Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Old May 10th, 2007, 2:02 am
Second Year

Re: Things You Just Don't Get In Math Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnypotter19 View Post
Are there ever questions that you ask the teacher or your parents/guardian and they just can't answer them? Well, I know how you feel, I'm suffering with a low A in math and hardly get most of the Algrabra that I'm supposed to know by Highschool, but the math now, I'm going to miss because I've just started to get used to it!
Last year i bought this book called "the Princeton Review Math Smart." It's supposed to be a help aid for the GRE, which is all 9th grade math. i finally understood things i'd never been able to understand before. totally awesome.

i reccomend it to anybody doing high school math. it's really helpful. you can find it here.

Last edited by ted baker; May 10th, 2007 at 7:46 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2007, 6:47 am
Fifth Year

Can someone please explain a unit circle to me? We rushed through it because we had spent too much time on quadratic functions this year and I have no idea how on earth radians relate to degrees except it has something to do with the unit circle and 2 pi equaling 360.

Old May 11th, 2007, 7:20 am
Second Year

Im studyin for a maths test right now,and if i dont pass ill have to spend the summer studying for the repeat in august what i really dont get is trigonometry especially trigonometric integrals,if i could just get the hang of that id be fine.

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Second Year

I really don't get trigonometry,its soo hard but i think i'm all right at algebra

Old July 11th, 2007, 8:10 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
I really don't get trigonometry,its soo hard but i think i'm all right at algebra
See I actually get Geometry and Trig. Probably because it relates and I can see patterns. It's the same with graphing. Solving by graphing makes more sense to me then solving algebraically.

Old July 12th, 2007, 12:20 am
First Year

The real question is "What do i get in math class?"
No, I'm just kidding. I really really really hate math, but surprisingly I'm good at it!

"There's the silver lining I've been looking for," she whispered, and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhisky; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand at her back and one in her long, sweet smelling hair -- The door banged open behind them and they jumped apart.
Stupid Ron! he gets in the way of everything. Just kidding I love Ron anyway!
Thanks to Potterschic for my AWESOME siggy!!!
Old July 24th, 2007, 7:53 pm
First Year

Why you have to show your work if you can just look and do it in your head. It take three times as much time.

And Ginnypotter you chose the correct answer it's just common sense meant to throw you off don't worry.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:32 pm
Second Year

Me and math don't get along great.
I'm not bad at it. On the contrary I'm quite good at it. Except it's the most boring thing ever. So I never put much effort forth to learning. Once I do though, I do fine.

I have to admit, I hate finance. Doing Mortgages and loans and compound interest drives me nuts.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:48 pm
First Year

Every little equation is hard for me. T_T I'm mathly retarded.

The only thing I CAN get in math class is a low grade.

Old July 25th, 2007, 2:10 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggleboy57 View Post
Why you have to show your work if you can just look and do it in your head. It take three times as much time.
My school if you at least show your work and get the problem half right you get half a point...but if you don't then you loss that point[s]...

As for the whole math subject..I suck at it..I am in 10th grade now[haven't started yet] and the only reason I am not getting held back probably is cus the school I am going to..I failed math last year...I tired really really hard to..I just don't get it...along with that we have this really stupid sub that came every tuesday and thrusday and he confused the heck out of me...he does NOT know when to shut up!!!! I would finaly understand something..but then he would go on and on and then I would be like what? and he talked really fast ....as for my other math teacher HE IS THE GREATEST but he is also princable, so he got to busy and they had to bring "that" in he would explain things that I never got before and I'd get them in like a second..and he didn't over do it

Anyway rant over..I just hope they don't bring the annoyance back[it's what I call him ] cus I plan on trying my best at math this year and I know I can't with him teaching

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:17 pm
First Year

ugh, math sucks seriously.
just wanted to say next year imma be a Junior. and im only in Geometry. i had to take algebra I like 3 years in a row. and ive been told, and i figured out. that if your good at algebra you will most likely suck at Geometry. and if you suck at geometry your good at Algebra. so next year. is gunna suck worse. blah.

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:45 pm
First Year

But I love math... I'm taking AP Calculus this year.

If you ask me, the only class that needs to die a very slow and painful death is English class. I love reading, but all the questions like "What do you think the box of tissue symbolizes?" really annoy me. It's clearly asking for an opinion, yet I still get those questions wrong.

