Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Old December 22nd, 2016, 2:04 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Before anyone gets excited about rumours of Scamander novels, JKR has taken to Twitter to vehemently deny the possibility.

JKR on TwitterNo, no, no. There won't be Newt Scamander novels. Only movies. Calm down, there!
If there are, then I hope that they are properly novelized. Script -> Novel adaptation has to be as aggressive as Novel -> Script adaptation if it wants to tell the same story. There are as many cinematic story-telling devices that mean nothing on page as there are literary ones that do not work on screen.

Still, the movie did a perfectly good job of telling its story.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2016, 6:49 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Conclusion seems to be jumping the gun a little bit, given only one "dwarf" was considered! What about the wizarding world's dwarves? Too many data gaps, I expect. I also didn't see a clear description of which Christmas elves were used - important to know how morphology and magical ability characteristics were defined. For instance, it looks like the authors made some assumptions about Christmas elves that may have kept them more in line with dwarves (e.g., "short and stocky" build, "low" intelligence, "no" spell casting or magical energy). And considering the authors' conclusion that Christmas elves and dwarves are bound together by stone crafting ability, only one variable was used to categorize crafting ability, and no analysis was done to see how much of a contribution crafting ability is to the determined phylogenetic similarity. Based on the variables considered and observations for each, I'm a bit stickered as to how Christmas elves grouped so distantly from other elves.

I expect Newt would probably be more of a pheneticist than cladisticist, but I wonder if morphology and function alone are enough to adequately categorize these [mostly living] creatures! Your thoughts? I'd also expect Newt to experiment with the biological species concept quite a bit. Though the existence of half-giants like Hagrid would seem to shoot that one down!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; December 22nd, 2016 at 6:56 pm.
Old January 9th, 2017, 1:41 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
Certainly, there are pacing issues here. Halfway through the film loses some forward momentum and seems to drag along to show off all the magic, but a part of me finds these flaws excusable when there are scenes inside the case so charming and wonderful that they feel like they could have been directed by Steven Spielberg at his prime.
Perhaps we just have different opinions of pacing issues, but what did you find wrong with the pacing? It seemed pretty balanced to me. You can't always portray storyline/character insight if you're zooming around at a breakneck pace all the time, particularly when you have new characters.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old April 18th, 2017, 4:48 pm
Snidget of Champions

Jude Law cast as Dumbledore in the next film. Staying with the big name actors!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old May 21st, 2017, 10:35 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Finally saw the first movie. Thought it was ok for what it was. Loved the Thunderbird though . And Newt's connection to one of the Lestrange's is interesting.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old June 20th, 2017, 4:05 am
Fourth Year

I saw the movie. It has potential but I don't see it having the same impact that the other books had. I think most people loved the kids of the HP books and the whole British feel of the setting.

Old June 24th, 2017, 5:22 am
Snidget of Champions

I've heard some wish half of the movie was spent in Newt's case, as that's where the magic felt the most real and comforting (much like the first walk through Diagon Alley, for me).

I just finished watching the film for the second time in full (have only caught an hour here and there on planes since the theatre!), and it's growing on me. I still think the film feels a little too Hollywood, but that's the price of a film over a book. I'm beginning to reconsider my first impression that the Obscurus is too overpowered, as it's made pretty clear that Credence is an abnormally powerful Obscurial. But I'm still not buying the thunderbird memory swipe of everyone and everything in New York. One thing I loved about the original series is how magic was powerful but not too powerful: in the books it never seemed like magic could solve huge problems super easily - there were still limitations. Fantastic Beasts, for me, stretches those laws of magic that were lain down in the original series. Though I recognize that JKR kept magical theory relatively untold - probably deliberately so that there's flexibility for thunderbird obliviations!

WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 25th, 2017, 12:16 am
Fourth Year

It would have been nice to catch a glimpse of Ilvermorny. I think Hogwarts is what makes the Harry Potter universe so charming.

Old July 8th, 2017, 2:42 am
I want to believe

I've just seen this movie for the first time this past weekend. I thought it was a good story overall, and I loved the characters. Newt was wonderfully portrayed. It was interesting to see what the magical community was like in the US and how it differs from that of Britain. I also liked the tie with Grindelwald (and the necklace with the Deathly Hallows symbol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hesper View Post
It would have been nice to catch a glimpse of Ilvermorny.
Agreed, though I suppose it didn't really play a part in the story and so we'd have no reason to see it. Maybe it'll play some part in the next movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
But I'm still not buying the thunderbird memory swipe of everyone and everything in New York.
I didn't like that either. It felt too much like an easy quick-fix reset button. I would have been ok with it if it were limited to a few people who needed their memories wiped. But I did enjoy the Thunderbird.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old July 24th, 2017, 4:51 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
But I'm still not buying the thunderbird memory swipe of everyone and everything in New York. One thing I loved about the original series is how magic was powerful but not too powerful: in the books it never seemed like magic could solve huge problems super easily - there were still limitations.
Although I believe it wasn't the Thunderbird itself solving the problem, it was only delivering the potion via the rain/water system.

....I miss David Tennant....
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies