Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Questions for the Indians

Old July 1st, 2006, 9:07 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Questions for the Indians

Hi
This thread is similar to its British,American and Aussie version..........
Any questions abt India........shoot!
Answers will be given rightaway...........
Please do ask............................I'm very bored here.......
bye
Rose

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2006, 2:14 pm
First Year

Re: Questions for the Indians

HEYYY!!!
I'm Indian too!! I hope people ask questions in here.

Old July 1st, 2006, 4:38 pm
Sixth Year

Sup India. Anyway, question about general diet over there. What sort of things do people eat at different times of day?

Also, is the caste system over there still in effect or is that much more of an old idea?

i'm in slytherin!
Old July 4th, 2006, 1:16 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

The general diet in South India is mostly vegetarian..........North India is a bit more towards non-veg.
Morning in the South ,it usually is something like idli,dosa[made of
In the north;chapathis,poori[made of wheat flour]
afternoon its mainly rice,papad,veggies,sambar,sabji[stirred or fried veggies],dal[lentils]..........it is quite healthy and yummy
Nights might be rice or chapattis
But nowadays it is a mix-match of north and south indian foods.....
If u happen to come to india,make sure u taste all these things and there are a 100 more yummy things too
Food is something you'll never regret having in India[if u get it in proper hotels I mean]
The caste system isn't as prevalant today,but in some remote villages,it is being practised
It is a shame........
Keep asking.............

oh and KRSPotter,where in India r u from?
I'm from Chennai

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; October 10th, 2008 at 4:29 pm.
Old July 4th, 2006, 6:10 pm
Fourth Year

In India, do you still use the caste system, or is everybody pretty much equal? We learned in history class that it was outlawed in the 1950's, but people still follow it. I was just wondering how much it acutually affects peoples' daily lives.

“That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children’s tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.”

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Old July 4th, 2006, 6:17 pm
Sixth Year

They just answered this question.

i'm in slytherin!
Old July 6th, 2006, 2:01 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Hi
crookshanks16 ,this is for u
well the caste system,affects the lowest degree.....................but nowadays the forward caste[there is a division like that ]is being penalised,quite unfairly
There was a big problem on the issue of reservation in Colleges,where forward castes with 97% marks aren't being admitted,while the backward with 75% are admitted
Someone I know was refused admission in a college with94%.He is studying in theU.S now
Alot of people are of the opinion that reservations and other permits must be based on ECONOMY,not caste...................well,thats almost everything recently abt the caste system
it brings us quite a lot of shame................u say India,and the first thing that comes to mind for a lot of people[no offence] is the caste system
It is our fault,but a lot of it is changing for the better

Rita Skeeter was here
Old July 6th, 2006, 3:09 pm
First Year

I'm sorry that this may sound stereotypical but, from what I have seen on television India...is like a third world country! I am not sure if this is true though...also, is India as technologically advanced as places such as U.S.A. and japan?

I MISS DUMBLEDORE!!! !!!

I am in "REPRESENT!!!"

I'm a proud member of the Sirius is just taking a break/nap/vacation/rest/shopping/oh he is SO not dead club! Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders! Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders! add this text to your signature to join
Old July 11th, 2006, 1:20 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

India is not a third world country if u think third world means underdeveloped.India is a developing country..........and hopes to be developed by 2025.As far as technological advancement is concerned,India has great potential[When Bill Gates was asked from which college he would want to pick the staff for microsoft,he replied"The Indian Institute of Technology" and Infosys is one of the world's best companies]and will soon become as good as U.S.A and Japan

Rita Skeeter was here
Old July 12th, 2006, 2:03 am
Second Year

I was so sad to hear about the Mumbai train bombings. Were any of you CoS members affected? If so, I'm very sorry and I hope everything turns out ok for you and your loved ones.

strength in threes.
Old July 13th, 2006, 1:59 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Thanks for the support..............I wasn't affected as I am in Chennai
But it was a horrible day.................5 bombings in the morning in Srinagar and 8 bombings in Mumbai in the evening..........we r all praying for the victims and the beloved
But u know,Mumbai is such a great city,I am sure it will come back well
Terrorism can rock India,but not her spirit,NEVER her spirit..........
Thanks a lot for the support...............
It means a lot

Rita Skeeter was here
Old July 13th, 2006, 2:27 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose
Please do ask............................I'm very bored here.......