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKatie16x View Post
ugh, math sucks seriously.
just wanted to say next year imma be a Junior. and im only in Geometry. i had to take algebra I like 3 years in a row. and ive been told, and i figured out. that if your good at algebra you will most likely suck at Geometry. and if you suck at geometry your good at Algebra. so next year. is gunna suck worse. blah.
I suck at every singel thing in math....Algerbra I suck the most....I am in Intergrated A/B...which is pre Algerbra..right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstyles View Post
But I love math... I'm taking AP Calculus this year.

If you ask me, the only class that needs to die a very slow and painful death is English class. I love reading, but all the questions like "What do you think the box of tissue symbolizes?" really annoy me. It's clearly asking for an opinion, yet I still get those questions wrong.

I do not understand you people

You'd love my school then, we don't have a english class..we read for 45 minutes and the end of the school day..and fill out are logs about what we think of what we just read....[some kids are still unable to do this even if they have gone to that school the 3 years its been open, they just say the plot of the book I on the other hand was finished with them a full 2 or 3 weeks before school was over which made me able to pass History] oh and we get the rest of are essay credit by putting essays into history projects and science projects...

And I do get what you mean on the whole question thing...I failed something for reading cus I felt that the questions were more of a matter of opinion rather then fact...then I ended up in a stupid reading class

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:55 pm
Banned

I hate math, but maybe that's because my teacher this past year didn't really teach, dang it.

I now know how to complete the square like the freaking back of my hand, but English does not need to die. I had a phenomenal teacher for English Literature and Composition AP, and I got 4's on both of the exams because of her. English rox, math sucks.

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed View Post
I suck at every singel thing in math....Algerbra I suck the most....I am in Intergrated A/B...which is pre Algerbra..right?

You'd love my school then, we don't have a english class..we read for 45 minutes and the end of the school day..and fill out are logs about what we think of what we just read....[some kids are still unable to do this even if they have gone to that school the 3 years its been open, they just say the plot of the book I on the other hand was finished with them a full 2 or 3 weeks before school was over which made me able to pass History] oh and we get the rest of are essay credit by putting essays into history projects and science projects...
I wish my school would do that! Lucky you.

Next year I have to take Geometry Honors. Geometry is with shapes and stuff, right? THat's ok. I HATE HATE HATEEEE Algabra, though. Like those.....parabolas? Those curved graphs. I kept getting them wrong.

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:17 pm
First Year

I'm taking AP Calculus the coming school year as a 10th grader so needless to say, I'm lucky to be blessed with a talent in math. I do understand how people have a hard time understanding it. I've already given up explaining how I solve things to other people. I think math and English are similar because like how people see symbols in text differently in English, people interpret methods in different ways. It's kind of complicated and I bet few people will understand what I just said.

I do have a problem remembering the equations for conics....

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:22 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusLoveGirl View Post
I wish my school would do that! Lucky you.

Next year I have to take Geometry Honors. Geometry is with shapes and stuff, right? THat's ok. I HATE HATE HATEEEE Algabra, though. Like those.....parabolas? Those curved graphs. I kept getting them wrong.
I LOVE MY SCHOOL....TO DEATH!!!! I miss it though ....Can't wait till the end of this vacation... and my school is a charter school[altrintive[sp]] thats why they do that

I have always asumed it is

graphs I just skiped that boring stuff that was in my packet[we got a packtet that had to get finished and stuff...cus my school is to poor to get enough books] I was like to my stupid math teacher..I don't see the point, what is the point?? I am not going to become someone that needs this kind of math..then he's like Ashley don't say that to me..I am like what?? it's what I think!!!!!!

Old July 25th, 2007, 11:05 pm
First Year

For several reasons, I hate math. It drives me insane because my teacher has a tendency of putting stuff on quizzes, exams and tests that we haven't been thought and the stuff he actually teaches us he doesn't explain.

Old July 25th, 2007, 11:35 pm
First Year

I find math fun. I used to hate it. Just get a tutor for a year.

Old July 26th, 2007, 2:51 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed View Post
I do not understand you people

And I do get what you mean on the whole question thing...I failed something for reading cus I felt that the questions were more of a matter of opinion rather then fact...then I ended up in a stupid reading class
That sounds like my kind of English class. Seriously, English at my school just makes my brain hurt. Tell me how we ended up reading Shakespeare (again!) in American Literature (our junior level English class). I hate Shakespeare. Maybe he should've gone and stabbed himself with a sword instead of making all his characters do it. And guess what the senior level English class is. That's right, British Literature. But nooooo. We can't read Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or anything like that. We're reading Macbeth and some other Shakespearean stuff.

They say it's good for our little brains. Sparknotes, ftw.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall