go with the former, because that's what this whole thing is. I don't think I can rave about these films (which, for the most part, I do) and not choose that. I go back to these films for that journey. And of course, actually seeing Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson grow up over that decade gave this aspect more (or at least a different) resonance than it had on the page.

This is the section where I should say that, although I have my criticisims and nitpicks, I have a lot of admiration for what Steve Kloves (and Michael Goldenberg) did. These aren't easy books to adapt (and adaptation is not easy), but in general, Kloves (and Goldenberg) did a fine job of preserving what counted and keeping the spirit of it.

Acting

This is another hard one, particularly the "script wise" part. I think I'll go with Hermione there (even though not every aspect of the literary Hermione is represented in the films). Kloves' love of Hermione was clear, even if it did occasionally mean she delivered information that, say, Ron should have. Overall, though, my favorite character in the films (my favorite in the books is Dumbledore) is Snape, and that's largely thanks to Alan Rickman. What Rickman can do with a syllable most actors only wish they could with a speech, but it's not simply about the pauses and odd points of emphasis; his work is subtle, amusing, and always fascinating.

It has to be one of the younger actors - "one of the kids," I was going to say, even though I'm in the same age range - because it's not like I was surprised at how good Alan Rickman was, or how good Helena Bonham Carter was, or how good Ralph Fiennes was, etc. I thought about Evanna Lynch, because Evanna simply is Luna Lovegood. I thought about Emma, because she's the one who stood out immediately as the most natural and charming of the trio. I'm going with Dan Radcliffe, though, because although he's really good in Sorcerer's Stone (not as good in Chamber of Secrets), he improved exponentially in Prisoner of Azkaban, and again in Goblet of Fire, and again in Order of the Phoenix. to the point where I really believed in him and in his future as an actor.

(By the way, don't get me wrong, Rupert's great too.)

Music

I wish there were versions of these films available without the scores, because that would be the best answer to this question. Music's obviously incredibly important (not just for me) - to setting and maintaining tone, atmosphere, emotional impact - and it definitely was to the success of this series. A film's score needs to complement the action onscreen, but not overpower it, and that's what I felt happened with every HP score (not necessarily every second in every one, but still). I want to be able to listen to film score separately, but think about the film or certain scenes/moments from it when I do, and when I listen to my Harry Potter playlist on Spotify, I see the particular scenes in my mind's eye with each and every track. It's the reverse as well: When I see Buckbeak's flight in my mind's eye, I hear "Buckbeak's Flight," and so on.

It's John Williams. It has to be - not just because he defined this wizarding world musically (not to undervalue that, but first is not the same as best), but also because when I think Harry Potter, it's always his music I hear first, which I love.

That would be John Williams' marvelous Prisoner of Azkaban score, the most eclectic of the lot. It's as if Williams heard the criticisms of sameness in the Chamber of Secrets score (and the Sorcerer's Stone score, to a lesser extent, I guess) and said, "Challenge accepted. Time to do something different." (I'm sure he was inspired by the imagery, too.)

Besides "Hedwig's Theme," right? I mean, who doesn't immediately recognize that as the Harry Potter theme? Who among us doesn't stop what they're doing when they hear the slighest bit of it? As he did with Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones, and Jurassic Park, Williams created a theme as iconic as anything else in those films. It's perfect.

My favorite track that is not "Hedwig's Theme" would be..."A Window to the Past" from Prisoner of Azkaban, so poignant and such a beautiful melody. Close behind it is actually "Dumbledore's Farewell," which is more devastating each time I hear it, and easily the best thing Nicholas Hooper contributed.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design, etc.

Cinematography's not something I can really talk about intelligently, but I'll answer this way: When I first read this question, I saw images from Deathly Hallows, and I don't think that's because it's the last one. That's the most visually striking of the films to me, which is one of the reasons - an important one - it's my favorite. Eduardo Serra did some impressive work there.

Which movie has the best set design? I probably can't answer "all of them," and I wouldn''t. Needless to say, but here I am saying it, Stuart Craig is a genius, and the production design in these movies remains staggering - insanely detailed, awe-inspiring, and right to the point where we all want to go to a theme park to simulate the experience of being in that world! For the sake of actually answering, I'll say Order of the Phoenix, for adding the Ministry of Magic sets (including entirely digital ones that actually aren't distracting) and the whole Umbridge element.

Best special effects?

It's clearly Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (I'm specifying which part this time because there were two post-productions), but part of me wants to answer Prisoner of Azkaban, because who doesn't love Buckbeak, and who isn't terrified by those Dementors? (I prefer those to the Order of the Phoenix Dementors.)

Best costumes?

I don't have strong feelings about this, but I'll say Goblet of Fire, because of the Yule Ball.

Overall verdict

I think it was two years ago that I watched the entire series straight through (took about 19 hours), and it played very well as one giant movie - not perfectly, but better than I expected. There are inconsistencies and missed opportunities that I wish weren't there - some of which were the result of different directors having different takes on things, some of which were the result of not knowing where the books were going and who/what would prove more important later on, some of which were just mistakes - but overall, this is a really impressive set of films. Yes, of course, the books are the better telling of this story (not because books are always better than their film adaptations, because that's not always the case), but the achievement here is remarkable. I haven't mentioned David Heyman's name yet, but he deserves more kudos and more thanks than anyone, because he led the way in maintaining such a high level of quality for more than a decade (and he just might win an Oscar for producing Gravity). That so much of this cast and crew stuck around for the whole thing and kept raising their standards with each one is amazing. I may not be critical enough, but I have combed through the film series and pointed out my issues, and they're miniscule compared to the huge triumphs.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; January 27th, 2014 at 12:35 am.
Old February 25th, 2014, 6:05 am
Second Year

I'll rank the eight movies from my favorite to least favorite:

1. PoA

2. DH: 1

3. OotP

4. CoS

5. SS

6. HBP

7. DH: 2

8. GoF