Um, yes, the main religions of India, what are they/is it? And does it have an impact upon day-to-day life, for example, does it affect education?

Old July 13th, 2006, 6:34 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateGirl

Um, yes, the main religions of India, what are they/is it? And does it have an impact upon day-to-day life, for example, does it affect education?
I don't live in India, but allow me to help :
The main religon is Hinduism, and yes, it has a huge affect on daily life. I'm sure lilyrose can explain more, but one example is that cows are sacred in Hinduism, so they have right of way in a lot of India!

and we're just like, how rousseau depicts man in the state of nature:
we're undeveloped, we're ignorant, we're stupid, but we're happy

[los campesinos]
Old July 13th, 2006, 9:19 pm
First Year

abt the religions- india is a secular nation and many religions are freely followed here! it is easy to say a majority of indians r hindus- but there r so many divisions in the one religion it cant be cast as a clear majority.

abt the blasts- i live in mumbai n tho i n my family were unaffected i kno of several ppl who were witness to the blasts-the trains are a basic means of transportation for most ppl in mumbai n they were tageted during the peak time (tho honestly, trains r prettty crowded all the time). what really needs to be appreciated is the resilence n spirits of mumbaiites who helped in evry possibe way without considering barriers of caste or religion ( i get the impression that most non-indians seem t thnk of indiaofa place with absolutely co communal harmony n i find it extremely frustrating bcoz that is not the case!!!!!) barely 4 hrs after the incident the trains were on the tracks carrying many ppl home...and life was back ot normal!

Old July 15th, 2006, 9:16 am
Conquering Reading Lists

mystique a:Hats off to ur city,it rocks...............This signifies how Indians stand united,shedding off any caste etc
Way to go,Mumbai
Salaam!
Karate kid and karate girl:
India has hinduism mainly,It doesn't really affect education,but day to day activities r different between different sects of Hindus........there is fasting on the day after full moon,some very orthodox families[like mine]forbid wearing black on Fridays,in some sects,they keep the food for the crows before they eat...........many such little customs.
P.S :I hope u guys ask Indians some other questions than Caste,Religion etc unless u have a very different question abt it.
It is getting very dullI hope u guys understand that we live in harmony,there r a few clashes,but nowadays,India is extrermely peaceful
More questions please...................................

Rita Skeeter was here
Old July 15th, 2006, 8:53 pm
First Year

@lilyrose

definately way to go mumbai!
i hav never been so proud of my city(n i am VERY proud of it nytime, nyday!!)!!

n u put my thoughts into words...imreally tired of ppl assuming india to be a country with huge caste divides....ppl hav got to understand we r a secular country...

also india is way more interesting than all that!!
plz do ask sum good q's!

Old July 17th, 2006, 1:41 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

agree with u mystique a......
more questions please..............

Rita Skeeter was here
Old July 18th, 2006, 6:19 pm
First Year

i would just like to say that i dont think of india as a country of divides when i think of india i think of tigers so my question is what do indians think of the plight of the tiger do they want to try and save it or dont they really care. i know some peasants in the country sometimes poach them but that is bcause they are deprate but what about people in the cities?

Old July 25th, 2006, 1:45 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

hi
eowyn weasley.........interesting questionand nice to hear that u dont think India is divided
the people of the citydo have a great love for their tigers.,but they r engaged in several other fields with only a few % who really bother,but u can be damn sure each Indian is proud of having the tiger as our national animal...............there was and is an environmental program called Project Tiger to save the tigers...............we have several wildlife,tiger enthusiasts especially Valmik Thapar[i m not sure abt his name]
u love tigers i guess.............
Do come to India and see the Royal Bengal tiger,...............it is SO VERY ROYAL........
ASK MORE QUESTIONS
BYE
LILYROSE

Rita Skeeter was here
Old August 14th, 2006, 2:26 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

hi
A VERY HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY TO ALL INDIANS
have a great day..............and needless to say,be proud of being born in such a great land.
And ask questions if u have any,
Bye,
Rose

Rita Skeeter was here
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall